• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: History of Borderlands

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Few games have promised and then delivered as much mayhem as Borderlands, the loot ‘em up from Gearbox Software. With the release of its spin-off, Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands, we decided it was time to take a look back, so here’s the History of Borderlands.

Since 2009, Gearbox Software's Borderlands series has been full to the brim with explosions, quirky characters, mountains of loot, and of course, hundreds of thousands of guns to collect. With the release of the latest spin-off, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, we thought it was a perfect time to look back on how Borderlands was made, and the impact the series has had on the world of gaming.

Borderlands launched shoulder to shoulder with juggernauts like Uncharted 2, Halo 3: ODST, and Modern Warfare 2 in 2009, but was a surprise hit, meaning that sequels and spin-offs, and pre-sequels weren't far behind. Borderlands was a juggernaut, with players loving its humor, gameplay, as well as mixing and matching the abilities of the playable Vault Hunters. From Handsome Jack to series mascot Claptrap, there's been no shortage of quotable and lovable Borderlands characters. The series also experimented with Tales from the Borderlands, a narrative adventure game made by Telltale Games in collaboration with Gearbox.

In our Tiny Tina's Wonderlands review, Darryn Bonthyus gave the game 7/10, saying that the game is an easily digestible adventure with fantasy flavor, but struggles to find its own identity. For more on Borderlands and Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, make sure you subscribe to GameSpot.

You mean, FPS with sponge enemies that make shooting boring instead of fun? I know some people like Destiny or whatever.

Why so much hate in that heart of yours

Good Night Reaction GIF

Because there are no other coop games like Borderlands in the last 30+ years of my life you googoohead and I'd love other companies to give me something similar with maybe a serious story. Destiny is a good example tho.

JonSnowball

My favourite Borderlands memory is Gearbox stealing the artstyle whole sale from an independent short film as the game had a generic art style and they wanted something new.
I was contacted by Gearbox prior to the re-design of the game – in 2008. They asked me if I would be interested to direct/design some cut-scenes for them. We exchanged a few emails but the project didn't materialize in the end. I didn't think much of it at the time – until I saw the final game in 2009.
To be absolutely clear – I have never created or designed anything for Gearbox or Borderlands. Gearbox saw my work and decided to reproduce it – make it their own – without my help or my consent. The hardest part for me when this happened was understanding why they wouldn't ask me directly. We were already talking about doing some work together – it made no sense.
- Ben Hibon

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Name 3 other coop first-person looter shooters with a story in the last 10 years. If you can't, delete your gaf account.

You dont even need to limit it to loot shooters. There arent a lot of proper story mode coop shooters at all. Halo is one of the only other ones. Destiny for me might qualify, but things like COD or Apex is not what we are talking about here.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
You dont even need to limit it to loot shooters. There arent a lot of proper story mode coop shooters at all. Halo is one of the only other ones. Destiny for me might qualify, but things like COD or Apex is not what we are talking about here.
Cold war zombies is 100% worth it

Top Bottom