• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Game of Thrones' Animated Drama Eyed at HBO Max

Jethalal

Banned
'Game of Thrones' Animated Drama Eyed at HBO Max (Exclusive) | Hollywood Reporter

The next Game of Thrones chapter could be animated.

An animated Game of Thrones drama is in the early stages of development at HBO Max, multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. Meetings with writers for the adult-leaning project, which would be similar in tone to HBO's Emmy-winning flagship, are already under way. No deals have been made and there's still a possibility that the animated series never comes to fruition.

Reps for HBO Max declined comment.

The animated idea is part of a larger strategy to expand the world of creator George R.R. Martin's fantasy drama. Sources say development executives at HBO — led by drama head Francesca Orsi and her group — are working directly with Martin on building out the sprawling Game of Thrones world. (Martin remains under a rich overall deal with the cabler.)

The franchise's expansion starts with HBO's House of the Dragon, the prequel that was picked up straight to series in October 2019. The drama starring Olivia Cooke, Emma D'Arcy and Matt Smith will begin production in the spring.

Other Game of Thrones ideas are also being kicked around for both the premium cable network and streaming sibling HBO Max, including a live-action take on Martin's novella series Tales of Dunk and Egg for HBO proper. (No deals are currently in place for Dunk and Egg, either.)

Sources note that expansion plans for Game of Thrones were in the works long before Disney announced plans for nearly a dozen Star Wars and another dozen or so Marvel TV series for its streamer, Disney+, during its investor day in December. While HBO previously developed a number of other Game of Thrones prequels that did not move forward, the emergence of HBO Max has placed a greater importance on building out Martin's sprawling universe. (All of HBO's original series wind up on the streamer the day after they air on the premium cable network.)

Any GoT fans excited?

Kadayi

Banned

Unless they're animating a redo of the last couple of seasons of GOT I doubt many people will care. I think HBO grossly underestimates how much many GOT fans felt burned by the series wrap up (and the book faithful already hated anyway). To be fair I don't think the showrunners and HBO expected GRRM to leave them high and dry with just an outline of the last 2 books to work off of, versus piss away the 6-7 years headstart he had on doing anything but writing the later books, and I'm curious to know if they were maybe hamstrung by contractual aspects with GRRM in terms of what they could inject into the storyline (like he had script approval or something), but either way I think for most people it will be a firm

its a no from me dawg GIF

They already shitcanned the first spinoff series and I don't have high hopes for Fire and Blood, because frankly, I tried reading GRRMs Targarian Histories it's going to be based on and it was some turgid shit. I'm not sure people are truly going to have that much interest in a bunch of dragon-riding blondies endlessly inbreeding and outgunning the Westerosi at every given opportunity, because the only smart choice in the face of Dragons is Surrender.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I was a MASSIVE GoT show/book fan but between the almost 10 year gap from the last book plus the limp ending to the show my desire to dip back into that world is almost zero.

Is ANY GoT stuff actually happening? Because if it is another year or more for anything to show up the interest will just die further. There isn't really anything to stoke the flames like with Harry Potter, Marvel, DC, or Star Wars.

About the only thing i would be interested to see is Dunk & Egg but i have little faith HBO wouldn't f' those up (bald Egg is actually a girl in disguise, Dunk wants to overthrow the Knight caste system from within, something like that) in the current era.

pr0cs

About the only thing i would be interested to see is Dunk & Egg
Pretty sure I read somewhere that HBO is actually doing Dunk and Egg, which could be good, less characters more focused/shorter stories.
They'll probably shoehorn wokeism and sex into the stories but I'm still hopeful.
Just keep D&D away.

Batiman

Banned
Ya I want more GOT. I miss the show greatly. Still my favourite series. Miss all the characters . Still haven’t found a show that fills the hole this show left. Was too good. Rushed ending and all.

I was a MASSIVE GoT show/book fan but between the almost 10 year gap from the last book plus the limp ending to the show my desire to dip back into that world is almost zero.

Is ANY GoT stuff actually happening? Because if it is another year or more for anything to show up the interest will just die further. There isn't really anything to stoke the flames like with Harry Potter, Marvel, DC, or Star Wars.

About the only thing i would be interested to see is Dunk & Egg but i have little faith HBO wouldn't f' those up (bald Egg is actually a girl in disguise, Dunk wants to overthrow the Knight caste system from within, something like that) in the current era.
house of the dragon, a targaryen prequel is due to premiere in 2022 i think

sol_bad

If the final season of GoT was one of the most amazing things ever produced I'd be hella hyped for this cartoon and all the prequel shows they have in development.
But to me they flat out failed that final season and I have zero interest in the franchise right now.

Batiman

Banned
If the final season of GoT was one of the most amazing things ever produced I'd be hella hyped for this cartoon and all the prequel shows they have in development.
But to me they flat out failed that final season and I have zero interest in the franchise right now.
I don’t really get this line of thinking TBH. Especially that they’re different stories. Would you not watch madalorian because you didn’t enjoy a mainline film? Would you not watch the new lord of the rings show because you didn’t like the hobbit? I mean if you liked the world and lore of an IP wouldn’t you want to watch something on that world? Seems a lot of people here seem to share your opinion but I can’t seem to understand why.

sol_bad

I don’t really get this line of thinking TBH. Especially that they’re different stories. Would you not watch madalorian because you didn’t enjoy a mainline film? Would you not watch the new lord of the rings show because you didn’t like the hobbit? I mean if you liked the world and lore of an IP wouldn’t you want to watch something on that world? Seems a lot of people here seem to share your opinion but I can’t seem to understand why.

It depends on the success/failure ratio for me.

I've pretty much liked all the Star Wars movies, new comics and Clone Wars cartoon. I also loved season 1 and 2 of Mando. If season 2 of Mando had a terribly botched ending, I'd still happily watch Mando season 3 and the Boba Fett series as the success rate is still high. If I hated the 5 movies under Disney and the Marvel comics my interest in Mando probably would have been much lower and my chances of watching it much lower.

LOTR on Amazing, I'm sort of indifferent about. I loved the LOTR movies, enjoyed the first Hobbit film and then thought the 2nd and 3rd films were quite terrible. The 2nd Hobbit film has one of the worst endings of any film, the left it on a cliff hanger because it's the "cool" thing to do with the middle story, then that cliffhanger is resolved in the first 10 minutes of the 3rd film. Force cliffhanger, that extra 10 minutes should have been in the 2nd film.
So 3 great films, 1 good film and 2 terrible films. I'll watch the series and check it out but I'm not excited.

GoT still has an amazing world and lore but the characters and relationships are important too. I'm not going to scream and whinge "character assassination" like the Last Jedi and TLOU2 haters did. But the things the characters did in the last season of GoT were just really weird. It felt like the writers didn't know what to do with the characters or how to resolve things. I mean, yeah, I mentioned above it's about the success/failure ratio is and for the GoT I'd say 90% of the show is amazing. The thing is, I don't know if I want to go through another 8-10 years of great story telling and potentially have them screw it up again at the end.

Soodanim

What you say makes sense, but imagine how hard they would have had to work to make Star Wars successful if instead of the OT Lucas got bored half way through Empire and ended it with “...And Luke turns evil, the end”

GoT was the biggest show on the planet, built so much up, and had so much more life in it. But instead of seeing that through, they caused a ridiculously sharp decline for so many reasons and brought down interest in the entire IP with it. They will have to work very hard to come back from that now.

Batiman

Banned
What you say makes sense, but imagine how hard they would have had to work to make Star Wars successful if instead of the OT Lucas got bored half way through Empire and ended it with “...And Luke turns evil, the end”

GoT was the biggest show on the planet, built so much up, and had so much more life in it. But instead of seeing that through, they caused a ridiculously sharp decline for so many reasons and brought down interest in the entire IP with it. They will have to work very hard to come back from that now.
I agree with you with them having to work very hard to get it off the ground. But like you said it was the biggest show on the planet, and that’s not because it had a good ending. It was loved because of the rich world and characters. With enough time to and the proper hype, people will flock back to it with a simple hype trailer regardless of how people feel about it now.

Soodanim

I agree with you with them having to work very hard to get it off the ground. But like you said it was the biggest show on the planet, and that’s not because it had a good ending. It was loved because of the rich world and characters. With enough time to and the proper hype, people will flock back to it with a simple hype trailer regardless of how people feel about it now.
I hope so, because I still have a lot of love for the earlier seasons.

While I’m here, a friend of mine bought season 8 the rewatch the other week. I think it was more the battle episode than anything, but there’s so many he could have picked instead.

Ionian

“...And Luke turns evil, the end”

Ionain says :

Busted up laughing at this, you hit the nail on the head there. What a waste they made of it.

People die, Bran is king? Truly laughable nonsense. Dany's turn on Kings Landing was barely even believable, her burning people looked kinda cool though. John killing her was seriously funny the way they did it, truly seemed like they had given up and just wanted to go home and count their cash.

Last edited:

Ionian

Not sure why my quote is off there, weird, tried to edit and can't. Maggie the Frog hast cursed me.

Soodanim

Not sure why my quote is off there, weird, tried to edit and can't. Maggie the Frog hast cursed me.
Sometimes you're better off deleting the whole quote (sometimes the whole post) and starting again with BBcode and manually copied text, GAF's quote system has some bugs on mobile.

I think the end of GOT S8 might as well have been filmed in front of a studio audience so Jon could get his catchphrase out and have the audience cheer for all the credibility the show had.

bitbydeath

I can’t even bring myself to want to rewatch the good seasons of Game of Thrones.

Maybe in another ten years.
HBO need to fix the show before moving forward with anything else.

Top Bottom