• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameplay or Graphics?

Choose wisely

• Graphics, cutting edge

• Gameplay, oh so much fun

Results are only viewable after voting.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
For me it would be:
1. Story - if the story doesn't interest me I won't stay with the game
2 If the story is great but the gameplay sucks, shitty controls, boring combat etc - I'm out
3. I can live with lower end graphics if the 1st 2 are great, but the 1st 2 have to be exceptional if the game looks like some anime shit and I will not play a game with really super ugly graphics or something that looks like the original Legend of Zelda on the NES

Derktron

Banned
Only Playstation Studios can provide both!
Ubisoft would like a word with you

Fitness Workout GIF by Rabbids

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't need cutting edge graphics, art direction is WAY more important and they are games so I need to enjoy gameplay.

Prehistoric topics like this are dumb. You’re not forced to choose nowadays.
I didn't vote, because choosing one is dumb. They are both important imo.

It's hilarious watching people who just bought new consoles, bitch about cross gen games, are all up in DF comparisons, think GOW:R is underwhelming, have a monster PC or think 30fps is a "slideshow" talk about how little graphics mean to them. The hypocrisy is embarrassing.
Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡
Thank you

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
This subject always depended on the game for me as an example Grand Theft Auto has to look good if GTA 6 comes out and it looks worse than 5 but has 10 times better gameplay it's still going a trashed it always depends on the title at the end of the day

Keihart

I always find the notion of gameplay over graphics to be an oversimplification, because, at the end , videogames are a visual medium.
Aesthetics are as important as the interactions in the games, lots of people will be put off by the aesthetics of some games, for example, some people can't stand anime aesthetics regardless of how interesting the gameplay might be.

So yeah, gameplay, graphics and sound, they are all part of the feedback loop. Good luck playing a game without feedback.

Last edited:

Neo_game

It goes without saying that gameplay is most important factor. I would say I choose gfx over performance, because I do not play online. I do not care about 120fps either. I play very few games and SP, shorter games are right up my alley. IMO most games these are pretty good looking anyways including indies, AA games. So for me instead of higher res or fps I would like better gfx.

Last edited:

Miles708

People love to say graphics isn't important and that they don't care.
Obviously, that's bullshit.

No one will endure hours of eye-sore to uncover some hidden gameplay revelation, videogames are mostly visual entertainment and human beings are mostly visual creatures.
Now, the range of graphics-over-everything-else changes for each individual, but I'm inclined to say that a stereotyped, boring or predictible gameplay can easily forgiven over great presentation (graphics and/or art-style). Heck, look at Kena, or Death Stranding, or Ghost of Tsushima.

But an hideous art style or terrible technical department? Good luck with your gameplay, hope it's something at least revolutionary .

Last edited:

Danjin44

it's a bit exhausting dealing with the reactive, and self-convincing "I only care about gameplay!!" people.
I’m much more exhausted the amount graphic whoring in forums. There is one caring good visuals but another thing childish arguments over few pixels.

In here my mind blown that people consider game like Elden Ring and “ugly” just because it doesn’t have cutting edge graphics.

My biggest problem is that most AA games gets ignored solely the “graphics” are GAF’s standard.

Last edited:

Same ol G

I voted graphics.

Personally I have more fun with games that are technologically cutting edge. Normally high end games will offer both.

Some examples:

- BFV: Does it have something truly innovative gameplay wise? Not really but it does have immersive graphics and maps. Weather effects that impact gameplay, lots of concurrent players, huge maps, many things happening at once. That wouldn't be possible without cutting edge tech.
- Witcher 3: Is a third person RPG. Nothing truly innovative. Combat is average or maybe even below average. The whole package is amazing, though. Great music, voice acting, huge maps.
- GTAV: Nothing truly different from what they put forward since GTA3 except maybe an overhaul combat system. An immersive city in a huge map makes it an exceptional game.
- Yakuza 6: Same as previous Yakuza games but higher visual fidelity and additional environments (together with a good story) makes it worthwhile.

I don't think as consumers we should chose between one or the other but normally AAA games have best tech and decent or great gameplay. Many smaller games could have great gameplay but lack production values... If I wanted that I'd still be playing SNES games. Maybe not that far back but there are many formulas that have been basically perfected gameplay wise and innovation is rare now that we have explored the most common gameplay loops. I don't think it's too much to ask to have games that actually take advantage of newer tech.
You're making very good points and im totally agreeing with you.
All the things you point out have to do with gameplay.

Weather effects that impact gameplay, lots of concurrent players, huge maps, many things happening at once. That wouldn't be possible without cutting edge tech.

That's gameplay.

GTA3 except maybe an overhaul combat system. An immersive city in a huge map makes it an exceptional game.

That's gameplay.

When i choose gameplay i also wanna have the best game possible, a good story with a great cast, an interesting world etc.....
With only graphics you can't achieve that.

Astral Dog

Its not one or the other, many of the best games ever made used the best tech available to push their gameplay and visual ideas.

Doesn't mean there aren't super pretty games with shitty gameplay or rough looking ones with solid gameplay and a modest budget.

