• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game storage in midget house?

RagnarokIV

ended up buying a hobbit house cottage that can’t handle my MASSIVE LOAD of games and movie collections.

Best way for storage in small spaces?

Was thinking of a combination of Billy big balls bookshelves scattered in corners and offloading cases to the loft.

So bookshelves for the classics and boxes of modern stuff in the loft, while the discs are in wallets?

Any better ideas?

My head is bouncing on a Johnny depp wine bender atm but I think jshackles jshackles is the right boy to tag on this? And tag Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme because Bella is Kat

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The most condensed way, for sure, will be to put all your disc-based games into like a CD binder. The downside is that without the original cases, they'll lose quite a bit of their potential resell value (if that's something you're worried about). Putting the cases into some other storage space, like a loft, is a neat way around that - but keep in mind that you're making your hobbit house cottage even smaller now.

Like th4tguy th4tguy said, the most ideal thing to do overall will be to sell as much of your collection as you're willing to part with. I myself downsized massively a few years back, and it was very freeing. I had a collection that took up an entire room in my house, and was able to downsize to the point that I only had to move about 6 large boxes full of games (mostly modern stuff). I still have a ton of stuff though, it might almost be time to downsize yet again.

Embrace minimalism. Not only will your house look nice, but it helps with anxiety/depression and makes everything much easier to clean. Clean = Happy.

I'm all digital on modern platforms (PS/NS/PC), but my older games are all in cd binders with a tub full of the cases in the basement. I can still play whatever I want but I don't have to look at the mess. Sometimes I miss having a bookshelf full of games but it's rare.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Trash Dumping GIF

used to have a room in my home that was like a library, full of games dvds and manga…

all gone all digital for almost a decade now. So nice living without that clutter.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

If possible, make one whole wall a shelving unit from floor to ceiling. Add in some artwork here and there so that it looks somewhat respectable.

Store the majority of it at a family members place that has the space. Just keep a couple of systems on hand and a curated selection of games.

Pallas

Gold Member
Hobbit house cottage sounds awesome as fuck(pic?), not gonna lie big maybe you should have gotten a bigger place?

As someone else mentioned, maybe sell some of it off or maybe even rent a good storage unit, if you are able to afford it until you figure out something more permanent.

Use the higher wall space for less accessed items, make full use of all space. Don't part with the goods, despite what these charlatans in here say! 😆

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’ve got a ton of space in my house, so I’d happily store all your games for free.

You just might not get them back.

Put the discs in cd booklets. Keep the booklets and covers in alphebitized folders inside of a cabinet or box. Recycle the cases/containers. For older stuff just use a bookshelf with a glass/plastic window to avoid dust collecting.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Buy a bigger house. If games are really important to you, that is.

I thought the problem was solved when I bought a house and suddenly had five rooms instead of two. But that was before our two children came and changed everything. Now I'm once more looking for a bigger place. Having children obviously put things into perspective but as long as I can keep my games collection I will.

WoJ

I'm in favor of physical games all the way, but if I were to buy a tiny home I would go all digital. Just too limited on space. The options presented here about getting a case with sleeves or a shelving unit for one wall are your best options otherwise.

Comandr

Digital is the way. Let go of my physical collection over a decade ago. Hundreds and hundreds of games and systems from NES to Xbox 360. At some point my tvs didn’t even have the hook ups to support older consoles without some kind of adapter. Consequently I never used them. They just stayed in storage bins and I dragged them around house to house because… that’s what I’d always done.

Ended up selling all of it for a pretty good chunk of change and went all digital, never looking back. Honestly not having to care for or move all that shit ever again was so incredibly freeing. A ton of my movies are available via MoviesAnywhere or some other service. And I can watch them on basically anything I want any time I want. Same for the majority of my games, between digital copies and streaming services, etc.

Educate yourself on the process of ripping your movies, dumping your roms, build a digital library for your games in something like Retroarch or similar front end. Having the ability to display box art, screen shots.. some front ends even do detailed descriptions - then you can enjoy replaying your old favorites with achievements through RetroAchivements. An entire room full of old consoles and games could be consolidated down to a laptop or a Steam Deck.

Change can be scary, but it doesn’t have to be bad.

Majormaxxx

Buy digital, you geniuses? What about his library? Should he re-buy everything and sell the discs? And eat the loss? And also should he invest in a ton of hard drives as well?

I guess it is full of moneybags here.

BlackTron

I think you already figured it out. I have a few cabinet-shelves in my TV stand and behind my monitor for quick-access. Everything else is in boxes stashed away in closets and crevices.

There's a lot of duplicity. If there's a movie I want to watch that I have on DVD, I probably have it on HDD and it could be streaming too. Which is why it doesn't really need to be accessible. Doesn't mean I want to get rid of my copy though. Between games and movies (just media) it adds up to about 8 of those white file type boxes. I don't find this too much of a burden to manage, though when you add in hardware and its packaging too, I had to get more creative and efficient to hide it all.

I refuse to get a storage unit. That's my official sign that I have too much and it's time to sell something. At that point I'm paying monthly depreciation on it. Even if you're only paying 50 bucks a month, that's $600 a year to keep shit you probably don't need that you could have made money dumping...that's where my line on old shit is.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Buy digital, you geniuses? What about his library? Should he re-buy everything and sell the discs? And eat the loss? And also should he invest in a ton of hard drives as well?

SSDs and Micro SD cards are very cheap. You can rip your retro games, and you can buy modern games really cheap on sale. If done correctly you can transfer your library to digital and make a healthy profit overall.

Fredrik

Educate yourself on the process of ripping your movies, dumping your roms, build a digital library for your games in something like Retroarch or similar front end. Having the ability to display box art, screen shots.. some front ends even do detailed descriptions - then you can enjoy replaying your old favorites with achievements through RetroAchivements. An entire room full of old consoles and games could be consolidated down to a laptop or a Steam Deck.
I did that for music CDs, ripped everything in FLAC and scanned some signed covers and the rest were from web databases, had everything accessed either through a Raspberry Pi or Apple TV and a NAS. It was great!

Then the hdd crashed. I lost everything. 100s of ripped CDs. This was a couple years ago. Now I just use Spotify, I know the sound quality is worse but I just don’t have the energy to go through that whole ripping process again.

But yeah, ripping old games is getting quite important I think. Just make sure to do complete library backups too, doing it again is no fun.

Regarding ripping I’ve dabbled with some floppy ripping for Amiga games, using KryoFlux. The best thing about that is that I have backups of my own personal stuff, saves, a game I made in AMOS, Deluxe Paint art and animations, Noise Tracker modules. And they all still work through emulators!

Ripping CD games is easier. Worth investing some time on that even if you do have storage space, physical media don’t live forever. Cartridges age too but I don’t think it happens as fast. Cassette tape games from C64 are still alive for me but making files for emulators is probably a good thing if you don’t want to lose it all.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Get a better job/second job or grind at your current job to earn more money and then get a bigger property.

Dr.Morris79

You could always do what i did this year. Completely gut your loft out, buy loads of flooring and shelves for said loft. Rig up lighting, box most of your 40 year collection of games so they're rot proof. Spend the next week putting said games up the loft. Nice and tidy job, looks excellent.

The next month you find out your wife has had an offer for a house swap 200 miles away and it all seems to be going through as it is a nice place we both like. And the loft there is bare

Total win! Can't wait!

FMoHVC1.gif

NinjaBoiX

I think what they really need to do is have a think about how many of those games they actually want to revisit and play, and how many are just part of the clutter.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Keep the physical, but use either custom shelving solutions or media shelves that are perfectly tailored to jewel cases and dvd/Blu-ray cases.

Only keep CE for games you absolutely adore.

Put on doors to the shelves, which is super easy if you buy IKEA, and it will look very clean and organized. I lived in a tiny apartment for years with over 3000 physical games and it looked great doing the things I listed.

RagnarokIV

Thanks guys. A lot to think about but I think I can make this work.

Anyone got classy photos of bookshelves with games? Online always shows cringe ones with lights or just massively disorganized and ugly.

Trilobit

embrace your massive load
minimalism is for autists and the scandinavians

77c76debd9014faf73edfe834508263a.jpg

It would be veeery cool to have your game library in a place like that. Having your CRTs and displays in the middle. Delicious! And I'm saying that as a minimalistic Scandinavian.

Last edited:

Well, if you need a everything spoonfed to you, then:

1. If there’s anything of value that you can’t live without, then keep it. But not everything is invaluable. See what stuff you can sell or throw away.

2. Yes, re-buy the stuff you really can’t live without. You can’t buy more space but you can buy more games.

3. Older stuff, look into emulation, ideally through a proper PC. Rip your stuff if you can. You can make some pretty decent good digital collections if you try. Invest in a proper TV and try to keep things minimalistic.

4. Moving forward, buy more digital games. Maybe through Steam? Or GOG? You can do PSN or Xbox too, I won’t judge (but others here might lol).

Depending on where you live, moving to a bigger house might not be an option. Also, dumping your cockroaches on your parents house or a friendly family member is rude and know that they won’t care for it and will throw it away once they know your intentions are to store them there permanently.

Codeblew

Lets be real, he isn't going to ever touch more than 5% of his library ever again. Just hoarder behavior.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
ended up buying a hobbit house cottage that can’t handle my MASSIVE LOAD of games and movie collections.

Best way for storage in small spaces?

Was thinking of a combination of Billy big balls bookshelves scattered in corners and offloading cases to the loft.

So bookshelves for the classics and boxes of modern stuff in the loft, while the discs are in wallets?

Any better ideas?

My head is bouncing on a Johnny depp wine bender atm but I think jshackles jshackles is the right boy to tag on this? And tag Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme because Bella is Kat
GO DIGITAL!!!!!

/runstohidefromsharpnel

Top Bottom