• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: What Made Modern Warfare 2019 So Good

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019 was something special, thanks to a gritty campaign, weighty gunplay, open maps, and Warzone. Let’s talk about what made the game so special.

Time Code:
00:00 - 00:26 Intro
00:27 - 08:14 Campaign
08:15 - 13:00 Multiplayer
13:02 - 16:10 Warzone
16:11 - 20:30 Modern Warfare 2
20:21 - 21:26 Audience Questions

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019 by Infinity Ward was a big departure from classic Call of Duty Games. It had a gritty campaign dealing with the impact of modern conflicts at home, introduced large open maps, added weight and heft to its gunplay, and mastered features like Gunsmith, where players built and saved detailed weapon blueprints. MW 2019 had a sandbox-style Ground War mode and also fast competitive modes like Gunfight. The first year of MW 2019 was extremely well planned as a live service game, with the free-to-play battle-royale Warzone launching and hosting memorable events such as The Haunting of Verdansk, a series of mysteries that led up to a rocket launch and even included zombies.
In this video, David and Aaron talk about how MW 2019 was so different from classic Call of Duty games and why that matters. We’ll dig into the campaign and how it put players into scary situations, in some cases with only a few enemies in a level, such as with the well-known Clean House (London) mission. We’ll go over a few places where the campaign did cross the line. We’re also talking about multiplayer and how Infinity Ward's maps are clever at all sizes, as well as the genius of the Warzone map being made up of core maps so that players were already familiar with it when it launched. We go over how the sandbox gave players a lot of tools and then set them free to try things such as using thermal scopes to see through smoke and using Javelin launchers to hit out-of-reach snipers. This game came out at the perfect time to appeal to lapsed Battlefield players and mil-sim fans, although it wasn’t a great fit for all Call of Duty players. Fans of Sledgehammer and Treyarch’s styles grew frustrated with a departure from the three-lane map design, ability to camp, and slower movement. Some fans rebelled when Modern Warfare's beta didn’t include an always-on mini-map, causing Infinity Ward to put it back into the game.

twilo99

This was the first shooter that grabbed my attention since Quake 3.

The team behind this game was very talented and they produced a brilliant game. Lets hope for something similar with MW 2022 but I just don't know if there is all that much room for improvement from 2019.. it will have to be incremental.

rolandss

MW was great, best CoD in years. Solid campaign and awesome multiplayer. And it wasn’t full of cartoony shit with bright pink guns and lasers and all the stuff I hated about previous CoD games online. Then they slowly started to kill it. Monstrous patches that would take a day to download. Confusing multiplayer menus pushing paid dlc and a weird currency system. Warzone, which I have no interest in playing, taking up a crap tonne of storage on my system, and an “data management” system that deleted all the data you needed to actually play multliplayer over and over. By the end the core game I loved in the 6 moths of its launch window was so frustratingly inaccessible I gave up.

funnily enough i booted this up last night and started a ground war match...within minutes i racked up 3 kills, i was loving it....then i got bombed when i wasnt far from spawn, then i respawned and got instantly rocket attacked at my spawn point, respawned walked a few feet forward and got bombed....turned it off lmao.

Shmunter

The team behind this game was very talented and they produced a brilliant game. Lets hope for something similar with MW 2022 but I just don't know if there is all that much room for improvement from 2019.. it will have to be incremental.
It’s the attention to detail that really stands out to me. After long stints of playing Cold War, whenever I went back to MW I was blown away by how gun and character animation is so advanced, death sequences, etc. so much more visceral.

Boss Mog

It was the best CoD in a while but still inferior to 2009's MW2 by a lot.

Even within the gen compared to other FPS games I would rank it below Battlefield 4 and Titanfall 2 which were the two standouts for me.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member

Just better maps at launch and a slightly higher TTK will do for me.

2019 did so much right. MWII is my most anticipated game right now and if someone told me id be saying that a few years ago id have laughed them out of the room.

Last edited:

Shmunter

The only concern I have based on something I saw recently is that Infinity Ward ward saying they made a mistake with large levels and will remedy.

Personally I don’t mind the more realistic environments vs the compressed shoot/die repeat arena cycles.

They should really stick to their convictions since the game was successful

funnily enough i booted this up last night and started a ground war match...within minutes i racked up 3 kills, i was loving it....then i got bombed when i wasnt far from spawn, then i respawned and got instantly rocket attacked at my spawn point, respawned walked a few feet forward and got bombed....turned it off lmao.
That was the one problem I had with Ground War, kill-streaks. They should have turned that off for Ground War mode as it just ended up as a proper spam fest.

With a little more care and effort, something like that would be a good alternative to Battlefield.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Jonathan Ferguson, a weapons expert and Keeper of Firearms & Artillery at the Royal Armouries, breaks down the weaponry of the Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered, including the iconic Barrett M82 sniper rifle, the Winchester M1200 shotgun, Jonathan’s favourite, the MP5SD.

00:00 - Opening
00:45 - Winchester M1200
01:27 - P90
03:10 - G36C
04:30 - M16A4
06:13 - Barrett M82A1
09:28 - M40A3
11:19 - MP5SD
14:23 - Ending

In the latest video in the Firearm Expert Reacts series, Jonathan Ferguson--a weapons expert and Keeper of Firearms & Artillery at the Royal Armouries--breaks down the guns of Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered and compares them to their real-life counterparts.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Mark "Billy" Billingham served in the British SAS for over 17 years. He was responsible for planning and executing strategic operations across the world, and has led countless hostage rescues.

Since leaving the military he has worked as both a celebrity bodyguard, appears on Channel 4's "SAS: Who Dares Wins", "SAS Australia", and has just released his latest book "Survive To Fight".

Today he's joining us to break down and react to Modern Warfare 2019's iconic SAS Clean House mission.

Aure

Banned
Everything about MW2019 is almost perfect. Except for fucking Warzone, i hate that trash.
I still play the game to this day. Mostly TDM, Hardpoint and Infected. Finished another playthrough of the campaign the other day, amazing just like the first time.
The game is a masterful piece of art that set the bar extremely high in the franchise. I pre-ordered MW2022 and i hope it can keep up.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

War… War never changes. Over the course of 16 games, Call of Duty has become one of the world's biggest gaming franchises. Although many players may have their own personal favorites in the series, none is as vastly popular as the Modern Warfare sub series. With the Modern Warfare 2 reboot just around the corner, these are 10 things you didn't know about Modern Warfare 2019.

Stu here to break down the secrets and controversies surrounding the 2019 Modern Warfare reboot. From Santa Claus to giant teddy bears, Infinity Ward went no hold barred into their easter eggs for Modern Warfare 2019. Although Call of Duty Games can get a reputation for being “thrown together” because of their yearly release schedule, the 2019 reboot of Modern Warfare proves that Infinity Ward could put together a new style of Call of Duty game with a well planned year full of map, modes, and weapon releases. The level of detail, fun, and goofy secrets throughout the game elevate the entire experience to something more than just “another Call of Duty game.” In fact, The animations and attention to detail were so well done that both Call of Duty Cold War and Call of Duty Vanguard kept the same animations. It’s been a blast uncovering the intricacies and secrets of development and the controversies and hidden treasures surrounding the game itself.

Top Bottom