When gamers complain about this commonly they are confused why systems like the Switch, DS or Wii are so popular, and in some cases even its visuals praised, simply Nintendo takes advantage of their tech to make good playing, polished games with cool art, even if its not using the latest specs.

Gameplay for the most part. The graphics can be the prettiest thing in the world but if I'm not in to the game it's not going to make me stick around. A good example is Killzone: Shadow Fall. I was impressed with the graphics on my launch PS4 but I did not really enjoy this game.

Notabueno

Banned
Video games is a visual format, graphics are important, fuck ugly or trope graphics.

But then what defines video game is game design overall and therefor gameplay.

So I'd say that game design is about first, making a correct game, and if gameplay really is good or excellent then that's bonus, while graphics on the other hand is something to be judged more on the negative: in fact art direction clearly matters more than graphics which have been stalling anyways, although I'm starting to not have patience for ugly games or pixel/blocky crapware, even if I someone have a copy of said game I just throw it in the trash just because of the look.

Another thing that is important is: graphics are the first thing you see, and that may or may not be appealing (which is important for initial PR and "onboarding"), while game design and gameplay is something you only experience after in order to decide whether the game is actually good, pleasant or bad, annoying/boring....

So that's a false dillema: it's like asking if what is more important in a pizza is the sauce or the cheese.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
What's he point of graphics if the games suck?

Of course graphics do sell games I guess.

Lately I've been having a ton of fun with Eastward, which looks like a nice SNES game. Just this Wednesday my friend and I played Perfect Dark, Wave Race 64, and F-Zero X on original hardware and had plenty of fun.

Games are what matter.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I’m much more exhausted the amount graphic whoring in forums. There is one caring good visuals but another thing childish arguments over few pixels.

In here my mind blown that people consider game like Elden Ring and “ugly” just because it doesn’t have cutting edge graphics.

My biggest problem is that most AA games gets ignored solely the “graphics” are GAF’s standard.
I can agree with that too. Especially in regard to Elden Ring.

I guess when it comes to people disregarding graphics, it feels a bit more “bandwagon” to me, which is prob why it gets under my skin.

Last edited:
What I will add to my comment is that this specific question appears pretty regularly on places like forums and what you'll usually find is that whoever asked the question will usually have some sort of emotional connection to whatever console is considered the least technically capable at that time.
I don't know the person who asked the question this time, I don't know their post history or what they do and I'm sure there are a tiny number of times that it isn't true but it is one of those meaningless questions that has always popped up from time to time and I imagine that it will always continue to do so. 🤷‍♂️

Hugare

This question is ridiculous, imo

You cant have just one without the other.

I've droped gorgeous games that I didnt enjoy the gameplay, and also horrible looking games with amazing gameplay

Nier Automata plays amazing, but I couldnt stand that weeabo shit. The new Tales games is another good example: lots of praise, but the presentation is just not my thing.

I think that AC Odyssey and Valhalla looks amazing. But couldnt play them for more than 2h even if my mom's life depended on it.

Presentation/gameplay are equally important

Danjin44

I can agree with that too. Especially in regard to Elden Ring.

I guess when it comes to people disregarding graphics, it feels a bit more “bandwagon” to me, which is prob why it gets under my skin.
To me there is nothing wrong for liking beautiful visuals, I also like beautiful visuals this why I love games with good art direction. But graphic whoring is no longer about the actual visuals or its art of the gamse but rather pixels, ray tracing or other technical BS and the discussion always reduces in childish argument which plastic box is better. (just look at DF threads).

I cant even get proper discussion about most AA games here because the "graphics" doesn't meet the GAF's standards.

In this place you them either talking about graphics or controversy about gaming industry, but barely any discussion about actual games themselves, and I'm frankly I'm getting bored.

I have no interest in technical side of game development and no have interest in "politics" surrounding the industry, I'm here to talk about games, especially the ones that barely gets any attention but I fear this is no longer place for that.

A.Romero

You're making very good points and im totally agreeing with you.
All the things you point out have to do with gameplay.

Weather effects that impact gameplay, lots of concurrent players, huge maps, many things happening at once. That wouldn't be possible without cutting edge tech.

That's gameplay.

GTA3 except maybe an overhaul combat system. An immersive city in a huge map makes it an exceptional game.

That's gameplay.

When i choose gameplay i also wanna have the best game possible, a good story with a great cast, an interesting world etc.....
With only graphics you can't achieve that.

Oh yes, only graphics sound like a walking simulator to me. It can be nice for a bit but it gets boring fairly quick.

Graphics and sound are particularly important when they are an active part of the gameplay which is not possible otherwise.

Amiga

to take the new FFO:SoP trailer as an example, the graphics are modern but not "state of the art". but the gameplay is great.

so I would say as long as one thing isn't so bad that it distracts from the other.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I wouldn't care if someone successfully made a game like Star Citizen if it was all cell shaded or some easy-effect graphics. If someone could actually make multicrew vs multicrew ship battles work on a large server, I think that gameplay would 100% excite me over graphics.

Top Bottom