• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you've beaten in November 2021

DarkTom

Hi fellow gaffers!

This thread is the revival of a classic series from the past.

The idea is self-explanatory: list the games you have beaten in the past month, being November 2021 this time.

Obviously, a few words on the games are more than welcome.

If you feel so, you can try to succeed in the 3 games a month challenge to spice things a bit.

So, what games have you beaten in November 2021 ?

Cornbread78

Halo 2, 3 & 4.

2 & 3 were excellent!

4, well, at least Cortana grew up a little...

CUYg4Iz.jpg

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Quite a few for me!
  • Immortals: Fenix Rising (Xbox Series X)
  • Shadow Complex: Remastered (Xbox Series X)
  • Elden Ring Network Test (Xbox Series X - I'm counting this one since I spent 9 hours and did literally everything I could do)
  • Picross S4 (Nintendo Switch)
  • Kingdom Rush (Nintendo Switch)
  • Sega Ages: Phantasy Star (Nintendo Switch)

Lots of really great stuff this month. I play through Shadow Complex every few years and it's always entertaining and scratches that Metroidvania itch perfectly without overstaying it's welcome. This gen it's a Series X exclusive which is... kinda weird. The Elden Ring network test was DOPE - I've tried a bunch to get into souls games and nothing's really clicked for me before but this one (even though it's just a test) was a lot of fun. I'm constantly playing picross games and S4 took me about 25 hours of fun, solid, no-frills puzzling. Phantasy Star I haven't beat since I was a kid, the AGES version really stepped things up and made it awesome.

GametimeUK

November

1st - Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)

Played this so many times and could never get a group that was able to beat a mission where you fill a car with duel. It pissed me off to no end. We struggled every time even on normal difficulty. I put the game down for years and just did that mission solo. I finished the rest of the content in the base game coop and absolutely adored it.

11th - Forza Horizon 5 (Series X)

Game of the year so far. I play on performance mode and on the Series X. Looks phenomenal on my LGC9 and my friend is now addicted too. Solidifies Forza Horizon as my favourite racing series of all time.

13th - Halo 4 (PC)

Don't get me wrong I don't think this game is as good as prior entries in the series, but I was expecting a horrible game here and left pleasantly surprised. Parts of it were borderline fantastic and I'm referring to Cortana and Chiefs relationship. I enjoyed this game and I would highly recommend it. I played Halo 5 a few years ago so I was really expecting 4 to be awful, but here we are. Great game.

17th - Dark Souls Remastered (Switch)

My favourite game of all time. Decided to make a build where I throw full points into Vit and just have the base stats to 2 hand the maxed out Lightning Zweihander. Just a really quick and fun run of the game whilst I was on the train to and from my vacation. Also stayed up too late one night playing it. :D. Portable Dark Souls is what life is all about.

21st - Dead Rising (PC)

Well fuck me sideways. I always struggled with this game when it released. I mean the difficulty was just too brutal, but it was due to my lack of understanding. I wish I knew back then to treat it as a rogue like and start the game again upon failing whilst keeping your level. It seems I'm much better on games these days as I just blasted through a fresh run and didn't have to rely on rogue like mechanics to help me. Ended up loving this game too so much that...

21st - Dead Rising Case Zero (Series X)

... I played this fucking little gem. I had no idea this game was even a thing. A mini demo like game for Dead Rising 2. A prologue to the games events. I played, beaten and loved Dead Rising 2 on PS3 upon launch. I was unaware this little game was a thing on 360. I first heard about this game on a top 10 list or some random YouTube video I saw years ago. For whatever reason something triggered something in my brain reminding me to check this out. It was so long ago I thought I was making it up in my own mind. Anyway a bite sized, easy to digest game that I beat in one short sitting. Very enjoyable.

