• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameplay or Graphics?

Choose wisely

• Graphics, cutting edge

• Gameplay, oh so much fun

Results are only viewable after voting.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I wouldn't care if someone successfully made a game like Star Citizen if it was all cell shaded or some easy-effect graphics. If someone could actually make multicrew vs multicrew ship battles work on a large server, I think that gameplay would 100% excite me over graphics.
I would take a game in polygon Virtua Racing style if they could create the most detailed intricate worlds ever.

Ridiculous how nobody even bothers to try this approach.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Man, aren't you tired of these debates

The correct answer is : Why not both?
Because not all devs have the luxury to have “cutting edge graphics” in their games. Most games with interesting ideas usually don’t have “mass appeal“ in order effort high tech graphics.

Most of favourite games were mostly AA games, it might not had most Advance graphics but that didn’t stop it from being fun and memorable.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
“Video games are a visual medium” means nothing. Tetris is still Tetris regardless of the power differences between a 1984 computer and a PS5. It’s visual because you’re interacting with images. How those images look isn‘t important per se. It’s how the images contribute to the sum of the parts that’s important. Even a game that ”looks ugly” or “could’ve looked better if it had this or that artstyle” can still have a strong visual identity that will make it stand out.

I suspect not a few people conflate “graphics” with photorealism and fidelity - something that’s been going on since the PS2 era at least, when something like Auto Modellista probably looked like a joke to Gran Turismo fans, even if it was absolutely impossible one generation before and it was, therefore, as cutting edge as it could be.

Photorealism can be a double-edged sword - we know all too well some ”photorealistic” games from the 7th gen that are only still remembered now thanks to the memes making fun of their uncanny valley moments.
And yeah, there’s times when you have all the reasons to wish a game looked different - some PSP-era sequels or remakes like Megaman Maverick Hunter X, that Ghosts ‘n Goblins game, etc, looked definitely not on the same level as their source material.
But all too often you see sweeping comments like “I don’t like anything 2D” that tell you all you need to know about what the people who make those comments really expect from video game graphics.

Graphics are very important, yes, but in the sense that they must be appropriate to the context of the game.

dezzy8

If the gameplay is fun I can look past graphics. If the game looks like a generic unreal engine game I’d ignore it though.

TonyK

I chosen graphics because, obviously I want both, I can play a super good looking game with poor gameplay (Imagine something like Ryse son of Rome or The Order), but I can't play a (supposed) great gameplay with shitty graphics, like for example Undertale.

Justin9mm

In 2021 games should deliver on both. It's not an unreasonable expectation anymore.

Gameplay is most important but no matter how good a game plays, I can't play something that looks like crap to me. I can't get into a lot of older games I may of missed out on because they look too dated. That's just me.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
x0cgb3nmq8641.png

Both.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Astonishing, it's an exact mirror of the number of threads raging about graphics vs those agonizing over gameplay

w4fucl7.jpg

Graphics = Ammo in these Console Wars

You can see by these numbers GAF is mostly full of people that like to play games.. It's a small (??) but vocal minority that fill these performance cross game threads and I'm glad the administration has put a stop on this nonsense.

Tschumi

Graphics = Ammo in these Console Wars

You can see by these numbers GAF is mostly full of people that like to play games.. It's a small (??) but vocal minority that fill these performance cross game threads and I'm glad the administration has put a stop on this nonsense.
either that or people like to say the right thing but don't live up to it...

......straight up, i legit like your interpreation better :p I'm gonna stick with your one

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Technical talk has it's place for sure, discussing differences in performance and such is great because we all learn stuff. Sadly it's mostly used a a pretext for a ongoing pissing contest just for the sake of it. That, for me, is quite annoying

Myths

Some guy in this thread tried to group in most (if not all) PC gamers with expensive and top grade components as being focused on graphics only… when it’s typically the case they’re ensuring the game will run without hiccups by having said builds/components (Especially MP/Online games). Turning the sliders all the way is a bonus. Most vids reviewing games on expensive builds aren’t reviewing them to show off 30 fps with maxed settings.

