• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameReactor talk a bit about Last Of Us PS5 Remake, a new Borderlands, Alan Wake 2 and KOTOR Remake and SW Fallen Order II

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Several very promising games haven't been officially announced yet, but these are some we can look forward to.​

Alan Wake 2
alan.jpg

Jeffrey Grubb and Jason Schreier have as usual been very good reporters lately and already told the world about most of these games, including this one.
Because Remedy is indeed working on a new Alan Wake game. This is one of the games we're getting as part of the extremely talented Finnish team's partnership with Epic Games, but that does obviously not mean it'll be exclusive on PC.
In terms of gameplay, it sounds like this highly anticipated sequel will build upon some of the stuff in Control's AWE expansion by having a few new interesting ways of using light and darkness both in combat and puzzles.
Maybe we'll get to see some neat ways of using ray tracing in gameplay by reflecting light or something like that?

More Borderlands
Borderlands-1-04-HD.png

We had to wait five years between Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and Borderlands 3, so it's understandable if you didn't expect to see more of Claptrap and crew for quite some time. You won't though.
A new Borderlands is much closer than you think. Not a numbered one, but what you might call a spin-off. Some of you might say it's too soon, considering Borderlands 3's Director's Cut expansion isn't even a month old. Don't worry.
This game will deliver something different that I can't wait to see the reactions to.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order 2
d3bc387894c78ab0d27bac6be81b244a.png

A large part of the Internet seemed to think Disney had cancelled its Star Wars deal with EA when Ubisoft Massive announced it's working on an open-world game set a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, but that's not true.
EA has several Star Wars projects in development, including the fairly obvious sequel to Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.
The project is once again being lead by Respawn, who's been tinkering with it for a long time already as the plan was to have it ready by 2023.
Not that we'll have to wait that long for more Star Wars.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake
KotOR1-843x370.jpg

Because we also have the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake I wrote about three months ago.
Some of you have apparently lost faith in this being as great as it could be due to Aspyr's less than perfect porting of Star Wars: Republic Commando, but don't give up hope yet.
Both Aspyr and Embracer Group know this is the studio's biggest and most important project to date, and it sounds like the leaks have made it even more clear how high the expectations are.
Hopefully this leads to the developers getting enough time and resources to at least get close to some of the amazing remakes we've received lately.

The Last of Us Remake
714225334fa008222c46bb7cff515468.jpg

While it would have been a lot of fun to see the world's reaction to a surprise reveal of this project, Schreier's report about what's been going on at PlayStation Studios lately spoiled it to some degree.
I say to some degree because people seem to think this will basically just be in the vein of The Last of Us: Remastered. Let's not blow expectations out of the water by hyping it up too much, but this won't be a "simple" improvement of resolution, framerate and textures.
The kennel is going to really take advantage of PlayStation 5's power and features with the The Last of Us: Part II engine. Not just in terms of graphics, but a few other things as well.

Those were the five games for this time, but we continue to cover stuff like this, IO Interactive's unannounced fantasy RPG and more.

Last edited:
You don't get why they would want to keep selling the game series that causes journos to piss themselves silly every time it is mentioned? Every GOTY award thrown at the franchise was a vote for this remake.

Also they have a TV show coming out. You don't see the cross marketing potential?

Just think, they go back, change things, make Joel into a jerk from the start, then complain about toxic fans when people naturally get upset. Use that to promote their tv show. It would be a win-win.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What’s the argument against remasters? Fans want them and I get the point that something determines what game gets remastered.

kiphalfton

There is literally zero reason to remake The Last of Us. It's backwards compatible.

Focus the time, money, etc. on something else ffs.

Edit:
I understand why certain games are remastered or remade, say for instance with the Darksiders games getting remastered, as it a) can help bring in some money to finance a new game in the series or b) bolster sales if the game didn't do great the first time around... but neither of those apply to Naughty Dog.

Last edited:

Ellery

Ye I know people hate that remasters and remakes are flooding the market, but I really hope the KOTOR Remake rumors are true, because it is a game I've never played and it is one of the favorite games of a good friend of mine and I told him I would definitely check out a remake of that game.
Also it gets universal praise from many gamers around the world so I would be excited to see what it is about.

Camreezie

The only thing I can imagine when I read what's been said about the last of us remake is that they're packing in multiplayer, but I can play that on ps5 through backwards compatibility anyway so what's the point

Perrott

Gold Member
There is literally zero reason to remake The Last of Us. It's backwards compatible.
The reason is for dozens of people over at Naughty Dog to have something to be busy with until the next big project is ready to move into full production. On top of that, there's also the fact that the TLOU Remake would allow ND to familiarize themselves with the PS5 hardware.

LMJ

I wonder if Druckman will rewrite elements of this version of TLOU to better suit his style/agenda?

Hunnybun

The reason is for dozens of people over at Naughty Dog to have something to be busy with until the next big project is ready to move into full production. On top of that, there's also the fact that the TLOU Remake would allow ND to familiarize themselves with the PS5 hardware.

Also - something which almost nobody seems to remember from Schreier's article - it was started by the Visual Arts Group team as an easy project for them to prove their mettle.

Then Sony/ND saw it, liked what they were doing and kind of co-opted it. One assumes this was at least partly to give them something to do after TLOU2 had shipped, as you say.

My guess is they're planning to release it together with the PS5 version of TLOU2, so they can justify charging $70 for the pair.

I really doubt it's that big a deal in terms of the team's resources.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I think they want to remake The Last of Us because the gameplay was far better in TLOU2.

I'm all for it; I kinda can't stand TLOU, but have heard/seen great things about TLOU2.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I just fucking don't get The Last of Us Remake.
Why?
Confused Liam Neeson GIF
Is it not their best selling game ever? It's basically their gta v. If it's going to sell another 10M over the next decade might as well upgrade it which in turn will justify selling it at a higher price.

Sygma

Either borderlands rogue lite or battle royale I guess ? Could be fun. Just gimme some tina

xrnzaaas

Why?
Confused Liam Neeson GIF
To make Joel look bad in an effort to convince people to hate him for what he's done to the zebra guy. They'll fail, of course.

Anyway I really hope Alan Wake 2 will happen after all. Just keep the core the same and expand on combat and puzzle solving. I've lost interest in Borderlands after 3 and we already got one very mediocre spin-off in the past.

Last edited:
It'll be a chance for Naughty Dog to learn the PS5 tech while the core team is figuring out what to make next. Plus it'll make Sony money.
Fucking hell FINALLY. It should not be too difficult for people to figure this out lol.

ND literally done this very same thing when PS4 launched. They worked on a remaster to get to grips with the platform before launching Uncharted 4.

1. Its an amazing game
2. They learned a lot and are going ti implement everything they did in 2 to 1
3. Theres a show coming out which will drive sales even more, especially the show seems to be getting a huge push
4. For them low risk, high overhead
Also THIS.

Maybe some people need a slide rule to help them understand.

Last edited:
I get that people don't like Part 2 for various reasons but comments like this are so stupid.

I think the reason for a Remake is due to the TV show, I can't see why they would remake it otherwise... the Remaster was fine.

Why did you assume I didn't like it?

Saber

Gold Member
1. Its an amazing game

No offense, but I feel like this one hell of captain obvious kinda of answer.

Pretty sure people generally ask why by using the fact that it's a pretty good game, therefore no need for a remake.

A remaster is one thing, but with the remake theres a possiblity that they might add unnecessary things, trying to change things so they match either LoU2 or the future Tv series(which could mean replace the original actors) or even create things that weren't in the original. Which means they could potentially change the game for good.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I get that people don't like Part 2 for various reasons but comments like this are so stupid.

I think the reason for a Remake is due to the TV show, I can't see why they would remake it otherwise... the Remaster was fine.
You don't think that there's a high chance the story will change, for whatever reason?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Only thing I want from TLOU Part 1 on the PS5 are the multiplayer stage remakes for the fractions multiplayer.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Why?
Confused Liam Neeson GIF
Maybe they gonna redo it, for example the scene when Joel & Ellie see the dude asking for help.
Instead of Joel saying not to trust anyone and running him over, he gets out the car & shakes the dudes hand, tells him his & Ellie's name, where they're from, how many there is and what supplies they have, etc

Makes it more consistent with TLOU2 you see 🤔

Last edited:
Why?
Confused Liam Neeson GIF
Well, if you look at the original and the huge upgrade the second one is, I can only imagine what an upgrade would be playing it on a PS5.

I don't know why people think its going to look like TLOU II, that's a PS4 game. If they in fact do a remake it must be using all the power a PS5 can offer.

Shmunter

The only reason to remake TLOU would be to hone new next gen specific tech. No need for new gameplay and narrative, pure tech development.

TLOU was the vehicle for moving from ps3’s cell to PS4 jags last time also. The learnings informed subsequent engine and games.

Fake

The only reason to remake TLOU would be to hone new next gen specific tech. No need for new gameplay and narrative, pure tech development.

TLOU was the vehicle for moving from ps3’s cell to PS4 jags last time also. The learnings informed subsequent engine and games.

To be honest, there is a possibility of happen some changes on the first game. This was already debated by many gaming sites. Even to follow the TLOUS HBO series.

Nothing is confirmed, but can't be descarted. BTW, TLOUS2 still missing the multiplayer and the PS5 version.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Why?
Confused Liam Neeson GIF

? Because its one of the best selling games by the publisher and about to be 10 years since its release.

Some of you don't really understand that PS3 is about to be as old as PS4 was when that Shadow Of The Colossus remake came out....do you guys really not understand we are talking about several generations difference or?

Shit a better question would be what the fuck would they gain NOT remaking it?

So even a 13 year difference between SoTC and the remake doesn't change that the PS2 was 18 year old hardware by the time that remake came out.

If the remake comes out near the anniversary, it will be a difference of 17 years in regards to the hardware difference since PS3's release.

Sooooo from PS2 to PS4 is no different then from

PS3 to PS5....

I don't get how you guys don't get or understand that. Who the fuck is this remake hurting anyway?

WorldHero

I'd imagine the multiplayer/factions comes with the remake along with a 60 fps patch for the TLOU2. Unless they decide to totally remaster the PS5 version of TLOU2 and sell it separately.

Why?
Confused Liam Neeson GIF
Because a group of support team developers wanted to prove to Sony they can create games. Sony gaved them a limited budget. They wanted prove their worth with a cost effective remake of TLoU. Head of WWS wasnt impressed. Ordered a group of Naughty Dog developers to lead the development.

It will probably be bundled with next-gen factions for 70$

Top Bottom