• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gameranx: 20 Incredible Unreal Engine 5 Fan-made Graphics Demos

CamHostage

:goog_unsure: I'll try not to completely rain on the parade, but...

Kind of be careful with the UE5 excitement. I was with you in wanting to make one of these "Wow, look at what's being done with UE5 already, this is the future of gaming!!" threads myself, then I realized, they were all basically UE 4.2X demos running in the UE5 test system. Yes, they're turning on Lumen, maybe they've gotten a boost from using Nanite, but otherwise they were getting similar results with UE4 (using different plugins that might in some cases be replaced by UE5 natively) and most of them are just using UE5 (intentionally or not) as the hook. The scenes were usually built and lit previously in UE4, they've almost always got megascan assets that have been around for a while, (albeit rarely integrated at the high-poly version levels available thanks to UE5,) and they're built easier in the established UE4.2X rather than the nascent and somewhat unstable UE5. Then UE5 takes a really good UE4 project and runs it even smoother and maybe a little prettier. The actual engine performance is amazing, when you dig into the numbers (which is one of the reasons all of these developers post their UE4 projects as UE5 tests, because they can't believe "it just works"), but the visuals aren't always thanks to the newness of UE5.

Take the area that looks really cool in UE5 for example, but this ArchViz set is a familiar UE asset package that also looked supercool two years ago or more in UE4:

(This implementation of the ArchViz set does let the user show off the Lumen lights turning on/off, and lights of different color temperatures blending in a scene.)

Hopefully you get what I'm trying to say here, not that it's not awesome to check into the UE5 party (which is just getting started,) but that we kind of missed the party for UE4 while we were playing all those games, and although some of these demos satisfy while we wait to REALLY see some flexing of UE5 as it matures, we should just in general celebrate Unreal Engine as bad-ass technology as itself.

Last edited:
….all the while Gamefreak is laughing to the bank

RKAF5EN.jpg

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A great wave of graphical performance is cresting now Unreal Engine 5 is on the horizon. For the uninitiated, Unreal Engine 5 is Epic’s real-time 3D creation tool, with this latest edition promising ‘game-changing fidelity.’ What does this mean for us gamers? Well, we can expect unparalleled realism, with immersive lighting and texture effects to unprecedented levels of natural detail.

We’ll talk a lot about Unreal Engine 5’s new features throughout this rundown; in particular, Lumen and Nanite. Lumen is UE5’s ‘dynamic global illumination’ system, achieved by utilising a global, natural light source to enhance the believability of a game’s setting. Nanite is a system which boosts geometric detail, meaning textures and surfaces from film-quality art sources can be rendered in real-time.

//DEVIL//

….all the while Gamefreak is laughing to the bank

RKAF5EN.jpg
you know why the Japanese market went to shit ? Because of this. They were stuck with the ps2 era graphics for so long when the PS3 hit and western devs were onboard, the Japanese dev couldn’t do shit for years.

In general, this Is a constant moving industry when it comes to developing technology . You can’t just stick to old programming / development or you will get outdated and no one will give a shit about you.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Unreal Engine 5 has finally been released, and whilst professional and amateur developers move beyond early builds of the 3D creation tool, to get to grips with its full version, we thought we’d take another look at the tech demos out there.

As before, the unparalleled realism, immersive lighting, and photo-realistic texture effects have us spellbound. It’s hard not to get too swept away by some of these demos, as it remains to be seen how the intricate environments demonstrated here will be incorporated into video games that’ll run smoothly at high framerates.

The matrix demo looks unreal

Christopher Reeve Reaction GIF

Lethal01

In general, this Is a constant moving industry when it comes to developing technology . You can’t just stick to old programming / development or you will get outdated and no one will give a shit about you.

Switch and mobile games just continue to prove the opposite is true, There's a giant market of people who don't care that much about graphics.

CamHostage

Pfft, GamingBolt, "Are you excited for Unreal Engine 5? Here's 15 games being made in it... I mean, it's all their UE4 projects and test footage, but still, somebody said "5", so just watch and imagine it being 5'ified!"

(Sorry, didn't mean to rain on the parade, just some of the UE5 hype can be overcooked. I enjoy some of the indie projects being done in it, but I really just want to see an actual game with Nanite and Lumen at this point; everybody's kitbashed 30GB 1-area sample or their tricked-out Matrix Awakens mod with no real work into like Chaos Physics or Niagara VFX/object sim or something more gamey just doesn't do a lot for me at this point.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom