• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of the year tracker 2022

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
yawning-bored.gif

Mozzarella

I dont like that tracker stuff, they tend to include irrelevant websites and make their choice the same equivalent and the same value of a big ceremony like TGA, i mean TGA award is chosen by combination of multiple media outlets, how can this hold 1 point and a random website from Peru from someone who played 5 games all year (mostly cinematic) is also the same value (1)?
Seems unfair and unbalanced right?
Not to mention the countless outlets who literally disappear from one year to another, TLOU2 won 300+ but It Takes Two won ~85 which is a huge gap.
And one last thing is they also tend to include Instagram pages as well, the standard for these trackers are all over the place, but i dont want to crap on their effort, this is merely just a critique.

Anyway, 2012, Walking Dead? Journey?
Am i the only one who feels Dishonored claps these games of 2012? what were they thinking? lol

Last edited:

begotten

I dont like that tracker stuff, they tend to include irrelevant websites and make their choice the same equivalent and the same value of a big ceremony like TGA, i mean TGA award is chosen by combination of multiple media outlets, how can this hold 1 point and a random website from Peru from someone who played 5 games all year (mostly cinematic) is also the same value (1)?

Shhh OP needs their validation.

Bragr

Banned
The problem with this site is that it adds new sources over time to the point where you can't compare current games against games from other years. It also includes the litter of gaming critics, like Bob from some random blog. It's actually worse in the sources it gathers than Metacritic.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The problem with this site is that it adds new sources over time to the point where you can't compare current games against games from other years. It also includes the litter of gaming critics, like Bob from some random blog. It's actually worse in the sources it gathers than Metacritic.
?

It’s not their fault that more publications pop up over time?

You can always work it out as a percentage. E.g Ocarina of Time won a higher percentage of the available awards than something like TLoU 2.

Why are people so autistic over awards and sales. Go play your games instead.
This is super offensive and in bad taste. You should be banned for this comment. People struggle with Autism and it effects not only themselves but friends and families as well. You trying to paint Autism Spectrum Disorder as a jest or to poke fun at people is just sad bro, grow the fuck up.

Bragr

Banned
?

It’s not their fault that more publications pop up over time?

You can always work it out as a percentage. E.g Ocarina of Time won a higher percentage of the available awards than something like TLoU 2.
Well, it's their fault if they add nonsensical publications.

But it's not about fault, it's more about being incomparable. Percentages across 20 publications vs percentages across 150 publications are too different to have any meaning.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Brother, you play games 24 hours of the day? And keeping track of game awards take what 3 minutes?
Even though if he doesn't play 24 hours a day, then God damn talk about the cool stuff in the games instead of talking awards and MC scores.

yurinka

I think they should give GOTY awards in January because they are supposed to be the best games of that year. So they need to wait for the ones released in November and December (which btw always some of the biggest ones are released there), plus providing enough time for people who vote to play them.

I think it doesn't make sense to make GOTY awards in December, and even less in November or in summer.

But at the same time I like to see this website tracking all of them on real time to get a better idea of what games got more awards each year compared to the other ones.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I think they should give GOTY awards in January because they are supposed to be the best games of that year. So they need to wait for the ones released in November and December (which btw always some of the biggest ones are released there), plus providing enough time for people who vote to play them.

I think it doesn't make sense to make GOTY awards in December, and even less in November or in summer.
Exactly. This November cut off date needs to stop, let all games released in 2022 have a chance to get the GOTY 2022 award and give people time to think.
I’m not sure I’m even halfway through GOWR, would it be fair to still put it up against Elden Ring which I’ve played for 350 hours? I don’t think so.

But at the same time I like to see this website tracking all of them on real time to get a better idea of what games got more awards each year compared to the other ones.

Its the best games of the past year

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Neither game really resonated with me so I have no horse in this race, but it sure seems like Elden Ring had the type of resonating impact that you only see happen once or twice per generation. I'd be surprised if it didn't win GOTY across the vast majority of media outlets.

There's nothing wrong making in January 2023 the 2022 GOTY awards.

They make them on November or December because companies want to use the awards as ads to sell more games during the holiday seasons of that year. Awards shouldn't give a fuck about that.

There are plenty awards that don’t it’s just that know one cares about them cause they don’t get game trailers

The one that companies want to market their products at, that we all tune in for, exist because the monetary holiday money.

The keighlys are pretty much the VMAs of video game awards. If you want more game focused industry critiques of gaming there’s BAFTA, GDC, DICE etc

Last edited:

Well a few give it in Janurary, some in december/november but its usually a rolling 12 month period, so a game in december can qualify for 2023 if their 12 month period ends in november. I think that happened with some nintendo game.

yurinka

Well a few give it in Janurary, some in december/november but its usually a rolling 12 month period, so a game in december can qualify for 2023 if their 12 month period ends in november. I think that happened with some nintendo game.
Yes, I know. But I think that if some award is the let's say 2022 GOTY award, it should cover games released between the first and last day of that year.

I find it's always a mess to include games from the previous year, people almost forget them or doesn't prioritize them as the games released the proper year, if they win feels super weird, etc.

I think it would be better to make the awards on January and cover the games released during that whole year (from Jan 1 to Dec 31).

Just focusing on what I actually played most often solo/partied this year -
  • Apex Legends - so much content on time.
  • Halo Infinite (current season and game version, not launch). The campaign, recent coop play through has me eating crow about the campaign gameplay). Multiplayer with the new maps and a lot of flag modes + QoL over 12 months has really improved the game. Plus, region filtering for Australia !!!!! The OST is to die for as well.
  • Cuphead DLC - The Delicious Last Course. Ahhhhhmmmmaaaazzzziiiinnnnggggg.
  • Destiny 2 DLC - The Witch Queen. A precursor to Lightfall. I think Bungie might even take game of the year with Lightfall, not this time though.
  • Elden Ring - you really have to love this sort of grind to get better type game. I enjoy the bosses and world but the mechanics get old for me, I don't have interest in that microsecond timing or pattern waiting on repeat. I get why people love this shit though, game delivers.
  • TMNT - Shredders Revenge. So good, a brilliant new addition to the franchise. Get on this game with your friends.
  • Aliens - Elite Fireteam. Also just a brilliant love letter to Alien/Aliens. Perfect.
  • Solitaire collection - fuck you I still play card games in between server/upload/code things.
  • Forza Horizon 5 DLC - Hot Wheels. Fun. Fast. Looking cool.
Tough one. There's a bunch of games I play with my family beyond the list above, while I love them that's more the dad gamer in me. Above is just gaming for me.

Apex Legends has to be my GOTY. Again throughout this year the creativity, content and sustain from Respawn has delivered a game that returns friends in parties, makes you want to play again (win or lose or solo) and despite all the masses of asshats online make friends when you have a great game. The localised support for servers and community is brilliant as well. The next gen updates were a thing of beauty for Apex and the current season has really nailed their matchmaking for a far more pleasant and challenging game experience. I just cannot stop playing Apex no matter my interest in other games. So many great decisions from Respawn.

Last edited:
Top Bottom