• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Performance Should Be Outlined in Store Listings

Should Publishers Be Required to Outline Performance in Store Listings?

• Yes

• No

• Other/See Post

Results are only viewable after voting.

nikos

I often find myself trying to decide which platform to purchase a game on, which leads to a search for performance of said game on each platform. That information is often not available, especially for games that aren't popular.

It would be so much easier if publishers were required to submit performance data on each platform's digital store, such as resolution, frame rate, aspect ratio, etc.

Should this become a requirement?

Zathalus

Most of the time, games run near identically between XSX and PS5 with minor differences between them. You are honestly not getting that big of a difference between them other then a few rare cases.

PC can be all over the place but that is what Steam forums are for.

Gojiira

Banned
Only time I think this should apply is when a game runs like a slideshow, ‘Discretion advised, Poor Performance’.
But they should list which performance/quality modes are included on the store page for every game.

Fbh

Sure it would be nice.

But I imagine 95%+ of consumers don't really care and I seriously doubt either the platform holders or the publishers have any interest in providing that information.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Up to 4K
Up to 60fps
16:9 obviously

The above game has a dynamic resolution that usually hovers around 1440p...it can hit 4K when you stand perfectly still as it temporally constructs a 4K image and the FPS on none VRR displays is 30fps......on VRR displays it can go from mid 30s all the way up to 60........when staring at the sky.

Happy now?

Three

That would be a shit show at best and subject to change.

Would not support.
Exactly, it wouldn't help you decide either because there is so much nuance to the information that you could end up with a crappy unplayable mess in one version but still have 60fps and 4k labels. Whereas another could be great but use checkerboard upscaling or DLSS or something.

I remember Killzone Shadowfall got into legal trouble merely based on the fact that they had 1080p on the back of the box and they were using temporal reprojection.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Gamers should just wait a few days for the performance analysis to come out instead of buying games the moment they release.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
For what it's worth, Xbox's web and console pages do list some general info about a games capabilities.

eg this is Halo: Infinite's page

U6MlzvM.png

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Up to 4K
Up to 60fps
16:9 obviously

The above game has a dynamic resolution that usually hovers around 1440p...it can hit 4K when you stand perfectly still as it temporally constructs a 4K image and the FPS on none VRR displays is 30fps......on VRR displays it can go from mid 30s all the way up to 60........when staring at the sky.

Happy now?
actually ill be happy if they mention "up to xxFPS"

Three

For what it's worth, Xbox's web and console pages do list some general info about a games capabilities.

U6MlzvM.png
Its worth is very little for what the OP wants to use them for. For example look at Metro

Screenshot-20230426-030937-Chrome.jpg

"4K UHD" not exactly advertising the fact that it runs as low as 540p on a specific platform to make any real choice from.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic

U6MlzvM.png
Something like this would probably be ideal. I don't think we can expect publishers to tell us "bad port, frequent frame drops, constantly shifting resolution," but store pages could include a table listing the highest possible target framerates and resolutions, or maybe list the available quality/performance presets.

Graphics Presets
4K/60 Performance4K/30 Quality1080p/60 Performance+Quality

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Listing resolutions is probably a lot more tougher because of the dynamic nature and the threat of liability.

Don't forget, some dipshit sued Sony because Killzone Shadowfall's multiplayer mode was not the advertised native resolution and used an early form of reconstruction.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Resolution info as pointless as they are always going to state output resolution, not native render resolution as that's often a composite.
Frame rate again is somewhat uninformative as they can only really give a maximum as fluctuations are inevitable depending on circumstances and even then pacing is often more impactful.

You can't give precise info in brief, and even if you had the space to cover every mode and variation based on settings, info would fall out of date with every new patch.

Korso

This would be a logistical-nightmare for PC storefronts. Consoles could do it but that would still be a bit difficult with things like dynamic resolution, unlocked framerates, etc. The best you could hope for is an "up to..."

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This is in practically nobody's interest.

"Which version of the game should I buy?"

Well, are you part of the 99% of people who play games on the single system they own?"

"Yes I am"

Do you plan on playing the game?

"Yes I do"

Then buy it for the single system you own, rather than for one of the others you don't own.

"Of course! Thanks!"

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Then every time a patch changed something regarding resolution/framerate/AR, or added graphics modes, the publisher would have to submit the change to the storefront, and then the storefront would have to update the page?
Yeah, they would love that....
At least from my experience with Psn, changing game description text is slow as molasses from their side, and you are lucky if they don't mess it up.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I wouldn’t be opposed to it, although I think it could turn out messy considering patches and updates etc. I doubt all devs will remember or care to update that info continuously. Suddenly it’d be more confusing then helpful.

It’s probably better to just look that stuff up yourself online before you buy the game.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Its worth is very little for what the OP wants to use them for. For example look at Metro

Screenshot-20230426-030937-Chrome.jpg

"4K UHD" not exactly advertising the fact that it runs as low as 540p on a specific platform to make any real choice from.
Metro is based on Xbox one version and not truly made for SX.
I don't think XO version even runs 60fps

Top Bottom