• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you wat to try as a result of word of mouth

Hey GAF, what are games you wish to try based on word of mouth? I saw my cousin play L.A. Noire yesterday and it intrigued me since it seems like an AAA version of Deadly Premonition, so at some point I wish to try out L.A. Noire. What about you GAF, any games you wish to try based on word of mouth?

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I hear about Project Zomboid a lot during discussions of zombie/survival games. Really want to try it, but I'm sure it's one of those headache-inducing indie games.
Tried it. It is.

I play most games I'm even vaguely interested in, but I'll wait if its a genre I don't typically enjoy. So right now that would be Devil May Cry V--good word of mouth and I'll try it eventually

hemo memo

Gold Member
Cult of the lamp and I know this might be cheap of me to say but 28.49$ (region store price) is just too much for a game that I might and might not enjoy as I hate roguelike titles but I was told that this is a roguelike for people who hate roguelikes.

Last edited:
FFXIV. A lot.

But I don't have time to dive into a MMORPG of that scale.
I can sell you my account... Just joking. If you don't have the time is hard to recommend any MMORPG for that matter. I returned to FFXIV past year after stopping during the Stormblood expansion (2017) and it took some time to get caught up with everything in Shadowbringers and get prepared for Endwalkers. I don't see myself playing it if I wasn't already into the franchise, it is the same problem I have with Warframe where I try to pick it up and play for a week or two before uninstalling it.

I hear about Project Zomboid a lot during discussions of zombie/survival games. Really want to try it, but I'm sure it's one of those headache-inducing indie games.
Project Zomboid seems intriguing and also found out about it through word of mouth, its on my Wishlist
I try to be careful with word of mouth since sometimes it's easy to fall into "fever of the month" kind of shitty games.
That's a solid counterpoint to this thread, usually word of mouth has a positive connotation (word of mouth is the best advertising)

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Project Zomboid seems intriguing and also found out about it through word of mouth, its on my Wishlist

That's a solid counterpoint to this thread, usually word of mouth has a positive connotation (word of mouth is the best advertising)
Yes, and I've discovered many cool games thanks to it, specially older ones.

Not saying WOM should be ignored, rather taken with a bit of caution.

Topher

Gold Member
I started playing Octopath Traveler on xCloud this week since I’m in a hotel room all week. I heard others talk about it and I saw it was on Game Pass so giving it a try. So far I’m enjoying it a lot. Old school JRPG with some cool battle effects.

Have to say, this is a perfect game for xCloud.

DaGwaphics

I try a lot of games based on what I've seen posted by other GAF posters. Sometimes I like the games (GoTG, Quantum Break, etc.) other times they don't quite click (PWS). It's a great way to find interesting things outside of what you would normally enjoy.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
PSVR2 in a year. I'm sure it will be pretty sick, but I'm planning on skipping it. Very much want to play RE8 in VR and see the big lady. Maybe someday if it's cheap enough.

Last edited:
i don't rely on word of mouth alone to buy a game.

there have been games that i initially heard of due word of mouth and i ended up playing them and loving them but there are just as many, if not more, of those games that i decided not to buy and it seemed like the right decision.

off the top of my head that Valheim game was insanely popular for a while but i never got around to it. maybe it is a fun game but now it just seems like a bang average game. what i mean is if something is really popular and getting a shit load of positive steam reviews/twitch views then i might hold off and wait to see what it's like once the hype has died down.

i always make sure to keep an eye on reviews and watch a lot of gameplay first. i'm not going to jump in straight away but take my time to see if it's something i really like. if it is then i might be convinced to drop the asking price at launch but sometimes i will think i'll wait for a sale and if i still want to play it i'll get it then.

Last edited:

Jennings

I've heard good things about these games and I'd like to try them, but I don't own a Playstation:
Bloodborne
Demon Souls Remake
The Last of Us 1
God of War
Spider-Man
Ghost of Tsushima

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
i don't rely on word of mouth alone to buy a game.

there have been games that i initially heard of due word of mouth and i ended up playing them and loving them but there are just as many, if not more, of those games that i decided not to buy and it seemed like the right decision.

off the top of my head that Valheim game was insanely popular for a while but i never got around to it. maybe it is a fun game but now it just seems like a bang average game. what i mean is if something is really popular and getting a shit load of positive steam reviews/twitch views then i might hold off and wait to see what it's like once the hype has died down.

i always make sure to keep an eye on reviews and watch a lot of gameplay first. i'm not going to jump in straight away but take my time to see if it's something i really like. if it is then i might be convinced to drop the asking price at launch but sometimes i will think i'll wait for a sale and if i still want to play it i'll get it then.
I regret getting Valheim and it's the perfect example for my previous post about FOTM games.

I found it to be slow, janky, devoid of content and overall boring.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Pretty much all nintendo games but im not a mobile gamer, i prefer my games to have high resolution and whatnot, even for pixelated stuff and playing a docked switch on a 4k screen is ugly as shit from what i've seen. Still hoping one day they'll decide to either port their shit to steam or give us a better hardware.

Last edited:
I've heard good things about these games and I'd like to try them:
Bloodborne
Demon Souls Remake
The Last of Us 1
God of War
Spider-Man
Ghost of Tsushima
Bloodborne was one of the "word of mouth" games than I ended up falling in love with. Even after buying it I was kicking myself. It took me a few months to get into it but when I did I was hooked. It's one of my favourite games of all time.

TLOU1 is actually a really great game and I mean one of the best games ever made. All the negative shit is due to people not liking Part 2 and/or because of Sony selling a remastered version of 1 at a ridiculous price. I get they were bringing the graphics up to par with Part 2 but there was no need to ask for that much money. The game had a remastered version in 2014. If you own that then there's no reason to get the new version on PS5 unless you want pretty graphics. If you've never played TLOU before then it makes sense to buy that version but if you've played it before it's not good value.

If you try Bloodborne and like it then give Demon's Souls a try. It's a visual remake but at it's core it's still that janky old 2009 game. It's not a terrible game but it might be rough to play it now. It's a PS3 game with updated graphics.

The rest I wouldn't bother with. I'm not a Spiderman fan but if you're into him you can play it.

Every time I play something that gets a ton of attention I'm almost always disappointed in it.

"You have to try ____" to me now means I should probably avoid it.

I did try em, loved em, play em, share em.

Ultimate Chicken Horse, so fucking fun with family or friends (friends got me into this one, play it with them and/or family all the time).
R.73b0c6e1e07caa2a8cd0efa56a0b7dae

Aliens Fireteam, awesome trip down OG Alien/Aliens in a game with two coop buddies at your side. Kick ass fun, put the volume up and play it in the dark with a party of friends/alien fans. Plenty of little nods and eggs in there. Like Joe said - "you didn't fuck it up" (I got my friends into it, made them try it).

I did try em, loved em, play em, share em.

Ultimate Chicken Horse, so fucking fun with family or friends (friends got me into this one, play it with them and/or family all the time).
R.73b0c6e1e07caa2a8cd0efa56a0b7dae

Aliens Fireteam, awesome trip down OG Alien/Aliens in a game with two coop buddies at your side. Kick ass fun, put the volume up and play it in the dark with a party of friends/alien fans. Plenty of little nods and eggs in there. Like Joe said - "you didn't fuck it up" (I got my friends into it, made them try it).

Ultimate Chicken Horse is fun with buddies

Top Bottom