• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you expect Nintendo to save for ‘Switch 2’

93xfan

Banned
I’m expecting Mario Kart 9 to help them move units.

I also think Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remasters will be saved for Switch 2 so they have some must have Zelda content for it over the first years.

In addition, I’m thinking we will get Metroid Prime 2 & 3 on Switch, but 4 will be next gen only.

What games do you all expect them to strategically release only on Switch 2 (regardless of whether the Switch could or couldn’t handle them)?

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
It would be a hard thing to make MP4 next-gen only, because it was announced for Switch years ago. Metroid Prime 4 may be one of those cross-gen titles, except Metroid is not a big series in Japan and probably wouldn’t move units. Mario Kart 9 - realistically what are they bringing to the table that isn’t already in MK8 with dozens of characters and tracks?

Next Animal Crossing is probably their best bet.

VAVA Mk2

It would be a hard thing to make MP4 next-gen only, because it was announced for Switch years ago. Metroid Prime 4 may be one of those cross-gen titles, except Metroid is not a big series in Japan and probably wouldn’t move units. Mario Kart 9 - realistically what are they bringing to the table that isn’t already in MK8 with dozens of characters and tracks?

Next Animal Crossing is probably their best bet.
Cross gen will end so well....
v0TZ7Kt.jpg

Trilobit

Mario Kart 9
Super Mario Illiad
Metroid Prime 4. Due to it releasing in some years I think it will be a positive surprise if Switch 1 gets it at all.
Remake of top down Zelda game

Brigandier

I doubt any games are being saved for their next Hardware.

Definitely cross gen and I don't expect the next switch or whatever they decide to do next will be so much better that there would be an enormous difference anyway.

Banjo64

cumsessed
MK9
Prime 4
Next 3D Mario

All within the first 12 months.

Genshin - launch window.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

There will be a buttload of overlap in games (i.e. ports), just like every other generarion.

Probably won't see "exclusives" until 4 years into its lifetime.

Last edited:

belmarduk

Mario Kart 9
Hopefully a new Mario game

New everything... I don't buy a new console just so I can play old games on it... and I wish other people would stop doing it so Nintendo wouldn't focus so much of its efforts on remakes.

Knightime_X

Mario kart 9
Metroid prime 4
Zelda tears 2
Mario action game

I bet tekken 8 and street fighter 6 happen on nintendo's gen9 console

I also think Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remasters will be saved for Switch 2 so they have some must have Zelda content for it over the first years.
I don't think those are system sellers anymore. Albeit, it's weird they haven't ported the Wii U ports over.

Regardless, I'm unsure that Skyward Sword sold *that* well.

Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora Mask 3D re-ports in HD could do better. And although I just voiced aforementioned opinion, Wind Waker is evergreen. Aged really well.

Kikorin

I expect Metroid Prime 4 being a cross-gen and launch game like they did with BOTW and Mario Kart 9 being a launch game/first Christmas. At this point I also expect next main 3D Mario (or Donkey Kong if rumors are true) beeing next gen.

Holammer

I think all current projects are developed as cross-gen titles. Even Mario Kart 9. Add some new content and slap a deluxe label on it, ready for next-gen!

I think switch 2 saves some gamecube remasters like F-Zero, Paper Mario TTYD, and rumored games like 2d Mario, and DK. I think MP4 is the big core launch title.

Gorgyles

Banned
Would have been cool to plan the successor for FALL 2023
and have
-TOTK
-MP4
-Mario Odyssey 2

all for it
But here we are instead
Makes me think we're 13-18mos from a successor

MagnesD3

Metroid Prime 4
Sadly the next 3d Mario (Praying they shadow drop Odessey 2 for the switch tho)
Mario Kart Succesor

If the DK 3d plat is real I think it will be the last big game of the Switches Life Span.

Holammer

I personally think they’ll use that to entice people to buy a Switch 2, personally.
Switch 2 might have an incredibly cursed launch like the 3DS & WiiU, where factors beyond Nintendo's control [Taiwan invasion for example] make it underperform.
Developing for the regular Switch is Plan B.

Xenoblade X Definitive, next 3D Mario, MK 9, Dread sequel

I think Prime 4 is still Switch and coming this holiday. Hence wanting Prime remaster out now, to help drum up interest.

Last edited:

Joey.

Considering what games have already released, the perfect game to launch Switch 2 would be for a new mainline Mario game. Could even be cross gen which I’m sure it would be. There’s 120M switch owners, they’re not going to just leave money on the table.

MP4 would be cool too but I really think there’s a chance we see it near E3 time with a possibility that it’s a Holiday 2023 release.

Other than Mario…maybe Mario Kart? Maybe a new Smash? Someone said Donkey Kong…that would be cool and different. I’d be hyped for a DK adventure game.

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (DLC release)
Metroid Prime 4 (cross-gen)
Rumored new Metroid 2D game
the third "new" DKC game

I'd honestly love a F-Zero GX remake (or new) and can we please get a new Diddy Kong Racing? I think Mario Kart can chill for a bit.

93xfan

Banned
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (DLC release)
Metroid Prime 4 (cross-gen)
Rumored new Metroid 2D game
the third "new" DKC game

I'd honestly love a F-Zero GX remake (or new) and can we please get a new Diddy Kong Racing? I think Mario Kart can chill for a bit.
They got to have something to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Mario Kart 8 next year.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Honestly, with the 50,000 posts about Microsoft and Sony that we have been bombarded with for the last few months, I kind of forgot Nintendo is still around.

vFY1exd.png

I agree with the OP's post about Mario Kart 9. It doesn't make sense for Nintendo to put that out on the Nintendo Switch if the Nintendo Switch has a successor around the corner.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

Switch 2 will be a trojan horse VR system and Wind Waker will be able to be played in VR. IT's perfect for VR on a technical basis at least for what Nintendo will be doing.

OTherwise yes Mario Kart is definitely something they will have for the next system and probably in VR too. IT's been nearly 10 years since the previous MK. Not going to launch another this gen.

A new Super Mario ...same thing.

Metroid Prime 4 be a good candidate for next Switch...if it is even close to being done. You might say Metroid Prime release means it isn't coming for Switch so they threw out that bone? Or maybe they are whetting the beak to get people excited. I digress.

ok now when I say VR...i say trojan horse because it will also be just a regular sort of sequel to Switch. GAmes will probably just have VR modes/side modes/etc. ..ie VR will be optional.

Anyway at this point they aren't going to release any more major franchises for Switch after the upcoming ZElda game. This is already the longest Nintendo generation. And it's going to start its 7th year here in 3 weeks. IT's surely going to go 7 years at least. PS4 was 7 years. That's the longest generation that I can think of at least in the US. NES in Japan (Famicom) went just over 7 years it seems.

Last edited:

Davesky

Dynamite Headdy 2? I just know Treasure that haven’t made a game in almost a fucking decade are saving a game no one cares or heard about to release as their crowning glory and magnum opus. I personally thought a 3D version of the game would have been perfect on Wii with motion controls and that was in the late 00’s, I’m still waiting…

85 South Praying GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

BotW Remastered, Xenoblade Chronicles remake remastered along with 2 and 3 remastered, Metroid Prime 2 remastered, Pikmin 4 remastered, 1,2 Switch remastered

jaysius

Banned
All That Magic GIF by Nickelodeon

Super Duper Mario... what a dumb thread.

Switch 2 will be full of remasters of Switch games, and "upcoming" Nintendo titles. This doesn't need a thread. This is some GameFaqs level shit.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
All That Magic GIF by Nickelodeon

Super Duper Mario... what a dumb thread.

Switch 2 will be full of remasters of Switch games, and "upcoming" Nintendo titles. This doesn't need a thread. This is some GameFaqs level shit.
Some people are sure Nintendo will release Mario Kart 9 on the Switch 1 (at least making it cross-gen). it would make sense as it has a major install base and would yield tons of profit.

