• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game music hall of shame: what’s your most HATED video game song?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Turn your volume high before clicking on the video, or you won't get the full experience.

Has the sounds of Beethoven. Drowning in a pool.

Man I remember this being such a step down music-wise compared to the other Sonic games. That sounds like ass.

I think Genesis must have the most poorly utilized sound. A few games sounded amazing (Streets of Rage, Sonic) but so many had that horrendous grating sound that can barely be called “music”

Pimpollo818

Sorry I know everybody loves this game but my vote goes to Overcooked 2’s map theme. It’s this insipid cutesy guitar that is just so bland and repetitive.

It evokes the feeling of waiting hours in an airport terminal for a delayed flight while some insurance commercial keeps looping on TV circa 2009.

What’s your most hated game song?

Very cute.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I have a few picks.

It's already been mentioned, but I'd have a hole in my soul if I didn't regurgitate a vote for the RE Director's Cut basement track that A. Had no reason to exist, B. Was abysmally non optimized with the PS1 sound font, C. was written by a deaf guy, and D, the deaf guy was actually faking being deaf. It's a fucking treasure box of a story.

Also, Final Fantasy X, orchestral version of Suteki Da Ne. Take a pretty whimsical and dark Melody, written and recorded with an Eastern flavor, and lay some ironic bittersweet lyricism over top. Good shit. Now take all of the cultural flavor out of that and replace it with a bog standard orchestra. Also, just have the tempo of the orchestra and the vocals be ever so slightly mismatched, just enough to sound sour every other measure or so, but not enough to outright call it a mistake. Those lyrics? Without the original backing music, it just sounds like generic J Pop. It's a master stroke of simultaneously being a bad mix, and making the original recording sound worse by association.

Bonus answer: Anything put in a game before like '95, because, by and large, every piece was a 35 second loop that repeated until you finished the area or died. Anything sounds awful the 123,135,999,123,909th time in a row.

Drizzlehell

Banned
90% of the songs that have been put in every Need For Speed game in the past 12 years have been utter SHIT. The last game that had somewhat of a decent soundtrack was Hot Pursuit 2010 but it's been only going downhill since then, with the last two NFS games having some of the most insufferable music in the history of video games.

Also fuck this song with a chainsaw:

Cashon

Banned
I hate Guns 'N' Roses' Paradise City now, because of the menu in Burnout Paradise. I eventually disabled the track in the options, but it still plays a little before loading your profile.

Brigandier

This makes the song listenable.

Also I found remember my real post now:

Final Fantasy X's Wandering (also called Wandering Flame) HD Remastered version completely ruins the original song.

Some of the FFX HD Remastered versions are...not good. I can see what they were trying to do, but the mystique of the song is just ruined from the original versions. I used to be able to listen to this song when chilling on my deck of my old house and just vibe. I can't vibe with this version and it just ruins the overall effect of the song for me.

This isn't the only song that I think was really ruined in the Remastered OST. Really a shame, because how good the original soundtrack was; I don't think a Remastered version was necessary.

Oh my word I was about to go mental at you 🤣 but yes the remastered version is awful, The whole remaster of FFX's OST is disgusting.

Infamous.

What's a thread like this without CrazyBus and Directors Cut Basement 🤣

Guilty_AI

I guess I get it if people feel the Marvel vs. Capcom 2 music is good for kitschy value, but I hate it. It doesn't match the game at all.

Jam is good, problem are the lyrics. Or lack thereof

I WANNA TAKE FOR RURIDE
I WANNA TAKE FOR RURIDE
I WANNA TAKE FOR RURIDE
I WANNA TAKE FOR RURIDE
I WANNA TAKE FOR RURIDE
I WANNA TAKE FOR RURIDE
I WANNA TAKE FOR RURIDE
I WANNA TAKE FOR RURIDE
I WANNA TAKE FOR RURIDE
I WANNA TAKE FOR RURIDE
I WANNA TAKE FOR RURIDE
I WANNA TAKE FOR RURIDE

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Man I remember this being such a step down music-wise compared to the other Sonic games. That sounds like ass.

I think Genesis must have the most poorly utilized sound. A few games sounded amazing (Streets of Rage, Sonic) but so many had that horrendous grating sound that can barely be called “music”
The Genesis basically gave you access to a full synthesizer. Not everyone can make use of that. A lot of games defaulted to using the GEMS sound driver which uh… didn’t sound so great.

An interesting video was made the other day, where GEMS was used to make the music from Chemical Plant Zone in Sonic 2. It emphasizes just how limited GEMS was.

Thabass

Oh my word I was about to go mental at you 🤣 but yes the remastered version is awful, The whole remaster of FFX's OST is disgusting.

What's a thread like this without CrazyBus and Directors Cut Basement 🤣
Honestly, this just makes me feel better about myself as I'm usually correct about this stuff. :p

Brigandier

Honestly, this just makes me feel better about myself as I'm usually correct about this stuff. :p
The original FFX ost didn't need messing with... It was perfect.

The remastered wandering flame and Besaid Island tracks though 🤢🤮

Off topic but I did prefer the remastered XII ost though.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride!

Brigandier

Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride! Gonna take you for a ride!
I had that game on the DC... Obnoxious music lol

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Turn your volume high before clicking on the video, or you won't get the full experience.

Has the sounds of Beethoven. Drowning in a pool.

i actually don't hate that song. grating as fuck but it's pretty funky otherwise.

people talk about how it's ear shredding but it doesn't sound that much more intense than a usual song to me

then again, i like listening to noisy music so i might have just gotten used to loud sounds

Last edited:
...Some of y'all have it pretty good if these are your most hated tracks, hah

There aren't many pieces off the top of my head that I actively dislike or hate (the Sonic Spinball menu one does come pretty dang close though). In general however, soundtracks that are generic and unmemorable tend to be my least liked. Along with those that don't switch things up enough.