25th - 50 Cent BOTS (Series X)

Here we go! I tried playing this a few months ago on PS3. I was having fun, but the performance just made it so awful. I picked it up to play on Series X backwards compatibility. The gameplay is serviceable. It's almost great in its own little way of being easy to digest and arcade-like in design. It's the story, dialogue and characters that are brilliant. It's so bad it's good and I really mean it as a huge compliment. It's just fucking dumb and stupid, but in all the right ways and it's just hilarious. I laughed a lot playing this game and it will stick with me for many years. Awesome. Simply awesome.

It's been a good month.

Tranquil

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Played through this for the second time, fun game, enjoyed it more on the first playthrough.
Halo 4 - Loved it, have to admit Cortana was kind hot in this one, honestly.
Fallen Order - Played through for a second time, thoroughly enjoyed it, looking forward to a 3rd play through in the near future.
Halo Reach - Really loved this one, probably my favorite Halo game I've ever played, still need to play Halo 5 and see how that compares.
Dead Space 3 - Did not like this, the first half was a fun game, then the second half came and all the enemies turned into bullet sponges and every enemy encounter just felt exhausting.
Uncharted 1 - Played through a second time, it was good game, not much to say about it.

AndrewRyan

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - Still the great formula I love so much: shooting, strafing and collecting the jingly bolts! The new dash mechanic is great. The DualSense triggers are fantastic. There's something just so damn satisfying about that pulsating trigger on your finger as your rotate around the arena wasting enemies. Weapons could have been better. Story felt like an after-school campaign, can appreciate what they were going for but wasn't a fun journey really. The romantic implications of dating yourself from another dimension kept me thinking they would get-down just to wake up to realize you were by yourself the whole time. Graphics are just an in-your-face delight-fest. Don't think missed an opportunity to show reflections from every surface. The fast loading scene transformations is impressive. Great overall and definitely looking forward to a new-game-plus at some point.

Playing Control now..

Fbh

A Plagues Tale.
Surprisingly great for a smaller scale cienmatic game. The gameplay is a bit on the simplistic side but the world, presentation and story were fun. Looking forward to what they do in the sequel.

Scarlet Nexus
Fun gameplay held back by too much anime bullshit. From the generic characters to the cookie cutter shonen plot to the annoying "bonding with friends" mechanic that seems to almost be obligatory these days. It was still fun but should have focused more on the enjoyable combat system.

Last edited:

laynelane

I've put in enough hours in Skyrim that I should have beaten it and I was initially on point with the main quest but...then there was some bounties that came up, a guard mentioned a cave somewhere, some interesting Daedric artifact quests came up, I bought some houses and had to decorate, adopted some kids, etc.

In short, I can't stop getting side-tracked in Skyrim. Send help.

[Sigma]

God of War(through BC on PS5)

Finally finished this. I forced my way through a lot of it. I didn't care about their relationship much(Kratos and Atreus). The story in the beginning doesn't do much for me but it got better and better about half way through. I think Mimir was one of the highlights. The combat change is ok. Serviceable I guess and I decent way to change things but the gameplay lack any epic scale boss fights that generates any excitement while the other boss fights outside of Baldur just didn't do it for me. A lot of the convenient stuff in way on your way to deliver ash felt tedious and the gameplay(combat) isn't fun enough to me where it doesn't feel like a complete slog at times. Game looks good visually.

Last edited:

skit_data

Beat Uncharted 1 and 2 for the first time again since release. Uncharted 2 is still a stellar game, but Uncharted 1 has a few really bad moments gameplay wise.

Replayed God of War 1 and 2 as well. Fun games, outside of the GOD DAMNED SPINNING PILLARS IN HADES in GoW 1. I was seriously thinking about throwing myself out of a window when I got knocked down for the 71st time. But I beat it, finally.

