• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot | Spec Ops: The Line Remains The Best Exploration Of Bloodlust In Games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

When Spec Ops: The Line was released in 2012, military shooters were still at the height of their power. Just shy of five years on from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, to make a military shooter during this Imperial Phase was typically presented as an objective search for authenticity draped in the flag of solemn respect for the troops, a dual approach designed to avoid uncomfortable questions around the genre's obeisance to and glorification of the military-industrial complex.

In stark contrast to its contemporaries, Spec Ops refused to shirk uncomfortable questions. It takes for granted that it's a bit f***ed up to enjoy video game violence. Then it goes a step further: It seems to actively despise its own existence. Over the course of its single-player campaign, Spec Ops: The Line is unwavering in its commitment to the idea that not only is the protagonist of a military shooter a psychopath, but that our demand for and enjoyment of them reveals something deeply ugly about our culture.

Developed by German studio Yager Development, who had previously made the sci-fi flight combat game Yager (2003), and published by 2K Games, Spec Ops: The Line tells the story of Captain Martin Walker, the playable character, and his two squadmates, Sergeant John Lugo and Lieutenant Alphonso Adams, a Delta Force team on a recon mission into the heart of sandstorm-devastated Dubai. They are attempting to make contact with Colonel John Konrad, commander of the 33rd Infantry Battalion, who had been leading relief efforts in the city until the storm severed all communication and the UAE government designated Dubai a "no man's land."Konrad's name is an on-the-nose reference to Joseph Conrad, author of Heart of Darkness, the late 19th century novel that critiqued imperialism and provided the inspiration for the Vietnam War film Apocalypse Now.

Walker and company are sent to investigate after a radio message finally emerges from the dust-shrouded city: "This is Colonel John Konrad, United States Army. Attempted evacuation of Dubai ended in complete failure. Death toll... too many." When they arrive, the trio find themselves caught up in a three-way struggle for power between Konrad loyalists, a splinter group of 33rd soldiers who mutinied against Konrad, and the CIA-backed locals trying to drive Konrad--and indeed every American--out of their city. What began as a straightforward rescue quickly becomes more complicated. As events evolve, and facts continue to slip from their grasp like sand between fingers, Walker, Lugo, and Adams try to remind themselves that they must stick to the mission. "Anybody think we should try talking to these guys again? I mean, we did come here to save them," says Adams. But, gradually, as the bodies continue to pile up, inevitably they find themselves unable to discern what that mission is. "Man, we are way past that point," replies Lugo.

As a third-person shooter, Spec Ops adopts many of the gameplay features of the genre. In this sense, it adheres to the formula and resists experimentation. Walker will stick to cover with a press of a button in much the same way as Gears of War popularized some years earlier. Similarly, you aim with left trigger and shoot with right trigger. Holding A sees Walker sprint, B vaults over cover, X hits enemies in melee range, and Y tosses a grenade. Squad commands are minimal and context-sensitive; you can tell Lugo and Adams to prioritize specific targets with the tap of a button, but otherwise they pretty much get on with the job of doing very little and leaving the shooting to you.

Mechanically, it must be said, Spec Ops: The Line is competent but not particularly interesting. Where it is notable, however, is in its narrative and in its critique of the broader medium. That's partly what drew video game critic Brendan Keogh to write a book about it. In 2012, some months after the release of the game, he published "Killing Is Harmless," a 50,000-word critical reading of Spec Ops: The Line. Keogh wrote it to explore how Yager questions why we enjoy video game violence and the way players can consider their own complicity in perpetrating virtual war.

"What I found interesting about Spec Ops wasn't just what it said about video games and violence, but how it said it," Keogh tells me over email, a decade later.

"It can't really be boiled down to any one twist moment like BioShock's 'Would you kindly' moment, but rather it's in how the game systems, visual tropes, and character development slowly shift over the time. An action at the start of the game and the same action at the end of the game can feel radically different because of broader contextual shifts in the narrative and visual presentation."

As Walker, Lugo, and Adams journey deeper into Dubai's "heart of darkness" and their mission dissolves before their very eyes, they begin to fray. Physically, the three of them bear the scars of their experience. Blood stains, torn clothing, and deep wounds are depicted as permanent changes to their character models. Their physical actions become more ragged; melee attacks transform from swift knockouts to brutal pummellings. Likewise, the cool detachment of their early communications boils over into hoarse screams of "Reloading!" and streams of curse-laden epithets. By the end of the game, these men are entirely untethered, not only from their original mission but from reality itself.