On the other hand, if they’re thinking long term, they could force people upgrade to the Switch 2 to play it. They do after all have to entice people to upgrade (and many casuals likely would do it for a new Mario Kart and a new Animal Crossing).

Which camp do you fall under? Cross green to maximize software sales or Switch 2 exclusive (even for games that could easily run on the Switch 1) to ensure the new console’s success right out of the gate?

lachesis

To be honest, I don't think of a single Nintendo game that would go leaps and bound on graphical fidelity. However, I do expect some games would benefit with much better framerates.
I do hope that's the case with current Switch games to be patched/unlocked to smooth 60fps with native 720p to 1080p docked - like BOTW and upcoming TOK. Also, although not Nintendo developed game, but something like Age of Calamity.

Pokemon, although I don't really play much - could use some more work too. Style is one thing, but it just seem pretty bare..

AREYOUOKAY?

I still think Splatoon 3 should have been saved for such an occasion. It would have made for the perfect launch title in Japan.

Then again I suppose you can't wait too long if you want a series to "stay fresh".

I'll see myself out.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Some people are sure Nintendo will release Mario Kart 9 on the Switch 1 (at least making it cross-gen). it would make sense as it has a major install base and would yield tons of profit.

On the other hand, if they’re thinking long term, they could force people upgrade to the Switch 2 to play it. They do after all have to entice people to upgrade (and many casuals likely would do it for a new Mario Kart and a new Animal Crossing).

Which camp do you fall under? Cross green to maximize software sales or Switch 2 exclusive (even for games that could easily run on the Switch 1) to ensure the new console’s success right out of the gate?

I was just thinking about this very topic and its tough to read but in the end I think they will make more money by making MK9 exclusive to Switch 2.

On paper MK9 would make more money if they put it on Switch sure. But I think the intangible value far eclipses that potential.

Nintendo had a home run with Switch and are afraid of going forward -I would have said this even if their CEO didn't state it outright. The answer to that is not clinging to Switch like a security blanket. They need to show up with a successor ready to slay with momentum. Switch is aging and people are ready for a new one anyway. Don't be afraid to give them a reason.

If they fail to secure a good base for Switch 2 by leading the pack with exclusives like Kart, Mario and Zelda then the base will not be as strong as Switch 1 and dev resources will get stuck more on Switch 1. Basically what happened with cross gen on PS4/5 but this time it would be even worse because it's an old tablet and actually Nintendo's fault. They will go "oh no we screwed up" and go back to the drawing board like they do every other gen.

Tams

Gold Member
No way is Mario Kart 9 going to be on the Switch.

While the Switch hasn't gotten its own Mario Kart, the vast majority of people who have ever played it have played it on the Switch.

Add in the Booster Course Pass running through 2023, it absolutely seems like it was designed as a swansong for the Switch. How long after that ends though a new Nintendo console comes out...

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don't think those are system sellers anymore. Albeit, it's weird they haven't ported the Wii U ports over.

Regardless, I'm unsure that Skyward Sword sold *that* well.
Depends how you see it. SS HD sold 3.6m copies from release in July to September of the same year.

You can safely say it’s over 4m now, could even be as high as 5m or 6m.

For a relatively easy port job selling at full price those aren’t numbers to sniff at.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
A Mario 2D (NEW or 3Dworld) and Mario Kart obligatory since they are the two most beloved IP for "casual" gamers.

A new Smash Bros.
A brand new IP, something like ARMS.
A new IP with classic characters, something like Luigi's Mansion during the GC era.
A gimmick like 1-2 Switch or Nintendoland.

A Mario X Hogwarts to kill people on ERA.

jaysius

Banned

Switch 2 is going to be so lackluster that maybe even some hardcore Nintendo Fanatics might finally be disappointed by it. Nintendo develops these things for decades, then finds the lowest quality shit to jam into the machines, I highly doubt this is going to change for the newest machine.

They'll probably release Mario Kart 9 on Switch 2, but with the lack of inspiration shown in the World Tour courses it won't even hit.

Top Bottom