Last edited:

intbal

Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning

I'm not sure this counts as a new game for me. I've played through the original 3 times in the past. The remaster doesn't add any new content. It was supposed to. But it was released more than a year ago. Recently they said they had a couple more weeks of "finishing up", but still no planned released date for it.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning

I'm not sure this counts as a new game for me. I've played through the original 3 times in the past. The remaster doesn't add any new content. It was supposed to. But it was released more than a year ago. Recently they said they had a couple more weeks of "finishing up", but still no planned released date for it.
How did you enjoy this game? You must have enjoyed it to beat it 4 times no? I just beat Dragon Age Inquisition and the DLCs. Amalur looks interesting to me

Last edited:

DarkTom

I thought I would have not hit the 3 games beaten mark this month, and got 5! The short switch games borrowed from my library really help (though they do not help to focus on more lengthy games, like Hollow Knight).

Steamworld Dig (switch): Good game that is short enough to not overstay its welcome. I am not sure I see what they can do for the sequel, curious and not really feeling it at the same time. 7/10

A Short Hike (Mac):
Really average. It is very short but has a nice art style, though the gameplay lacks polish, especially the flying controls. 5/10

Alex Kidd In Miracle World (switch):
A game from my childhood ! I used to play this on my cousins' Master System II. Of course I never got very far, game is hard and I did not know the continue cheat code. That remake is pleasing visually, has unlimited continues and has a nice graphics switch function ala Halo Anniversary. The game is the exact same gameplay, with its rigid controls and not very precise hitboxes, but it is fun and you get a sense of accomplishment when you beat that Janken castle. 7/10

Wario Ware: Get It Together! (switch):
I don't know if it is the series essence, but each new entry is less enjoyable than the previous one I feel. In this one, you have multiple characters which is a nice tweak, but at the end of the day, it does not change things that much. I think the game is much easier than the GBA one, or the "Gamer" part of Game & Wario. A couple of hours of okay entertainment that are definitely not worthing 40$. 5/10

Sonic Mania (switch):
I thought I would have enjoyed this one more. The intro and first levels are great, with excellent art style, nice music and a classic Sonic gameplay. But then the level design and some boss encounters are too frustrating in the latter levels. A fine game overall, but I still prefer Sonic Advance or Sonic CD. I have weird tastes for Sonic games it seems. 6/10

Last edited:

Ellery

Hades

hades-720x405.jpg

Anyone that recommended this was right. It is a fantastic game and the quality of this game that can last for many hours depending on how completionist you are makes many big budget AAA games that released recently look amateurish.

Filben

Quited on Assassin's Creed 3 for the poor directing and character writing.

Only finished Black Flag instead within three days.

No other games this month. Still playing Outriders and will probably finish this one in December.

Roufianos

Alan Wake and Metroid Dread. Gonna be done with the Pokemon Pearl remake today hopefully then off to finishing the GotG (Game of the Generation) so far which happens to be GotG (Guardians of the Galaxy).

T-Cake

Wolfenstein: The New Order - Platinum trophy no less. I can't believe how easy the Uber difficulty was playing in 999 mode. Yes, it's like cheating but just clearing out rooms by chucking infinite grenades around was sehr fun.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Not much, only Yakuza 4, which I've liked a lot. It's basically more of the same, but I liked having multiple characters, as it's cool to have multiple battle styles and also watching the story unfold from different perspectives.

Rest of the month has been SMT V, and that's still going.

RAIDEN1

Miles Morales that's about it...I was hoping to complete Call of the Sea but I was getting through it very slowly now found out it has been taken off GamePass! Remember folks, you own the back-log, the back-log doesn't own you!

Bartski

Gold Member
- 15 hrs of Elden Ring Network Test shouldn't count but since it's one of the best things that happened in gaming all year it will.
- Darkest Dungeon 2 - after 10+ successful runs and unlocking all character abilities I'm leaving the Early Access version to wait for the full game next winter.
- Exo One. More of an art project than a game but it's awesome, just go try it out you're on gamepass.
- Mortal Shell. Kind of bad in many ways but I enjoyed it

Miles Morales that's about it...I was hoping to complete Call of the Sea but I was getting through it very slowly now found out it has been taken off GamePass! Remember folks, you own the back-log, the back-log doesn't own you!
I always check the departure dates, and then if it's leaving and I like it I add it to my wishlist. It'll be on sale eventually.

