• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games You Were Wrong About

nush

Gold Member
Sega Rally, "This is shit, my car slides all over the place and I keep bouncing off the walls". Then I watched my brother playing it and being good at it. So I tried again and it clicked.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I need to play Dragon Dogma
It’s a weird game, you can tell they had to make a lot of cuts before they pushed the game out. It’s a flawed but ambitious gem that really shines when you sink your teeth in. It’s an experience you’ll be hard pressed to find elsewhere.

Want to set yourself on fire, then grab an enemy so they can share in the experience of immolation? You can do that. Want to climb on the back of a griffon with a morbidly obese character to weigh it down so it can’t fly away properly because the game actually accounts for character creation stuff like your character size? You can do that. Want to throw your pawns into the brine and kill them, because they won’t shut the fuck up? You can do that.

Dragon’s Dogma has so many half-baked systems and insanity, and it’s just a joy to screw around with. Fighting big monsters and being able to climb them Shadow of the Colossus style adds so much depth to combat. If you’ve ever wanted to experience making your own Legolas and just climbing shit, slashing a chimera’s goat head to shreds or firing a charged arrow into a cyclops eye to one-hit-kill it, this game is it. Can’t wait for the sequel.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Axiom Verge 2. Loved the first one and didn't like the second one at all. Came back to it after a year and it's quite a good game. Sure not as good as the first one but the lore and some sections were great.
I had the same feeling, but I haven’t tried the sequel again. It was weird being above the clouds instead of down below. It just felt weird cause I wanted the large underground Metroid style bosses. It was like the game had too much light to it.

Jaybe

The Witcher 3. the combat put me off for years, then i persevered and i loved the game, i didnt play it until 2020.
Same here. I gave TW2 on PC an hour and it didn’t capture me. completed the Baron quest in TW3 on PC and parked it. Came back to it on XSX last winter and enjoyed it so much. Helps to have quick resume and the 4K 60fps. Anything with a fair amount of death and systems and I really need to have a lot of focused time to wrap myself around what I’m doing.

dorkimoe

No Mans Sky
Cyberpunk

Gaf was so hyper obsessive with both these games, acting like they were the second coming of christ. It put me off and i thought they both looked like shit and were going to be terrible. Technically I was right...for the launches, but Ended up LOVING both after they were patched (Didnt play no mans until like 2 years after launch)

The Last Guardian. I was such an anti person for this game after all the delays and then the reviews came in and the criticism and I was like "told you!". And then I just bought it one day for $20 and fell in love with it. Never had a problem with controls, as if I understood immediately how this was supposed to be played and that Trico wouldnt obey your commands immediately. The atmosphere is amazing especially while wearing headphones. Finished it 3 times.

No Mans Sky
Cyberpunk

Gaf was so hyper obsessive with both these games, acting like they were the second coming of christ. It put me off and i thought they both looked like shit and were going to be terrible. Technically I was right...for the launches, but Ended up LOVING both after they were patched (Didnt play no mans until like 2 years after launch)
I only played NMS at launch. Got the platinum and loved it.

It’s a weird game, you can tell they had to make a lot of cuts before they pushed the game out. It’s a flawed but ambitious gem that really shines when you sink your teeth in. It’s an experience you’ll be hard pressed to find elsewhere.

Want to set yourself on fire, then grab an enemy so they can share in the experience of immolation? You can do that. Want to climb on the back of a griffon with a morbidly obese character to weigh it down so it can’t fly away properly because the game actually accounts for character creation stuff like your character size? You can do that. Want to throw your pawns into the brine and kill them, because they won’t shut the fuck up? You can do that.

Dragon’s Dogma has so many half-baked systems and insanity, and it’s just a joy to screw around with. Fighting big monsters and being able to climb them Shadow of the Colossus style adds so much depth to combat. If you’ve ever wanted to experience making your own Legolas and just climbing shit, slashing a chimera’s goat head to shreds or firing a charged arrow into a cyclops eye to one-hit-kill it, this game is it. Can’t wait for the sequel.
Well you convinced me lol

ikbalCO

Hades
I thought journos were pumping this game up so that they dint have to give goty to tlou p2 because of crunching news and developer of hades is super woke super pc so its a match made in heaven.
But yeah i was pretty wrong. Hades is awsome and addictive.

mxbison

Doom Eternal

I enjoyed Doom 2016 but everything I saw about Doom Eternal turned me off. Traversal, hub world, more dashing around in fights and more skills. Basically the old "bigger is better" approach that usually fails. Recently played it because it was a good game to try out 120fps on my new TV and I have to say it's a ton of fun.

