• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameFreak has lost their minds with the terrible new Pokemon designs for Pokemon: Legends Arceus.

killatopak

I just want the company to actually care about what they’re making instead of just pumping shit every year.

It needs to absolutely bomb and get ridiculously low scores to finally get the message that their work is just disgusting to look and play. Unfortunately the fans like to eat shit yearly.

Technology isn’t even the issue here considering what other development studios are able to put out on the same hardware. I reckon it would still be like 2 gens back in terms of look and feel even if they were released on the PS5 and XSX. That‘s how bad Gamefreak is.

Don’t just talk about rebooting the games. Reboot the whole studio. Cleanse their filth away from this franchise I once held dear to my heart.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I just want the company to actually care about what they’re making instead of just pumping shit every year.

It needs to absolutely bomb and get ridiculously low scores to finally get the message that their work is just disgusting to look and play. Unfortunately the fans like to eat shit yearly.

Yup. And even so, most of reviewers are already blind fanboys who uses "its a kids game" to deflect concerns about visuals and quality. IGN reviewer of ShSw hide herself in a stream criticizing people, admiting she gave the score because "she likes the game", calling everyone ignorant and saying she didn't have to know about anything related to those games when reviewing, even though shes a journalist.

Last edited:

Diddy X

They look bad but what else could they look like after so many versions? they must've run out of ideas long ago.

Last edited:
Nobody here is worried about the franchise. They're worried about the design.
I know. I just don't think they care.

There are worst things on modern Pokémon games/efforts than these and I just haven't seen them taking costumer feedback into account for quite a while.

nkarafo

Pokemon designs were always crappy in my eyes. Most of them look like random ideas put on paper without much thought.

Which was the main reason i never got into the craze.

I guess Pikachu was the better designed one (or the cutest, i can't tell) which is probably why they chose him to become the mascot.

Last edited:

Banned
Programming 3D games should come with a license, and gamefreak should have it revoked.

5pnywqxv32d81.png

NINTENDO:
This Is Fine GIF

GAMEFREAK:
This Is Fine GIF

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
to be fair Digimon makes up with that by having some with far better design than pokemon at the higher forms

71JgyJQXNFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

its mainly all the low levels that are the cute blobs etc that give it the bad name.
This looks like computer ai generated shit.
Let’s add shards and shit to a humanoid shape.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
They did in 2010.

MwlJ2YF.jpg

It wasn't well received despite it being the gen one experience that wasn't gen one. Thanks guys.

They have twice. The first remake made the original games good, the second time it's just Pokemon GO shit for casuals.
Remake gen 1 again fuck i care

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I love how weak modern Pokemon defenders arguments are

If you think I'm defending modern Pokémon you're sorely mistaken, it's sucked for years, but let's not pretend there haven't always been shitty designs.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I dunno why they would fuck up the designs. I guess they want to illustrate how Pokemon looked in the past. Looks like hot garbage IMO.

That Palkia is just LOL.

Pokémon has always sucked. It’s one of the few instances where nostalgia is the only reason people play. As a kid’s first rpg it’s okay, but it’s just been more less the same game since the first one just with roster updates like a sports game.

They got so used to making them cookie-cutter that they can’t make a game for Switch that doesn’t look like an early PS2 game. There’s no effort behind them it’s just a business that thrives off of children and high school-college age people who have nostalgia.

Not hating Nintendo, as they have much better franchises. Pokémon is just one the lowest effort long running franchises that refuses do anything interesting and is as bad as the likes of COD and sports games.

amigastar

I don't know anything about this Pokemon game, is it a successor to Sun/Moon, Sword/Shield or something else?

Last edited:

Camreezie

This game has always seemed weird to me it's like an attempt at a reboot/prequel but using a 4th gen setting for that is so random

Inanilmaz

Disagree. It just hit it's peak with Gold and Silver. Series should have ended there.
Satoshi Tajiri the creator of pokemon wasn't involved after gen 2 i think? This could be the reason. Not sure but he helped a little in gen 3 too if im not mistaken, cause i liked this gen too.

supernova8

Banned
Let’s say you are given a deadline of 2 years and you own a small studio of around 50 people with a modest budget. No matter how much money gets tossed your way, you cannot create the same level of experience as something made by a studio with over 100 people and 5+ years of development time.

