• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game pass users: do you ever buy the games?

Haggard

Banned
I use the 1EUR offers every 6 months or so when the service has at least 2 games I actually want to play. But i`d never buy any games there.

So far I played 5 games via gamepass and paid a total of 5 EUR. MS definitely makes no money off of users like me.

Robb

Gold Member
I’ve had a Series X for about a year and haven’t bought any games for the system in that time. I don’t really see myself buying anything going forward either.

HoofHearted

Of course I do - if there are games that aren't on GP (or ones that I really enjoy that may eventually come off of GP) that go on a good sale - I'll certainly buy them .. (just did this for AC: Valhalla last weekend as it was on sale for PS5).

I will note that my purchasing patterns have changed to waiting past launch on most games to either see if they're available via GP and/or PS+ due to I now have a much larger backlog of games I play...

That being said - there are upcoming "must have day one" games I'll target to buy (but I also typically wait for the reviews as of late for these games because .... well... Cyberpunk and BF2042.. :) )

Ceadeus

Gold Member
No, I mostly sub to GP for playing games I'm not interested in buying.

We used to rent games at the store and buy the ones we're interested in. It's no different today with game pass, only that GP is 16$ per month and renting game was 5$ for 3 days, for only one game.

Gaming has never been cheaper when you look at it!

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yes. Just bought the Skyrim/Fallout 4 bundle for £3.74 this morning.

I envisage there will be a time when I don’t sub, so I pick up good games on sale.

On discount or some DLC. Like recently I bought Tekken with all DLC as it was on discount.
It is kinda funny that you paying for subscription and then still buy games that are leaving or not on the subscription anyway.

Chukhopops

I bought the preorder edition of FH5 since I knew I was going to buy the expansions anyway. I bought Outer Wilds when it left the service and now it’s back. Oh and Forza Motorsport 7 when it was dirt cheap before being delisted.

Otherwise I bought a ton of DLC for GP games like the Minecraft dungeons season pass, Wasteland 3 season pass, Dead Cells DLC, etc.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
yes. I'm an on/off user of Gamepass, meaning I subscribe for a month or two and then I unsubscribe for a month or two.

ToadMan

I did the thing where you convert 3 years of gold for $1 to ultimate.

To be honest I’m not sure it’s worth it for me even with that discount. The games on GP just aren’t what I want - they’re 90% filler, the MS first party stuff isn’t great, and the good games that are there you can buy for cheaper than the sub - and even with the gold conversion I can’t recommend it.

So no - I didn’t buy anything on there and the stuff I would buy at full price isn’t there 🤷‍♂️

The thing is because I have the GP sub I’m not inclined to buy anything on Xbox.

I guess it has made me buy more stuff on Switch and PS5 though because I get all my non-GP games on those platforms.

So yeah - if you’re the kind of person who will play filler games and you are limited on cash so you pay for a sub, then GP is great for you.

But for real games you’re gonna have to buy them anyway. If you’re a PC gamer there’s always a cheap deal for games.

Last edited:

dem

To be honest I’m not sure it’s worth it for me even with that discount. The games on GP just aren’t what I want - they’re 90% filler, the MS first party stuff isn’t great, and the good games that are there you can buy for cheaper than the sub - and even with the gold conversion I can’t recommend it.

So no - I didn’t buy anything on there and the stuff I would buy at full price isn’t there 🤷‍♂️

The thing is because I have the GP sub I’m not inclined to buy anything on Xbox.

I guess it has made me buy more stuff on Switch and PS5 though because I get all my non-GP games on those platforms.

So yeah - if you’re the kind of person who will play filler games and you are limited on cash so you pay for a sub, then GP is great for you.

But for real games you’re gonna have to buy them anyway. If you’re a PC gamer there’s always a cheap deal for games.

Lol..
Whats a "real game"?

I've been playing Hitman 3. Seems pretty real.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
nope, and my plan is never to buy games for XsX outside the subscription. Gamepass is more than enough.
The only game I did buy for the XsX is Cyberpunk at launch... ouch.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
If its on Gamepass no.

I tend to focus on buying exclusives on other platforms such as PS5, Switch & PC.

I sometimes consider certain titles when it's announced there leaving gamepass but generally it's on PC and a Grey Market key at that point.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Haven't seen a reason to yet. Most of my purchases are on PS5. I have Xbox for Game Pass via MS Rewards. Not saying I won't. If a good deal comes up for a game on Xbox I've been wanting to play and it isn't on Game Pass then I might.

b0uncyfr0

99% of the time Nope, why would i ? Im already paying to rent.

Only if there a reason to buy it , like for 60 fps or other reasons. And then, the game has to be worth the price.

DarkTom

No I don't. The point of Game Pass is focusing on playing games rather than make purchases.
I am grateful that I am not buying games which can go into a backlog or that I will not enjoy much in the end of the day. Also I don't have to think about justifying spending money on a game (will I enjoy it that much ? Is the price fair for a game this short ?) and I easily drop a game I do not enjoy much to play another, since I have not bought it. I focus on enjoying the games.

