• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that made you believe it was the best game you ever played right after?

NES - SMB 3 and TMNT II: Arcade
SNES - Zelda: ALTTP
GEN - Sonic the Hedgehog 2
N64 - Zelda OOT and F-Zero X
NGC - Metroid Prime, Zelda: TWW and Baten Kaitos
PS 2 - God of War II
Wii - Super Metroid (wish i owned it on snes back then)
X360 - Lost Oddyssey
Switch - Zelda: BOTW and Metroid Dread

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Quake 2. Online. Mods. Skins. Map packs. Accelerated 3D graphics.
It was like the future of gaming just appeared almost fully formed (except without the monetization)
Half-life - that opening and then when the soldiers first show up and they are 'communicating' and using tactics.

Last edited:
So many games to list...but KOTOR, Chrono Trigger, OG Mass Effect, and Metal Gear Solid all made me sit the controller down afterwards like yo.....this is it lol.

Most recently though was probably Half Life Alyx on VR and Katana Zero....Those two games were the absolute truth to me and I was mad as hell when they were done, I wanted them to just keep on going

Brigandier

Shenmue 1, Shenmue 2, FF7, FFX, MGS1-3, Xenogears, Xenoblade 1 and 2, Broken Sword, Uncharted 2, Fallout 3, Skies of Arcadia.

The love I have for the above it's impossible to choose as my opinion changes everyday but after every game listed I was sad it was over a very intense feeling only a gamer will understand.

Dr Bass

I think there are many games but Final Fantasy VI blew my mind back in the day. The nearly 30 minute long ending wrapped things up in a way I had never experienced before. The graphics, music, characters. It all felt like a revelation.

What an experience.

Knightime_X

Just a few off the top of my head

Resident Evil 4
Super Metroid
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Final Fantasy 6
Metal Gear Rising
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Castlevania 4
Legend of Zelda A link to the Past
Zelda OOT
Doom 2
DOOM 2016
Shinobi 3
Castlevania 3
Final Fantasy 7
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil Remake
Metroid Prime
Chrono Trigger
FInal Fantasy Tactics

Shakka43

TLoU, and still is for me. Before TLoU I got that feeling with RE4 > GTA VC > Resident Evil 3 > Killer Instinct.

EDMIX

Metal Gear Solid 3
The Last Of Us 2
God Of War 1
God Of War 2018
Ico
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy VI
Fallout 3
DMC3

Last edited:

Garibaldi

I remember I'd not long had my pc when WoW first released. I think I was about 6 weeks or so behind the release and I picked a generic human Paladin.

When I first got to Goldshire, all the people running about handing in quests, dancing, dueling. Then this god (lvl 60) came past on his horse. I honestly never thought I'd play a better game ever again. Plus he was a paladin!

The world only got better after that too. First time I went to Stormwind was epic, but weirdly it was Westfall that really set me off. This game was going to be massive!

I remember doing a PvP flagged run up through the barrens too with a bunch of my guildmates. Hiding from the horde players cos we were so low level. Proper sweaty moments. It was great!

Then to top it off, the entrance to Blackrock Depths. Going down the chains above the lava. Jesus wept that was sooo good for just to get to the dungeon.

Nowt really has ever beaten that, even though I fell off wow probably a decade ago now.

So good.gif

In modern times, my favourite is probably Witcher 3. Again, the world I just got lost in. I played through it and all the expansions in about a month. Saw everything. Great game.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I'd have to say Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (PSP). Now, going back to it, that framerate is pretty harsh, but the updated presentation and dialogue just made (and still makes) it the very best story in a video game I've ever experienced, with gameplay that begged you to invest your full attention into it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Personal list:

Age of Empires 2
Stronghold Crusader
Commandos 2
The Last of Us
The Last of Us Part II
Godfather
GTA San Andreas
God of War (2018)
Red Dead Redemption 2

So many. What a time to be a gamer.

CRAIG667

Super Mario Land 2
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Theme Park
GoldenEye 64
Zelda ocarina of time
Doom 3
Halo
Halo 3
Gears of War 2
Bioshock
The Last of Us
Dead Space
FallOut 3
Borderlands 2

Ceadeus

Earthbound on Snes.

Castlevania Symphony of the night on PlayStation.

Ninja Gaiden on Xbox.

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen on 360.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Metal Gear Survive. It was basically the survival game of my dreams.

Edit: I swear to God I'm not trolling.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Pretty much every Mario platformer every generation, ending on Super Mario 64. From there:

Goldeneye
DOOM
Resident Evil 4

Honorable Mention: Ocarina of Time

Super Mario World, Mario 64, Half-Life, Baldur's Gate, Half-Life 2.

Then I got stuck with Half-Life 2.

I only truly appreciated the genius of MGS when I replayed it on the PS3 and played MGS2, but it's a strong runner up. Zelda BoTW and Dark Souls are contenders as well.

I haven't finished Elden Ring yet but it seems to be up there too.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Probably OG Resident Evil 96 & Ocarina of Time.

Both were just absolutely mind blowing for completely different reasons. Both games also manage to maintain the sense of awe I had with them as a kid.

For modern stuff, Elden Ring is probably the best coop experience I've ever had. Not including things like Mario Kart couch parties, etc. But with playing online, talking over party chat, etc. It's simply amazing. I never played much online coop before so the coop in ER is insanely fresh to me.

MiguelItUp

Man, over the years for me its been...
(No particular order)

Wolfenstein 3-D
DOOM
Quake 2
Mario 64
Street Fighter 2
Resident Evil
Silent Hill 2
Dead Space
Skyrim
The Last of Us
Bioshock
Metal Gear Solid
Counter-Strike 1.4-1.6
Red Dead Redemption
Team Fortress 2
Unreal Tournament 2004
Battlefield 1942/Vietnam/2

Lord knows there's more...

Sophist

Pokemon red/blue. My school banished Game Boy because of that game.
Mario 64. Probably the 3d game that influenced video gaming the most.
Half-Life.

Top Bottom