• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games without real time combat are deal breaker for me.... you?

How do you prefer your combat?

• Real time

• Turn based

• Why not both?

Results are only viewable after voting.

DJTHEGREY

Depends on the game... I actually wish that FFVII Remake was turn based. However I don't think all RPGs so to speak need to be turn based. I wish there were more AAA games out that play like XCOM, Wastelands, FF Tactics or Persona.

Labadal

I prefer turn-based combat, but I play, and enjoy games with real-time combat as well.

Last edited:

Shifty

I used to only be into real-time combat, but then I did two back-to-back playthroughs of Wizardry 8.

And you can't walk ten yards down a country road in that game without being dragged into a five-to-twenty minute encounter by bandits and angry wildlife.

Now I think both can be good.

Last edited:

Merkades

Both. I am not sure why people want everything to be the same at its core. Just accept that not everything is for you and move on instead of this "rally the troops" stuff.

BTW, Crystal Project just came out and even though I generally hate indies I am, so far at least, loving this one. Because I still look at indies even if most of them are pretty sorry.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Because of these type of gamers they ruined my boy, Fallout. They can exist at the same time; turn based combat is not a dated game mechanic(except random encounters), it's a classic one.

It depends on the game and my mood though.

Mozzarella

I'll give you an advice.

If you are asking in a poll for a preference of two options, dont ever put a third option called both, because that will ruin it for you.
I voted both, because you gave me that option, if you didnt i will start to pause, think and really struggle to vote. Look at how swayed the results are.

teezzy

Banned
I'm legit pissed that I'll likely never see another mainline turn based Final Fantasy game

Last edited:
Agree turn base fucking sucks especially when they forced turn based into games that have never been turn based before like for example Yakuza like a Dragon play it for 30 mins then uninstall and never touch again cause of the turn base crap

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
I thought turn based games get ugly and boring you can put smart enemies with regular combat, more aggressive it’s like comparing men to children. Find a game with better combat than God of War yeah it’s impossible.

kratos GIF
J3YrTYs.gif

NinjaBoiX

Nah, I don’t mind turn based combat, but it needs to be really streamlined for it not to get super annoying.

I tried DQIX a few weeks ago, I was kind of enjoying it but those stupid big text boxes you have to spam through at the end of every battle just got too annoying for their frequency.

Yes yes, I know I got XP, I’m sure a couple of gold and yes, maybe the odd item. Don’t ask me to manually confirm each and every time! I literally said to myself “that’s already annoying me, and I’m only a couple of hours in. Fuck this…”

Just have some text flash over at the bottom of the screen or something, jeez…

Except real time systems never are. They're ways just mindless hack and slashes or mmo combat. If anything developers always dumb that shit down to make it as "accessible" as possible.
To make a small defense for the MMO genre, the meat and potatoes that require extreme strategy, are their raids. That's one of the few things I'll defend for MMOs because that genre has it's own problems, including everyone copying WoW's formula for the past 15 years.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I think Wasteland 3 would have been pretty shit in real time
I much prefer skill-based action and generally don't like turn-based, but I DO like InXile's games enough to put up with turn-based gameplay. I'm also OK with Mass Effect and Dragon Age combat which are sort of a turn-based/real-time hybrid.

Nope. Some real-time combat systems aren't the be all end all, and some semi-real time or turn based systems can offer as much, or more fun, than any real-time system. The imagination has always been a huge part of gaming.

I was like that for a while, the I forced myself to try and complete a game with turn based, since a lot of genre defining games are like that.
It takes some time, but strategizing and picking the items you need and making a plan, applying it and finds it fruitful is a blast

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
War sims, strategy games, party based RPG... anything grand scale = turn based

Sports, action games, Diablo clickfests, shooters, solo based RPGs... anything I control one thing at a time = real time

Puzzle games = both

I've never been good at RTS or any game where you need reflexes to command and control big armies, cities etc.... Kudos for you gamers who can do that shit well.

Laptop1991

Realtime for me everytime, i haven,t played a turn based combat game for a long time and don,t enjoy the combat as much as RT

Myths

13 is the evolved version If you think of each paradigm role as a preconfigured gambit tree, they just didn't explore deeper in that regard while also suffered with pacing problems.
There are definitely other evolutionary paths to Gambit system/XII’s ADB. Eh… I would say very loosely did it try to take ingredients from Gambits and wrap it all in one (as sophisticated as possible) which they labeled as Paradigm. 12 is more hands-on in that you can get real specific with if-thens whereas 13 is more removed and streamlined. I prefer XII though.

One thing I can’t ever get behind is the “Leader” game over. It’s lame.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I think theres so many interesting turn based games out there, but every time I start one up I get bored to death.

Top Bottom