• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameRant: PlayStation VR2 Users Are Having Problems With Blurry Screens

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://gamerant.com/playstation-vr2-blurry-screen-edges/
Players who purchased PlayStation's latest virtual reality headset are having problems with blurry images hindering the PS VR2 gaming experience.

Early adopters of the PlayStation VR2 are struggling to configure their virtual reality headsets and are having problems with blurry images as a result. The PS VR2 comes with better graphics than its predecessor, but some players are dealing with poor image quality.

PlayStation released its PS VR2 headset on February 22, offering players an enhanced version of its virtual reality hardware. This new headset, compatible with the PlayStation 5, comes with four cameras mounted on the headset to track players’ movements, eye tracking technology, six-axis motion sensors, and new controllers with haptic feedback able to detect finger touches. The graphical quality of this new virtual reality headset is better than its predecessor, as the PS VR2 includes an OLED panel with a 4K display resolution and 90Hz/120Hz frame rate that supports HDR and a field of view of approximately 110 degrees.

Despite the many qualities of the PS VR2, early adopters of PlayStation’s latest virtual reality headset report issues with blurry images when playing the PS VR2 launch titles. Both virtual reality veterans and rookies struggle to configure their PS VR2 so the image is crisp and doesn’t show any blurring or chromatic aberration.

How to Fix PlayStation VR2 Blurry Image​

Guides on how to fix blurry images on PS VR2 are appearing online, as several players struggle to find the sweet spot to have the best graphical quality with their virtual reality headsets. The main solution to fix blurry images on PS VR2 is to access its settings and select Adjust Lens Distance and VR Headset Position. Recalibrating the eye-tracking technology can also help, as well as cleaning the lenses to ensure the image is as clear as possible. Last but not least, players should readjust their PS VR2 to make sure it fits comfortably on their face and is tight enough so it doesn’t move while they play their favorite VR games.

Also Push SPank reported on this issue as well, https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2023/02/psvr2-early-adopters-are-struggling-to-find-the-sweet-spot
While there’s been a ton of positivity surrounding this week’s PSVR2 launch, one of the dominating discussions has pertained to how to fix blurry or unclear image quality. A large proportion of early adopters – both virtual reality veterans and complete rookies – are struggling to find the “sweet spot” in the lenses, which is the area that gives you the clearest view of the game world around you.

We must admit, we’ve struggled with this too, and have prepared a couple of guides to help you to get the best possible experience:

Even with these tips, though, there’s no doubt that this is fast emerging as one of PSVR2’s weaker elements. While the resolution is pin-sharp when the headset’s worn properly, knocking it slightly off kilter can result in blurring, chromatic aberration, and an overall softness to the image. This can even occur in-game, as the sweet spot is so small even a tiny movement in physical games like Pistol Whip can ruin the image quality.

We’re not really sure what can be done about this, as it’s ultimately a hardware issue rather than a bug or software flaw. Definitely read our tips if you’re struggling with this and keep faffing around with your fit until you find the optimal placement. But yeah, considering the sheer number of owners struggling with this, it’s a clear oversight from the manufacturer.

It seems that this burry vision is becoming a more and more common issue people are having with their headsets, along with one or both sensor controllers having issues as reported in the other thread.

Now, I can't really say much myself since I have not experienced either problem, yet, everything has been working fine, but the I've been looking round and the complaints people are making for both problems are definitely higher than your common defect percentage so it does seem like it is happening to a decent number of people.

I think the sense controller issue could be solved with a software update from Sony imo, although for those impacted by the blur problem that seems to be a hardware issue. Follow Pushsquares guide or many of the other guide out there and if you're impacted, see if they help you clear up the fog so you can see clearly.

Last edited:

ThaGuy

Excited Its You GIF by Giffffr

FunkMiller

You have to wonder why this wasn't picked up a bit more in testing. Seems like something a lot of people are having issues with. It does appear like the sweet spot is there, but it seems very narrow, hard to find for some... and maybe hard to maintain. The reports of pretty extreme mura are a bit worrying as well. Kinda weird, given that I remember PSVR being pretty easy to get the sweet spot for.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The artical literally says it's user error. Did you even read it or did you rush to post fud.
Well if you read it all, it's kind of a mixed bag, they do say some user error but also lay blame on the extremely small sweet spot and that some gamers are losing said sweet spot just by playing a game like pistol whip.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
LOL this is hilarious. One site cites another's site's mock news "article" written specifically to advertise their beginner guide on how to adjust the headset (you know, these guides that answer hilariously elementary questions to catch google search like "how to play multiplayer on X"), and someone makes a thread here like it was actual news about an actual issue. 😂

Ah, the weekend... 😏

Last edited:

FunkMiller

LOL this is hilarious. One site cites another's site's mock news "article" written specifically to advertise their beginner guide on how to adjust the headset (you know, these guides that answer hilariously elementary questions to catch google search like "how to play multiplayer on X"), and someone makes a thread here like it was actual news about an actual issue. 😂

Ah, the weekend... 😏

There's a lot of people who have bought the headset, talking about the same issue on VR forums. I don't think you can just dismiss it. Some people are having the problem of finding and maintaining the sweet spot. It's certainly something I'd want to see a lot more feedback about, before I jump in and buy it.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
There's a lot of people who have bought the headset, talking about the same issue on VR forums. I don't think you can just dismiss it. Some people are having the problem of finding and maintaining the sweet spot. It's certainly something I'd want to see a lot more feedback about, before I jump in and buy it.

