• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: PlayStation VR2 Players Are Reporting Issues With Their Sense Controllers

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/p...es-with-their-sense-controllers/1100-6511759/
There's no definitive fix at the moment, and Sony hasn't made an official comment yet.

The PlayStation VR 2 has only just launched, but numerous users appear to be experiencing issues with the right Sense controller.

As reported by Eurogamer, a detailed thread has been shared to the PSVR subreddit detailing several issues that appear to be occurring with the right Sense controller for the PSVR 2. "Like a lot of folks on here, I can’t get button presses on my right Sense controller to register in games," explains the poster, mentioning the X and R2 buttons in the head of the thread. The author noted that on the main PS5 menu, there's no issue with the buttons, so it might be a software-specific issue.
The thread lists a range of ways you can potentially fix the issue, starting with the official PlayStation method from the hardware's troubleshooting page, which is to turn the PS5 off, reset both controllers using a pin, plug the right controller into the console, turn the console on again, and pair the left Sense based on the on-screen directions.

Other fixes include things like the classic turning it off and on again, turning feedback off and on again, using a DualSense controller to enter a game while in See Through mode while the VR Sense controllers aren't connected and then turning the Sense controllers on, and literally just button mashing until it works.
Not everyone appears to be experiencing issues with the right controller; some are having problems with the left, in fact, and the issues don't seem to affect every game. Titles like Gran Turismo 7 and Thumper are reportedly totally fine. If you're having any troubles, the thread is repeatedly being updated with new fixes, so keep checking back if you haven't found one yet.
https://lordsofgaming.net/2023/02/widespread-sense-controller-issues-plague-ps-vr2-launch/
If you received your PS VR2 unit today, there is a high likelihood that you are having problems with the Sense controllers. It seems that for some, if not most are reporting a problem with their Sense Controllers right out of the box. The reported problem is that one of the two controllers will not work during gameplay. The controllers work fine in the menu, yet as soon as a game starts one controller will not respond to inputs.

There is a thread over on the r/PSVR Subreddit where some have come to work together in finding a solution. The official PlayStation Support Twitter page, @AskPlayStation has been bombarded with requests on how to repair it.

PlayStation’s support phone line does not open again until 12 PM ET tomorrow, hopefully, they can push a firmware update sometime after that. Their official support page recommends resetting the controller via these instructions here. Although that does not seem to resolve the issue. Some Reddit users were able to fix their issues by trying the following:

If You Have This Problem With Your Sense Controller

From the r/PSVR Subreddit:

I started the console with the DualSense and turned on the headset. At this point, the Sense controllers were off because they had not been touched since the system came on. Using the DualSense, I went into the game I wanted to play with the Sense controllers (Rez). Then, without turning on the the See Through mode, I used the PS button to turn on the right Sense controller. Once it was on, I did the same for the left. I think it is important that I was in the game and not some other screen (like the PS Menu or See Through mode) when I turned on the controllers. Huge thanks to @stlbilly for this crucial detail!

CHAOTIC BUTTON MASHING: Just keep mashing the buttons on the affected controller until they “wake up

“1. Power down ps5 and while off press and hold the power button until the second beep, connect dualsense with usb and press PS button, go to no5, and clear the cache (i have a feeling this is the most important step that fixed it)

1. When ps5 started I shut it down again and repeat the above step but now chose ‘rebuild database’
  1. While sense controllers are off, I reset both of them (with a small pin near L2/R2 buttons), then connected both with 2 cables (one in front, one in back of the ps5) and pressed the PS button on both of them at the same time
  1. Started VR again and now everything works”

I haven't had anything go wrong with mine yet, but I've noticed many people in support sites, social media, and a few on gaming boards are having issues, some aren't detecting anything at all and none of the steps worked.

I find it concerning that Gamestop felt the need to report on it, it may be wider than people think.

Hopefully this is something a Sony update can fix quickly.

Liljagare

Glad to report I had no issues, was worried about this when reading about it on psvr subreddit, but, have had no issues at all, after linking right controller first, as instructed in the setup. But seriously:

"If you received your PS VR2 unit today, there is a high likelihood that you are having problems with the Sense controllers. It seems that for some, if not most are reporting a problem with their Sense Controllers right out of the box. The reported problem is that one of the two controllers will not work during gameplay. The controllers work fine in the menu, yet as soon as a game starts one controller will not respond to inputs."

That's some real crap reporting.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
"Titles like GT7 are totally fine" But GT7 doesn't even use the controllers? Haha. Mine seemed great with my first go at it. Was weird I had to plug each one in and start specifically with the R controller, but everything worked.

New tech is always going to have teething issues, hopefully they're sorted quickly and not widespread. No one enjoys buying a new toy and not having it work correctly.

trikster40

Happened to me. Was playing Star Wars, my right controller wouldn’t detect me hitting Start. Tentacular wouldn’t recognize R2. Did read today there’s some fixes, but hoping they update the firmware soon

damidu

"Titles like GT7 are totally fine" But GT7 doesn't even use the controllers? Haha. Mine seemed great with my first go at it. Was weird I had to plug each one in and start specifically with the R controller, but everything worked.
yeah peak journalism here lol

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
damn luckily i on hold my purchase , guess waiting for the next version model worth it.

RafterXL

The L2 on my left controller was fucked. Every time I pressed it it would move my character forward, like it was activating the analog stick or something, in every game. I also had to reset both controllers before any feedback worked on them, but they seemed fine after.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

TexMex

This is me. My unit will be back with Sony tomorrow and they’re shipping a new one out. Could just run into the same shit of course so who knows, should have the replacement this time next week.

Ok Level 4 PS Stars people, time to make use of our preferred customer service status!

This is actually a thing. Skipped a call queue and they acknowledged it more than once and kept saying thank you for being a level 4 Stars member. Which amounts to nothing of course but I’m down $700 and no unit so they better smooch this booty.

ManaByte

This is actually a thing. Skipped a call queue and they acknowledged it more than once and kept saying thank you for being a level 4 Stars member. Which amounts to nothing of course but I’m down $700 and no unit so they better smooch this booty.
cosmo kramer pimp GIF

Top Bottom