• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that were harder to appreciate when you younger

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You can also say: games that I didn't like as a kid but as I grew older (and wiser), I learned how to appreciate it more, and even like it a lot.

Basically what games do you think are better appreciated now for you?

For me, these are the games that I appreciate a lot more nowadays:

1. Shin Megami Tensei III - I was young when I played this game. I really didn't like it because I thought the game was boring, bleak, and no characters to interact to. Fast forward to present and I highly appreciate this game now. I liked the Press Turn system (a simple but very effective strategy), I learned how to appreciate the bleak but abstract environment, and I found the story interesting (it would probably be boring for me when I was a kid).

2. Vagrant Story - I tried this game when I was younger, I found it very difficult (way too many mechanics) and incredibly bland and I stopped at the Town Centre. Fast forward to the present and I gave this game a shot again and I liked it, though I did use a guide because I had a hard time. I found the game satisfying when defeating enemies because planning is very important. I also doubt I'd appreciate the story when I was a kid.

3. Final Fantasy XII - Again another game I had a hard time appreciate because of it's bland looking environments. I did finish it a few years after its release but still didn't like it. The only time I started appreciating the game was with the TZA release, maybe it's because the improved speed and the job system that made me like it a lot.

Diomedes

FFVIII. Was my first OG PS1 game and the mechanics were just too much. Auto-junctioned and powerleveled myself to 100 thinking that would make fights easier/smoother and it did the opposite. Had to use a hardcopy guide to finish and didn't appreciate any of the story nuances, just clicked through all the text as fast as I could to get to the fighty bits again.
Going back to it as an adult and taking the time to know/abuse the broken mechanics made for a more relaxing experience where I could take the time to abosrb the crazy story in it glory. Still one of my favourite games.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Strategy games like Warcraft and AoE.

As a kid I loved these games, but I was't smart enough to fully understand them. Now I can actually play them strategically.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Flashback probably, I didn't even know how to pick up items :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Most examples are from the Amiga gen because I just didn't have the manual for the games and it never explained things explicitly in-game so I just had to drop them.

Sometimes I would ask my dad what I needed to do and he would have this worried look on his face like "oh god I don't know son, this is more your wheelhouse" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

He was great at explaining stuff like what a geologist was in The Settlers so he still helped with the important knowledge and I learned how to suss out controls and gameplay myself.

xrnzaaas

For me it would be most 90s/early 2000s RPG's I've played. I especially didn't appreciate games like Planescape Torment when they originally launched because of the focus on text descriptions, dialogues and some mature themes.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
SRPGs, when I was young I found them totally boring but as I got older I start enjoy them more than most action games.

Guilty_AI

Could never imagine myself completing a turn based RPG campaign in the past, or spending dozens to hundreds of hours reading a visual novel.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
2323c2d35abfdad6d8b2ac87eefead9f.jpg
3toKqBz.png

(I’m sorry)

Adventure games like Myst were impossible to appreciate when I was young and didn’t have a grasp of English.

Top Bottom