There are a lot of people who have bought the headset having never used a VR headset before and don't RTFM, so they don't know that VR isn't just a matter of slapping the headset on your nose and call it a day.

Here's a simple "guide" on why this is hilarious.

Site A writes a guide answering an elementary question to catch google search.
Site A writes "news" exaggerating the relevance of said question to advertise the guide.
Site B believes Site A's "news" and reports it like it was actual news. It's a weekend so people are struggling for "news" to write and whatever works.
GAF user (who seems to love to spam this forum with new threads about the weirdest stuff) believes Site B and posts it here like it was an actual issue even attributing the news to Site B in the topic.

The whole loop is almost as hilarious as GAF->Internet->GAF. 😂

Last edited:

FunkMiller

There are a lot of people who have bought the headset having never used a VR headset before and don't RTFM, so they don't know that VR isn't just a matter of slapping the headset on your nose and call it a day.

There are also VR vets who are expressing the same opinion. It seems like it's a very narrow sweet spot, which isn't ideal.

Crayon

It's definitely harder than the first one to get it lined up but most people will figure it out. From our sample here, a number of the complaints were actually people thinking it should look like the density of a 4k tv, too.

gothmog

Gold Member
I've been messing with mine all day with the family. Most of the issues have been either the user not tightening it up enough or not moving the eye distance wheel enough. Once dialed in it stays that way for at least a play session. Maybe they just need an easy way to detect and help adjust when it does slip.

Loxus

There are also VR vets who are expressing the same opinion. It seems like it's a very narrow sweet spot, which isn't ideal.
There are many more people who are enjoying the hell out of this headset.

Now, I'm not saying that there can't be any issues, but there are many fake out cry that blow things way out of proportion.

Stooky

What is a Vr vet? Can i be one? Psvr2 is pretty good, no issues for me so far. To have to manually adjust is probably to much for the general public.

Last edited:
The artical literally says it's user error. Did you even read it or did you rush to post fud.

I didn't say it wasn't user error? And suggested to follow the guide they posted to resolve it?

LOL this is hilarious. One site cites another's site's mock news "article" written specifically to advertise their beginner guide

These are two different articles, Gamerant isn't citing push square.

Well if you read it all, it's kind of a mixed bag, they do say some user error but also lay blame on the extremely small sweet spot and that some gamers are losing said sweet spot just by playing a game like pistol whip.

Correct.

Last edited:
A 2,000 x 2,040 image (or two) strapped directly onto your face is always going to be blurry and/or aliased to some degree. Getting a VR headset onto your head with the right fit isn't remotely as difficult as VR people pretend it is – let's be honest, they just want to condescend – but if you're new to VR the inherent blurriness of the image can seem extreme.

Also, if it has a bad sweet spot such that you cannot look around with your eyes to at least read text then that's likely a deal-breaker for a lot of people, and something that will seem like a major fault to the inexperienced. Personally I wouldn't use a headset like that.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

My biggest issue in cinema mode is that the center is super sharp but anything on the outside of that isn't readable.
No text.
No mini maps
Even the loading icons on most game have a horrible lens flare.

Moonjt9

Huge pebkac situation here.

You just have to adjust the headset so it clicks into focus. Really not a big deal though I will give them that the sweet spot is pretty small. But it doesn’t move around a lot and it’s trivial to do a quick adjustment in case it does slip.

Really quite easy.

reinking

Gold Member
My biggest issue in cinema mode is that the center is super sharp but anything on the outside of that isn't readable.
No text.
No mini maps
Even the loading icons on most game have a horrible lens flare.
You have to turn your head. It will focus on what you are looking at straight in front of you. I do hope eye tracking works with it in the future.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
These are two different articles, Gamerant isn't citing push square.

LOL. While I understand that certain sites make an intentional effort to hide their sources, it's funny that you actually deny it and doubled down to try to make your thread seem more relevant. "Hey look! Two sites talk about it! It must be important!" 😂

UVuolxo.jpg

Last edited:
LOL. While I understand that certain sites make an intentional effort to hide their sources, it's funny that you actually deny it and doubled down to try to make your thread seem more relevant. "Hey look! Two sites talk about it! It must be important!"