If I take the example of my switch, most games I play are borrowed from my library, it's even better than game pass money-wise, though not as practical.
But there are some games not available physically so my library cannot have them. I bought SteamWorld Dig and Voice of Cards digitally because of that. The first one was good, for 2€ it's great. memories Voice of cards was a fine game, I would give it 6/10, but having spent 30€ on it tarnish a bit the experience. This would not have been the case on game pass.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I enjoy game streaming. I want xbox to allow us to play our purchased games on X-cloud, like Stadia. etc
How is the streaming? I hear its pretty hit and miss. Doesn't it use much bandwidth?
I use the 1EUR offers every 6 months or so when the service has at least 2 games I actually want to play. But i`d never buy any games there.

So far I played 5 games via gamepass and paid a total of 5 EUR. MS definitely makes no money off of users like me.
This is not a "does Microsoft earns on game pass users?" I'm sure there's other threads for that.

Again, didn't really ask if it were worth it, as I made my mind about it and got a simple question.

No reason to throw a stealth "I buy games on ps5 because I have GP on xbox." I don't have a PlayStation so that info doesn't really fit my thread as it doesn't devalue game pass for people not owning a PlayStation.

Again, probably other threads for that.

Raphael

Havent bought any games so far but I buy way more dlc than i used to. No game i bought dlc for has left game pass so far but i Will probably buy them if they leave. If i wont get sick of them by then lol

Last edited:

Sweden85

No I havent yet..but I did buy the upgrade for Forza Horizon..I wont buy anything else for THE time being..the games I play, I complete Them before they disappear

Relique

No I don't. I play gamepass on PC and I am okay with playing something once and moving on for the most part. If I don't finish something before it leaves gamepass then I was probably not interested enough to buy it anyway.

With that being said I have bought a few games that I discovered on gamepass but on other storefronts because I am not a fan of their very basic setup/store on PC.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I buy lots of games, mostly later on when on sale. In the meantime gamepass gives me access to a lot of content, easily saves me tons of money.

I bought Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 when I found out they were leaving. Even though I've beat them they are just too much fun, and I enjoy going back into that world every over in a while. I've also purchased around 10 other games over the years. Usually they are games I've played and enjoyed, but not enjoyed enough to finish. So they end up in my giant backlog. I've been a GamePass subscriber since it launched basically, so I guess that averages out to about 3 games a year that I've purchased.

Edit: I think DLC is something over bought a ton of, especially for the Microsoft and Bethesda games I know are never leaving

Last edited:

T-Cake

I've been doing this for a number of years - I play a game on console (via Xbox Game Pass/PS Now/PS Plus/whatever is free) and if I like a game greatly, I'll buy it on Steam. But then I never end up playing it on PC because I always move on to something new on console. Half my Steam library is full of games that I liked on console but have never played again.

Last edited:

Nico_D

Not so far. There are very few new games with enough replayability to make me want to own them.

If anything, "soon" to be released Crusader Kings may be one if stars align. Sounds like my kind of game.

Crzy1

I've played a few and thought they'd be a good game to play on the Switch, so I purchased them there. I bought Death's Door on the PC in a bundle during the winter sale, also.

Ev1L AuRoN

I bought Metro Exodus on Steam when the game left gamepass. I can't think of any other example. I usually only subscribe to gamepass to play Microsoft titles, the rest I buy on Steam.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Gamepass user and new Switch owner. Nintendo has absolutely ravaged my wallet. Bought BotW, Mario Kart 8 and Smash. Paid FULL PRICE for Mario Kart and Smash. 20 bucks off BotW physical.

Yea I buy games...but I did not buy Forza, or Halo pretty much any game on Gamepass I did not buy. I have bought DLC for those games though as with many others.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I bought Infinite and will buy Starfield -- I need to own physical copies of anything Halo and anything from BGS (other than FO76). It kind of sucks though since those games I MUST own are first party and will be on Game Pass forever.

I also bought Control Ultimate right before it came to GP but I kept it since it was super cheap, and I wanted the ultimate edition. A few posts in this thread have reminded me still need to buy the Ascent also - loved that game. I'll also probably buy Outriders when I'm in the mood to play it again.

Not gonna lie , I buy more games because of gamepass.

Only thing MFST needs to do is extend that 20% to physical copies at least for their 1st party titles.

They could easily do this as they can ship first party direct due to actually having a warehouse footprint.

Gamepass actually does a ton to incentive you to stay / spend in that eco system.

A.Romero

I still buy games but not if they are on Gamepass. If I like the game enough after it leaves the service I'd probably get it.

I buy games I know I'll play again and games I know will eventually become unavailable like the Forza Horizon games. I typically buy PC games on Steam after they've been out for over a year to avoid playing buggy releases and also that way I get them with all the DLC for a low price. I buy all my Switch games physically.

Where Gamepass shines is games for I wouldn't have even tried if not for Gamepass. I've jumped into a bunch of games on a whim and found them extremely fun to play. There are some stinkers on there too, but the beaty is I can just uninstall it and try the next one since it doesn't cost me any more. It makes abandoning low quality games a much easier thing to do. That said I haven't abandoned many games and I've 100% completed more Gamepass games than I thought I would.

HeadsUp7Up

I absolutely do. I had not played The Witcher 3 yet but tried it out on GamePass and ended up buying it and all the DLC. I’ve done that for a few games now that I probably would have never played had they not been on GamePass.

Deerock71

I just went utterly bonkers on the back compat sale Microsoft had last week. I think I picked up in the realm of 12-15 games. It's gotta be a deep-cut sale at this point for me.

EDIT- I counted, and the back compat and the horror games on sale saw me make 26 fucking purchases. I have a fever, and the only prescription is...
will ferrell snl GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom