• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: NFTs in Gaming: What It Means

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In this video, DeVante breaks down NFTs and what they could mean for the gaming industry going forward following the release of Ubisoft Quartz.

On December 7th, 2021, Ubisoft announced its first project in the NFT space titled Ubisoft Quartz. And while this isn’t the first time NFTs and games have crossed paths, it is the first time a AAA studio has entered the fray--and it most likely won't be the last.

In this video, DeVante gives a brief explanation about what NFTs are, where they’ve shown up in gaming and what it could mean for gaming once more publishers follow Ubisoft’s lead.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't think it will happen in full scale over night anyway, but if for some reason and somehow this shit starts to saturate and undermine the market full scale (which is already saturated with MTX in some part as it is) then I'll just be quietly moving on and shifting some of my time over to my several other hobbies. Not a threat, I'm not delusional, I'm just saying that I for one am not gonna be a part of this unless some kind of fucked up sudden epiphany.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I love how people just ignore the fact that the Steam marketplace has existed for all these years without any of this "NFT" crap.

How to dress up a scam 101.
Reminds me of people hiking up the price of "collector" games or yu gi oh cards.

NFT technology is the future. People hardly understand it and just write it off as just the next step of MTX. Hint, it’s not. It’s actually a positive for gamers and gives value back to consumers. But, as with all things, it can be used in dumb ways.

Last edited:

TexMex

I hate the concept, but when people respond to the ongoing NFT conversation with “omg wtf! So dumb to pay that for a picture of a monkey!” it makes me think they have at most a very surface level, meme understanding of what is a pretty complex topic.

If you've lived long enough, you know the hollow trends and scams when you see them. Same things, different forms.
Can you explain how, even in this scenario, it’s a scam? Even assuming a company sold a skin for a character as an NFT and you bought it, how is that a scam for you? People buy skins now and what happens once you do? It gets locked to your account and you can use it on your character. At least with an NFT, you can re-sell it you feel it is no longer valuable to you and assuming there is a demand for it. So you get an additional actual tangible asset you can move around in the future. Even in the instance of Ubisoft’s crappy version where they won’t allow you to profit off the likeness, you can at least sell it. This isn’t something you could do before and only adds value to digital purchases you are currently making.

Those digital games you buy that get locked to your account and go unused. Eventually there will be a used game market for those digital games. Why? Because you’ll be able to track ownership of it via the blockchain.

All an NFT is, is a method of attributing ownership to a digital item. There are a ton of ways this can be used. Some dumb. But others will be groundbreaking and will change how you interact with the digital world. Anyone who thinks this is a fad is part of the same group who thought the internet was a fad.

Fredrik

Has anyone actually made money from reselling an NFT
If someone has bought a silly NFT picture for $1 million then someone has made $1 million selling a silly NFT picture.

The whole thing is messing with my head, I’ve been drawing my whole life, published art on internet trying and failing to break through and has given up completely, feels weird to think that all it takes now is some silly NFT ”art”.

To dig deeper. What does NFT actually bring to the world? If people can become rich doing nothing, if they don’t need to educate themselves and find a job and make a career, what will happen to the world?
I can see lots of bad stuff coming from this to be honest. Becoming rich from Youtube is strange enough for me but at least then someone is doing some kind of video production that might be entertaining for people to watch.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
NFT technology is the future. People hardly understand it and just write it off as just the next step of MTX. Hint, it’s not. It’s actually a positive for gamers and gives value back to consumers. But, as with all things, it can be used in dumb ways.
Can you please elaborate?

1. How is NFT the future? Not just in the gaming industry, but I assume you're talking about in general?
2. How will this be a positive for gamers?
3. How does it give value back to consumers? (trading?)
4. Potential dumb ways?

I'm trying to learn about this, so I'm genuinely curious. Thank you in advance.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If someone has bought a silly NFT picture for $1 million then someone has made $1 million selling a silly NFT picture.

The whole thing is messing with my head, I’ve been drawing my whole life, published art on internet trying and failing to break through and has given up completely, feels weird to think that all it takes now is some silly NFT ”art”.

To dig deeper. What does NFT actually bring to the world? If people can become rich doing nothing, if they don’t need to educate themselves and find a job and make a career, what will happen to the world?
I can see lots of bad stuff coming from this to be honest. Becoming rich from Youtube is strange enough for me but at least then someone is doing some kind of video production that might be entertaining for people to watch.
True. I'm also trying to wrap my head around this.

What I've gathered is that there is a perception that this brings value to the virtual world, so perhaps we need to update our understanding of the 'world' and the value it brings because the world now also includes 'virtual world'? Unless, we are living in that virtual world (e.g., Ready Player One), I don't see how effective that path could be. But if we're rapidly reaching to that Ready Player One type virtual destination, then I can see how all this can become super important.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There is nothing to understand.
IT's just a way to prove you own something... it can be whatever.
And it's stupid. You dont need to authorize in blackchain in order to prove anything legit. It's just a stronger authorization method... which also wastes too much energy

Found this article: https://gamingindustry247.com/ubiso...union-asking-ubisoft-to-stop-working-on-nfts/

I can't agree enough with the phrase quoted at the bottom.
Screen-Shot-2021-12-15-at-3.51.17-PM.png

Future of misery indeed.

GeorgPrime

Banned

Just wait for "Valhalla" the NFT Metaverse of Floki. Its kinda like an MMO where Floki is the currency in the game. You can earn Floki by doing Quests, catching pokemon like creatures called "Vera" and doing events. You can catch "Vera" as NFTs and sell legendary Vera on the "Marketplace" to other gamer.