I had to rush to beat Haven this month before it got removed.

Cryio

I recently found out using DgVodoo COMPLETELY restores functional, high res, soft shadows to Splinter Cell Double Agent. And then some smart lad figured how to do some HEX edits to allow up to 8K shadow resolution. Even found a way to increase volumetric lighting resolution.

In 15 years I've been playing Splinter Cell Double Agent, the game has never looked better. Hell, it's shadowing system now looks better than Xbox 360 / Series X.

I've also found out the game has 3 different shadowing systems running, depending on area. Some areas have a sun shadow (like the one outside the cruise ship) that ALWAYS looked amazing and was a tease of what the shadowing in the game could be. There are general shadows that affect an entire level. And there are "specific zone" shadows, like inside the tanker in the Artic map that always seem to have functional shadows, whereas most of the game didn't.

Now, using DgVodoo, ShadowTurnOfDegree 200 (for shadow draw distance) and SmoothShadows actually produces high quality shadows everywhere in the game (high quality for 2006 anyway). Using the HEX tweak makes every shadow completely HD, even at 2K rez.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Cyberpunk.

Cheessuz christ, I felt like the game was trying hard to make me not play it. Gameplay in general is pretty fair, I could totally go with my prefered playstyle(netrunner with handgun and sneak support). But the game itself its a mess with a lot of things it "tries" to do but fail miserably. And the hud is crap as fuck as most of time the damage feedback is totally useless and I only notice I took damage when I already on critical condition(the screen goes red and heart pulsing). Also, huge amount of furutistic ads for no particular reason. I felt like the guy behind it was more preocuped with the ads than the game itself. Also the game is way too colorfull for its own good, nothing wrong with color but it does need balance I think. My play with the game ended when one of buyable cars was on full glitch, avoiding me from ever doing the trophy. After that, I just unnistall the game.

RAIDEN1

I always check the departure dates, and then if it's leaving and I like it I add it to my wishlist. It'll be on sale eventually.

I had to rush to beat Haven this month before it got removed.
The only problem with Call of the Sea was the most of the puzzles were obscure, and I got stuck at one point in one of the chapters despite watching a tutorial video which basically made me give up on it, and thought I would come back to it later, but next thing you know its gone...that was the only game apart from Horizon 5 I was checking out in recent weeks! ...but with my Series X arriving in a few days I'll go back to checking out the others...

Draugoth

Gold Member
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Dark Souls Remastered
  • Sekiro
  • Jurassic world Evolution 2
  • Dying Light: Platinum Edition
  • Hades
  • Destroy All Humans Remake
  • Ryse: Son of Rome
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
  • Dead Space 1
  • Dead Space 2
  • Final Fantasy XV

That`s all.

intbal

How did you enjoy this game? You must have enjoyed it to beat it 4 times no? I just beat Dragon Age Inquisition and the DLCs. Amalur looks interesting to me

It might be one of those "you had to be there the first time" games. People who played it eight years ago still love it. I don't know if that's nostalgia or a genuine enjoyment of the game's world and its gameplay mechanics. I haven't detected any recent large uptick in discussion about the game. Possibly suggesting that new players aren't really warming to it like the rest of us did when it was first released.

It's an RPG. But it's really an action game in RPG clothing. The main feature is the combat and the variety of combat builds you can create. There are quests, but they often amount to "Go to X, Kill Y, Return to Me", with some occasional fetch quests and puzzles. If you're looking for something different in terms of lore, design, and art, it will definitely scratch that itch. This is a bright and colorful fantasy world that has its own creatures and societies. It's nothing at all like Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls.

The remaster unlocks the framerate and increases the resolution, but that's pretty much it. They very slightly altered the contrast and saturation of the visuals for some reason, but overall it looks the same. They removed the slight motion blur effect that was in the original. I suppose because they figured it was no longer needed with the game now running at 60hz.