There is a limit to how much a studio can produce given staffing and time. The only reason we were able to see companies create games like Call of Duty and Assassin’s Creed yearly were due to the nearly thousand plus people working on the games across *multiple* studios.

I would love to see Game Freak given the time and staffing to create a true AAA title, but one has to be realistic and understand how this industry works.

Come on people have made better stuff with tiny (way less than 50 people) teams. It looks like garbage and likely runs like garbage.

Banned
Come on people have made better stuff with tiny (way less than 50 people) teams. It looks like garbage and likely runs like garbage.

exactly
how big is the team of Oceanhorn 2 for example? that seems like a small team

edit: apparently after a short search, it's about 10 people lol

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

And yet you ignore everything else I said. Re-read everything before you respond next time. The issue isn’t just the team size. Its also the timeframe in which these games are made. Yes, amazing games have been created with smaller teams, but they also had different scopes and different time frames in which they were developed. StarDew wasn’t created in a year. Nor was Dusk. Ion Fury. Etc.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Pokemon was dead when they put a pokemon in that was a literal bag of garbage.

Elysion

Banned
Disagree. It just hit it's peak with Gold and Silver. Series should have ended there.

Apparently Gold and Silver were supposed to be the final games of the series at one point, which is probably why they contained so much content in comparison to later entries. Looking back, Gold/Silver’s final battle with Red, the player character from the previous games, really felt like a proper ending, and bookended the series in a way that hasn’t been replicated in any of the later gens.

april6e

Apparently Gold and Silver were supposed to be the final games of the series at one point, which is probably why they contained so much content in comparison to later entries. Looking back, Gold/Silver’s final battle with Red, the player character from the previous games, really felt like a proper ending, and bookended the series in a way that hasn’t been replicated in any of the later gens.

That would make so much sense.

I've gotten into arguments for a decade that Gen 2 was the clear best entries. The end game being an entire second region was incredible.

Fbh

And yet you ignore everything else I said. Re-read everything before you respond next time. The issue isn’t just the team size. Its also the timeframe in which these games are made. Yes, amazing games have been created with smaller teams, but they also had different scopes and different time frames in which they were developed. StarDew wasn’t created in a year. Nor was Dusk. Ion Fury. Etc.

Nintendo is publishing and Gamefreak is developing, they both are co-owners of Pokemon and as far as I know if you put them together they have a majority stake in The Pokemon Company.
So who is forcing a timeframe on them?
These are 10+ million selling $60 games that almost never go on sale. If they needed more time to make the game they could take it, if Gamefreak needed to double or triple their workforce to have multiple teams they could afford it.

I mean I get why they don't do that, the game will sell millions no matter what so why bother? But there's no excuse, the production values are only like this because Nintendo/Gamefreak want them to be.

It's funny you should mention that, everyone else thinks that too.

man they didn't give this remake a lot of budget, huh?
Two thirds of that fight was still frames with some effect on top lol

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I played this. Don't kill me just hope I can offer a little hope for those that are thinking this is going to be the complete shits.

I'll just say I think this is going to be fairly well reviewed despite the reservations in this thread. I mean Pokémon games get good reviews anyway but I can see this doing exceptionally quite well critically.

I know the graphics are meh but at the very least it looks sharpish in handheld form and the battles I think look good overall. Might be my imagination but I think the animations are better than recent games but I'm not a massive Pokémon fan so they could be the same. I like how battles just happen on the same spot, no transitioning into a different area. I like how you can run around while the battle is happening and I like how well the game controls. This is a good Pokémon game for quality of life improvement. Everything is fast, no bullshit.

The game is a little too wordy for my liking, explains too much instead of leaving you alone but it eventually does leave you alone. The open world is actually quite big too.

I think this will do well. If you're anyway excited and you like Pokémon I think you'll like this.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
man they didn't give this remake a lot of budget, huh?
Two thirds of that fight was still frames with some effect on top lol

in alot of ways it shares the same issues with the new Pokemon games :D

at least the Digimon story cybersleuth games kicked ass.

Top Bottom