You can conquer islands with your Clan and that enables staking for your Flokis on that island as long as you are in control or do "Raids". To go on raids you need food for traveling, that you can put on your ship. The food can be produced by other players that like "Farming" and who sell their food to the raid players to earn Floki.

You can gather the Floki in the game and use it for other stuff in the game or you can take the floki out to your wallet and earn money with it.

Last edited:
The real answer is that nobody knows yet. But the first one to figure it out will make billions of dollars so there will be a lot of effort put into this.

Blockchain dev here; you can think of NFTs as owning a physical painting. For example, if you own the real mona lisa, no matter what any one else does (takes its photo, photocopies it, redraws it etc.) you will have the original and the world knows this because of the records available. Similarly, the NFT token which lives on the blockchain (usually Ethereum) contains a link to the artwork (which resides on a peer to peer immutable storage network like IPFS); this complete package is listed and sold by a reputable website like Opensea which verifies that the actual artist has sold the artwork to you. Now, even if artist has identical copy of the artwork, the NFT contains the uri of the artwork sold to you, so you are its owner and your ownership of the NFT token + opensea records is proof of this.

Thus, with NFTs, there has arisen a new paradigm of unique ownership of digital goods, without reliance on a central authority but via the blockchain network (i.e., via the NFT tokens which are technically referred to as ERC721 tokens).

Fredrik

Blockchain dev here; you can think of NFTs as owning a physical painting. For example, if you own the real mona lisa, no matter what any one else does (takes its photo, photocopies it, redraws it etc.) you will have the original and the world knows this because of the records available. Similarly, the NFT token which lives on the blockchain (usually Ethereum) contains a link to the artwork (which resides on a peer to peer immutable storage network like IPFS); this complete package is listed and sold by a reputable website like Opensea which verifies that the actual artist has sold the artwork to you. Now, even if artist has identical copy of the artwork, the NFT contains the uri of the artwork sold to you, so you are its owner and your ownership of the NFT token + opensea records is proof of this.

Thus, with NFTs, there has arisen a new paradigm of unique ownership of digital goods, without reliance on a central authority but via the blockchain network (i.e., via the NFT tokens which are technically referred to as ERC721 tokens).
What happens if I upload a digital painting, then someone steal it, flip it horizontally, crop it to remove my signature in the corner, add a line or two just to make it slightly different, then add their own signature in the corner and turn it into a NFT? Would that work?

What happens if I upload a digital painting, then someone steal it, flip it horizontally, crop it to remove my signature in the corner, add a line or two just to make it slightly different, then add their own signature in the corner and turn it into a NFT? Would that work?
If you own an NFT art work, you own it thats it. No matter what anyone else does, you own this particular artwork which the world knows is sold by the original artist via opensea or any other reputable website, and this has its high value. On the otherhand, any one can copy over the digital artwork but its not the one you bought from the artist.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Can you explain how, even in this scenario, it’s a scam? Even assuming a company sold a skin for a character as an NFT and you bought it, how is that a scam for you? People buy skins now and what happens once you do? It gets locked to your account and you can use it on your character. At least with an NFT, you can re-sell it you feel it is no longer valuable to you and assuming there is a demand for it. So you get an additional actual tangible asset you can move around in the future. Even in the instance of Ubisoft’s crappy version where they won’t allow you to profit off the likeness, you can at least sell it. This isn’t something you could do before and only adds value to digital purchases you are currently making.

Those digital games you buy that get locked to your account and go unused. Eventually there will be a used game market for those digital games. Why? Because you’ll be able to track ownership of it via the blockchain.

All an NFT is, is a method of attributing ownership to a digital item. There are a ton of ways this can be used. Some dumb. But others will be groundbreaking and will change how you interact with the digital world. Anyone who thinks this is a fad is part of the same group who thought the internet was a fad.

In what imaginary future universe is a publisher going to allow people to resell the same digital "copy" of a game over and over rather than just selling individual licences to people that are locked to accounts and making the sale of those accounts an offense?

Any implementation of NFTs from these companies is going to be in the interest of making them money, not you. They aren't your friends. Publishers despise the used game market and it's exactly why consoles are moving to an all digital-future. That push isn't being made just so that people can pass on the same copy of a game to somebody.

jaysius

Banned
The REAL answer is this is just another thing for people to ignore next to F2P games, it's just more static for some people to get overexcited and bitch about.

TL;DR: This will be excellent for Gaf fodder.

winjer

Gold Member
It means gaming is now a breading ground for scammers.
We thought EA and Activision were bad. But it's going to get much worse.

Wonko_C

I feel the part from 7:10 has at least some relevance with the topic. Maybe us old farts who grew with physical media, collectibles and shit have a different view of the world than the younger "digital" generations, but I like to think I can keep up with all new tech stuff. It's why I like VR, AR, the metaverse, etc.

Kids don't care for the physical stuff, digital has the same value to them. When Keanu told the kids about the Matrix movie and the answers the kids gave him, it's an eye opener, at least to me.

Last edited:

Fredrik

If you own an NFT art work, you own it thats it. No matter what anyone else does, you own this particular artwork which the world knows is sold by the original artist via opensea or any other reputable website, and this has its high value. On the otherhand, any one can copy over the digital artwork but its not the one you bought from the artist.
So it’s nothing? I already own all my art and can sell it if someone want to buy it. And anyone can already copy my art.

The only way I'll take part in it is if say I buy myself an assassins creed outfit and magically can transfer that to not only ubi games but other publishers games as well. I want my forza horizon avatar to be wearing it. I want the next spiderman to wear it. Solve that ip rights nightmare.

Esppiral

What is NTFS? Is that some kind of trend on the internet about something that has existed since forever but now everyone feels the need talk about because is trendy?

Top Bottom