• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameplay or Graphics?

Choose wisely

• Graphics, cutting edge

• Gameplay, oh so much fun

Results are only viewable after voting.

XXL

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

ZywyPL

Banned
Man, aren't you tired of these debates

The correct answer is : Why not both?

This. It is an entirely unnecessary debate. Everyone wants games to look and play great.

Exactly. You don't have to choose one.

Not every game needs state of the art visuals to be awesome, quite the opposite, many games with great gameplay have very simplistic graphics but rely on a good artstyle, colour palette, animations etc.

XXL

I didn't vote, because choosing one is dumb. They are both important imo.

It's hilarious watching people who just bought new consoles, bitch about cross gen games, are all up in DF comparisons, think GOW:R is underwhelming, have a monster PC or think 30fps is a "slideshow" talk about how little graphics mean to them. The hypocrisy is embarrassing.
Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I will say this, it should always be gameplay over graphics... but at the same time graphics can just like any part of a game enhance the experience. All titles need a good mix of both, I'm not saying they need to be Death Stranding but for example Streets of Rage 4 looks like a shitty flash game and that detracts from the gameplay experience whilst if they had used updated and detailed spirits it would of most likely been a hit as big as Sonic Mania.

ZywyPL

Banned
It's hilarious watching people who just bought new consoles, bitch about cross gen games, are all up in DF comparisons, think GOW:R is underwhelming, have a monster PC or think 30fps is a "slideshow" talk about how little graphics mean to them. The hypocrisy is embarrassing.

Check out the bans list, all the mentioned people are there, hence the poll results.

HTK

Banned
Gameplay is what will keep you around, not pretty graphics that wear of quickly. This is interactive video game not a movie. We've reached a point where we can have both but gameplay is still king. Nintendo knows this better than anyone.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I will say this, it should always be gameplay over graphics... but at the same time graphics can just like any part of a game enhance the experience. All titles need a good mix of both, I'm not saying they need to be Death Stranding but for example Streets of Rage 4 looks like a shitty flash game and that detracts from the gameplay experience whilst if they had used updated and detailed spirits it would of most likely been a hit as big as Sonic Mania.

Yeah games like Abzu rely heavily on it's graphics to immerse the player so it goes both ways.

Gameplay. Every time.

I see people saying things like there are few PS1 games that they want to play now. I get that. But I think much of that is because other things besides graphics and gameplay also evolve over time.

Two examples:

Tomb Raider (original). It's a classic, and it's got better gameplay than recent Tomb Raider games. But Lara controls like a radio controlled tank. Which makes it hard to enjoy now.

Gran Turismo one. Great at the time. But I'm buggered if I want to play it now. Modern games have this fantastic feature where if you want to enter a race and you don't have an eligible car, they take you to the shop and only show you cars which can enter that race. Previously you had to know which cars were 2WD with the engine in the middle of the car, or whatever.

The actual racing was fine, but other niggles make the game difficult to go back to.

Super Arcade Football has just come out for Switch. It's got really retro graphics, and it's addictive as hell.

I had an Atari lynx - still play on it sometimes - and that has plenty of games with awesome graphics for an 89 handheld, but mediocre gameplay, like tech demos. Warbirds and Blue Lightning spring to mind.

I think graphics can certainly add to the feeling of involvement in some genres. A racing SIM, for example, can be hard to take seriously if you usually play racers with better graphics.

But it's gameplay all day for me. Plenty of classic games have graphics that are very retro now, but they still play like a dream.

Super Mario World (most Mario games in fact)
Tetris
Bubble Bobble
Wave Race 64
Streetfighter 2
Sonic 2
Streets of Rage 2
Final Fight
Sega Rally

Hunnybun

Gameplay. Every time.

I see people saying things like there are few PS1 games that they want to play now. I get that. But I think much of that is because other things besides graphics and gameplay also evolve over time.

Two examples:

Tomb Raider (original). It's a classic, and it's got better gameplay than recent Tomb Raider games. But Lara controls like a radio controlled tank. Which makes it hard to enjoy now.

Gran Turismo one. Great at the time. But I'm buggered if I want to play it now. Modern games have this fantastic feature where if you want to enter a race and you don't have an eligible car, they take you to the shop and only show you cars which can enter that race. Previously you had to know which cars were 2WD with the engine in the middle of the car, or whatever.

The actual racing was fine, but other niggles make the game difficult to go back to.

Super Arcade Football has just come out for Switch. It's got really retro graphics, and it's addictive as hell.

I had an Atari lynx - still play on it sometimes - and that has plenty of games with awesome graphics for an 89 handheld, but mediocre gameplay, like tech demos. Warbirds and Blue Lightning spring to mind.

