• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameplay or Graphics?

Choose wisely

• Graphics, cutting edge

• Gameplay, oh so much fun

Results are only viewable after voting.

Marty-McFly

Banned
What is actually more important to you, if forced to choose one,

A game with fantastic deep gameplay

or a game with cutting edge graphics?

00e70166-a00f-4531-80b5-04525779e773_text.gif

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Cut edge graphics cost money, looots of money.
Great gameplay does not need big budget.

Of course gameplay come first but it's not a simple opposition. The usual conflict of interest is : Great graphics = AAA budget (not always but in general), AAA budget = huge risk need to sell massively = safe gameplay.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
There is a lot more discussion here about graphics than gameplay so the question is warranted.

This argument is as old as gaming forums are. Gameplay is just an expected quantity in... games. Graphics are the thing that people can measure getting better on a technical level over time, whereas there are games from the 20th century that play better than modern ones.

Also, gameplay stays the same across multiple platforms where hardware specs can affect graphical performance, so there's very little to discuss in that sense.

Artistic

Witcher 3 had pretty good graphics but shitty gameplay.
RDR2 had pretty good graphics but kinda shitty gameplay.
Kingdom Come had pretty good graphics but shitty gameplay.

And the list goes on.
Never played any of them, but I think you need better examples, especially with the first two.

Consensus picks maybe.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Never played any of them, but I think you need better examples, especially with the first two.

Consensus picks maybe.
Why? There are games with much better gameplay than Witcher 3 (like Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma) and RDR2 (like Max Payne 3 or Vanquish). ANy of those games had worst graphics than the better looking one, but their gameplay was far better. At least imo.

I'm so over graphics. Gameplay isn't the end-all be-all either, though. I've had plenty of fun with games that had both mediocre graphics and lackluster gameplay. Story, atmosphere and mechanics can make up for it from time to time. Piranha Bytes games are probably the best examples.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Kinda both.

When graphics and framerate is bad it makes the gameplay worse.

E.g I was enjoying the story on far cry 3 on the 360 but the framerate in the 20s and loads of aliasing made it really unjoyable so I stopped playing, the 360 really felt like a piece of junk when playing that game.

Kilau

Gold Member
I require the graphics and gameplay that only a 4K DLSS power house Switch Pro can provide.

i know what this poll is about

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Gameplay!

season 8 episode 13 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Nothing wrong about nice graphics or a combination of both but some of the games i enjoyed the most weren't that beautiful in particular or aren't anymore and i still love to play them.

Hunnybun

I'd much rather play an average PS5 game than a brilliant PS1 game, so I guess the answer is probably graphics.

wOs

Why not both? I guess growing up when the Atari was out makes me still in awe of graphics. Of course I want 60fps rock solid, but to think of nobody pushing the graphical boundaries makes me sad.

arvfab

Banned
A game is not about single elements. It's the sum of its parts. Sound, story etc. also play a role.

There are also genres/game types which are good although they lack one of them.

For example, visual novels can be good although there is barely any gameplay involved. Games like Super Mario are fun, although they have as good as no story.

Having said that, I would rather play a fun, but not so good looking game, instead of a boring looker.

Mister Wolf

Gameplay, even though I'm a PC graphics whore I can still play something like Xenoblade, Ys, or Trails Series and love them way way more than the graphical showcases I play.

Top Bottom