• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games You Were Wrong About

Mossybrew

So when Prey was released, I played the free demo that showcased the very beginning of the game and ... well I thought it sucked. I found it tedious and boring. Never played the full game based on that initial impression until, today. I'm looking for sales and something to play, and here it is at ten bucks on the PS Store.

Hell, ten bucks, I figure I've heard some good things about the game over the years, I'll give it another shot - plus it's the deluxe version with Mooncrash. That was this morning, been playing a good chunk of the day and have to say, at this point I am really digging it. I think my initial impression was totally wrong.

Any games that put you off at first, but later you came around to really enjoy?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Mario + Rabbits, I don’t like most of Ubisoft games and I’m not fan of their Rabbits characters so I kind of dismiss the game and didn’t buy at launch.

Eventually I got it on sale because I had extra money left on my EShop and I was blown away how much I enjoyed this game, it was genuinely great game with really good humour and I even warm up to those Rabbits characters.

Currently super hyped for the sequel and the ONLY Ubisoft game I actually liked.

Last edited:
Kingdom come: Deliverance. Thought it might be too plain and boring being so realistic. Ended up getting it with all DLC for just $8, cant believe i didnt play it sooner. Playing it on hardcore for my first playthrough and just cant believe how refreshing it is to play something believable. As a fan of history in general I'm loving the story. Also the combat has depth and meaning. Just really enjoying all of it.

Mossybrew

I’d have to say Agents of Mayhem. I thought it was going to be a fun game because I loved Saints Row.

Boy, was I wrong.

Hah, aright there's the opposite spin of my intention, but yeah games you thought you were gonna like, then let you down, fits with the thread. I sure was wrong about Anthem.

Last edited:

unclbenn

i initially dismissed "control" after watching some previews of the game. it wasnt until it was offered as a ps+ monthly game that i decided to give it a shot... and i was hooked.

the games art style is what kinda threw me off, i thought it was to bland and it really didnt get my attention because i had no idea what the story was about. once i started playing i really dug the x-files esque story, it kept me wanting to play more just to discover what the hell was going on.

i also initially thought the weapons were underwhelming but after playing it the weapons and upgrading them felt great. the real weapon in this game are your other powers, using your telekinesis to hurl obects around felt so satisfying.

Neff

Resident Evil 4 springs to mind.

Ditching fixed camera angles, a setting taking place during the day, and mechanics focusing solely on arcade-style action sent me on a crusade to inform the internet that Resident Evil had been ruined forever. And holy FUCK was I glad to be wrong.

Devil May Cry 1. After trying out motion sword controls in Skyward Sword, I went back to DMC1 thinking it's button based combat was primitive. How idiotic. It became a stone cold favorite of all time combat once I got gud at it and ironically as much as I like Skyward Sword that was the game I didn't end up replaying as much compared to DMC1 which is a regular candidate for replaying

RPSleon

So when Prey was released, I played the free demo that showcased the very beginning of the game and ... well I thought it sucked. I found it tedious and boring. Never played the full game based on that initial impression until, today. I'm looking for sales and something to play, and here it is at ten bucks on the PS Store.

Hell, ten bucks, I figure I've heard some good things about the game over the years, I'll give it another shot - plus it's the deluxe version with Mooncrash. That was this morning, been playing a good chunk of the day and have to say, at this point I am really digging it. I think my initial impression was totally wrong.

Any games that put you off at first, but later you came around to really enjoy?
I wish they would update prey to run better and higher res on ps5. Id have bought it recently if that was the case.

intbal

Batman The Telltale Series

It was the kind of cheap that you have to buy it even if you never intend to play it. So I bought the bundle.
I figured I would hate a non-action Batman game.
I was wrong. Loved it.
Didn't like Enemy Within as much as the first game, but it's still decent.

Bartski

Gold Member
Not sure what went wrong with the Prey demo, I also hated it. But then gave the game another shot via gamepass and it totally won me over.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Axiom Verge 2. Loved the first one and didn't like the second one at all. Came back to it after a year and it's quite a good game. Sure not as good as the first one but the lore and some sections were great.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
not sure if it counts but there have been games i've not been interested in or avoided because i had the wrong impression of it so was just being ignorant but i then decided to go give them a try and actually enjoyed them. a list of those games would be:
  • Bloodborne - was put off with how much of a reputation the souls games got for being difficult. it took me a while to get into it but when it clicked i was hooked.
  • Persona 4/5 - thought they looked strange and creepy. the anime look put me off. played them and fell in love with them.
  • Nier Automata - it was the design of 2B that bothered me. i just thought that must be a shit game and people are only playing to stare at her ass. while that might be true for some people lol the game itself is interesting and fun.
  • The Last of Us 2 - loved the first game and was hyped as shit but i read a leak and thought wtf is that. i guess i went along with all the hate it got but decided i need to play it to decide for myself. i kept waiting for something to happen that pissed me off but it never came. honestly the only thing that bothered me was how stale the gameplay formula is with Naughty Dog games. the combat/stealth was great but how many times do i need to duck under trees/fences, squeeze through tight spots, push carts/trash bins around to reach a higher level? they can do better than that.
  • Final Fantasy VII - i guess not just VII but for all FF. i thought it was silly with the character designs, ridiculously huge swords, creepy little elf/cat people, and big chickens. i've been playing VII both the remake/original and it's soo damn good. once i finish both versions i'll probably give XV/XVI a try.
i suppose i can be a bit of an ignorant and prejudiced person when it comes to games but i've learned that it's wrong to think that way. i'm happy i gave those games a shot because i can't imagine not having played them now. living with a closed/ignorant mind is not good.

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

Prey - I've watched the gameplay videos and thought it was boring (especially the enemy design). Unlike what happened with fellow gaffers, after actually playing the demo, I became interested in the full game. Still, I waited for a sale, just in case.

Resident Evil 7 - Yeap, I was one of those people that got turned off by a (main) Resident Evil FPS kinda spinoff. Ironically, I enjoyed it more (and Village) than any other Resident Evil released in the last couple of years. The first half managed to replicate what made the old RE amazing, that being the exploration. Unfortunately, the second half was the usual linear boring gameplay and it didn't help that the setting was visually boring.

Wohc

Banned
Yakuza 7. Always thought it's just one of those weird japanese games that i don't like, but 7 was actually very good. Too much story/talking, but very fun gameplay.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Diablo Immortal, turns out it is GOTY.
Better than Elden Ring, Blood Borne, and Super Mario Bros 3 combined.

936.jpg

Banned
Not sure what went wrong with the Prey demo, I also hated it. But then gave the game another shot via gamepass and it totally won me over.

well the beta was the unpatched version, so depending on which system you played it on it would have been a shitshow when it comes to the tech alone.
on Xbox One it was tolerable, on PS4 the input lag was fucking atrocious (and still it but less so after patches)

today on a Series X at 60fps or on a good PC it is honestly transformative. the game plays way better like that.

I personally played it first on a One X, which was to me the only tolerable version on console back then. I also since replayed it on PC where it is way better still.
so tech issues might be one reason some might have hated the demo, because the tech issues do impact gameplay and controls on console.

Mario + Rabbits, I don’t like most of Ubisoft games and I’m not fan of their Rabbits characters so I kind of dismiss the game and didn’t buy at launch.

Eventually I got it on sale because I had extra money left on my EShop and I was blown away how much I enjoyed this game, it was genuinely great game with really good humour and I even warm up to those Rabbits characters.

Currently super hyped for the sequel and the ONLY Ubisoft game I actually liked.
Same game I thought of. I have zero interest in Mario games, and wtf are Rabbids? But I'll be damned if it isn't a very well designed turned-based XCOM-lite.

Orta

Banned
Little Nightmares. Slow and cumbersome was my initial thought so I ditched it. If I hadn't returned to it I would never have bothered with its absolutely glorious sequel.

Dark Souls. Still hate a handful of things they keep from game to game, but back when it first came out I would make all my stats equal, and was using an un-upgraded Rapier. I just assumed the game was shit and dropped it.

Ten years later, I discovered the Uchigatana and Dex scaling, and now I've beaten them all. Balancing is still shit in some of the games (looking at you Elden Ring), but being able to run through the game made me appreciate so much more of it.

Same in my top 10 Switch games

I've been getting into Horror games lately for the first time. I thought Resident Evil 1 would be just good but I ended up loving it. Everything from the gameplay, graphics, etc I absolutely 💯 loved. I still need to play 2 and 3 Remake. I'm waiting for the 4 Remake to get released

Bo_Hazem

Banned
None. I seriously don't remember a game that I thought it was shit and it turned out to be good. I understand my taste pretty well and can sniff BS games pretty easily. Important to note that it means "BS" to my preference/taste, doesn't necessarily mean that they are shit.

The opposite? I think occasionally, thinking a game would be good and turns out to be a flop like Anthem.

SSfox

Back then I though Dead Space is gone be shit, cause literally every EA game i played until post Fifa 98 was shit or mediocre at best. But of course it ended being one of the best horror game ever.