DonJorginho

Banned
The Last Of Us Part II

Went into this game seething with the leaks and I desperately wanted the game to be a disaster to rub in the face of Druckmann who in my eyes had ruined the series I adored.

Little did I know I'd walk away from this game having had one of the greatest and most emotional experiences I'd ever had in my time gaming and this game remains one of my all-time favourites, partly because of those ballsy decisions that Druckmann took with the story.

mekes

Demon's Souls. Imported the asia version, played until the first boss, got smacked a few times and dropped it for months. Returned to it with a different mindset and platinumed it.
Exactly the same for me. I was going to say exactly what you said. I remember being really happy when I did return to the game and progressed further than my initial time with the game. From that point on I was hooked and I felt like I understood the game so much better.

The Last Of Us Part II

Went into this game seething with the leaks and I desperately wanted the game to be a disaster to rub in the face of Druckmann who in my eyes had ruined the series I adored.

Little did I know I'd walk away from this game having had one of the greatest and most emotional experiences I'd ever had in my time gaming and this game remains one of my all-time favourites, partly because of those ballsy decisions that Druckmann took with the story.

Its the only game that I replayed right away the next day. I was annoyed by all the woke talk but when it came to playing it, I enjoyed it all. Still think they were pushing the wokeness a bit too hard but a good game is a good game.

cireza

Banned
Currently super hyped for the sequel and the ONLY Ubisoft game I actually liked.
Have you played Zombi U. I dislike pretty much everything Ubisoft, but this game was really good.

Rabbids have also always been a good laugh in multiplayer.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The Last Of Us Part II

Similar for me, except i went in expecting to absolutely despise the game. After having played it? I was utterly bored. The entire experience was utterly meaningless to me and I can’t even remember half of the characters or plot threads despite having spent time to get the platinum. Which to me is far worse than a shitty game. At least a shitty game is memorable.

Glad others liked it though.

Another game I thought was going to be mediocre was Death’s Door. Looked like a pretty bland top down hack and slash. Turned out to be a very calming Zelda-like with beautiful animations, well paced gameplay, and great controls. Hollow Knight had a similar issue for me. Trailers just made it look incredibly generic with an ugly artstyle, but having seen both on my TV they looked far better than screenshots/trailers made me believe.

Kumomeme

FFXIV. been dissapointed with FF for years especially at how dissapointed FF13 and 15 is. that time really doubt square could make decent rpg with modern standard anymore. hear great praise for the game and yet that time i really against of acknowledging 14 as mainline title. my argument that it is a mmo, not single player game while at same time expecting it merely a mmo with FF skin + tons of typical MMO grinding. later hear tons of praise of Heavensward and get curious to see what the fuss is all about and whether it live to its praise. finally try the game with low expectation. turn out it is nothing like im expected and i never been glad to be proven wrong. if anything im regret at, is not to play sooner.

hopefully same guys behind the expansion can pull of similliar feat with XVI and prove lot more people wrong.

Last edited:

OOGABOOGA

Banned
FFXIV. been dissapointed with FF for years especially at how dissapointed FF13 and 15 is. that time really doubt square could make decent rpg with modern standard anymore. hear great praise for the game and yet that time i really against of acknowledging 14 as mainline title. my argument that it is a mmo, not single player game while at same time expecting it merely a mmo with FF skin + tons of typical MMO grinding. later hear tons of praise of Heavensward and get curious to see what the fuss is all about and whether it live to its praise. finally try the game with low expectation. turn out it is nothing like im expected and i never been glad to be proven wrong. if anything im regret at, is not to play sooner.

hopefully same guys behind the expansion can pull of similliar feat with XVI and prove lot more people wrong.
This is the only game I changed my opinion about, but that's a different story, cus they rebooted the whole thing.

Thabass

At the time, I thought Zelda was for kids and then I played Ocarina of Time the Christmas it came out. Not only did it change my mind, I became a megafan of the series and OOT is my #2 favorite game in the series. (BOTW is #1).