Orrr, we aren't on Gamefaqs and I simply didn't see that last small line way at the bottom of the gamerant page?

I mean your comment runs into yourself, you admit that these guys hise sources, but then say i deny something? Deny what? All I said was they were two different articles, or so I thought anyway.

Doesn't change what I said in the OP, if people have an issue with the blurriness, than follow the guide on how to fix it. Doesn't seem controversial to me.

Fredrik

Gamereactor talked about this in their review, blur on the edges and god rays, they said the problem was that it used normal fresnel lenses and that they should’ve had double fresnel ?

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
That’s a VR wide issue. If the headset isnt on right you see blurry. If you move your head around too much like these games demand, it loosens.

The form and function of VR is not jiving well yet. It will take a couple more years to figure out.

I’ve known a couple people totally hyped by VR, but when they get it they feel sick or underwhelmed after a couple play sessions.

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
While the article sounds like ai generated garbage, there are heaps of videos on YouTube with guides how to not make things blurry, clearly there is A problem.

I wonder if anyone exchanged their blurry headset and got one that was not blurry?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
While the article sounds like ai generated garbage, there are heaps of videos on YouTube with guides how to not make things blurry, clearly there is A problem.

I wonder if anyone exchanged their blurry headset and got one that was not blurry?
It's not really a problem though. That's just how VR works.

The lenses have a sweet spot that you need to see into (and adjust the headset when you wear it so the sweet spot is naturally where your eyes go to = so it's never blurry).

That's why every VR has an IPD (Inter-Pupillary Distance) setting, because different people may have different IPDs and, therefore, the best settings / sweet spot may differ from all of them. It needs to be adjusted for the person who is using it.

20cent

Banned
Take a shower between your 12 hours sessions and your forehead touching the lenses when putting the goggles on won't make the lenses blurry anymore

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
If I have to turn my head than vr isn't worth it in cinema mode.
It would definitely be better with eye tracking. I watched a movie in it just to see how it would hold up. I found shrinking the screen down to about 60 - 70% helped a lot. Sure, it’s not in your face but it was still a good sized screen with total darkness around it. I do hope they update it to include eye tracking and virtual environments.

rofif

Banned
It’s fresnel lenses with very small sweet spot and no way to adjust it on the face aside from moving the whole thing on your head. It is difficult to get perfect image

saintjules

It's the one thing to obviously get right for a headset, but it might take a few iterations to get right I guess.

I'm a first timer when it comes to VR. What did Sony do wrong here from a technical standpoint? Wrong type of lens? How does the blurriness compare to other headsets?

Last edited:
In my experience, after three days of using the PSVR2 and being initially very, very disappointed with the blurry image quality I was getting due to not wearing the headset correctly (I did not have it far enough down the back of my head), I have now got an acceptable image in most games and believe the graininess/fuzziness is just down to the way the games are rendered a lower resolution and upscaled, which is much more noticeable here than it would be on a 55" OLED screen from 6 feet away. There is also noticeable fizzling/shimmering around text in games such as Gran Turismo 7. This graininess is also what is making the colours look a bit drab in games too in my opinion. Gran Turismo just looks much better on an OLED TV in my opinion and looks a bit washed out on the PSVR2, though you can tweak it a bit at the risk of blowing out the HDR highlights. The immersion of VR, of course, more than makes up for this and I find myself forgetting about the image quality issues and hit to the graphical quality hit (lower LODs, shadow draw in, pop in etc) as I play and enjoy the game.

I know the PSVR2 is set up correctly because when I switch to the black and white real-world view, the overlaid window with the text telling me to press the O button to return to the game is crystal sharp. Also, one demo I tried, Cosmonious High, looked much more vibrant and much sharper than any of the other games I'd tried up to that point, which included Gran Turismo 7, Moss Book I, Horizon: Call of the Mountain, Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge demo, Rez Infinite and Thumper. I was actually taken aback by how good that game looked. Finally, I was looking at a game that did look like it was running with crisp sharp visuals and bright colours on an OLED display. I believe this game is being rendered at native or close-to-native resolution which is why it looks so good.

Overall, I have to admit that while I am loving the VR experience, I am a bit underwhelmed by the image quality and was expecting all the games to look as sharp and colourful as Cosmonious High but they don't... sadly. This is my first experience with VR.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I found my lenses steamed up when I first put them to my face, I solved this by cleaning them with a cloth and after about 5 minutes of use its no longer an issue as the glass on the lens has reached the same temperature.

Outside of that I found where I am wearing the head (position of my eyes) up or down seems to be the biggest issue (dial only moves lenses left and right), once iv figured the angle its seated at correctly I tighten... no issue.

I assume this is an issue with people's first VR headset and having the mac "it just works" mentality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom