• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Elden RIng's no longer the best selling game in the US for 2022. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II has dethroned it.*

*Gamespot makes the call but the article doesn't appear to be confident on the certainty of the call.

https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articl...y-exciting-year-to-come-in-2023/1100-6509916/
Elden Ring is no longer 2022's best-selling game in the United States. Activision's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II has surpassed Elden Ring to become the "best-seller" overall for 2022 so far, according to the NPD.

Modern Warfare II was the best-selling game in the US for both October and November in terms of dollar sales, and it is now the "best-seller" for 2022 year-to-date. The NPD didn't say if this "best-seller" designation pertains to dollar sales, unit sales, or both. But the NPD tells GameSpot that Modern Warfare II enjoyed a successful launch beyond what it originally modeled.

In June, NPD predicted that Elden Ring would outsell Modern Warfare II and finish 2022 as the best-selling premium game in the US. This seemingly is not going to happen, with Modern Warfare II already pacing ahead of Elden Ring. The original prediction was for dollar sales, NPD's Mat Piscatella told GameSpot. "It's not that Elden Ring hasn't performed incredibly well (it certainly has), it's just that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II has vastly exceeded my initial expectations," he explained.

If Elden Ring can somehow squeeze ahead of Modern Warfare II in December, it would mark just the third time since 2009 that a Call of Duty franchise game did not end the year as the top seller. That probably won't happen, though, as Call of Duty games tend to perform well at the holidays. Elden Ring probably will, too (it did just win Game of the Year!), but Call of Duty is unquestionably a bigger, better-known franchise.

While GS is kind of jumping the gun and pulling back and the same time here, I do believe it is highly likely that COD:MWII will become if it hasn't already, be the best selling game in the US for 2022.

MWII has made a lot of money and has been selling steadily with probably some December deals to come. It's also a much bigger deal on the systems its out in and generally sales a lot of stock from launch until the end of the year. Even the games that didn't do well that had people thinking the franchise was on its way out sold a crap ton compared to other games but MWII is a record breaking.

It seems though that NPD is being a bit dodgy with being direct on what metric MWII is the new best-seller though I believe it's for dollar sales AND units personally.

I find it slightly annoying that NPD continues to act more and more as if they are a Microsoft owners company with how they don't give direct answers and avoid giving us solid numbers and now they aren't even giving us a clear answer on dollar sales based on what they told Gamespot, but I don't think it would surprise anyone if MWII beat Elden Ring on both metrics by Dec 31st if it already hasn't.

Mr Hyde

RIP From Software. You had a good run. Pouring one out for the homies.

40Oz Pour One Out GIF

Duchess

Amazing. The game's root mechanics haven't changed in well over 10 years, yet people bought it in their droves. You could tell them that it's the same game they've played before, just with a fresh coat of paint, and some minor new features, but they'll still slap down their money to get themselves a copy anyway. The designers know they don't need to change a thing, since people will take one look at it, and go all in. They'll be farting out the same bullshit in a few years time, so expect a repeat performance in the charts. What a complete farce.

And don't get me started on Modern Warfare.

Beechos

God damn theres no slowing this juggernaught. Also keep in mind cod was just released like a month and elden ring at the start of the year.

MadPanda

Banned
Amazing. The game's root mechanics haven't changed in well over 10 years, yet people bought it in their droves. You could tell them that it's the same game they've played before, just with a fresh coat of paint, and some minor new features, but they'll still slap down their money to get themselves a copy anyway. The designers know they don't need to change a thing, since people will take one look at it, and go all in. They'll be farting out the same bullshit in a few years time, so expect a repeat performance in the charts. What a complete farce.

And don't get me started on Modern Warfare.

It's not the same game as they play differently from a developer to a developer and that's why every cod sells differently. If you played you'd know this but you don't and still find yourself relevant to comment on this.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The most popular game franchise sells the most each year, and this year is no exception.
Meanwhile on Gaf:
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Duchess

It's not the same game as they play differently from a developer to a developer and that's why every cod sells differently. If you played you'd know this but you don't and still find yourself relevant to comment on this.
My comment is sarcasm that the Soul-like formula has largely remained the same since Demon's Souls, back in 2009.

Shame but still incredible for FROM. People need to remember this is a record breaking year for modern warfare as well. Almost any other year elden ring would have been number 1

Fredrik

X for doubt until Activision Blizzard and Bandai Namco post their own figures for both digital and physical on all store fronts. NPD cover 65(?) percent of the physical market and estimates and extrapolate to get their totals.

• Triggered
Reactions: M16

Shubh_C63

Insane that Elden Ring kind of game even came close to rival CODMW2 for that throne. Could you imagine this when everyone was hyped over Dark Souls 1

Goalus

Weren't 4/6 of the nominees safe sequels that didn't tread new ground? Are you saying that Stray was robbed?
Grounded was robbed, that's for sure.
I cannot take this charade seriously ever since they completely ignored Forza Horizon 5 last year.

Boneless

I have mw2 and it's a nice snack that I am enjoying. Elden Ring however was a beautiful five course meal that I will remember forever.

Last edited:
Modern warfare 2 is really good, well deserved. I like the game a lot.

Modern Warfare II.

Modern Warfare 2 is the other insanely popular best selling game.

Grounded was robbed, that's for sure.
I cannot take this charade seriously ever since they completely ignored Forza Horizon 5 last year.

Didn't Grounded technically come out last year though even if the full release was this year?

S0ULZB0URNE

After MS owns call of duty. They will have the top selling game every year. This will definitely irk many certain users here. Can't wait to see the responses
It is top selling in NA.
IF they get the rights I expect the sales to go down as many will just rent the game via GP.(at least that's the spin I expect from you types)

Last edited:
#1 Game Every Single Year
Best Selling Game for like 20 Years

And yet....we are supposed to believe that Microsoft owning this property doesn't have the potential for an enormous shift in consumer habits? Even if CoD remains on Playstation, the ability for MS to woo gamers into switching to Xbox as their primary console because CoD is on GamePass would have a humongous impact on the industry and the second-and-third level effects of a shift in the ecosystem.

Last edited:

wipeout364

#1 Game Every Single Year
Best Selling Game for like 20 Years

And yet....we are supposed to believe that Microsoft owning this property doesn't have the potential for an enormous shift in consumer habits? Even if CoD remains on Playstation, the ability for MS to woo gamers into switching to Xbox as their primary console because CoD is on GamePass would have a humongous impact on the industry and the second-and-third level effects of a shift in the ecosystem.
I don’t think anybody thinks it won’t cause a shift. I mean that is the point of the acquisition. The question is why should they not be allowed to acquire them as they have been second or third place in the market every generation. If they were the dominant market leader I would say no but they are not and will not be this generation even if they do acquire Activision.

I don’t think anybody thinks it won’t cause a shift. I mean that is the point of the acquisition. The question is why should they not be allowed to acquire them as they have been second or third place in the market every generation. If they were the dominant market leader I would say no but they are not and will not be this generation even if they do acquire Activision.

And if long-term it causes them to be a strong #1 because in the future CoD is so much better of a value proposition and Microsoft has the ability to subsidize their GamePass costs from being a huge tech company that is causes other competitors to significantly deteriorate and erode and ultimately leading to worse first party and third party games because other devs can't compete on an equal footing?

That's the biggest risk. Those that say it can't happen are short sighted.

wipeout364

And if long-term it causes them to be a strong #1 because in the future CoD is so much better of a value proposition and Microsoft has the ability to subsidize their GamePass costs from being a huge tech company that is causes other competitors to significantly deteriorate and erode and ultimately leading to worse first party and third party games because other devs can't compete on an equal footing?

That's the biggest risk. Those that say it can't happen are short sighted.
It could happen, it could also be that COD goes into decline due to being only on Xbox and mismanaged by Microsoft as Halo was. Maybe Microsoft gets a small bump that brings them up to PlayStation levels to be a better competitor. You can what if all day if you want about possible outcomes.

In the end it comes down to does this create a monopoly that is bad for the market at the time of acquisition and in the near future. The answer is absolutely not as Microsoft is so far behind Sony’s dominance of the market and has agreed to keep COD multi platform for the next several years.

In the end it comes down to does this create a monopoly that is bad for the market at the time of acquisition and in the near future. The answer is absolutely not as Microsoft is so far behind Sony’s dominance of the market and has agreed to keep COD multi platform for the next several years.

I would argue that it does have the potential to cause a long-term monopoly. Microsoft would have by far the biggest property in gaming, potentially on a Sub Service and gaming may eventually only be run through a Sub Service.

The magnitude of the acquisition is too hard to ignore.

Top Bottom