Stay in your lane.

If gameplay was so important as people votes we wouldn't need new consoles generations that usually change nothing in gameplay ;)
Or maybe they allow for more complex calculations (compared to its predecessors) if a dev decides they want to improve on AI, scripts, physics, and other aspects inherently bound to gameplay. Not just graphics.

On the other hand, you could of course argue that graphics plays a role in signaling or indicating elements of the game to the player. So with regard to graphics, it might be just as important.

Is the smooth frame rate part of graphics or gameplay? seems like a bit of both, no?
The question only asks us to choose one without mention of it being for performance or eye candy. Whatever reason you have in choosing is up to you.

Last edited:
I reject the premise, OP.

Fundamentally, there are no games without both gameplay and graphics and so it would have been better to reframe your question.

So yeah,....

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Ps5ProFoSho

I would rather play an hd remaster of gran turismo (OG) vs 8K gran turismo sport. Or ps1 soul edge vs mortal kombat 11. The first games I was ever addicted to were because of amazing gameplay. Even though back then those graphics were 🔥

sncvsrtoip

Or maybe they allow for more complex calculations (compared to its predecessors) if a dev decides they want to improve on AI, scripts, physics, and other aspects inherently bound to gameplay. Not just graphics.
yes new hardware allows better ai and physics but we have seen almost 0 improvement in this aspect last 15 years but massive jump in graphics department

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
i'm like neo when i play faster paced games
keanu reeves 90s GIF
don't really pay attention to graphics just focused on completing the mission/tasks. if its a slower paced game and involves more walking/exploring I'll probably admire the graphics more. I usually decide if I want to play a faster paced or slower paced game before hand and fuel up accordingly gotta amp myself up more for the faster paced games. most times i feel the game is usually mixed in pace with it being mostly slower paced with some faster paced gameplay sequences thrown in. but its hard to switch between the two modes if I gotta get amped up I'm going to stay in that mindset for probably the whole gaming session and won't really admire the graphics through the session

Myths

yes new hardware allows better ai and physics but we have seen almost 0 improvement in this aspect last 15 years but massive jump in graphics department
Where have you been the last 15 years then? Collision detection alone should serve as an example and that’s not even scratching the surface.

Definitely graphics. Some of my most memorable games for me are from how pretty they looked. It draws me into the game more. Kena didn’t have the best gameplay but the graphics kept me coming back. It’s beautiful.

Danjin44

Why does it have to be either or?
Because game development is not magic? Having high tech graphics needs big budget and big team which not all devs can effort, especially games going for very specific experience that doesn’t have “mass appeal”.

Mr Hyde

Gameplay everyday, all day. Nice graphics is important for immersion and general awe, but if the gameplay suck and it's not fun to play then great graphics don't really matter much.

Haggard

Banned
Because game development is not magic? Having high tech graphics needs big budget and big team which not all devs can effort, especially games going for very specific experience that doesn’t have “mass appeal”.
there are enough games in the AAA space that offer both. this poll is nonsensical black and white painting while reality is pretty much all shades of grey.

Danjin44

there are enough games in the AAA space that offer both. this poll is nonsensical black and white painting while reality is pretty much all shades of grey.
For me most my favourite games were mostly AA, meanwhile most of AAA going for bloated open world games.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I would take a game in polygon Virtua Racing style if they could create the most detailed intricate worlds ever.

Ridiculous how nobody even bothers to try this approach.
Yeah. I thought about that a long time ago. I'd love a big game in that style.

There are a few indie games that use the style. But they're not intricate or large.

GymWolf

Both, only people with shitty hardware at home need to decide between the 2 every time they buy a game.

We had many games with great graphic and gameplay and shitty production values doesn't traduce in great gameplay all the times like many people want to believe.

Last edited:

miamaelia

Banned
Both, only people with shitty hardware at home need to decide between the 2 every time they buy a game.
guidedhacking
We had many games with great graphic and gameplay and shitty production values doesn't traduce in great gameplay all the times like many people want to believe.
yeah. I played one of two. and my experience is really amazing with this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom