• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games to play with young kids

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Great game with many people and cheap. More the better. I think it maxes out at 4 people. My bro's kids loved it. Later on it takes some skill to jump and cling, but at some point with enough trial and error you'll clear the level - even if you die 40 times.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Super Mario Odyssey
Minecraft
Mario Kart

Those are the most popular ones for my 5yo. He has played through Odyssey multiple times, definitely one of his favorite games.
Minecraft is fantastic too, it’s amazing how creative kids can be with that game, I showed some basic red stone stuff and he’s now building huge flashing signs.

I always hear the Lego games recommended.
Yup kids love them, but it's a chore to play those games for an adult

My recommendations:
Astro Playroom (but you have to take turns, which is sad)
Sonic All Star Racing Transformed (old, but it's on steam)
Any of the Overcooked games
Unravel / Unravel 2

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yup kids love them, but it's a chore to play those games for an adult

My recommendations:
Astro Playroom (but you have to take turns, which is sad)
Sonic All Star Racing Transformed (old, but it's on steam)
Any of the Overcooked games
Unravel / Unravel 2
Overcooked is an awesome game. My nieces/nephs loved Overcooked 2. They werent even that great at it. They just liked cooking and running around like crazy people goofing around.

These kinds of games should be dirt cheap or even in PS Now and GP subs already.

Unpacking should be good as it's very easy to play and has cute visuals, especially if you have Game Pass. My Time At Portia might be worth looking at too. Those are both single player though.

1635870005640-ss9b358510285a4b70e446237de5996bc434415c011920x1080.jpeg
my-time-at-portia-n.jpg

These kinds of games should be dirt cheap or even in PS Now and GP subs already.
Games in the digital world tend to keep their prices, which is unfortunately not surprising.

PSNow and GamePass are the most worthless services for young kids who tend to play very few games for long periods of times (My kids play only these games, with some lego games, that I all got on the cheap over the years)... Spending 20$ a month for years on end to replay the same games makes zero sense, that's true if your kid play Minecraft too, you are better off paying for the game.

Maybe teenagers, even then if one falls on a long openworld game for a while or tend to return to the same title from time to time the equation makes no sense (nobody plays 200 to 800 games at any given time)... if they don't play that much, then why would they get such a service?

If you are old and hardcore it's your money and you know how you go about playing, but if you have a library of solid titles such a service makes no sense.

Oldish AAA titles tend to go cheaper than indies after a few months for some reason.

Last edited:

Tuff McNutt

My 4 year old likes retro games, especially Pac-Man. I have some of those mini cabinets like from New Wave Toys and some bartops/Arcade1ups and he likes playing on those more than on PS4. When we go to Gameworks, he likes the huge Pac-Man and Space Invaders games, and Star Wars pinball.

If you are getting the Lego games, they are on sale on PSN a lot. I haven't paid more than $5-6 for any of them. I would probably recommend Lego City Undercover because you can just drive/explore the city and Lego Worlds because you can just build whatever you want. The objectives/platforming in the "mainline" Lego games can be tough for smaller kids.

Last edited:
Pwn your kids in Sackboy so you can get all the multiplayer trophies for the platinum. Yoshi and Kirby are always safe bets with real young kids.

tommib

I play Sackboy with my 5 year old nephew every Sunday night and he absolutely loves it. Super creative levels and the music is spectacular.

Schmick

I once tried had my two controllers set to co-pilot. I played FH4 with my 4 year old son. I controlled throttle and brake with my controller and he controlled the steering with his. He loved it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Games in the digital world tend to keep their prices, which is unfortunately not surprising.

PSNow and GamePass are the most worthless services for young kids who tend to play very few games for long periods of times (My kids play only these games, with some lego games, that I all got on the cheap over the years)... Spending 20$ a month for years on end to replay the same games makes zero sense, that's true if your kid play Minecraft too, you are better off paying for the game.

Maybe teenagers, even then if one falls on a long openworld game for a while or tend to return to the same title from time to time the equation makes no sense (nobody plays 200 to 800 games at any given time)... if they don't play that much, then why would they get such a service?

If you are old and hardcore it's your money and you know how you go about playing, but if you have a library of solid titles such a service makes no sense.

Oldish AAA titles tend to go cheaper than indies after a few months for some reason.
I'm not saying go buy a game sub for 5 year olds.

Simply if someone already has a game sub, take a skim to see if there's any kids games on there first before spending more money to buy that game.

Last edited:

Fighting games or anything they can win button bashing.

Coop games you can help in like Mario 3d world and bros U.

There are not enough easy games for kids that don't frustrate them.

I've got two nieces, ages 11 and 5.

op Listen to me...Mario Kart and Just Dance(Get the wrist bracelet thing for like 8-12 bucks off Amazon too) is all you need. I got them both Nintendo Switches last Xmas and my brother says once they turn it on they fall in love all over again lol.

I'm not saying go buy a game sub for 5 year olds.

Simply if someone already has a game sub, take a skim to see if there's any kids games on there first before spending more money to buy that game.
Yes, obviously, same as if someone has a library that they built over the years. I got some Steam games years before I played them (because of when Humble Bundles were cool),.. This is the case for the Sonic racing game by example.

GeekyDad

My wife and I used to play the Dino Island games with our youngest. He loved those games, and is still nostalgic for them. I believe you can still get them on Steam.

jigglet

Banned
Breath of the Wild.

I bought it for my niece and nephew thinking even if they can't play it properly, they'll enjoy just running around swinging the sword. I was right. They absolutely loved just mucking around in the over world. Fantastic game for really young kids.

Top Bottom