• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameRant: The journalist who wrote this may have a major weakness

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://gamerant.com/ps-vr2-major-weakness-cable-required/T
The gaming world is gearing up for the release of the PS VR2. The headset improves on its predecessor in many ways, featuring 110-degree field-of-view and orb-shaped controllers packing many of the features of the DualSense. This, together with the headset’s impressive launch line-up, could have it selling like hotcakes. Despite the many improvements it brings, it may have one big weakness – its cable is not detachable.

Although the PS VR2 will be wired like its predecessor, it will one have one thin USB C cable connecting it to the PS5. However, this cable appears to not be detachable from the headset itself. This could be a problem when it comes to updates and repairs.

The Problem with a Potentially Non-Detachable Cable​

Many gamers were hoping for the PS VR2 to be entirely wireless, although this was always highly improbable. The fact that it only requires one cable is a major improvement, as the PS VR could have players working with several cables. The PS VR2’s cable runs from the headset and is plugged into the USB-C port. According to sources who have interacted with the headset at CES 2023, the cable is not detachable from the headset itself. Although this seems like a minor detail, it could have major implications for gamers.

It is not uncommon for cables to get damaged over time, especially if electronics are improperly stored. This isn’t always a problem, as USB cables are relatively ubiquitous. However, if the cable is not detachable, then when it breaks, it renders the entire headset non-functional. This could result in hefty repair fees for gamers. It also makes this harder for gamers who may want a longer cable. Though the 14.7-foot cable is already pretty long, some gamers may need more for their gaming setup.

The PS VR2 Still Has Plenty of Positives​

Despite this Achilles’ heel, the PS VR2 is still shaping up to be a huge step up from the PS VR. Sony has released a FAQ for the headset, and plenty of interesting details have been revealed. Much like the PS VR, the PS VR2 will feature a cinematic mode. Players will be able to use their PS5 UI and view media and games on their PS5 using this mode. This allows players to turn the TV off while they use the headset, though they can keep it on if they want spectators to see what they are viewing. The headset will also feature See-Through View which allows players to observe their surroundings without taking the headset off.

The headset has an impressive launch line-up that should raise plenty of hype. Gamers can look forward to Horizon Call of the Mountain where players can take on hulking machines, or they can jump into the cockpit of their favorite car in Gran Turismo 7. Resident Evil Village and No Man’s Sky will also be making their way to the PS VR2, along with Tetris Effect, which should dazzle gamers. According to Sony, there are more than 100 titles currently in development for the headset, which should keep gamers occupied throughout the headset's lifespan.

Though the PS VR2 is certainly worth looking forward to, it isn’t the only virtual reality headset that will be hitting shelves in 2023. The Quest 3 is also on the way and it promises to be leaps ahead of the Quest 2. Although specs have yet to be revealed, it is certain to be competition for the PS VR2.

GameRant believe that PSVR2 having a non-detachable cable may have "major implication" (?) for gamers. Which could result in "hefty repair fees" and makes it harder for gamers who want a "longer cable" overall.

Although it was recently found it it is possible, just not very easy, I do think that it's a bit hyperbolic to say that a non-detachable cable is a "major implication" for gamers, but that's just me.

To be fair to GR, people have been complaining about the cable a lot, and some devs, gamers, and journalists have listed it as a weak point or a reason for not buying. But I feel the cable issue is overblown.

I understand some peoples complaints about not being standalone or wireless, but complaints specific to the cable not being detachable?

Last edited:

Crayon

It's servicable/sorta detachable. It actually goes into the main unit with a plug, but it runs through the headband and that takes some disassembly.

Either way if you are still looking high and low for a major weakness and that's what you turn up, I think we're in good shape.

Its a very clickbaity article. But its true that cables permanently attached to a system like that have some risk of damage to the system. Ruined a TV that way once when moving. Its not that important but technically not entirely baseless. Store it carefully I guess.

FunkMiller

Not going to pretend the fixed cable isn't a put off for me, after years of PCVR wirelessly. I think down the line people will see it as a mistake, but it's not going to be something that hampers sales much at the moment.

Brigandier

If that's the biggest gripe they can come up with then that's not a bad thing.... I played the Vive and Rift back in 2016/2017 and all them cables were annoying, hefty and broke immersion so a single small/light cable will be very pleasing.

