• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer Cover Reveal – Horizon Forbidden West

Thief1987

Happy Joaquin Phoenix GIF
I thought he left this forum. What a disappointment

Last edited:

SSfox

I can't remember when last time I was more impress by protagonists design than main character's.

That being said the game should be good at the very least.

GymWolf

Ok she actually like looks good here
She has that bitch eating cracker smug, i know people hated that, but i hope they are gonna double down on how sassy she is.

Mocking overly religious people in the first game was a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Geometric detail, models etc are all really great.......but the lighting.....the lack of self shadowing, lack of indirect lighting, lack of contact shadows, or shadows in general for some lightsources etc bothers me more the more material I see from the game.
This game would look twice as good with a lighting system like Metro Exodus EE...... and would probably need a 3090 to run it........Well, PS6 then...hopefully.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Geometric detail, models etc are all really great.......but the lighting.....the lack of self shadowing, lack of indirect lighting, lack of contact shadows, or shadows in general for some lightsources etc bothers me more the more material I see from the game.
This game would look twice as good with a lighting system like Metro Exodus EE...... and would probably need a 3090 to run it........Well, PS6 then...hopefully.
Horizon doesn't have static lighting

I never said there would be 0 differences between the two games. I said they would look roughly the same.. and they do as the screenshots show. The only thing readily apparent is the backscatter specular lobe for the hair. I am not sure why the HZD pic is so saturated though. Other than that, their clothing looks very similar. It's the same engine with a lot of the same techniques used from the last one.

Why do you keep taking the bait and doubling down on this studpidity lmao

I never said there would be 0 differences between the two games. I said they would look roughly the same.. and they do as the screenshots show. The only thing readily apparent is the backscatter specular lobe for the hair. I am not sure why the HZD pic is so saturated though. Other than that, their clothing looks very similar. It's the same engine with a lot of the same techniques used from the last one.

Angry The Big Lebowski GIF by The Good Films

Haggard

Banned
Horizon doesn't have static lighting
?
.but the lighting.....the lack of self shadowing, lack of indirect lighting, lack of contact shadows, or shadows in general for some lightsources etc

It doesn`t have RT GI either.

It´s nitpicking, i know that. But after quite a few RT experiences on PC these "errors" just start jumping in your eyes when you see them. You could say "i´ve seen the light" or rather how light should actually behave.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I don't know, an image that sharp, shadows and everything. Show me an in game screenshot of a PS5 game like that, that isn't photo mode.
It doesn't look that sharp to me, its gonna look even sharper on your 4k tv.

Details on characters\location are good but hardly mindblowing.

I'm playing witcher 3 with ultra hd textures and some things are not that far from these screens, so i have faith that a 2022 game is gonna look that way, and we are talking about guerrilla here.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I can't seem to get past the fact that they very clearly widened her jaw from the first game to the second. Aloy looks a lot closer to the model Hannah Hoekstra in the first game than the second.
Did any actual rep or designer from Guerrilla ever comment on this?

Haggard

Banned
Some of you can't learn a knew jargon.

You are just chatting shit.

That's what self shadow looks like
sigh...

Another moron too stupid to understand that most engines can do this on a category or even per object basis. Most object don`t seem to have it, but I´m not gonna start painting screenshots with giant red arrows now to win an argument with a fanboy who`ll pretend to not see it anyways.
The game makes a lot of compromises in its lighting, but I know that word doesn`t sit well with guys like you......

Last edited:

GymWolf

I can't seem to get past the fact that they very clearly widened her jaw from the first game to the second. Aloy looks a lot closer to the model Hannah Hoekstra in the first game than the second.
Did any actual rep or designer from Guerrilla ever comment on this?
Poor hannah is having an identity crisis every time she look at aloy's model most probably :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

?

It doesn`t have RT GI either.

It´s nitpicking, i know that. But after quite a few RT experiences on PC these "errors" just start jumping in your eyes when you see them. You could say "i´ve seen the light" or rather how light should actually behave.
It's not really nitpicking. The game looks great but a bit flat because of the lighting. RTGI would help immensly. Thus my comment above.

SLB1904

Banned
sigh...

Another moron too stupid to understand that most engines can do this on a category or even per object basis. Most object don`t seem to have it, but I´m not gonna start painting screenshots with giant red arrows now to win an argument with a fanboy who`ll pretend to not see it anyways.
The game makes a lot of compromises in its lighting, but I know that word doesn`t sit well with guys like you......
Nah you just fucking dumb. Some objects won't cast shadow to gain performance you stupid fuck

Last edited:

Markio128

sigh...

Mate, if a game looks good, then it looks good. I’m sorry to hear that these screenshots are affecting your eyes, but it looks fine to me, probably because I don’t get caught up in technical babble and appreciate things for what they are. And you’re literally calling 99% of the worlds population morons haha

Papacheeks

Banned
Nah you just fucking dumb. Some objects won't cast shadow to gain performance you stupid fuck

I've got Haggard and VX on ignore your life is that much better without having to talk to a couple of graphic whores who actually dont know as much as they say. Wait for professionals to go over this game so we can actually talk about technical progress with the Decima engine.

