• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesIndustry.biz presents… The Year In Numbers 2022.

cormack12

Gold Member
28% console vs 21% PC? Perhaps because PC isn't segmented into different brands?
I was looking at the $2.3b browser and PC bundled in together. I know games track cheaper on PC generally but compared to $50b console and $90b mobile

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Good job at least one of the companies is making new games rather than remakes and reboots all the time.
Well done Microsoft
Now sequels don't count either?

The Wire Reaction GIF

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I really don't think you want to warrior up with MS vs Sony in 2022, dude.

As others pointed out, Ghostwire Tokyo is the fourth game. If you want to dig up another game that Microsoft released in 2022 then feel free, otherwise seems obvious that the answer is Grounded.

Haha, you're completely right. MS got steam rolled in 2022 and If it hasn't lit a fire up Microsoft ass for 2023 then I think there's just no point in them being in gaming anymore lol.

I have big hopes for 2023...let's see what happens.

Ghostwire Tokyo was the only game released from Bethesda this year and GI says that stat includes Bethesda.

Again we don't know what they included, so we can't assume Grounded is the 4th game. It could be, but without knowing what they count we can't be sure.

It's probably the only issue with the report (other than lack of sales numbers but that for obvious reasons, likely the same why NPD won't give them) otherwise the report is great.

Topher

Gold Member
Again we don't know what they included, so we can't assume Grounded is the 4th game. It could be, but without knowing what they count we can't be sure.

It's probably the only issue with the report (other than lack of sales numbers but that for obvious reasons, likely the same why NPD won't give them) otherwise the report is great.

It isn't like there are any alternatives, my man. This is the list, in its entirety, of new releases published by Xbox and Bethesda in 2022.

As Dusk Falls
Pentiment
Grounded
Ghostwire Tokyo

If Microsoft or Bethesda published another game then I think we would know about it.

It isn't like there are any alternatives, my man. This is the list, in its entirety, of new releases published by Xbox and Bethesda in 2022.

As Dusk Falls
Pentiment
Grounded
Ghostwire Tokyo

If Microsoft or Bethesda published another game then I think we would know about it.

Depends on what is counted as "new" Ip, if that includes say a licensed new edition based off a game engine, or branded content in minecraft then maybe not. Especially since if Ghostwire counts that was already a released game IP before MS published it.

Pedro Motta

Microsoft delivering the new ip and only one game less than Sony in 2022...is that right?

Amazing sales for God of war when you consider when it launched.

Horizon loving those year long bundles in the UK. What percentage of players completed horizon I wonder? All I've heard from the podcasts I listen to is everyone ripping it lol. Everyone knows my stance on that game though. I wouldn't play through it myself. Gonna fire it up over Xmas just as a tech demo though.
You just can’t help yourself…

Topher

Gold Member
Depends on what is counted as "new" Ip, if that includes say a licensed new edition based off a game engine, or branded content in minecraft then maybe not. Especially since if Ghostwire counts that was already a released game IP before MS published it.

None of that applies here. There are only four games that meet the criteria and I posted them. Nothing more to say.

Last edited:
None of that applies here. There are only four games that meet the criteria and I posted them. Nothing more to say.

Except if the Criteria is "only" published my MS, than yes, Ghostwire is put into question with the other games that muddy that criteria because it wasn't a new IP originally and XGS published later.

Either way it doesn't really matter, what does is they published 4 new IP in whatever definition GI/Biz uses. Congrats to MS.

Last edited:

sachos

KU1DdHU.png

holy fuck ..

next gen probably gonna be primarily digital with optional physical disc add-ons across the board at this rate.
Thats taking into account PC. Console is more like 70/30, and thats including Xbox that is way more digital than PS/Switch.

mckmas8808

Banned
Woah woah, wait a minute.
Pay attention to digital vs physical split.

They're pitting all physical revenues (e.g. boxed games) against all digital revenues - the latter of which includes DLC and microtransactions on console, PC, AND mobile. It's a useless stat.

The more useful figure is the specific console digital game vs physical game split.

28% physical, still. The digital rational when it comes to actual game sales seems to have leveled off, because this isn't much different from the last 2-3 years. Just to be clear, 10 billion dollars were still generated by physical. Which is pretty incredible considering they're only available on 28% of the market (consoles)

You also have to imagine that it's very game specific. Annual/multiplayer stuff? Supermajority digital. If it's single player titles like Horizon: Forbidden West, the rational is probably a lot more balanced.

Literally, NO company does it the way you want it, because it'll kill the "narrative" that many are pushing. But you're right. Physical revenues are still high, giving the new age that we're in.

Top Bottom