Also Batman AA i though it's gonna be either trash, or OK at best, cause usually that's the case for most IPs base games, but it ended being one of the best game of the ps360 generation.

Last edited:

laynelane

I tried the demo for TLoU way back on the PS3 and just didn't enjoy it. The gameplay didn't feel good and I had a lot of trouble getting past the Clickers. Much later, after hearing all sorts of good things, I rented it and gave it another try. Wound up loving it in its entirety. Another one was Fallout 3. Tried it, was bored, and put it down. Came back later and loved it so much that I got 100% completion, DLCs included. In both cases, it was listening to other people's opinions which made me go against my initial impressions. Glad I listened or I would've missed out on two games I really love.

Back then I though Dead Space is gone be shit, cause literally every EA game i played until post Fifa 98 was shit or mediocre at best. But of course it ended being of the best horror game ever.

Also Batman AK i though it's gonna be either trash, or OK at best, cause usually that's the case for most IPs base games, but it ended being one of the best game of the ps360 generation.
I thought I would just like Arkham Asylum and think it wouldn't be anything special. But Asylum is by far my favorite Arkham game

M1987

Souls games.Never liked the look of them, but I decided to try Bloodborne the other day.It's hard, but it's incredible

I always thought Monster Hunter looked boring. These guys are just whacking a monster that hardly reacts for 10 minutes. Whop tee doo. A friend forced a MH World Iceborne key on me though (which he got for free with the purchase of a GPU) and I played a bit for his sake. I was surprised by how fun the combat is, and how different all the weapons feel. I consider myself a fan of the series now.

Daytonabot

Banned
I've been gaming for 40+ years. I have a pretty good idea of what I'll like and not after the initial gameplay trailer. I tend to err on the side of not giving the benefit of the doubt, which both reduces my false positive rate and my already ridiculous backlog.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Forza Horizon 5 - I meant to try it for a few minutes because the graphics were so stunning in the trailers, but I just KNEW I wouldn't play it for more than a few minutes because I hate racing games. Oops - I ended up putting a lot of hours into the game and discovered it was really fun.

Guardians of the Galaxy - In addition to hating racing games, I really hate super hero/comic book games. Since people kept saying the game was really good and it was free* on Game Pass I decided to try it. OMG that game was so good. I loved it.

GotG was so damn good I decided to try The Avengers which was also free* on Game Pass. Avengers made me remember why I hate stupid, corny Super Hero games and I feel grossly overcharged at the price of $0.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Dragon’s Dogma. When previews and initial screenshots came out, it looked generic as all get-out. Then I played it. Couldn’t stop. Got all achievements on Xbox 360. Then repurchased the game on PS3 when the Dark Arisen expansion released. Platinumed the game. Bought it again on PS4.

Elder Scrolls Online. Same deal. Looked super uninspired. But they made something of it, and it’s a solid MMO with a low barrier of entry, and a shocking number of frequent updates.

FFXIV A Realm Reborn. I played the original release and it was hot garbage. When they said they were redoing the whole game, I thought they were doing something akin to what was done with the Star Wars Galaxies revamp. Then I got to try the beta test of A Realm Reborn and it was lightyears better than the original game’s launch. Been playing FFXIV ever since.

Dragon’s Dogma. When previews and initial screenshots came out, it looked generic as all get-out. Then I played it. Couldn’t stop. Got all achievements on Xbox 360. Then repurchased the game on PS3 when the Dark Arisen expansion released. Platinumed the game. Bought it again on PS4.

Elder Scrolls Online. Same deal. Looked super uninspired. But they made something of it, and it’s a solid MMO with a low barrier of entry, and a shocking number of frequent updates.

FFXIV A Realm Reborn. I played the original release and it was hot garbage. When they said they were redoing the whole game, I thought they were doing something akin to what was done with the Star Wars Galaxies revamp. Then I got to try the beta test of A Realm Reborn and it was lightyears better than the original game’s launch. Been playing FFXIV ever since.
I need to play Dragon Dogma

Chronicle

Kingdom come: Deliverance. Thought it might be too plain and boring being so realistic. Ended up getting it with all DLC for just $8, cant believe i didnt play it sooner. Playing it on hardcore for my first playthrough and just cant believe how refreshing it is to play something believable. As a fan of history in general I'm loving the story. Also the combat has depth and meaning. Just really enjoying all of it.
That game is fantastic. The dark horse of last gen.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Skyward sword, twilight princess, and wind waker. I experienced all three games again on the Wii U as an adult, the sharpness in graphics, if you have a guide it’s a much better experience. I learned to develop playing Zelda games with ocarina of time and Majoras mask so I know how to play dungeons.

Top Bottom