• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games without real time combat are deal breaker for me.... you?

How do you prefer your combat?

• Real time

• Turn based

• Why not both?

Results are only viewable after voting.

lyan

FF12 is me, there needs to be an evolution of it.
13 is the evolved version If you think of each paradigm role as a preconfigured gambit tree, they just didn't explore deeper in that regard while also suffered with pacing problems.

intbal

Find a game with better combat than God of War yeah it’s impossible.

Done.
Anything else?

f1fRIbA.jpg
gOfKHxh.jpg

Belthazar

I prefer turn based but I won't stop playing a game because it's action heavy. Dragon Quest and Persona are my favorite series, but I also love Tales Of and Star Ocean.

Last edited:

Fbh

Both are fine and really enjoyable when done right. To me variety is key, I wouldn't want every game having the same gameplay style

Shubh_C63

All the real time voters, remind yourself that Persona 5 exists.

It really depends on the developer. I am not in love with turn based but goddamn I have played XCOM:EW to death.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Turn based for me isn't that fun unless they include a mechanic to keep it entertaining. Deltarune and Undertale (which don't get enough recognition on this forum) did this perfectly with how it's turn based but there's bullet hell elements inserted in the gameplay to keep it from being a snorefest. Alot of those game's bosses (Sans, Undyne, Spamton NEO, Dark King, omega flowey, list goes on) especially took advantage of these mechanics to make all of them standout and very fun to replay. There's also Paper Mario, South Park stick of truth and bug fables, all of which include gameplay and timing elements to keep the combat from being boring as well as all having badge/perk systems with tons of badges to keep the game replayable and expirimental with each playthrough
Although real time combat isn't that good either. most JRPGs with realtime don't have the gameplay complexity of something like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta to really be that entertaining. there's some outliers like nier automata and the tales franchise, but most of them aren't that well implemented or fun to me. if you want to go the real time route, make the combos actually really fucking fun to do and not just slow awkward and sluggish

Gandih42

I'd say turn-based combat these days is equally as diverse and varied as real-time combat. Adding to that, hybrids also exist in numerous forms. Personally I could never give up on for the other, they each offer completely different experiences and possibilities.

GymWolf

Perfectly ok with turn based, still better than having some weird hybrid that does both aspects wrong with mongoloid companion IA to nurse.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Depends on how things are implemented. Can go both ways for both designs.
I´d not generally say I dislike either.

I'm almost exclusively action based real time combat, but I don't have anything specific against turn based these days. When I was younger I didn't like them, but these days I wouldn't mind trying them

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Turn based for me isn't that fun unless they include a mechanic to keep it entertaining. Deltarune and Undertale (which don't get enough recognition on this forum) did this perfectly with how it's turn based but there's bullet hell elements inserted in the gameplay to keep it from being a snorefest. Alot of those game's bosses (Sans, Undyne, Spamton NEO, Dark King, omega flowey, list goes on) especially took advantage of these mechanics to make all of them standout and very fun to replay. There's also Paper Mario, South Park stick of truth and bug fables, all of which include gameplay and timing elements to keep the combat from being boring as well as all having badge/perk systems with tons of badges to keep the game replayable and expirimental with each playthrough
Although real time combat isn't that good either. most JRPGs with realtime don't have the gameplay complexity of something like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta to really be that entertaining. there's some outliers like nier automata and the tales franchise, but most of them aren't that well implemented or fun to me. if you want to go the real time route, make the combos actually really fucking fun to do and not just slow awkward and sluggish
About that last part: Dragon's Dogma came to me as the best combat system in any ARPG, ever. It feels really good, and not some half assed solution.

I also agree with the first part of your post. Turn based combat is nice unless it ends up beign "just spam your strongest attack dude". That's what got me in love with the SMT games, as you can't rush a single fight in those games.

Other pretty cool turn based systems could be that of the Grandia games, or those games in which you juggle your enemies in the air, like Valkyrie Profile or the Mugen no Frontier ones.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I like good games no matter how they reach that goal. I know good and bad games on both sides of this aisle.

