• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameplay trailer for Weird West (new isometric immersive sims from ex-arkane devs)

MDSLKTR

From Prey and Dishonored to this?
Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

GymWolf

That would be true if it was Cell Shaded, but it just has outlines. The hand-drawn textures, black outlines, dry and arid settings, even the overall style, screams Borderlands
Yeah i don't know, other than the graphical similarity i was not thinking at all about borderlands while watching the trailer.

People who play borderlands most probably doesn't play immersive sims so i don't know how much the devs were trying to achieve some sort of comparison between the 2 titles to attract borderlands player...

Neilg

The art style is absolutely very similar to borderlands - the scribbly pen-drawn 'shadows' painted onto textures etc. You'd have to be mad to deny it.
I don't think they were copying borderlands though... borderlands was doing a comic book thing and so is this.
The art source goes further than video games, Ben Hibon is likey a big influence -
Hope it is good, could be fun if they nail how reactive it is.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

The way the characters move looks very low budget. Probably not gonna end up on my radar.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We were quite impressed by our first look at Weird West, a new isometric third-person shooter from WolfEye studios, a team comprised of ex-Dishonored and ex-Prey developers. This is our first-look preview, written by Luke Winkie.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I thought this forum supposed to be full of game enthusiast but judging from previous posts this is clearly not the case.

If you value cinematic quality graphics more than immersion and interactivity and are quick to dismiss a game because it's not in third person with flashy combat and climbable ledges covered with shit then you're missing out on many of the greatest games ever made.

To me it's easily one of most anticipated game this year. The extended gameplay from 2 months ago clearly shows it's still work in progress but what's already there is fantastic.

GymWolf GymWolf , have you seen it?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I thought this forum supposed to be full of game enthusiast but judging from previous posts this is clearly not the case.

If you value cinematic quality graphics more than immersion and interactivity and are quick to dismiss a game because it's not in third person with flashy combat and climbable ledges covered with shit then you're missing out on many of the greatest games ever made.

To me it's easily one of most anticipated game this year. The extended gameplay from 2 months ago clearly shows it's still work in progress but what's already there is fantastic.

I got Desperados III on day 1. Great game.

Never heard of this game though or even noticed it on the storefronts. Seems to have completely fell off the radar.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I got Desperados III on day 1. Great game.

Never heard of this game though or even noticed it on the storefronts. Seems to have completely fell off the radar.

I'm yet to to play Desperados III. Desperados I was my jam back in the day and I always liked it more than Commandos. I will check it out on Game Pass and if it's as good as people on Steam claim it to be then I will also buy it there.

Every time game is on sale it jumps near the top sellers on Steam so I think it's doing quite okay on PC.

Great taste. Chef's kiss! :messenger_kissing_smiling:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm yet to to play Desperados III. Desperados I was my jam back in the day and I always liked it more than Commandos. I will check it out on Game Pass and if it's as good as people on Steam claim it to be then I will also buy it there.

Every time game is on sale it jumps near the top sellers on Steam so I think it's doing quite okay on PC.

Great taste. Chef's kiss! :messenger_kissing_smiling:
Oh yeah, if you're into any of those games Desperados III won't disappoint. And if you have Gamepass there is no excuse. It's definitely good.

If you never picked up Shadow Tactics it's frequently $5. Literally the same team, same series, just set in feudal Japan.

Fools idol

Banned
I've watched and read every scrap of information on this game to date and It looks incredible. I've long wanted this kind if game
in this setting and developers that know what they are doing. It's been a while
since I felt this way in the lead up to a release, probably not since D:OS2

GymWolf

No thanks, today i have a small surgery so now i know what to watch when they wake me up :messenger_kissing_smiling:

Flintty

Looks great but what exactly are they simming? Looks like an ARPG type game to me and I’m in, regardless.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Looks great but what exactly are they simming? Looks like an ARPG type game to me and I’m in, regardless.

Look up immersive sim on Google. They "simming" something that is almost completely absent in modern video games. Something that only games as a medium can offer: player choice.

You know how in Red Read Redemption 2 you mission fail even if you breath at the controller the wrong way (meaning the way developers didn't intended)? Well, immersive sim is like the complete opposite of this.

It's the best type of game.

SJRB

Gold Member

Needlessly harsh.

I personally love Dishonored and Prey, but am kinda iffy on this one for the sole reason that for me there's nothing immersive about top down isometric games.

So sure it has my attention simply because ex-Arkane staff is working on this and they have a god-tier track record, but the interest is already way lower.

Fools idol

Banned
heh, speak for yourself -- I personally find isometric games way more immersive because I grew up with them during my early years of RPG gaming. The infinity engine ones especially.
Of course, as you say, its just personal preference.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Needlessly harsh.

I personally love Dishonored and Prey, but am kinda iffy on this one for the sole reason that for me there's nothing immersive about top down isometric games.

So sure it has my attention simply because ex-Arkane staff is working on this and they have a god-tier track record, but the interest is already way lower.

Sorry man, no harm intended. I understand what you're saying I just don't think that perspective / graphics is that important to be immersed in a game. I know it will vary from person to person.

You can play System Shock 2 in 2021, a game that looks like this and it will be a more immersive experience than 99% of modern titles.
9tiHdEj.png

Or you can play modern isometric RPG and it will be more immersive and offer more choice than any of the first / third person big boys:
WkU6o0b.jpg

If I had a choice: Fallout 4 or Fallout 2. Well, it's not even a choice, Fallout 2 all the way.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

WolfEye Games creative director Raf Colantonio walks through an overview of action RPG x immersive sim Weird West in the first of a series of deeper dive videos.

Weird West is coming to PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 on January 11th.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
What is this shit? What happened to "Fall 2021"?

I hope the wait will be worth it and we will receive a polished product. You can pre order it on Steam right now:

Last edited:
Top Bottom