Warablo

Dying Light - Came back and gave it a second chance. One of the best zombie games ever made.
Prey - Thought the cancelled Prey looked so much better, but this one surprised me and was a great atmospheric game
Battleborn - The art style didn't appeal to me at all, but the moba mode was so much fun with friends

Beechos

All arkane games. I hate the art style of their games. Trailers, gameplay and screenshots dont do their games any favors either. Once i play their games though everything changes. Everything is just so good, excellenty crafted and thought out, their games are a joy to play.

Beechos

Doom 2018 or whenever it was released was another one. I was never a doom fan with any of the past iterations. Bought the game on sale and think doom and doom eternal are both 2 of the best modern fps ever made.

Last edited:
Horizon Zero Dawn - I read rumors in 2013 about a game being developed by Killzone devs of small red headed girl fights mechanized dinosaurs with bow/arrow. Sounded completely stupid to me. I ended up completing it + Frozen wilds near 100% and loved it.

Dragon Quest XI - Another weeb anime JRPG like the trash SQ publishes with Final fantasy. I put in 150 hours into it to get the "real/good" ending. Fantastic game couldn't have been more wrong about it!

I started the Witcher like three times before actually getting into it. That’s the only one I was certain I didn’t like till I got into it

Also didn’t think I’d like doom eternal and prey nearly as much as I ended up liking them.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The binding of issac. I thought it looked like shit, played it on Wii U and it played like shit, wasn't a fan
Replayed it on Xbox Series S. I wish i could slap my past self for having such bad fucking taste.

Spelunky 2's still better though

Prey is amazing. I don't like anything else by Arkane.

Yakuza is my pick. I played through the entire series and the two Judgement games over the last 2 years. I passed on it after playing a demo on the PS2. Whoops.

Recently, Cyberpunk. I'm playing through it right now, and it's great. It's so unique.

Last edited:

OOGABOOGA

Banned

Wait now that I am thinking about. It's not even the same game, it's litterally a whole new game tho!!!

OOGABOOGA

Banned
they remaking whole game from ground up including new engine.. so yeah
Yeah, but that's not what op is talking about. Op is saying you played a game then you replayed the same game again and changed your opinion about it, but in the case of FFXIV the original and the new version are both litterally whole different games. Idk just something I noticed lol.

Last edited:

Rudius

I returned Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for PS1 when I saw it was 2D. Only wanted to play 3D games at the time. I was an idiot.

Kumomeme

I returned Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for PS1 when I saw it was 2D. Only wanted to play 3D games at the time. I was an idiot.
well in some way im completely turn off even before playing it. but right you have point here.

nemiroff

Gold Member
State of Decay 2. I must've tried 5-6 times to get into this game (it's free on GP), but I found it way too cumbersome and boring. But here the other day I randomly co-op'ed it in crossplay with my son. After getting a sense of how stuff works, we've had three great sessions with it so far and can't wait to get into it again.

Last edited:

Davevil

Fifa 22, thanks to Konami's suicide with PES, is the first edition I have bought since the 16-bit era
Completely hooked on the FUT and SBC modes

supernova8

Banned
Witcher 3
I tried it on PS4 and it ran so badly it gave me a headache.
Got it again for PC and the experience is so much nicer with even a relatively shit GPU (GTX 1650 still, yeah baby). I didn't get that far because I have the attention span of dying goldfish, but I played it long enough to finally see why other people thought it was good.

Udde

ONRUSH
I played it when it was available as PS Plus free game, on PS4, and I guess my mindset was to expect a racing game that would be a successor to Motorstorm, and since I did not find that, I only played a couple of hours, came out disapponited, and then uninstalled it.

Recently, when I got the PS5, I decided to redownload it and give it another try... I'm totally hooked to it. I'm at about 80% of the game and I can only say it is awesome. It is not a conventional racing game, coming first does not matter. It clicked on me when I understood it is about the adrenaline rush of burnout takedowns + marvelous motorstorm track design + extremely polished gameplay and audiovisual aspects (this last point, I'm not sure if it was improved for PS5, but it is crisp as hell, flawless 60fps, amazing interactive soundtrack, and the controls are one of the best in arcade racers I have ever tried, and I have played every major arcade racing game since the SNES era. I was blind when I tried it on PS4 (I'm sorry Paul Rustchynsky :messenger_squinting_tongue: ).

Last edited:

Roberts

Can't think of any...

Well, I bought Dishonoured when it came out, played the first mission, didn't like it and forgot about it until FPS boost update came out for XSX. Still didn't really understand what the fuss is about but stuck with it and ended up loving it. Arkane can do no wrong.

Top Bottom