Last edited:
There are too many games out there that have done turn-based combat wrong, that it's easily understandable why the genre has mostly moved to mobile platforms. Here's a list of flaws of what most turn-based combat game developers usually don't consider on the user side of things:

1) Taking forever during combat(this is the biggest offense). In old school NES Final Fantasy, after you've selected to cast a spell or do an attack, it lasted up to 5 seconds long at most. Most other usual attacks were 1-3 seconds long. It was very quick, like snap a finger and a move happened type of quick.
Final_Fantasy_III_(NES)_04.gif

This snappy animation gave you almost instant results as to what damage was done once the action started happening. Once the fight was over you had a 2 second celebration animation and you moved on. SNES-era and onwards, Square and other devs started adding more and more animations to everything, and then adding 'fight begins' animation, 'fight ending' animations, 'flashy attack' animations, and 'charge up' animations on top of that. Then you have the games that add a 'spin the wheel' mechanic or something else, while fun in the first few hours, just ends up being more of a time waster overall.
CircularMediocreHapuka-max-1mb.gif

final-fantasy-victory-final-fantasy7.gif

10-bZWE6To.gif

Keep in mind I'm not saying these games are all bad. I'm simply stating that they don't respect the user's time enough. While this doesn't seem like a lot at first, you start to add up how many times you're going to see these same animations repeated throughout the game and also the time being wasted on every single character animation, and you end up with fights that have lasted 5 minutes or more when 9 times out of 10 you already knew you were most likely going to win the fight anyway. And that brings me to my next point:

2) The difficulty of most turn based games became too easy. Yes, I know that games like SMT, X-com, and Darkest Dungeon exist, but for every one of those games we get about 5 to 10 JRPGS that just feel like cruise control. There are games so bad about it that you feel like you can just sit the controller down and just let things ride out with the A.I. Thank goodness a fast forward button has been popping up in turn-based RPGS in recent years. While some games out there add cool mechanics, what does it matter when the fight is essentially over before it began? When it doesn't challenge your mind? All you're left with at that point is mashing a button on the same menu options repeatedly. Most turn based RPGs used to feel like chess against a high level player or at worse Checkers. Now most turn based RPGs feel like Tic-Tac-Toe or Connect 4, giving you just enough of that dopamine to feel smart and good, making sure you don't think too long or hard about anything, including the quality of the game itself like the story. That brings me to my next point:

3) Storytelling quality fell down a cliff. There are a lot of factors at play here. Most of the creative minds out there have moved on to other genres, and then you add the massive influence of slice of life anime and other things prevalent in Japanese culture that are another topic entirely, and we've ended up where we are today, where some turn based games just don't have a decent story at all. They'll trade all good plot and scenario writing for half-assed character writing, where for some reason I need to know a side character's favorite ice cream flavor and what their favorite music playlist contains. Persona games ride that fine line but the key difference is that they at least have better writers who can approach the serious stuff just as well as the slice of life side. For some reason, there's a big enough subset of people out there who love this stuff so devs keep feeding into it to get easy enough money.

(I know this isn't a turn based JRPG but this youtube thumbnail and the present dialogue are what I'm talking about)
maxresdefault.jpg

I'm not saying yesteryear turn-based RPG writing was master class or anything, but you could feel the passion they had to try and tell a deep story with cool twists and potential life lessons included.
WMtK7bC.png

On a side note regarding this, voice acting(when it's just two still images talking to each other) also slows down the story pacing a ton and ends up going to my 1st point again.

I've learned to be thankful for the few devs out there still working hard to bring high budget turn-based games to the public. Turn based RPGs and especially JRPGs have needed a shakeup for years, but unfortunately the audience is perfectly fine with the genre becoming just as niche as current day MMOs(That aren't WoW, ESO, and FFXIV). Sorry for the wall of text but I used to love this genre and it used to be the king of genres during a certain moment of time(I'd say 1990 to around 2006). The people who said 'turn based can go away now that the tech has caught up' just never understood that it was never about the tech.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I'm fine with turn based combat, as long as it's not random.

Those games where you walk around a map and you randomly get interrupted by an invisible enemy group after a few steps... I can't stand those.

kunonabi

I've yet to find a real time system I like. I mean I play rpgs specifically to get away from real time systems to begin with. Especially in big party focused rpgs where I want to have control over all the cool characters, classes, and skills.

ZoukGalaxy

My last turn based game was... BREATH OF FIRE 2 on SNES back in the 90s, borrowed from a friend: I finished it but I was so traumatized I never played again a turned bases RPG game since.
BTW the OST is EPIC until this day 💖
andrew w k pain GIF
Lethal Weapon Fuck This Shit GIF
Sad Chis Sweet Home GIF

SeraphJan

Some games are better with turn based.

