• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GameIndustry.biz] God of War Ragnarok is already the biggest launch in the franchise’s history | UK Time Tunnel

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Everyone should have expected this to surpass the TLOU 2 record. This is a cross gen game, basically multiplatform...

Those 110 million PS4s didn't just disappear... And now theres an additional 20ish million PS5s.

On one hand this is great news, on the other, I hope this doesn't encourage Sony to keep rolling out cross gen trash after seeing these numbers...

Topher

Gold Member
It's more of the same though. Which is why it didn't review highly.

Oh wait that didn't happen.

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Don't forget they rushed it and its a buggy mess. Oh wait that didn't happen either.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

These guys need new material.

Tired Pbs Nature GIF by Nature on PBS

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Cross-gen trash that looks and plays better than next-gen exclusives like Gotham Knights and Plague Tale.

It's meaningless when you have talented studios like Sony.
I’m not talking about Ragnarok when I say cross gen trash. I’m talking generally.

If this sells amazingly then they have no reason to change their strategy

Which would suck

I’m not talking about Ragnarok when I say cross gen trash. I’m talking generally.

Which would suck

The next SSM game would take around 4-5 years to make if we are talking about this team. Very doubtful the PS4 will be supported that much longer.

jm89

Which would suck
Eventually they will, probably as soon as next year.

Jim said before the ps5 launch they wanted to quickly move people over to the ps5, but that got hampered by the chip shortages.

Next year is where that strategy will will come true, with a revised console and possible price drop. Jimbo will be dropping those suckers out of planes.

Last edited:
Looks like god of war has a good chance of beating the current record held by last of us 2. It won't be for long though, because spider-man 2 will surpass it next year. Sony continue to roll in hit after hit. They just don't stop.

Last edited:

reksveks

From ibf

Some numbers for Sony first party titles (physical only) :
  1. TLOU Part II (FRI) : 194-195k units
  2. Uncharted 4 (TUE) : 192k
  3. Spider-Man (FRI) : 190k
  4. Uncharted 3 (TUE) : 116k
  5. Horizon Zero Dawn (WED) : 114k
  6. The Last of Us (FRI) : 110k
  7. God of War (FRI) : 96k
  8. Heavy Rain (WED) : 86k
  9. Uncharted 2 (FRI) : 84k

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
There's zero competition. You can see why Sony pushed for it to release in 2022.
Yeah, because Sony knew last year other games were gonna get delayed until next year, amirite?

The avatar bet thread this year started precisely because of one delay into 2023.

Last edited:

yazenov

Only if it’s cross-gen.

Excluding Japan, the lion's share of 1st party and 3rd party games software sales are on the PS5. And that's with the estimated 25 million userbase.

People are already moving onto current gen consoles and by the time Spider-Man 2 is released, there will be a more healthy userbase to sustain its sales.

From ibf

Damn uncharted 4 was huge! There's no way there isn't another one coming.

From ibf

In what time frames are these?How long did it take to achieve these numbers?Ok saw some answers above me so a calendar week so 7 days

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
wtf?
Day one...physical alone was bigger in 2022 than God of War (2018) in its first full week? Holy shit?

And all this in a time physical media is dying...

Yeah this is breaking TLOU2 record for sure.
Physical media will die as soon as consoles stop supporting it. I bought the game and I intend to sell it. Though usually I end up not having the motivation to do so.

Top Bottom