SLB1904

Banned
I've got Haggard and VX on ignore your life is that much better without having to talk to a couple of graphic whores who actually dont know as much as they say. Wait for professionals to go over this game so we can actually talk about technical progress with the Decima engine.
Thanks. Some people you can't just reason with.

Haggard

Banned
Mate, if a game looks good, then it looks good.
yep. As I said it was just nitpicking for features, or the amount of usage thereof, that are simply above the paygrade of console hardware (so far)
One can dream.

And you’re literally calling 99% of the worlds population morons haha
well, those 99% don`t sit on an internet board and try to discuss stuff they don`t have the slightest idea of, unlike that guy.

Last edited:

kyussman

The first one was such a slam dunk from Guerrilla I find I'm not getting that hyped for this one as it's very much a continuation(and the cross gen didn't help either)......but I hope there will be enough new elements to make it interesting......at least I don't have to worry about the technical stuff with Guerrilla.....they are masters!No idea when I'll actually get to play it anyway as I won't until I get a PS5.

GymWolf

New info from the GI article (reddit), probably some spoilers aboit the first hours of the game (he also describe the latest pics released)

So the writers at Game Informer got to play a demo of HFW. The demo opens in a canyon called the Daunt, pictured above, which is described in the article to be in the "eastern edge of the Sundom" but the wiki refers to it as the western edge of the Sundom, so I believe this is a mistake on Game Informer's part. It wouldn't make sense to have an area in the game that's farther east than Zero Dawn's map since the main caveat of HFW is that we're exploring the Forbidden West not the Forbidden East.

Narrative director Ben McCaw says that the Daunt is the last stop before the Forbidden West, and that Aloy's objective is to go to the embassy at the Sundom's border, near Barren Light, to meet with members of a "hostile tribe" (likely the Tenakth) to "hopefully attain rite of passage through their lands." The article remarks that the Daunt is an "onboarding area" to introduce players to the new gameplay and mechanics. So, it sounds like this is one of the very first areas in the game, if not the first.

The Daunt is also described as having snowy terrain and mountains (contrary to the photo above) making it "harrowing to access on the best of days." In the demo, Aloy asks the guards to operate the cable car so she can go down to the valley so she can head on to Barren Light, but the guards say that the valley is infested with machines (resembling hogs, called Bristlebacks) that can only be stopped by acid arrows. Aloy convinces the guards to run the cable car and she heads down the valley, and the Game Informer writers note the breathtaking mountain and trees. Aloy runs into the Carja Sun-Priest at the bottom, who is supposed to run the embassy in Barren Light, and he refuses to go further until the machine problem is taken care of and the path to Barren Light is clear.

Aloy then heads to the nearby Oseram village Chainscrape to craft acid arrows and to improve her weapons to (begrudgingly) aid the Sun-Priest's journey by killing the machines. Chainscrape and the Daunt are located in and based off of present-day Zion National Park in Southwest Utah. During the cable car ride, Aloy passes the Angels Landing rock formation that characterizes the Zion Canyon.

Aloy arrives in Chainscrape and is constantly addressed as the "Savior of Meridian" or just "Savior." This is a difference from the original games, as Aloy was constantly being ridiculed or underestimated for being an outcast, a Nora, a woman, etc., so she took joy in proving her naysayers wrong. Now, there's literally the pressure of saving the world from the blight on her shoulders. Ben McCaw acknowledges this by saying, "On one level, Aloy really wants to live up to the example of Elizabet Sobek, her mother figure, and do whatever it takes to stop the blight and save the world. Even if that means doing it single-handedly; but, she'll also discover that it's lonely being the Savior. And ultimately, it's the connections with others that make the world worth saving in the first place."

This concept is highlighted as Aloy arrives in Chainscrape and runs into her old friend Petra who greets her with an, "About time there was something worth looking at in this dump." (*cue Billy Eichner screaming 'let's go lesbians'*) Petra wants to catch up with Aloy at the brewery pictured below, but Aloy feels pressured to not stray from her path and upgrade her bow so that she can kill the machines and proceed to Barren Light. Aloy feels guilty for not catching up with Petra, though. The article says that this will be a constant battle for Aloy over the course of the game, feeling a push and pull between wanting to be with her friends and needing to fulfill her mission of saving the planet. Petra remarks that Aloy has "bigger gears to grind... But if you want a cold beer and a few laughs with an old friend, come find me at the brewery, your choice." The writers of the article note that Aloy feels torn but goes to upgrade her bow using a workbench, which I believe is a new mechanic in the game. Petra is also noted to be hanging around a "shady" character named Ulvund.

