• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game review, reliable sources of information?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
You will know that I am a passionate gamer, who seeks to experience as much as possible of the video games of yesterday and today.

Personally, I'm quite suspicious of "Video Game Reviews" and personally i never trust them

An example that I want to give is Terminator resistance, that although many analysts have put from 6 to 3 of score, I have given him the opportunity to play it, personally I can say that it is a love letter and a good tribute to the franchise, the graphics for me that I have played TLOU 2 and leading graphics, Terminator Resistance has good graphics, the analysts exaggerate a lot.

For me Terminator Resistance is a 8 from Score.

to be a humble budget game, it has a lot of merit in my opinion

I am very sure that many video games have fallen prey to "Reviewers" and it is a great injustice that creativity is on the verge because of these people.

Let's not say the Streamers who only repeat what the audience says and do not have their own criteria.

I always invite players, friends and people in general to never trust or listen to reviewers.

As I have always said, you yourselves are the trusted judges to determine the quality of these games.

Bartski

Gold Member
Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

Heimdall_Xtreme

Heimdall_Xtreme

NieR: Automata was almost universally praised, were the reviews wrong?

Of course, because Nier replicant many reviews, they gave it 5.6, poor ratings and in fact I tried this game without paying attention, and it has been one of the best ps3 games. a 9 of score for me.

I had already put it before in the case of Nier, which is an object of ridicule by analysts, now Nier replicant on ps4 they give it a 9 when they gave the game bad points before?? Hypocrisy in analysts obviously.

Last edited:
You beat me, in fact I was going to put this example.

This is an example of what I want to put in the topic.

This review is garbage.

How is it possible that being the launch title at that time, it has a 10 score, being a controversial game due to the multiple errors on consoles and even on PC?

10????? REALLY????

Its like the news. You can't trust it completely. But if you ignore it completely you're usually less informed. You have to be a sophisticated consumer of information from multiple sources, big and small. And even then you may still get incorrect info.

Its the battle of our time.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
In 99% percent of my day one purchases i have already made up my mind about the game with everything that has been shown. In addition the discussions on GAF also help with that so in general i don't need reviews anymore.

For reviews itself its mostly a subjective thing even if a reviewer is trying to present an objective opinion. It is really important to know who is reviewing the game to put everything into perspective. Otherwise just don't trust a single review if it tends to be extreme in certain statements and try to get a better picture of the critisism by evaluating different reviews against each other.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
How is it possible that being the launch title at that time, it has a 10 score, being a controversial game due to the multiple errors on consoles and even on PC?

10????? REALLY????

Because the game wasn't reviewed on consoles and those that reviewed it on PC caveated that there were technical issues that in sum did not distract from the subjective enjoyment of the game.

. . .also your OP is basically "Game reviewers opinions are wrong. This game that I love ACTUALLY is pretty good."

Heimdall_Xtreme

Because the game wasn't reviewed on consoles and those that reviewed it on PC caveated that there were technical issues that in sum did not distract from the subjective enjoyment of the game.

. . .also your OP is basically "Game reviewers opinions are wrong. This game that I love ACTUALLY is pretty good."

There are really few exceptions that I agree with, as in the case of the walking dead survival instinct, it is the few times that I agreed with the analysis.

FMX

Personally I like to read the opinions of my fellow gamers collectively. These gaming sites all have agendas these days and they can't be trusted. Prime example Battlefield 2041.........I am having a lot of fun with that game right now contrary to what is being said about the game.

Last edited:

nowhat

I had already put it before in the case of Nier, which is an object of ridicule by analysts, now Nier replicant on ps4 they give it a 9 when they gave the game bad points before?? Hypocrisy in analysts obviously.
I mean, they did update the combat with Replicant. Is it not unbelievable that a game with combat that doesn't suck ass scores better?

And Gravity Rush is still dead

nowhat

Have you already played Nier on ps3 in his time?
Which time is that - is it before or after the Gestalt stage? But no, I haven't (have played the remaster though, quite extensively). I've seen enough footage though. And even with the facelift, it still pales in comparison to Automata. Yoko Taro needs Platinum Games as much as Platinum Games needs Yoko Taro.

(oh, and Yoko Taro loves Returnal - not really related to the topic, just wanted to put it out there for you to consume)

Last edited:
They are reliable as me or your friends, a review is the opinion of the reviewer for a game but with added monetary incentive. Can you really trust someone that is living from a market that has to provide the reviewer the product for reviewing... probably no because the reviewer whoever he is probably will try to avoid to give a truthful review and anger the publisher when his livelihood depend on it.

I don't think you're going to find anyone else who thinks Gravity Rush 2 is the greatest invention of mankind, so I doubt there is a reviewer out there for you.

Bragr

Banned
Reviews are generally great, of course, there will be exceptions, but you can't judge the entire field from a few bad ones, for the most part it's a good indication of what is good or bad.

Where it struggles is with the smaller games, mostly because they get overhyped or ignored.

Heimdall_Xtreme

I mean, they did update the combat with Replicant. Is it not unbelievable that a game with combat that doesn't suck ass scores better?

And Gravity Rush is still dead
I don't understand what was the problem with Nier replicant on ps3, the combat was satisfactory, fast, strong and precise.

I played it and finished it several times, so I say, what was the problem with this system?

