• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Postmortem reports...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The N1S interview thread featured a link to gamasutra. One of the nice features of the site has been their extensive library of Postmortem articles. I've actually already read through all of their postmortem features at one time or another, though.

So, I have a couple questions...

Is anyone aware of another potential source for such articles?

Secondly, would anyone know of any such articles created by Japanese development teams? All of the postmortems I've read were written by Western game developers. English or Japanese articles would both do, if they are, in fact, out there.

RuGalz

I've spent some time looking for them before but it seems like due to culture this kind of stuff is usually not mentioned publically for Japanese companies. However, the big developers are opening up more at GDC and what not which I think is a good thing.

pj

Banned
gettergooey said:
There was a post-mortem for Katamari Damacy in the Game Developers mag before.

I think game developer magazine and gamasutra are the same thing

h0l211

There's actually a postmortem section on Gamasutra (which is the online arm of Game Developer magazine, yes):

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/article_display.php?category=5

Some newer indie titles in there, but most of the major console titles have their postmortems specifically and exclusively in Game Developer itself:

http://www.gdmag.com/

There's an example digital version on the site (you can get digital subscriptions to the mag now) with a Knights Of The Old Republic II postmortem. Other recent postmortems have included The Sims 2, Alien Hominid, Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, and Psychonauts (the new issue that's available at SIGGRAPH.)

As for Japanese-specific postmortems in Game Developer, in the last few months there's been Katamari Damacy and Silent Hill 4, and the September issue (which is mobile gaming specific) will have a postmortem of Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII written by the developers.

FYI!

Top Bottom