Pictured below is a market in Chainscrape. This is so starkly different from the original games - you can just feel the life in this picture. Ben McCaw says, "We've upgraded our civilians and settlements since the last game with an improved crowd system, better animations, and much better audio, so everything should feel a little bit more authentic and lifelike." This is really exciting because one of my two minor complaints about HZD is that the people were pretty much confined to the settlements, and rarely would you see people just living throughout the world. The people within those settlements seemed to be lacking in personality, too. I'm really glad that this will be improving! I'm already excited about this change just looking at the picture.

You can also see mannequins with Oseram armor on them behind Aloy in the picture. There are also pairs of boots sitting on a shelf - this looks to be where you can buy some outfits. With the boots sitting on the shelf, this makes me think that there could be separate items of clothing (i.e. Oseram boots, Oseram pants, Oseram breastplate, Oseram helmet, etc) rather than just full outfits, but it could also just be how the devs chose to decorate this particular marketplace.

The writers of the article note that there are several side quests available in Chainscrape. They call them "companion activities." Ben McCaw says that, "The big focus, though, that we wanted to change from the first game to the second, is that you just get to spend more time with key characters. That's something we tried to do consistently throughout the game. Not just for characters that you meet along the main quest, but also certain side quest characters; they don't just go away after one quest." McCaw seems to hint at the characters possibly being Skyrim-esque followers, probably not accompanying Aloy throughout the entire duration of the game but leaving Aloy with options to have companions.

This makes me very happy - the second of my two complains with HZD is that there wasn't enough character development or depth with any side characters besides Sylens. I think that the lack of character-building was due to the fact that much of the game's narrative efforts were geared towards world-building, a massive feat to take on due to the sheer amount of lore that the world of Horizon has to offer. With HZD players returning to play the Horizon sequel, the world and lore is already well-established - leaving more room for characters to be expanded upon.

The second demo that the Game Informer writers played was later in the game when Aloy was actually in the Forbidden West. She is accompanied by a friend named Alva, a member of a "mysterious new tribe," which I'm assuming is the Utaru but as always could be something else entirely. She is described by Ben McCaw as bright and curious, but unsure of herself. Alva and Aloy are headed for "the ruins of an old tech campus" to find information and data that is important to Alva's tribe. The landscape is now tropical. Aloy and Alva have known each other for a while at this point of the game, as Aloy says that Alva has come a long way since they met. Alva says that she used to be terrified of making mistakes but has learned a lot so her anxieties are eased slightly. The writers say that Alva had been reevaluating her worldview. As the pair approach the ruins, the ground starts shaking and a Slitherfang appears, starting a battle.

The rest of the article discusses the fight with the Slitherfang.

This is all so exciting and made me realize that the release of this game isn't too far off! Not to be dramatic but I would eat glass and rocks to be able to play this game right now. I'm going to be making a speculation/discussion/theories post about all of this soon, so stay tuned!

Link to reddit

Last edited:
Why are people hating you so much? Did you criticize Sony (games) or praise Microsoft (games) in the past?

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
It doesn't look that sharp to me, its gonna look even sharper on your 4k tv.

Details on characters\location are good but hardly mindblowing.

I'm playing witcher 3 with ultra hd textures and some things are not that far from these screens, so i have faith that a 2022 game is gonna look that way, and we are talking about guerrilla here.

Put in your calendar to take a screenshot of that scene when you have the game so we can compare. :messenger_sunglasses:

Hmm. I’m going to wait for reviews for FF Origins. Did the demo impress you that much?

No lies. Q1 alone, I could see people spending $200+ on games alone. Unless deals show up.

Horizon - $70
Sifu - $40
Elden Ring - $60
GT7 - $70 (more if you’re one of the crazies that like to splurge on digital deluxe editions).
That's not that much ...

People sleeping on Dying Light 2

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The more I look at it, the more fond I am of it. It shows a gentle person in a cruel world. At least it’s not the chin down, eyes up cover.

Lethal01

It's good to have you back bro.

Your posts are always, amusing.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Aloy’s character model difference (HZD vs HFW)​

sx07ayzis5781.jpg
It's is definitely an improvement graphically, but It really brothers me that they made her jaw so square. I'm no facial expert, but it seems like her jaw line doesn't fit the rest of her body.

Lethal01

isn't that the point, that he noticed the compromises they are making for performance, it sounds like you are aggressively agreeing with him.

Roxkis_ii

I wouldn’t worry about it. We’ll be spending the majority of the game looking at her ass.
While that is true, her jaw is still going to be annoying in cut scenes, or when you have to talk to NPC's if they use the last games mass effect style. I just don't understand why they had to mess with perfection.

This game looks good, and I'm looking forward to give the first game another try but...
What the fuck? Can you debate with people without going down to the level of an edgy teenager? Are you guys even professionals in the field to talk like a know it all? Or you just watch youtube videos and wikipedia pages?

Top Bottom