A somewhat recent offender was Soul Hackers 2. The music in general was just okay... but what was less okay was having this one repetitive dungeon theme used nearly all the time:

Don't hate it, but it absolutely overstayed its welcome by the third sewer dungeon in a row

The original FFX ost didn't need messing with... It was perfect.

The remastered wandering flame and Besaid Island tracks though 🤢🤮

Off topic but I did prefer the remastered XII ost though.
What did you not like about the Besaid Island remaster version? Personally I love the use of live strings. It's a bit more slow and calm than the original for sure, but the use of "disgusting" is pretty strong- so I'm curious

Last edited:

nkarafo

Mick Gordon's work on DOOM 2016 and Eternal.

It's not the worst OST i have ever heard, but it's a bunch of heavily processed instrumental sounds and over distorted guitars, while trying to sound edgy or something. I have heard worse. But what makes it especially bad is how everyone and their mothers seem to put the guy on a pedestal for these soundtracks. And he even got some awards for them. HOW? It's like i'm the only one who thinks these sound like shit.

Last edited:

Brigandier

It's not the worst OST i have ever heard, but it's a bunch of heavily processed instrumental sounds and over distorted guitars, while trying to sound edgy or something. I have heard worse. But what makes it especially bad is how everyone and their mothers seem to put the guy on a pedestal for these soundtracks. And he even got some awards for them. HOW? It's like i'm the only one who thinks these sound like shit.

I like most of the tracks for the Doom games 🤷‍♂️ his work on killer instinct was great too.

Sleepwalker

Infamous.

Ah the original shittyflute or trumpet I guess.

I would love to know the truth behind this one. It's either the one track Mamoru Samuragochi actually wrote, or it was written by his ghostwriter as a deliberate troll. Either way, it's hilarious.

I remember finding out the "truth" about this in a video I watched a while back but can't find now. Basically the dualshock edition came out at a point where most of the devs were working on re2, leaving only a skeleton crew for this one.

As they decided to rework the whole thing with Samuragochi's music, apparently one of the only 3 people that worked on the music for this game messed up the sound file or soundfont. The trumpet was meant to be voice and it was meant to be an actual spooky song instead of the clown car crash we got.

People out of Capcom have come and say it does look like an error to them but the 3 data editors and samuragochi/ghostwriter have not come out and said anything about it.

TL;DR: it was an oversight by a skeleton crew, no one found out until it was too late and Capcom most likely decided against reprinting the whole thing and just sent it out like that since focus was on RE2.

Here's a fixed version:

Last edited:

calistan

How about this - Fa-Fa-Fa by Datarock as a promo for The Sims 2. I've never been able to decide if it's awesome or diabolical, but it's hard to forget. I guess the original is sort of nonsense too, so it takes a moment before you notice they're singing in Simlish.

PanzerCute

...Some of y'all have it pretty good if these are your most hated tracks,
A somewhat recent offender was Soul Hackers 2. The music in general was just okay... but what was less okay was having this one repetitive dungeon theme used nearly all the time:

Don't hate it, but it absolutely overstayed its welcome by the third sewer dungeon in a row

I personally love that music, but I understand what you mean (and I think the general OST was pretty great).

Diofield Chronicles recently had the same issue, but even way worst tbh. There is only ONE battle music for the whole game. It is a really good one, made by the Game of Thrones composer, but damn after 35h you really hate it.

I personally love that music, but I understand what you mean (and I think the general OST was pretty great).

Diofield Chronicles recently had the same issue, but even way worst tbh. There is only ONE battle music for the whole game. It is a really good one, made by the Game of Thrones composer, but damn after 35h you really hate it.
No joke, I was legit actually debating when writing that post on whether to use Diofield or Soul Hackers as my example, haha. Definitely agree with you on that one
(Soul Hackers better soundtrack overall I'd say, but still enjoyed both games)

Brigandier

What did you not like about the Besaid Island remaster version? Personally I love the use of live strings. It's a bit more slow and calm than the original for sure, but the use of "disgusting" is pretty strong- so I'm curious

FFX is possibly my favourite FF OST and Besaid Island is right up there at the top for me, I just felt the remaster was trying too hard and changed it too much which resulted in me absolutely hating it as a replacement in the game, thankfully the original OST could be selected.

Is it a bad piece of music? No but compared to the 2001 edition it's pants.

FFX is possibly my favourite FF OST and Besaid Island is right up there at the top for me, I just felt the remaster was trying too hard and changed it too much which resulted in me absolutely hating it as a replacement in the game, thankfully the original OST could be selected.

Is it a bad piece of music? No but compared to the 2001 edition it's pants.
^To be fair, it wouldn't be much of an arrangement if it didn't do something different? To me, "hate" just seems like a strong word for something that as you mentioned, could be toggled in-game, haha. Sounds like it was very important to you, however- thanks for explaining.

I disagree with you 100%, but I respect you for sharing that take and why you don't like them.

Haven't played Eternal yet, but I've played through 2016 and LOVE the soundtrack, edgy distorted guitars and all. Fits perfectly with the gameplay, IMO, which I also love.

If I had to pick a "most hated" song in a game right away, it would probably be the cover of Radiohead's "Creep" by Alex in Life is Strange: True Colors.

In general, I greatly detest indie lo-fi covers of 90s grunge and rock songs. On a similar note, one of my most hated songs in a movie was the cover of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" from the opening of Black Widow.

Top Bottom