• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GameIndustry.biz] God of War Ragnarok is already the biggest launch in the franchise’s history | UK Time Tunnel

jm89

God of War Ragnarok has got off to a massive start in the UK, according to charts firm GfK.

It is on-course to be the fourth game in the series to top the UK boxed charts, the firm has said.

There have previously been 12 God of War games released in the UK, including six main releases, two portable games and a series of collections and remakes.

The first game was released in July 2005 on PS3 and debuted at No.5 – one of just two times that a main God of War title didn’t debut at No.1. The second game in the series, released two years later in May 2007 (also on PS2 and after the PS3 was released) reached No.1. The franchise moved to PS3 for God of War 3 in Mach 2010, and also topped the charts once again.

The fourth mainline title, God of War Ascension, arrived three years later but was held off No.1 by the Tomb Raider reboot from Crystal Dynamics.

But the series really stepped up with 2018’s God of War reboot on PlayStation 4.

“It became the best-seller at that time in terms of week one sales and also lifetime sales for this franchise,” GfK boss Dorian Bloch told GamesIndustry.biz. “In 2018, God of War ranked at No.5 by units and revenue on Sony formats.”

The only PS4 games bigger than God of War that year was FIFA 19, Red Dead Redemption 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 and Marvel’s Spider-Man.

Now we are at the launch of God of War Ragnarok, and based on boxed sales alone, it will become the biggest God of War title launch in the UK.

“God of War Ragnarok will debut at No.1 and is the first cross-gen title in the series,” Bloch says. “Day 1 physical sales were already greater than any other full-week launch sales for other titles in this franchise.”

Bloch adds that 55% of PS5 console sales this week are part of the God of War hardware bundle.

God of War UK Chart History​

YearTitleFormatChart Position
2005God of WarPS2No.5
2007God of War 2PSPNo.1
2008God of War: Chain of OlympusPS1No.29
2010God of War 3PS3No.1
2010God of War CollectionPS3No.10
2010God of War TrilogyPS3No.100
2010God of War: Ghost of SpartaPSPNo.73
2011God of War Collection: Volume IIPS3No.35
2013God of War: AscensionPS4No.2
2014God of War CollectionPS VITANo.41
2015God of War 3: RemasteredPS4No.9
2018God of WarPS4No.1
2022God of War: RagnarokPS4/PS5No.1

Last edited:

Madflavor

I believe it. It's a great sequel to a great game. I'm about 20 hours in, and I don't think I like the story as much as the first, but I'm still very much engaged, and I enjoy the combat/exploration. Would easily be my GoTY, if not for Elden Ring.

Will probably get this on PC too once that inevitably comes out.

Great game so far, (playing on 2nd highest difficulty) taking it slow and learning the combat and trying to smoothly switch weapons during combos - the blades already feel a lot better compared to 2018.

I'm also being careful not to get too powerful so barely upgrading + not buying resurrection stones.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
4tUJsfD.jpg

Gaiff

Gold Member
The only question is will it surpass TLOU2 record.
In total sales? Definitely. TLOU2 had an impressive start but fell off a cliff. 4M in the first two days, then it took it 21 months to sell an additional 6M copies, achieving the feat in Spring 2022. 40% of it sales in in the first 21 months came from the first two days alone.

I expect GOWR to be much more consistent and long-lived. It`ll easily be at 10M sold within 12 months.

Last edited:

Thief1987

In total sales? Definitely. TLOU2 had an impressive start but fell off a cliff. 4M in the first two days, then it took it 21 months to sell an additional 6M copies, achieving the feat in Spring 2022. 40% of it sales in in the first 21 months came from the first two days alone.

I expect GOWR to be much more consistent and long-lived. It`ll easily be at 10M sold within 12 months.
TLOU2 record is first week sales, so, yeah, I'm talking about this milestone.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Also...GAF told me the promo campaign was nonexisting and Sony didn't know what they were doing 👀

How is this happening? (and with a game priced at 80€)
Still was. Marketing ≠ as the categorical quality of the game.

94 on meta and word f mouth are something beyond the control of the marketing team. But they will use them in their favor.

oji-san

Banned
Well deserved! my most loved series. 2018 game was awesome, i'm only at the beginning of Ragnarok but damn it's so smooth and the iq is clean so i'm more then happy.

Orpheum

Was only able to play the intro so far. Safe to say it's the best intro to any videogame ever. My gf had to physically drag me out of my apartment to go on vacation. I just want to keep playing man

Still was. Marketing ≠ as the categorical quality of the game.

94 on meta and word f mouth are something beyond the control of the marketing team. But they will use them in their favor.
Unless you live under a rock, there's been ads on TV, outdoors, 2 State of Play's, we got Game Informer with those little videos, we got that recap video, multiple articles on accessibility features, etc.

It's everywhere. I don't get how anyone can say the marketing for this game is lacking. It's similar to a hollywood blockbuster almost, lmao.

Top Bottom