• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that you played at the right time

fart town usa

Gold Member
Xenoblade Chronicles X last winter. Obviously the game had been out for years but I didn't know anything about it.

I actually gave myself my own personal hype train. A few weeks before buying the game, I started watching those Nintendo videos that were being released every few months prior to the game's launch. It was really cool seeing all the hype videos, it was getting me really hyped.

Bought an external harddrive and downloaded the game during Christmas vacation 2020. It was so much fun once I was actually able to play the game and those hype videos did a good job of getting me familiar with certain mechanics. I still play it a few hours each month, the game is massive but it's fun to have such a giant game to chip away at.

Bridges

Death Stranding this year. Kojima is a visionary, it came out just before the pandemic and the themes of that game are eerily relevant to what we are living in.

Came here to say this. Finished it on January 31st of 2020, only a short while later did we see many of its ideas eerily become reality.

And then not too long after in March the lockdowns took effect, gave me more than enough time to do a deep dive into Yakuza 0.

Kuranghi

Diablo 3, I had never played a Diablo-like game and I was just obsessed for years, every patch was exciting. I don't really feel that passion for 4 tho, I'm excited but I bet it will be a let down tbh.

ZombiU.

Ubisoft is one of my least favorite developers, survival horror at the time was pretty much dead, RE6 was absolute trash. I had a Wii U preordered but wasn't sure why I wanted one. Didn't know much of anything about ZombiU, other than the developers were saying it was a return to true old school survival horror.

Man, playing that game was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Just getting baked in my apartment and playing it in the dark. It was incredible, just such a breath of fresh air and was everything I wanted but didn't know. The Miiverse aspect was so much fun, people posting screenshots and all the comments and drawings. Such an awesome time, wish I could go back and relive it.
As an owner of the ZombiU Wii U bundle, this reply reminds me why I love that game so much. It has a lot of heart put into it. I wish ZombiU 2 was made, but ya know...the Ubisoft CEO was an ass about that and had it cancelled.

Vangellis

Ultima online at launch. Holy shit this game was insane and I've never played anything that made me feel like this game did. Persistent world, no rules, new genre on a dial-up modem. Felt like a huge social experiment, was scary shit and loved every minute of it. With very little law and anonymity the world falls into tribes of thieves, killers, scammers. Lucky justice warriors arise to protect, was really interesting.

Hal.

On the flip side, I massively regret not playing Halo 1-3, especially 3, when they were new.

I remember the hype for 3 being insane.

Also missed out on Gears in its prime.

Essentially, those early-gen years when Live was like the wild west and before party chat. Warhawk and Killzone 2 were fun enough on PS3, but without the packed in headset hardly anyone talked.

Raven117

Gold Member
I played Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, and FFVI at about 12, 13, and 14 (give or take a year, respectively..on their release give or take).

It was absolutely magical....You could say that the only reason I continue to pick up a controller is to capture that feeling again.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I played Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, and FFVI at about 12, 13, and 14 (give or take a year, respectively).

It was absolutely magical....You could say that the only reason I continue to pick up a controller is to capture that feeling again.
I was a similar age, probably 10. Man, FF3 (6) was so awesome!! Kefka poisoning everyone in town and the audio for his laugh.... Even with the pixel art, the story and visuals made everything seem so epic. Such an awesome game.

Raven117

Gold Member
I was a similar age, probably 10. Man, FF3 (6) was so awesome!! Kefka poisoning everyone in town and the audio for his laugh.... Even with the pixel art, the story and visuals made everything seem so epic. Such an awesome game.
Exactly. At that age where imagination of adventure is at its zeinth...it all felt so huge...so serious...EPIC!

fart town usa

Gold Member
On the flip side, I massively regret not playing Halo 1-3, especially 3, when they were new.

I remember the hype for 3 being insane.

Also missed out on Gears in its prime.

Essentially, those early-gen years when Live was like the wild west and before party chat. Warhawk and Killzone 2 were fun enough on PS3, but without the packed in headset hardly anyone talked.
Gears 1 was really cool and was pretty mind blowing. My buddy and I played it co-op when it first released. I'll be honest though, both of us were really bummed at how short it was. Seemed like we beat that game in 4-5 hours. Played through it in one sitting.

Old Retro

Lakers VS Celtics, Bulls VS Blazers, all the EA NBA games of the early/mid 90s. I went to a bunch of NBA games back then and saw most of the dream team. It was a complete match made in heaven.

Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare when our US military was still fighting wars overseas. I worked with a few combat veterans after that and had friends of friends who were deployed. Fucking surreal to think about it now. OG MW was the one that got me hooked on the FPS genre.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker on GC. Perfect time as I was introduced to Ocarina of time in the year 2000. I had played through Ocarina of time twice and decided to buy a GameCube. The GameCube I purchased had a copy of Wind Walker included. Very different look but an amazing experience.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Star Fox.
Just a year and a half later it’d look prehistoric compared to what we’d see on the new 32-bit consoles, but it was pretty special in 1993.

Secret of Mana. Pretty crummy gameplay in retrospect, but boy was it incredible when it came out.

Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast. This one was still otherworldly in 2002 when I first played it. SC2 was better in almost everything, but SC1 just shattered any expectation I could have.

World of Warcraft and Lead and Gold. LaG is such a great game with excellent graphics for it's time, but it died to cheaters and playerbase. First months were great though.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Warhammer Chaosbane.

I must have played this at the right time because I actually enjoyed it. Went back to play at was wondering how I actually liked this? It's bad.

GladiusFrog

Ultima Online - Pre Age of Shadows Expansion.

Incredible sandbox MMO, You could be everything from a humble shop owner to a soldier in a massive guild waging wars against rival guilds.
No loading screens, highly emergent story telling, Nice Pixel Art, Awesome Midi music. (Stones Still brings a tear to my eye)

Game is just a zombie now. :messenger_pensive:

Battlefield 1942

Greatest Battlefield EVER.
Ventrilo - lol
Hacking was rare.
One of the greatest Modding communities of its time..... Eve of Destruction, Dessert Combat, Forgotten Hope. All Incredible.
Epic & Emergent gameplay.
First time joining a clan and playing against other clans Via C.A.L. (Cyberathlete Amateur League)

I really wish this one would get a faithful remaster... and I hate how the mudding community got abandoned in the later games. :messenger_crying:

Last edited:

Zug

Most online games and especially MMORPGs fall in this category.
Had the opportunity to play Everquest in 99-2000, and World of Warcraft in 2004-2005, it was quite something.

Temporality has little effect on great offline games.

BigLee74

Dead Space, in the afternoon, when it was still light outside and the family were kicking about that house.

Buki1

Like all Playstation 1 games. They run and look like shit, but we didn't know better back then. They got old pretty nasty, you will never enjoy them now same way as kids that were playing them on release day.

Yumi

Honestly, just starting on NES as a kid and getting to where we are now. It’s a broad response, but seeing the giant leaps in graphics and technology has been something else. Especially SNES to N64. So I guess I’d same Super Mario 64, cause it was mind blowing.

I’d also say Diablo 2, in a different way, I had friends who had the game and online multiplayer was still pretty new. So learning everything about that game and doing Mephisto and Cow level runs for gear was a whole new ball game.

i know something i played at the WRONG time. Super Mario 64.
i owned a 64 in the 90s. I grew up on Super Mario on NES. but for whatever reason i never bothered to get Mario 64 back then.

I ended up playing it for first time maybe 5 years ago. And thought it was terrible

Poordevil

World of Warcraft shortly after launch. My first ever MMO and a truly stunning / revolutionary gaming experience. You had to be there to truly grasp the phenomenon that game was.

Kaachan

Final Fantasy VII

I played it together with my long time best friend at the time in my old apartment when life was a complete mess. Playing that game was just the best gaming experience I've ever had for many reasons including that it is simply just one of the best games I've ever played.

I ended up getting together with that guy after our play through and I've never been happier. Truly a game that came in the right time of my life and changed it.

Top Bottom