• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamePass - Troubles emerging? MS no longer revealing subscription numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod edit: you wanted gamepass general topics going in a gamepass OT. Please register this click bait concern in there.

Microsoft has not disclosed new Game Pass subscriber numbers, after the company revealed it had 18 million subscribers back in January. Microsoft had been regularly revealing Xbox Game Pass numbers over the past year, but it has now gone two quarters without any updates.

Anyone reason why MS would do this unless Subs weren't growing robustly and may be declining?

Last edited by a moderator:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Concern GIF by The Back Row Morning Show (on LTN Radio)

Shmunter

Anyone reason why MS would do this unless Subs weren't growing robustly and may be declining?
A lot of the increase as with all other online services would have seen growth spurred by lockdowns. It’s almost guaranteed that these numbers will show decline now.

And further bolstered by the overly generous 3 month free plans expiring.

pratyush

Growth Numbers wont be that impressive because we had an insane growth last year in gaming and it isn't sustainable. Microsoft loves a good PR (like every company ) and if they show growth percentage lower, people will jump on it. So it does make sense.

That doesn't mean it hasn't grown. It just means compared to last year, numbers wont be that high. Actually I wouldn't be surprised to see a fall also from one quarter to another.

They are not exactly advertising that much, I'm guessing there is gona be another big push when halo comes out, if they are to succeed, they need to cut the price of the both consoles this year, and get those games out asap.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Yep, while I think Gamepass is doing very well, I have to question any company that stops releasing numbers. It's probably because growth last year went Covid crazy and this year it's a little lower. Same with the unreal 28.8 million Switch sales of 2020. How are you going to top that? These companies all magically become much more transparent when they can sell the PR.

Basically the gold subscribers converting spurred the momentary growth. Xbox had around 20 million gold subscribers. That's the same number we're seeing for gamepass.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Basically the gold subscribers converting spurred the momentary growth. Xbox had around 20 million gold subscribers. That's the same number we're seeing for gamepass.
If that were true, they would have done away with Gold. There must still be a good number subbed to Gold.

elliot5

It will be funny looking back at all this when they anounce 30mil subs in November or December. :messenger_beaming:
def think its possible if the 23M in April rumors are true. Couple that with $1 for 3 month offers starting in May-June and keeping those around for Forza and Halo. Easy 30M or close to it EOY

Robb

Gold Member
Could be. I also wouldn't be surprised if they are waiting to announce them at the end of the year as some have suggested. Sounds like a good move to show GamePass growth alongside your own first party releases. But who knows.

Last edited:

Stuart360

lol of course it's OP that makes this fake concern thread. Game Pass, Flight Sims release and amazing reviews, and MS's great quarterly earnings have the usual suspects shook and not coping.
Its so easy to do though lol. I wouldnt be surprised if its Phil doing it on purpose :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Which console 'won' last gen again?

MrA

Banned
Clickbait title + now we make news about.... no news? Really?

Reaction GIF
when it comes to financials, not mentioning something is concerning, but doesn't necessarily mean anything. Most likely it simply didn't meet the spectacular growth of last year
though we need a ms equivalent of nintendoomed , microshafted?

Stuart360

when it comes to financials, not mentioning something is concerning, but doesn't necessarily mean anything. Most likely it simply didn't meet the spectacular growth of last year
though we need a ms equivalent of nintendoomed , microshafted?
How about 'Gameover' instead of 'Gamepass'. :messenger_beaming:

EDMIX

Seems MS is concerned if they aren't making these public anymore, otherwise they would be bragging about it.

Agreed, but i feel they are looking to deeply invest and the day to day or month to month might not be important to keep saying to the public if they playing the long game.

For all we know MS is willing to do some slow burn and keep investing for a few years before calling it. Who knows. We don't really even know what their target is to say good or bad etc.

MrA

Banned
How about 'Gameover' instead of 'Gamepass'. :messenger_beaming:
certainly can be used to describe everything Xbox related
series s/x took 12 months to reach 10 million? microsoft gameover, am I right
Halo infinite launched only sold 4 million copies at launch, must be people waiting for it to come to gameover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom