• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer Cover Reveal – Horizon Forbidden West

Uh?! Don't know what you are talking about, you get a lot of valuable skill in the horizon skill tree.

At the beginning aloy is an inept.

And honestly it was mostly the same with days gone, very few +5 attack or shit like that.

Tbh most sony games have pretty great skill trees.

Felt like i was just unlocking shit that should have just been standard mechanics

GymWolf

Felt like i was just unlocking shit that should have just been standard mechanics
Oh ok, that's a better critique to raise.

But if go with logic, she only hunted small prey and not even humans at the beginning of his journey so it is kinda ok that she learn advanced techniques going forward with the game...

i think its more absurd for kratos to learn how to use the blade of chaos again after all he did in the past games.

But tbh, since i love a good sense of progression and a skill tree that is mostly useful stuff and not incremental stuff, i'm ok with all of this even if there wasn't a logic reason for that.

Last edited:

GymWolf

FHOsycGX0Aofpma

1a9ad754cdfd941d9b5678fe7ed3d286.jpg

kyliethicc

For some context for the images below, they mostly feature a new area called the Daunt, which is a canyon at the eastern edge of Sundom (Carja territory). This new settlement acts as an onboarding area to get players up to speed with the game’s new mechanics. It is Aloy's last stop before she heads to the Forbidden West. These screens also provide a view of a market and tavern to show off the more lively locales.

Lastly, there's a look at a new machine called the Burrower, which is a successor to Horizon Zero Dawn's Watcher. This common recon machine can tunnel underground and resurface in unexpected locations. When it senses danger, it emits a high-pitched sound to call allies and stun enemies. According to game director Mathijs de Jonge: "We wanted to add even more character and locomotion to the machines in Horizon Forbidden West, so the Burrowers are very similar to otters or weasels: flexible, quick, and pretty ferocious!"

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'm wondering how all the Ubisoft open world generic stuff will be changed this time round, I mean last time the towers walked, perhaps the towers will fly this time round.

Looking forward to it, since I put Ubisoft on a lost Horizon has been one of the games that fill the generic Ubisoft open world genre for me. Might not be day one as I waited for the full game to release its GOTY edition last time too.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
I'm wondering how all the Ubisoft open world generic stuff will be changed this time round, I mean last time the towers walked, perhaps the towers will fly this.

Looking forward to it, since I put Ubisoft on a lost Horizon has been one of the games that fill the generic Ubisoft open world genre for me.
Open World was actually the weakest part of the original. I mean... Mug collecting? Really?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Open World was actually the weakest part of the original. I mean... Mug collecting? Really?

They had to gave something boring and reptative like that since Assassin's Creed had feathers and memorys, Far Cry had relics and memory cards when your copying the homework you need to replace it with something.

Last edited:

Woggleman

Mug collecting was not go great but the logs and vantage points genuinely had me engrossed in the lore of the world. The greatest open world game ever made had you collecting oysters and horseshoes so I don't put too much stock in it.

Last edited:

xPikYx

I prefer waiting for the final release before commenting, looks good but I feel it lacks of something

VFXVeteran

Banned
VFXVeteran VFXVeteran You promised me that HFW on the PS5 was just going to look like HZD on the PC. What happened? Here is your past post if you forgot:

I never said there would be 0 differences between the two games. I said they would look roughly the same.. and they do as the screenshots show. The only thing readily apparent is the backscatter specular lobe for the hair. I am not sure why the HZD pic is so saturated though. Other than that, their clothing looks very similar. It's the same engine with a lot of the same techniques used from the last one.

kyliethicc

I never said there would be 0 differences between the two games. I said they would look roughly the same..

I said that PC Horizon running on PC @ 4k/Ultra could look/run equal or better than PS5's Horizon Forbidden West.

"Horizon Zero Dawn on PC could look better than Horizon Forbidden West on PS5."

- Professional Victim

Happy Joaquin Phoenix GIF

Last edited:
I never said there would be 0 differences between the two games. I said they would look roughly the same.. and they do as the screenshots show. The only thing readily apparent is the backscatter specular lobe for the hair. I am not sure why the HZD pic is so saturated though. Other than that, their clothing looks very similar. It's the same engine with a lot of the same techniques used from the last one.

Staring George Costanza GIF

CutePoP

Banned

tzBHs8I.jpg

laughing-rofl.gif

Hoppa

But she got a fat face

seriously tho this game looks better and better every time I see it!

Last edited:
No...

GymWolf

The plot of Forbidden West is Aloy has to stop a blight that is destroying the planet.
The blight is probably caused by the people who caused all the troubles in the first game (we don't know who they are)

On yt there is a channel with all the horizon lore and the guy has wild but documented theories about who is behind all of these.

Last edited:
Top Bottom