• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gamescom 2021 |OT| The ♥ of gaming

Im speechless with these awards. Lol

dokev for me up to now , reminded me of a dreamcast game , if dreamcast was on a number dm4 by now ,that wuld make a fkin amazing launch game. awesome.

just rewinding to check tmnt,, love em.

just hope they have a few over the top voice overs like the arcade , and not just that cheesy music.... *gulp* shredders revenge , don't let us down..

Damn this is some truth right here. Didn't dawn on me until you mentioned it but yeah it really feels like it'd be a SEGA 1P "Dreamcast 4" type of game if they still made consoles. Which basically would be a perfect reality for me and I'm sure lots of others.

The new TMNT game they showed also looks really cool. April's kinda thicc ;)

i swear i got an immediate , old school , rush n buzz from it , just what a game should be , hope it is filled with secrets and exploration, could be a classic.

defo a nintendo or dreamcast esq , launch title game,, fk knows why lol.

loved it.

Damn straight; I love seeing that kind of creativity at that level of budget & polish. Definitely strong Nintendo & old-school SEGA vibes (I'd say up to 7th gen) vibes there.

Sifu and midnight fight express are the best we've seen tbh

Liked those games too but Sifu's a known thing at this point. Can't say they were my personal favorites tho (that honor goes to Dokev)

Solid show. Geoff always delivers something nice even if not every game is for me; can't wait to see him at TGA.

Same; what were some people honestly expecting if they're calling this a waste of time? Just from what stood out to me, Vanguard campaign footage, Dokev trailer & gameplay, TMNT and the new Halo-themed Elite controller made this a pretty good event IMO. Not to mention some of the other things they showed off and revealed like the new Saint's Row (I hope it's still as crazy and raunchy as previous games and doesn't try cloning GTA in tone, which the trailer thankfully seems to show they won't), etc.

Big improvement from the Summer Games Fest show back in June (and E3 for that matter; Microsoft and Nintendo were the main saving graces of those (mainly Microsoft IMO)). Genuinely interested in the TGA again for the first time in like a decade.

Ahh, anyways....
Someone should tell them there were plenty of bad gaming shows in the '90s and '00s as well (and I happen to prefer retro games and can say that, mainly 'cuz I'm catching up on tons of games I missed out on when they came out).

Someone should also tell them that gaming shows don't and never have had any impact or correlation to the quality of the games featured. The Jaguar had a so-bad-its-good infomercial, didn't suddenly makes most of those games any better.

Last edited:
Everything is black woke women.
Death Stranding now has a jetpack...
Saint's row is no longer about whores but about fortnite
Dearest rofif. You were so hopeful, with your excited little post showing your proud little picture frame of the past Saints Row game. You still remembered the good times the game gave you, even with the flaws, you said. I came back to see your reaction... I'm sorry I can'tHAHAHAHAAH!!!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dearest rofif. You were so hopeful, with your excited little post showing your proud little picture frame of the past Saints Row game. You still remembered the good times the game gave you, even with the flaws, you said. I came back to see your reaction... I'm sorry I can'tHAHAHAHAAH!!!
I mean... I will give it a chance but I am clearly not a target audience for this reboot...
And if fan is not a target audience for reboot... then WTF :p

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Cult of the Lamb looks up my alley. Midnight Fight Express seems like it could be a modern revamp of the Double Dragon style games - but also looks repetitive. The TMNT brawler looks great for kids.

Mechanically CoD looked fine and exciting as usual. Not sure what to make of that Halo reveal - is that character going to be the host, for lack of a better word, for the multiplayer?

Reactions: MrS
I've said it before and I'll probably keep saying it, I'm not a fan of game awards but these truly are the most ridiculous I've ever seen. I don't see how they can be anything but paid averts for these particular games, maybe not for actual money but lets wait and see how many of the announced winners end up with Geoff doing some sort of exclusive sponsored advertising masquerading that masquerades as an exclusive showing or some such crap.

I'm back!
Saw this on YouTube and it's understandably being killed in the comments.

I was going to have a look at and post the others but this went up over four hours ago pretty much as soon as it the winner was announced but they've not bothered to post any of the other award winners yet for some reason. 🤷‍♂️

Everything is black woke women.
Death Stranding now has a jetpack...
Saint's row is no longer about whores but about fortnite

I know most ppl jest and overreact but jesus every game now has to have a female main character or else it triggers a small percentage of people. Seriously, gaming never fucking learns. Instead of having diverse castings, they always focus on one thing. Yes having only white males was exaggerated but now we're doing the exact opposite with women, especially black women. Ridiculous, and as expected, the show was meh. Almost dead year for games and if covid does not fucking sit its ass down, I fear 2022 may as well be the same. Why even have a fucking show when you're going to show the gameplay at a later date? Firaxis you fucking idiots.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I missed the bit about Saint's Row (left the video running while I heated up dinner) and went back to watch it. eesh. I get wanting to chase that massive Fortnite crowd and the same kind of potential marketing deals, but that felt like if Sony dropped a new surprise trailer about an anime-styled teenager in a sick neon turtleneck with a magic bow and rapping animal companion and at the end the titles appeared "God of War - Bifrost Boogey". Just so different in tone and style and seemingly devoid of the gallows, edgy humor.

The new Jurassic Park looked exactly like the first to me. Unless I missed something it looked like the same game I completed late last year, only a tad brighter.

Aenima

I was going to have a look at and post the others but this went up over four hours ago pretty much as soon as it the winner was announced but they've not bothered to post any of the other award winners yet for some reason. 🤷‍♂️
Just dumb awards to generate hype for key games that are not even out.

Syberia won best PC game over Elden Ring
Elden Ring won best Playstation game
Mario + Rabbids won Best Switch game

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Same; what were some people honestly expecting if they're calling this a waste of time? Just from what stood out to me, Vanguard campaign footage, Dokev trailer & gameplay, TMNT and the new Halo-themed Elite controller made this a pretty good event IMO. Not to mention some of the other things they showed off and revealed like the new Saint's Row (I hope it's still as crazy and raunchy as previous games and doesn't try cloning GTA in tone, which the trailer thankfully seems to show they won't), etc.

Big improvement from the Summer Games Fest show back in June (and E3 for that matter; Microsoft and Nintendo were the main saving graces of those (mainly Microsoft IMO)). Genuinely interested in the TGA again for the first time in like a decade.
Yep and Geoff tempered expectations at the very beginning when talking to Bosman about what to expect from the show. Even then, we still got some nice updates and game announcements I wasn't expecting. Better structured and paced this time around for sure. Seems like all the 2022 and beyond announcement titles are being saved for TGA going by his wording, too.

Kenpachii

I know most ppl jest and overreact but jesus every game now has to have a female main character or else it triggers a small percentage of people. Seriously, gaming never fucking learns. Instead of having diverse castings, they always focus on one thing. Yes having only white males was exaggerated but now we're doing the exact opposite with women, especially black women. Ridiculous, and as expected, the show was meh. Almost dead year for games and if covid does not fucking sit its ass down, I fear 2022 may as well be the same. Why even have a fucking show when you're going to show the gameplay at a later date? Firaxis you fucking idiots.

we need a updated version of this

3b492751d74be18909075a318e2137f2.jpg

I've heard the next gta got the spice girls as the main protagonist's,..... kick butt girls!!

oh guys play games mainly? aww shit...

hard shit guys lol.

girl power! *puff*

(some people make female avatars whom are big n a different colour , it isn't weird...) ;P

one love all.

Last edited:
Yep and Geoff tempered expectations at the very beginning when talking to Bosman about what to expect from the show. Even then, we still got some nice updates and game announcements I wasn't expecting. Better structured and paced this time around for sure. Seems like all the 2022 and beyond announcement titles are being saved for TGA going by his wording, too.

Really can't wait for TGS, a lot of companies are gonna go big for that one. And yeah, for future shows Geoff and his production team should stick to the format and pacing they had for ONL. There could always be some improvements here and there but what they've got right now is quite good foundation-wise.

Saints woke is the disappointment of the show.

How was it woke? Please tell me you have some good evidence to back this up. I'm just glad there's a new installment coming.

Really can't wait for TGS, a lot of companies are gonna go big for that one. And yeah, for future shows Geoff and his production team should stick to the format and pacing they had for ONL. There could always be some improvements here and there but what they've got right now is quite good foundation-wise.

How was it woke? Please tell me you have some good evidence to back this up. I'm just glad there's a new installment coming.

I normally don't respond to reeee people, but check out the saints row thread here with quotes from the dev. It will be right up your alley.

Exoil

Watching IGN and the Future Games Showm, ONL from yesterday and the Xbox showcase the only thing that happens is that I start to wonder, what happened?

What happened to gaming? How in hell can there be so many indie developers making crappy looking games? Who buys them? Who wants them? How does the hosts for the shows manage to muster up the strength to act hyped up for a game like To the Rescue, Salt and Sacrifice and all the other yawn inducing games?

Where are the blockbuster games? Is there a show at Gamescom I've missed where they'll show us the juggernauts of games?

Top Bottom