• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with the most cringe dialogue

peronmls

ulEW2jz.jpg
Out of all dialog the 13 series has to offer you pick this one? What about when Lighting would talk to her Chocobo?

fart town usa

Gold Member
People saying RE 1996 are out of their damn minds. RE 1996 has a poor translation, no vocal direction, and is campy. (not cringe)

Cringe is stuff like RE6, FFXIII, Wolfenstein: TNO, The Medium, etc. Stuff that takes itself way too serious.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
This is so hard to answer, because so many games have very cringe-inducing dialogue. I love Kingdom Hearts, but I sometimes feel embarrassed by the cutscenes. I really liked the first Life is Strange, but ouch, that dialogue. It did have me saying "hella" for a while.

I concur with the JRPG comments, lots of Japanese games have real silly dialogue. The Yakuza dialogue particularly pains me, whether it's a serious cinematic, or a goofy chat with one of the hostess girls. Yakuza cutscenes are always certain to make me cringe, dunno what the appeal is in those stories.
The worst dialogue I can think of would either be Borderlands 2, or Genshin Impact. In both games I actually muted the voice acting and decided to ignore the dialogue, but unfortunately Borderlands 2 has lots of moments where you're stuck waiting for dialogue to end, and Genshin Impact doesn't have any way to skip non-cinematic cutscenes (voice acting with text boxes), so I'm just mashing the continue button (which actually takes ages, because those cutscenes are also way too long).

Most of them.

I could spend the entire day posting shit like this but you get it.
I mean come on. Those are video-games. The writers aren't Shakespeare or Mary Shelley.

Nico_D

Most of the story driven games have a lot of bad and unnecessary expositionary dialogue telling who you are, who I am and how the world works.

Instead of showing us.

nkarafo

Just about every game really except maybe Starfox 64 and Portal. I can't stand voice acting in video games.

mcjmetroid

I'm sure everyone who's already played Need for Speed Unbound will immediately say they've hit a new level of cringe and sadness with the dialogue. It's so bad and laughable it's as if it's from a mid 2000s game and even if it was it would still be bad for those times, it's that horrific.

Which makes me wonder, what other games have reached insane lows with dialogue over the years?
It's funny I was going to say games like Need for Speed underground for the cringiest dialogue ever.

Is it worse than back in the day?

buenoblue

Definitely not the worst but I'm playing Horizon Forbidden West at the minute and the dialogue is bad. The tone of Alloys sas just doesn't fit the epic scifi nature of the game.

Kupfer

Horizon Forbidden West

I just can't take anything or anyone in this game seriously, the conversations are so stupid and overly wannebe emotional. No one talks like that.

Exoil

The Dark Pictures: Little Hope was a pretty good game, but oh my the dialogue in the game. Angela, Taylor and the professor had such crap dialogue I tried to kill them off the first chance I got.

Holammer

Not sure it's cringe but when I first heard this it sounded like the VAs were using one of those old P.C. kit mics while recording in a small bathroom.

I give you...Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (only 44-seconds of your time and worth it)

That's in the 'So bad it's good' category, people may be blinded by nostalgia, but it's iconic now.

The PSP version had improved dialogue that actually reflects the Japanese original better. Still takes *lots* of liberties with the source material.

Fan translation and Japanese audio

I love Forza Horizon, but 4 and 5 were awful when it came to dialogue. I had to mute it whenever I was playing through the side stories.

JRPGs are like the Nigerian films of video games. Over acted and in your face dialogue. Playing FF7 remake I’m like “this is the legendary game story everyone bragged about?”

Kilau

Gold Member
That's in the 'So bad it's good' category, people may be blinded by nostalgia, but it's iconic now.

The PSP version had improved dialogue that actually reflects the Japanese original better. Still takes *lots* of liberties with the source material.

Fan translation and Japanese audio

Yeah it’s awesome and gave us this gem from discord.

Top Bottom