It wasn't bad at all, not even the camera was a problem for me.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Because they reviewed the PC version, and that version was great.
I can play Cyberpunk in my laptop gaming, but im afraid there more bugs in this version and the game is still expensive to try with this problems.

So did yu play the game... only i can trust in this forum.

Heimdall_Xtreme

AmuroChan

I typically don't pay attention to the review scores, but I'll read the content of the reviews to gather information that will inform my purchase. Sometimes a reviewer will praise something about a game that is actually a negative for me. For example, they could praise a game sequel for taking the gameplay in a completely different direction than its predecessors. To me though, that could actually be a bad thing because I don't want a huge departure from the DNA of the core gameplay mechanics that the franchise is known for. That's why I don't find review scores that useful, because if that reviewer has completely different expectations for the game than I do, then his/her score is not informative to me at all.

Bragr

Banned
I can play Cyberpunk in my laptop gaming, but im afraid there more bugs in this version and the game is still expensive to try with this problems.

So did yu play the game... only i can trust in this forum.
I played a bunch of it on PC, it's great, still buggy but great.

When it first was scored, it got high scores on PC, and when the consoles versions were shown and they were completely broken, the PC reviews started to tank. Meaning, the critics were influenced by the console version to the extent that they scored the PC version less. It was absurd.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I honestly use a tight network of friends on discord and letsplays to discern game quality at this point. So many reviewers don't play games or just follow a paid advertisement script. There is too much money in some projects to allow even a slight modicum of criticism.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You can still watch/read reviews and still form your own opinion, sometimes reviewers negative points might not be negative for you, my problem comes when people ONLY look at the score.

kingfey

Banned
Game reviews these days dont review the entire game. Since most games takes alot of time, and they have to review alot of games. Some games suffer from these, because they depend on the end content to tell the whole story.

I respect reviewers who actually play the full games.

Guilty_AI

I find the more trusthworthy reviewers to be the ones that are usually harsher, and preferably with no grading system, like Yahtzee.

All games have flaws and a reviewer should make a point of showing what these flaws are, even if it comes of as if he's shitting all over the game or nitpicking. Its not uncommon to find reviews that feel more like publicity than something to truly help you make a decision.

I don't care and have never cared how anyone rates a game. I will read or listen to the body of a review and see how their complaints or praise may intersect with my own preferences, but that's the extent of it. If a game gets a 0/5 from the majority of reviewers but still seems like I would enjoy it, I'll buy it without pause.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You will know that I am a passionate gamer, who seeks to experience as much as possible of the video games of yesterday and today.

Personally, I'm quite suspicious of "Video Game Reviews" and personally i never trust them

An example that I want to give is Terminator resistance, that although many analysts have put from 6 to 3 of score, I have given him the opportunity to play it, personally I can say that it is a love letter and a good tribute to the franchise, the graphics for me that I have played TLOU 2 and leading graphics, Terminator Resistance has good graphics, the analysts exaggerate a lot.

For me Terminator Resistance is a 8 from Score.

to be a humble budget game, it has a lot of merit in my opinion

I am very sure that many video games have fallen prey to "Reviewers" and it is a great injustice that creativity is on the verge because of these people.

Let's not say the Streamers who only repeat what the audience says and do not have their own criteria.

I always invite players, friends and people in general to never trust or listen to reviewers.

As I have always said, you yourselves are the trusted judges to determine the quality of these games.

You should never trust any game reviewer. At most, look at a few you respect to give a decent semi-objective look at the titles and see what the greater community thinks. Hardcore fans and casuals alike. That should be your base of understanding whether a game may be up your alley. At that point its up to you to decide if its worth spending the money on at launch, waiting until a discount, deep discounts, or skipping entirely.

I have said it time and again: the only people who genuinely push reviews, especially those from “mainstream” sites like Kotaku, Polygon, etc are console warriors and children who need to validate their purchase decisions.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Critics reviews? No.

Go to steam reviews or check metacritic users' reviews.

Steam and Metacritic scores are just as bad as critic scores. Full of trolls, memes, jokes, and postive/negative review bombing. Look at places like GAF, see the average players response. Twitter, Reddit, etc. What are the major problems with the game, what are its strengths - does this look like a game you should try? That is the ultimate goal of looking up the general response.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ve gotten to the point where any game I see on Steam. I’ll always filter the positive reviews first. That way my first impression is something positive versus “this game sucks. Don’t waste your time”.

I don’t pay attention to reviews for the most part. Reviewers are essentially people who got the game early? In 10-20 years of doing this, we can come to our own conclusions. I do see how it helps us save money on things we aren’t exactly passionate about. Outside of that, reviews can suck the fun out of something you’re looking forward to.

MiguelItUp

Reviews are just a person's personal opinion no matter what the platform is. So, it's wise to not just take reviews as factual. If anything, watch gameplay and come up with your own conclusion before purchasing. I mean, you can watch someone stream the game and get an idea from the footage.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The four reviewers of Electronic Gaming Monthly agreed that the game was a showcase for the Saturn's graphical abilities but considered this to be a negative, with one of them elaborating that "The 3-D perspective is practically shoved down your throat. There are enough colors to blind you for life..."

From their review for Clockwork Knight on the Saturn. This has to be one of the most absurd takes I've ever seen. The game isn't even that colorful compared to Mario or Sonic.

Top Bottom