• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game sharing on Playstation?

So my friend wants to do game sharing, i don’t really mind doing it but only if its not intrusive at all on my actual account. Are there any downsides to doing this? I dont want someone affecting my trophies or ps Stars points, i dont want any kind of account information being shared at all.

Whats the risk in doing this?

Big_Dude

Neo Member
So my friend wants to do game sharing, i don’t really mind doing it but only if its not intrusive at all on my actual account. Are there any downsides to doing this? I dont want someone affecting my trophies or ps Stars points, i dont want any kind of account information being shared at all.

Only downside is you and said friend would have to be signed on as each other’s primary accounts on each system, meaning you would have to be connected to internet to play your games but not your friends games, and vice versa.

Last edited:

Tranquil

I did this once for a couple years, it was my friend sharing the games. I had to log in as him to do it, I had full access to his account and password; also if he was online playing a game and I wanted to login and download a game it would log him off automatically.

On the plus side I was able to play games for free, just click download from his account, then log back into my account and it was there on my dashboard.

I did this once for a couple years, it was my friend sharing the games. I had to log in as him to do it, I had full access to his account and password; also if he was online playing a game and I wanted to login and download a game it would log him off automatically.

On the plus side I was able to play games for free, just click download from his account, then log back into my account and it was there on my dashboard.

So would it be better for me to log into his account to get games or for him to log into mine? Who’s at more risk?

Tranquil

So would it be better for me to log into his account to get games or for him to log into mine? Who’s at more risk?
Let me put it this way, if you want to share your games, then he has to log into your account. If he wants to share his games, then you have to log into his account.

Whoever is the one sharing gets the raw end of the deal, they have to share all the account details and possibly have their games interrupted, with no upside, just you being a nice guy.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Doesn't it work like on xbox, where you share each others accounts as "home consoles, and both can play at the same time?

You can play the same games at the same time right?

Isn't that against the rules and can get you banned?

Edit: I mean Sony rules not GAF btw.
I did a Google search on it, and sounds like it's something Sony could be aggressive with, so I would probably avoid it on their eco system.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Joel Mchale Win GIF by ABC Network

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Doesn't it work like on xbox, where you share each others accounts as "home consoles, and both can play at the same time?

I did a Google search on it, and sounds like it's something Sony could be aggressive with, so I would probably avoid it on their eco system.
I thought Sony home sharing was exactly like Xbox's. You trust a family member or friend, both of you login into each other's systems set as home and all digital games and sub plans ar shared. Even Gold and GP are shared.

I guess I'm wrong.

Sleepwalker

Works the same way.

Also xbox is also aggressive with it, I got permanently banned for game sharing on XBL. Never seen Sony enforce something about it and I've been doing it for far longer on their ecosystem.

Hoppa

I remember when the PS5 first came out, people were making money by offering to log into PS4 owners accounts and downloading the PS Collections games to their library lol. I think I remember reading Sony pinged consoles with a large number of recent new logins and we’re going to enforce a ban(?) but never seen anyone banned for it before

Aion002

Nope.

Unless you're renting out accounts, the chances of getting banned are close to zero... Not zero since... Well...

tv land shit happens GIF by YoungerTV

But eh... I've been doing this since the ps3. You only need a trustworthy friend and that's the tricky part.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Also xbox is also aggressive with it, I got permanently banned for game sharing on XBL. Never seen Sony enforce something about it and I've been doing it for far longer on their ecosystem.
Blame your friend for doing some shady shit on your account because I can't literally find other people getting banned by only game share.

Gamerguy84

Be VERY careful. When all this first started up a lot of people took advantage of others. Hopefully your friend lives in driving/walking distance of you.

There were a million "My account got hacked and Sony don't GAF" threads.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Works the same way.

Dang man. I have been game sharing switching between 2 cousins for at least 6 years. Never had an issue. How did they catch on to you?

Edit: Are you sure your friend didn't do a charge back or something on your account? I can't find another instance of someone being banned for gamesharing.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned

Share your info and I’ll show you. :)

kyliethicc

If you want them to be able to play your games on their console using their account, they will need to sign into your account on their console and set their console as your account's primary PS5. This will limit your ability to play your games on your own PS5 when offline. Your own console will become a secondary console for your account. Your acount can only enable console sharing and offline play on 1 PS5 at a time - that's your primary. Or you can allow them to sign into and use your account while playing on their console but they will affect your trophies.

The intended use of this feature is not what you desire. It is to allow others in your home to use your console. So your home console is your primary, allowing other users on your console with their own PSN accounts to play your games installed on the console. Essentially it lets partners, parents & kids, or siblings each have a unique PSN account and share a console together in the home without needing to buy multiple copies of games.

There is also the obvious risk of giving your friend access to your account and password.

Last edited:
Works the same way.

You got banned? For what lol?

Me and my crew of friends have been doing it since it's been available on xbox, feels like it's been atleast a decade if not more me and my best friend, whose on the opposite coast of the country set it up with me.

Sonys is pretty much the same, hell we do it on the Switch too. Whole thread has the usual unnecessary FUD..i've been doing it on each of the console platforms since they allowed it and we've never had an issue.

Sleepwalker

Blame your friend for doing some shady shit on your account because I can't literally find other people getting banned by only game share.

Dang man. I have been game sharing switching between 2 cousins for at least 6 years. Never had an issue. How did they catch on to you?

Edit: Are you sure your friend didn't do a charge back or something on your account? I can't find another instance of someone being banned for gamesharing.

You got banned? For what lol?

Me and my crew of friends have been doing it since it's been available on xbox, feels like it's been atleast a decade if not more me and my best friend, whose on the opposite coast of the country set it up with me.

Sonys is pretty much the same, hell we do it on the Switch too. Whole thread has the usual unnecessary FUD..i've been doing it on each of the console platforms since they allowed it and we've never had an issue.

I've no clue honestly. I gameshare with my brother (who recently moved overseas), the xbox enforcement email didn't even give a reason so I had to message them to find out and the first reason they give is "selling or trading accounts across multiple devices with the intent to monetize the xbox service (commonly known as gamesharing)". The account was on 3 xbox, 2 mine and one of his across 2 countries. But we've been sharing our content since the early days of the xbox one. I got no recourse with MS because I used my only appeal to find out the ban reason.

The only thing I can think of is that we buy our games in the Colombian store because its cheaper(we are colombian and have legitimate payment methods) but have been overseas for a while.

Either way, it doesn't matter now I guess.

Last edited:

Rea

No risk at all if you're sharing with your siblings. I do that all the time with my brother with his own PS4 and PS5.

Its better than buying the physical disc because we can play the same game at the same time.

Last edited:
I do this with a friend of mine. Since he has a PS4 and i have a PS5, i set up his PS4 as a primary console for my account, and my PS5 as well since that's allowed by Sony. He just goes to my account to download the games and then plays on his account.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Remember back on PS3 when you could officially game share with friends? That was pretty cool.

I do not remember that. Wasn't it that you could activate a maximum of five consoles on the same account? The purpose was still the same, i.e. family sharing.

Last edited:

Lex Tenebris

Neo Member
I don't know how it actually works on ps5, but on ps4 the owner of the account, whose console it's not anymore set as primary, loose the possibility to auto backup saves online. I don't remember if you can still backup them manually.
And, like many said, you can't play downloaded (including ps+) games if you are not connected.
Last but not least, if you share ps+, the account which has the subscription can redeem monthly games and add them to the library, the other one can still play them, but if in the future the "parasite" want to subscribe and detached fromnthe host, it will not have those ps+ games in the library.

Top Bottom