For example Heroes of Might and Magic is going to be awkward if it had hack and slash combat

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Turn based is good for people with issues or have strategic mindset in gaming. Real time combat is skill-based.

I don't play any turn-based games, that's why I skipped the latest Yakuza game after it was so enjoyable in the previous entries.

Sentenza

There's plenty of bad turn-based combat around, sure, as there's plenty of bad action combat...
But if you are someone who dislikes GOOD turn-based combat, you're rotten garbage that should be set aflame and kicked down a precipice, in my humble opinion.

And if you think "turn-based is an obsolete design choice that exists only because technical limits from the past" you technically qualify as a bona fide retarded.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I was that way as a kid, thinking, "Who are these people who like playing menus??", but as an adult, I've found myself craving more tactical, more measured, more risk-and-reward combat strategy in a good turn-based combat game. And frankly, I get bored of button-mashing or clicky-clicking. Auto-battles and turn-based combat, where I can see the possibilities like a chess match and can try things out for maximal impact (...or can see at a glance that I'm fucked and need to retreat or make some sacrifices to save my skin,) that has increasingly appealed to me these days. The modern Action-RPG, where they just give enemies 100x the hitpoints and don't add many of the attack patterns or hand-placed enemy locations of "real" action games, those games aren't better because they combine two genres, they just take longer to play that they need to for the amount of combat fun that's inherently in the game.

I think it's a shame that we may never see a traditional Final Fantasy turn-based or ATB game again...

GX1BVHN.jpg

Last edited:

Keihart

Perfectly ok with turn based, still better than having some weird hybrid that does both aspects wrong with mongoloid companion IA to nurse.
There some very cool hybrids but i guess there are very few devs interested into experimenting with it anymore.
I really like Tri-Ace attempts at it, Valkyrie Profile 2 and Resonance of Fate combat systems felt pretty unique and had lot of potential if iterated upon.

Keihart

Turn based is good for people with issues or have strategic mindset in gaming. Real time combat is skill-based.

I don't play any turn-based games, that's why I skipped the latest Yakuza game after it was so enjoyable in the previous entries.
Yes, Yakuza combat is very skill based, totally.

On a serious note, strategy and mechanical are both types of skills, there is also luck as a skill set, believe or not. Calling mechanical skill , just skill, is selling games short.
Most game mechanics balance these 3 types of skills to create a specific type of challenge.

kunonabi

Except real time systems never are. They're ways just mindless hack and slashes or mmo combat. If anything developers always dumb that shit down to make it as "accessible" as possible.

UncleMeat

I'd never played a turn based game before the South Park games but I really enjoyed it there and it opened me up to the possibility of playing more if it's a cool game.

I still haven't actually played any others but you know...I'm open to it.

Pejo

I'll tell you one thing I wish S-E would grow out of, and that's "break bars". Hasn't been fun since FFXIII but they still keep putting that shit in there.

"Do shitty damage until we say so and then you can do actual damage" - Who thought this up?

Last edited:

Keihart

I'll tell you one thing I wish S-E would grow out of, and that's "break bars". Hasn't been fun since FFXIII but they still keep putting that shit in there.

"Do shitty damage until we say so and then you can do actual damage" - Who thought this up?
Completly agree with how overplayed it is, but it worked on dissidia.
That being said, everyone is on the bandwagon of break this bar before doing real damage now, even action games.

Fredrik

I love turn based combat, makes the stats, gear and skills matter more, I don’t want it for all games but Pokémon and Final Fantasy plays a ton better with turn based combat.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
When my fingers are destroyed from years of rhythm games and office work, I will always have my turn based JRPGs about Japanese teenagers killing God to rely on.

RAIDEN1

Real time all the way, that's the biggest thing that turned me off KOTOR, I would much prefer a Mass Effect level of combat, or even when it comes to games like Civilisation again, not for me...

anthony2690

Banned
?

Is this for or against turn based combat?
"Games without real time combat are deal breaker for me.... you?"

I assumed OP, was asking what is a deal breaker for us.

And it depends how slow it is, and how frequent, for example I dropped octopath traveller as it was frequent for my liking.

Nope I hate turn base. Tried a couple of turnbase games persona 5 and yakuza but I just find it boring . I love yakuza, but because the turn base I will never buy a yakuza game anymore.

Top Bottom