Just look after your stuff and don't stand or sit on the wire where it connects to the headset 🤷‍♂️

ReBurn

Gold Member
They're not wrong. Breakaway cable would have been the better option. Not the end of the world but for a device this expensive having it die because you roll over a cable with your chair would be gut wrenching.

JaksGhost

Why don't we wait for people that actually have the headset in hand since this is reporting from CES experiences where it's a controlled environment with particular demo setups.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
A breakaway cable would be preferable, but I imagine most will not have an issue with this. I have personally ripped my charger out of the wall once while playing Echo on my Quest. Battery was low so I plugged in its long cable and it wrapped around one of my legs, this would have been awful if there was a PS5 attached to the other end of the cable.

ABnormal

A breakaway cable would be preferable, but I imagine most will not have an issue with this. I have personally ripped my charger out of the wall once while playing Echo on my Quest. Battery was low so I plugged in its long cable and it wrapped around one of my legs, this would have been awful if there was a PS5 attached to the other end of the cable.
Well, for sure if I will play any game that requires to move around, I will sure keep PS5 horizontal, so that there's no chance for it to fall on the side. The worst thing that could happen is to abruptly yank out the usb3 cable from ps5, turning it off.

Crayon

R6Rider R6Rider

Maybe you could put this one on there though I don't think it's going to get played much. Just wondering if there's enough for a 5x5 yet.

Pelao

Luckily I never had a problem with stepping on the cable during the years I used PSVR1, but I won't deny that I played constantly worrying about it. It helps to have good spatial awareness.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Why don't we wait for people that actually have the headset in hand since this is reporting from CES experiences where it's a controlled environment with particular demo setups.
That's probably why they waited for today when all the unboxing videos confirming that the cable is attached were released.

midnightAI

Talk about clutching at straws

Guess we can't have good news/videos such as the unboxing videos without someone (using an English slang term here...) pissing on their chips

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

Rac3r

"Despite articles claiming that the PSVR2 cable won't be detachable, as we show here it really is. Friends of the channel have gone hands-on, removed the cable themselves and described the process to us. You'll need to remove the padding and dismantle the headset a bit so it's not something you'll want to do unless you have to - but the point is that if you have to do it, you can. Unlike the PSVR1."

Not a big deal at all.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I have to admit. This is a major turn off for me.

If I can open the side where the cable is connected easily, then no problem. But cables breaking ( with me especially ) is something normal. Step on the end of the type c cable once by mistake and you are probably fucked.

How the hell they make an awesome VR and then have this shittu oversight ???

sachos

I don't know about major weakness but sure, i think its a fair complain. It would be nice if it were detachable for repair reasons. Maybe something to improve upon future revisions, but they would have to make sure that it has a good locking system so you don't detach it during play.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I dont have a huge issue with the cable, but it not being easily user replaced is kind of lame. That said, if I'm reviewing the psvr2 it's hardly a deal breaker, at worst it's 5% off the score.

Beechos

Wish it was still detachable. I still remember the days of wired controllers when someone would walk by and pull the system with it. The og xbox with the detachable controller cable was a godsend.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wish it was still detachable. I still remember the days of wired controllers when someone would walk by and pull the system with it. The og xbox with the detachable controller cable was a godsend.
Someone is going to make extender breakaways and/or you can use current USB-C DP breakaways.

//DEVIL//

"Despite articles claiming that the PSVR2 cable won't be detachable, as we show here it really is. Friends of the channel have gone hands-on, removed the cable themselves and described the process to us. You'll need to remove the padding and dismantle the headset a bit so it's not something you'll want to do unless you have to - but the point is that if you have to do it, you can. Unlike the PSVR1."""

So. it can be removed if you have to. you wont get locked out of PSVR2 if you damaged the cable.

Nothing to see here. just drama from some site.

I don't think its a big deal. Certainly not something that's deal breaking. I'm more worried about support than anything but I like to give them a chance to prove themselves first.

mrmustard

Banned
No question the cable sucks. But i'm gonna buy a VR ceiling cable management set = problem solved. It's only around 20 Euros which shouldn't be a problem if you can spend 600 Euros on the headset. Or if you are willing to pay more this one could be even better than the standard sets:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom