• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamecube turns 20: Former Nintendo staff reflects

before its launch, nintendo said it was aiming for a (somewhat) more mature audience this time... and i still remember hearing the boot jingle for the first time and being let down initially.

great console and controller though.
wavebird was so good. always wanted a panasonic controller.
fun buying component cables directly from nintendo.
best smash bros. re4 was so good.

lame they removed the digital out from late gen consoles though. what, to save 1 penny per console?
sign of things to come i suppose... what with the wii just being an overclocked gamecube.
god i hate the wii.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

GameCube was a mistery wrapped in a enigma. No idea why failed against Xbox, probably there are so many reason behind this.

I had the Zelda bundle, loved the games but not the joypad.
Everything failed next to the PS2.

I think the system was great. They should have launched it in black. It came out at a time when the console makers were still really trying to push how "mature" the game industry was becoming, and making your console look like a kids toy (especially the controller) didn't help its perception. And it was a technically great system too. They just really screwed up the positioning. Also, I think Nintendo had to get over the backlash of the carts of the N64. When the PS2 came out as being a "cheap DVD player," it really helped push that format into the mainstream. Then GC comes out with a tiny proprietary 1gb mini disc or whatever they called it. It harkened back a bit to the N64 cart days (Nintendo is just trying to control the medium!) while Sony was seen as being more open and pushing things forward. I mean 4gb DVDs vs 1gb mini discs ...

Just a lot of choices that didn't help perception, even if the system itself was great.

bender

What time is it?
So many wonderful games.

Dear Nintendo, give us ports of Double Dash and Thousand Year Door

Dear Capcom, Viewtiful Joe please.

Jubenhimer

before its launch, nintendo said it was aiming for a (somewhat) more mature audience this time... and i still remember hearing the boot jingle for the first time and being let down initially.
That's how Nintendo tried to position it in the US at least.

There were many attempts like this to paint a purple lunchbox as "edgy" and "hardcore".

Star-Lord

They always do. It's crazy to think there hasn't been one sequel for it. Other niche titles had them.
It’s actually criminal it didn’t get a sequel, or at least a remake. Would be amazing to play on the OLED. Also, Geist. It didn’t get a lot of love critically, but I enjoyed it.

Dane

GameCube was a mistery wrapped in a enigma. No idea why failed against Xbox, probably there are so many reason behind this.

I had the Zelda bundle, loved the games but not the joypad.

Lack of third party support over M rated and some T rated games with more mature themes, these were getting the major share proportionally in sales. It missed all Rockstar games except for Smuggler's Run Warzones, Eidos dropped support for like two years, Burnout 3 and Revenge skipped it, it had a weak fighiting genre support from Capcom and SNK, and these are some examples.

Xbox on the other hand was much more marketed towards 14-18 year olds, third party software sales was stronger than on Gamecube, to the point where even in 2006 when they had to discontinue production the fall before it was receiving more games than the GC. Also Xbox Live, Gamecube online support was so barebones that even Dreamcast had much more

Last edited:

tommib

Ah loved my gamecube. Great console and probably one of the best if not thee best generation. Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox

Top games:
Luigi’s Mansion
Mario Sunshine
Resident Evil Remake and 0
Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess
Pikmin 1 & 2
Resident Evil 4
Smash Bros
Metroid Prime
Paper Mario
Viewtiful Joe
Time Splitters 2
F-Zero Gx
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Rogue Squadron
Eternal Darkness
You forgot the best Metroid game in there. I’m shocked by the absence of Echoes.

SoraNoKuni

Never had a GC, but it was definitely a console I really wanted to get my hands on, I remember playing Mario sunshine at a family friend house and getting really hyped and excited using that weird controller back when I was a kid.

Needless to say, I bought Wii, DS and 3DS due to that experience.

cireza

It was a great console from Nintendo. I really enjoyed back then. There were some pretty nice games on it. I remember playing Lost Kingdoms 2, PSO ep3, Naruto 4, DBZ Budokai, F-Zero and Resident Evil 4 to name a few.

Nowadays, I play all these games on my Wii U, which is my favorite Nintendo console. But Gamecube probably takes second or third place, with the NES.

Notabueno

Banned
Objectively the best 6th generation console.

I would say it's the 2nd or 3rd best Nintendo console, the first one being the Snes, and the second one being either the N64 or the Gamecube.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Love the GameCube
B2i89wZ.gif

The GameCube has alternate intros when you hold down Z!

SpiceRacz

Loved the console at the time. Playing Rogue Squadron II at launch felt like a true next gen experience. I don't think the library has aged as well as some people want to believe though.

Never owned one but swapped my PS2 (after going all-in with Xbox in 04) with a friend for several months so we could play the best of each others' games.

I will go to my grave combatting the controller's evangelists. In retrospect, N64 is possibly a more baffling design decision, but GC's asymmetric button shapes are maddening, plus the omission of a second analog was a deal breaker.

TBH, I vastly preferred my experience with the Wii U than I did GC.

Best console design imo. I had one for a brief time but sadly the games were too expensive for me. So many great games I missed out on. I'd insta-buy a GC Classic with a lineup of 20 games (if they're well chosen).

Brilliant System. Wind Waker, RE4, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime…

The GC and the SNES we’re just Nintendo magic. They still have magic software but the GC was the last time I loved their console hardware.

ntropy

i remember near the launch, Nintendo had these pop-up demo locations to try the Gamecube
crazy that was 20 years ago

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I will go to my grave combatting the controller's evangelists. GC's asymmetric button shapes are maddening, plus the omission of a second analog was a deal breaker.
Yeah. It was never perfect, not even with Nintendo’s own games. The D-Pad was laughable and the C-stick was perfect for stuff like changing weapons in Metroid Prime, but not versatile or practical enough for a true camera control stick. It just felt very comfortable in your hands, that much is true.

BlackTron

I was there for GC on launch day. I wasn't crazy about the purple but they launched with a black one too. It was a mistake to make purple their main marketing color. Basically it felt like Japan was deciding how to market it in America, or something. Who knows.

GC was my main console as soon as it came out, replacing Dreamcast. It gave me a lot of great games, but also made me unimpressed and disillusioned in Nintendo. From the get-go, I was rabidly looking forward to Rogue Squadron II and it met every expectation. Nintendo, on the other hand, showed up with Wave Race Blue Storm and Luigi's Mansion. I actually bought Luigi day one but ended up a bit disappointed because I wanted MARIO and it just wasn't a replacement. Then when Sunshine came out, it wasn't a bad game but just wasn't really the SUPER MARIO 64 2 I had hoped for. I rented Star Fox Assault and thought it was just bad and lame compared to SF64 and even returned it early. The disappointments went on and on, especially Zelda. To this day I still do not like the chibi-link look and any of the games that use it (the art style is fine, I just don't like powerpuff-girl Link). When Wind Waker came out all I did was play OOT Master Quest on the free bonus disk.

To me, Rogue Squadron and Smash Bros. made this system. Most of the other games I was really looking forward to were a let-down. But then it filled in with other games to keep me busy like Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, Metroid and others.

I didn't use my cube for the longest time because the Wii plays its games and is way easier to set up with component cables. I only this past week finally replaced my lost GC power cable to use my GB player again, not realizing it was the 20th anniversary, so that's sort of fitting lol.

Overall I can never get rid of mine and there are some great games on the system but I also associate it with a depressing time in console gaming where Nintendo first party started to suck that pushed me to being more of a PC gamer. I put a lot of hours in Starcraft during this period.

RAIDEN1

The Gamecube - the only Nintendo home-console to get a specially developed port of Metal Gear Solid 1...the last console to see F-Zero....and the last time Nintendo competed on the horsepower front....

BlackTron

Wavebird was the future. I remember the range on that controller was insane, I could go out my house and the the end of my garden and I could still hear is was pausing/unpausing the game I was using to test the range. Great battery life too.

I still have 3 Wavebirds that are 20 years old and used them yesterday to play Mario Party on Switch.

Legendary controller.

Top Bottom