I think graphics can certainly add to the feeling of involvement in some genres. A racing SIM, for example, can be hard to take seriously if you usually play racers with better graphics.

But it's gameplay all day for me. Plenty of classic games have graphics that are very retro now, but they still play like a dream.

Super Mario World (most Mario games in fact)
Tetris
Bubble Bobble
Wave Race 64
Streetfighter 2
Sonic 2
Streets of Rage 2
Final Fight
Sega Rally

For me it applies to relatively new games as well, though. I've basically no interest in playing anything on a PS3/360 ever again, really. I'd love to play through something like Halo again, but for me a huge part of it would be lost without the whole audiovisual spectacular I experienced the first time round.

Fbh

Gameplay > Art Direction > Graphics

I didn't vote, because choosing one is dumb. They are both important imo.

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡

Kinda have to agree with this.
Every Gameplay or graphics poll is like 90% for "gameplay" and every 30fps or 60fps poll is like 95% for "60fps".

But you get a trailer like GOW Ragnarok which still looks better than most games out there, an most of the thread is people going:
dmitry.png

Buggy Loop

Gameplay --- always.

Nice graphics is only a cherry on top of the cake. If the cake's taste is only "ok", the cherry will not save it. I have a top of the line PC with a 3080 TI, yet I've had more fun with Outer wilds, Psychonauts 2, than the Death Stranding / Horizon zero dawn ultra high settings ultrawide 120 fps. I'm more looking forward to Metroid Dread and SMT5 than any TRUUUHHHHPPPLLLEEE AAAYYYY graphic powerhouse showcase announced thus far. There's Forza Horizon 5 actually I'm looking forward to.

Peoples bitching on Elden Ring's graphics for example are boggling my mind.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Not every game needs state of the art visuals to be awesome, quite the opposite, many games with great gameplay have very simplistic graphics but rely on a good artstyle, colour palette, animations etc.

I agree, but when I say "graphics" I'm not talking about "state of the art" as in pumping out the most pixels with ray tracing and all that. I want a game to be visually appealing. That's part of the enjoyment of video games along with game play. I didn't need Diablo 2 Resurrected to play Diablo 2, but I want to play Resurrected because of the updated visuals. So yes, I choose both.

lachesis

Gameplay is a given. Not even close.

But if the gameplay is the same between 2 games - then I will choose whichever has better graphics for the same money.

Indyblue

Of course gameplay but to be fair, I do occasionally “play” visual novels and walking simulatory games and I enjoy them so…

fart town usa

Gold Member
Gameplay all day.

I like great graphics but gameplay is always more important, it's why I mainly play retro games, modern stuff just doesn't really interest me for the most part.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder too. I love tweaking video settings and utilizing S-Video on retro consoles in conjunction with my Trinitron, it makes them look great.

junguler

Banned
gameplay is king, always have been and always will be. this is why you can go back several generations and still play fun games from then and enjoy yourself but a game that focused solely on graphics like the order 1886 looks outdated now and loses it only redeeming quality.

A.Romero

Who are the 7 people who voted for graphics?
Please tell us why graphics are more important to you.

I voted graphics.

Personally I have more fun with games that are technologically cutting edge. Normally high end games will offer both.

Some examples:

- BFV: Does it have something truly innovative gameplay wise? Not really but it does have immersive graphics and maps. Weather effects that impact gameplay, lots of concurrent players, huge maps, many things happening at once. That wouldn't be possible without cutting edge tech.
- Witcher 3: Is a third person RPG. Nothing truly innovative. Combat is average or maybe even below average. The whole package is amazing, though. Great music, voice acting, huge maps.
- GTAV: Nothing truly different from what they put forward since GTA3 except maybe an overhaul combat system. An immersive city in a huge map makes it an exceptional game.
- Yakuza 6: Same as previous Yakuza games but higher visual fidelity and additional environments (together with a good story) makes it worthwhile.

I don't think as consumers we should chose between one or the other but normally AAA games have best tech and decent or great gameplay. Many smaller games could have great gameplay but lack production values... If I wanted that I'd still be playing SNES games. Maybe not that far back but there are many formulas that have been basically perfected gameplay wise and innovation is rare now that we have explored the most common gameplay loops. I don't think it's too much to ask to have games that actually take advantage of newer tech.

Alan Wake

Both if possible, but gameplay is the obvious choice here. Take a game like Tearaway. It's all about the controls, and MM use all the strengths of the Vita in the gameplay. Or a game like The Order: 1886, one of the best looking games I've ever played but with almost no fun gameplay at all.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Are we back in 2013? ---- Also who the hell compares that like that, don't you mean graphics or performance. See that is something that I would answer towards. But gameplay or graphics? I didn't know you can play graphics. I thought it was about gameplay?
Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

Top Bottom