"It was these gradual transitions that fascinated me about the game and which I wanted to capture," explains Keogh. "It felt like the only way to do that was to narrate an entire playthrough in a way that drew attention to those subtle transitions and shifts in tone. I definitely didn't have plans to 'write a book about a videogame' before I played it. It was just the right format to explore what I wanted to explore about that game."

Spec Ops arrived at a time when commercial video games, from both major publishers and independent developers, were self-consciously reflecting on the nature of being a video game. Not just BioShock (2007) and its famous "Would you kindly…" line, but games such as Braid, The Stanley Parable, Nier, Far Cry 2, even Portal were exploring what player agency meant in a video game, its strengths and its shortcomings, and the types of experiences the idea engenders. Perhaps more than any of them, Spec Ops: The Line wanted to reject the concept of video games as power fantasy.

Check the link for more.

Thanks mods for the title change

Season 1 Thank You GIF by Sorry For Your Loss

Last edited:

Hugare

TLOU Part II is one of my favorite games of all time, but Spec Ops is still the best at this subject matter

Brilliant storytelling. Mechanicaly the game is meh, but the way the story is told, the peformances ...

Even loading screens changing according to your actions.

Loved my time with it on the PS3, I was thinking on buying it on Steam Summer Sale. Maybe I'll bite the bullet.

Shmunter

Good thing it's a he/him or I just wouldn't take him seriously.

Anyway, someone meaningful from that team will be involved in the Sony Wolverine game I think?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
TLOU Part II is one of my favorite games of all time, but Spec Ops is still the best at this subject matter

Brilliant storytelling. Mechanicaly the game is meh, but the way the story is told, the peformances ...

Even loading screens changing according to your actions.

Loved my time with it on the PS3, I was thinking on buying it on Steam Summer Sale. Maybe I'll bite the bullet.
This makes me more hyped with how this one will turn out…

Sleepwalker

I still need to play this... steam summer sale might be the time. Wish I had a steam deck already for these old games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I remember playing the 360 demo.

Deleted after trying it. Crap game. Never understood the appeal this game got. Didn't look that great, definitely didn't play special either. Then again, this was 360 and the 30 fps shooter days (aside from COD). So maybe on PC, the gameplay and fun was much better at 60+ fps. And the usual dumb as rocks AI. I remember some other dumb stuff like a small ledge and you couldnt just jump down. You had to follow the path before being allowed to descend down.

Last edited:

op22

I have a feeling I won't have as much of a problem dumping white phosphorous on soldiers trying to kill me as this journalist did watching it happen on the
Youtube walkthrough.

op22

There really isn't a choice. You can ignore the white phosphorous and open fire on the soldiers below using conventional arms, but their numbers keep replenishing while your ammo does not. Eventually you will die if you don't use it.
Yep. Do unto others before they do unto you.

"Do you feel like a hero yet?"
"If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here."
As the scene continues you eventually notice that the focus has shifted subtly, or perhaps you only just notice it for the first time, but you realize that you're no longer looking at just targets on a screen. [.....] You realize you're staring at yourself.
Then I leave my guitar behind to symbolize a break with old-fashioned views like not going extinct. Powerful.

CamHostage

I remember playing the 360 demo.

Deleted after trying it. Crap game. Never understood the appeal this game got... Then again, this was 360 and the 30 fps shooter days (aside from COD). So maybe on PC, the gameplay and fun was much better at 60+ fps.

N-n-n-nnnnnooope.

It doesn't get better with technical competency (though maybe SSDs help rid it of the painful loading times... although I've been told loading is importantly bad in the game because the loading screens and the suffering of downtime are part of the experience?) This is a game that was not really designed to be great to play (which, BTW, if you played any of the previous Spec Ops budget-barrel games, you were a little better prepared for at the time.) Where it gets 'good' is after you play the whole thing then go read about it elsewhere and find out about the branching paths you could have taken and all the Heart of Darkness riffs it steals and you forget about playing it and just think of all the smarty things that were in the game that you didn't play but that you could have if you had thought about it at all while playing.

It's a very mediocre and unpolished shooter, as shooters go, but it does seem to strike a certain chord for some people as a better whole experience that the sum of any of its gameplay parts.

(I do disagree with some of the comments about it being ugly, btw. They had nice sparkly-sand technology.)

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Amazing game that got bogged down by sub-par gameplay.

Its setting, atmosphere, level design, story, presentation, voice acting, everything was top-notch. Incredible, one of a kind experience.

Truly a decent into madness.

Top Bottom