If this is one of those free games on Playstation, you have nothing to lose (if you're on that platform). I can't say what a good price would be for somebody else. I got Re-Reckoning for $20 and I'd say it was worth it. I put a little over 70 hours into my current playthrough, with a bit more finishing up to do. I only got the regular edition, so when the Fatesworn DLC comes out, that will likely be another $10 (probably more since they've spent more than a year on it).

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Guardians of the Galaxy and it was surprisingly good. I enjoyed it even though I'm really not into comic movies.
Quake was a good blast from the past and because of having "full" 3D it aged better than Doom 1&2. I still have the extra missions left to play.
Also I don't think if finishing Diablo 2 Resurrected on normal counts for finishing the game, but I've managed that as well and I hope to invest more time playing on nightmare (hell is probably above my skill) and on playing other classes.

Last edited:
I actually beat a game in November! Divine Divinity! I had been playing it for about 5 years?

I felt I "maxed out" on the game experience about half way through. It took a long time to finish because I was playing with my brother.

Last edited:

Trilobit

All on Switch:
The Touryst
Agent A: A Puzzle in Disguise
Inside

I've had somewhat of an indie month. Haven't played this much in a long time and I've been enjoying these rather short game very much. It's a nice break from long and big budget games as they are very slimmed and filler free.

tylrdiablos

Bit of a weird one but I finished Shadow Complex Remastered (PC).
I spotted a Steam code on eBay for like $2 and couldn't resist. I enjoyed the 4-5 hours it lasted, a bit dated here and there but still good.

Will probably hit up Metroid Dread or Hollow Knight at some point in the near future.

Plantoid

Forza horizon 5
Assassin's Creed odyssey

Damn, Ubisoft always gets me in these black Friday promotions, last one I got immortals, and ended up liking it, so I thought, "why not" ?

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Is there a point where you could consider Horizon 5 "beaten"?

Also, is there going to be a revival of ye olde "56 games in 56 weeks" threads come January 1? I'd take that challenge (and fail).

Y0ssarian

Banned
It might be one of those "you had to be there the first time" games. People who played it eight years ago still love it. I don't know if that's nostalgia or a genuine enjoyment of the game's world and its gameplay mechanics. I haven't detected any recent large uptick in discussion about the game. Possibly suggesting that new players aren't really warming to it like the rest of us did when it was first released.

It's an RPG. But it's really an action game in RPG clothing. The main feature is the combat and the variety of combat builds you can create. There are quests, but they often amount to "Go to X, Kill Y, Return to Me", with some occasional fetch quests and puzzles. If you're looking for something different in terms of lore, design, and art, it will definitely scratch that itch. This is a bright and colorful fantasy world that has its own creatures and societies. It's nothing at all like Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls.

The remaster unlocks the framerate and increases the resolution, but that's pretty much it. They very slightly altered the contrast and saturation of the visuals for some reason, but overall it looks the same. They removed the slight motion blur effect that was in the original. I suppose because they figured it was no longer needed with the game now running at 60hz.

If this is one of those free games on Playstation, you have nothing to lose (if you're on that platform). I can't say what a good price would be for somebody else. I got Re-Reckoning for $20 and I'd say it was worth it. I put a little over 70 hours into my current playthrough, with a bit more finishing up to do. I only got the regular edition, so when the Fatesworn DLC comes out, that will likely be another $10 (probably more since they've spent more than a year on it).
Thanks for your detailed reply! I can snag a copy for $20 AUD (Xbox). I will think about it, based on having had to have been there the first time.

Last edited:

ButchCat

Little Nightmares II. I haven't enjoyed playing a game at this level for a very long time. I'm surprised this game is not talked about more here. Yes, it suffers from changing the rules too often that it ends up suffering from trial and error but it's still a fantastic game. Games like this are a dying breed and for those on the fence you should go ahead and pick it up already.

Top Bottom