• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesRadar "Japanese players are begging for Final Fantasy 16 on Steam after the PS5 price hike"

iHaunter

Any explanation as to why Japan gets the price hike but the US does not? Seems backwards.
Yen is more or less fucked. It's been gradually tanking, along with every currency - in fact the USD is one of the few that's growing. Hence why no price increase in US and decrease most everywhere else.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The game was already announced for PC. Probably 12-18 months from the PS5 launch, which is not a bad wait at all. Baka Japanese gamers.
Was going to say this. But hey if they can get square-enix to release it at the same time then more power to them.

Metnut

I’m sure millions of Japanese people are itching to pay thousands for a PC so they can play Sony exclusives years after release rather than pay a nominal price increase on PS5s which aren’t even in stock yet.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
The thread is literally about Japanese players asking for a PC port.
What, all 10 of them?

I exaggerate, but the whole article is based on a Twatter hashtag trending. Sure, that takes quite a few people to do that but a) it's Twatter and b) it doesn't take that many people.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m sure millions of Japanese people are itching to pay thousands for a PC so they can play Sony exclusives years after release rather than pay a nominal price increase on PS5s which aren’t even in stock yet.

PCs do a hell of a lot more then play PlayStation games. You’re not just paying for that, which makes sense because PS5 barely has any games of it’s own.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
If $50 is the difference between playing a game and not playing a game, I feel as though you have other issues to worry about.
Money GIF

The message to Sony:

wtf japan GIF

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Well going by their sales chart it seems they really don’t care about playing Sony exclusives day one in the first place. They’ll just be playing on Switch (and now PC) most of the time

Or they already have a PC to play new games

Last edited:

Woopah

Well going by their sales chart it seems they really don’t care about playing Sony exclusives day one in the first place. They’ll just be playing on Switch (and now PC) most of the time

Or they already have a PC to play new games
This was confirmed by a presentation Sony Japan gave recently that said PS5 users in Japan play fewer games than other regions but spend more on f2p. Makes sense given the PlayStation lineup in Japan.

Fbh

What if .. and hear me out .. what if many of those people already have semi-modern PC's ?

😯

🙀

What does that or the price increase of the Ps5 have to do with FFXVI though?
The Ps5 exclusivity deal has been known for like 2 year and apparently it wasn't an issue for Japanese gamers until the Ps5 got more expensive?

So the people complaining are either:

- People with neither a PC nor Ps5 that will now spend $1500 on a PC instead of like $450 on a Ps5 (still cheaper than almost anywhere else in the world) because it got a $50 price increase
- People that could afford to have a modern gaming PC and getting a ps5 to play FFXVI on day 1 but can now suddenly no longer do so because it got $50 more expensive?

Don't get me wrong, I think the price increase sucks and I'm not trying to defend it . I just don't get how it relates to FFXVI. If you are a PC gamer nothing has changed, you'll still have to wait 6 months. If you aren't a PC gamer Ps5 is still the cheapest hardware to play FFXVI on.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

You'd be surprised how many people hold onto buying a console until x game comes out, I've done that myself for both PS4 and 360. SX is the only console I've bought in launch window.

I can see people who wanted a PS5 specifically with FFXVI being a little peeved that they have to pay 20% more for the console now and/or have to wait an uncertain amount of months before it comes to PC.

Their prayers will be soon answered. Tonnes of Final Fantasy games are released on Steam, and Square Enix are pleased with the sales results.

It hasn't even been two years, and there's been a shortage, not everyone has been able to get their hands on one. Imagine finally having the chance to get one and it's become more expensive after time instead of going down in price
Yeah, it's a top first world problem that one indeed. Maybe those people will learn to pre order next time and not be waiting years for the console to drop $50. Prices have gone up for everything pretty much all over the world, it's called inflation. Pretty sure energy prices alone are much higher than whatever price hike this console will have, especially when this cost is offset for the duration of 5/6 years of utilization. 🥱

Dzab

Yeah, it's a top first world problem that one indeed. Maybe those people will learn to pre order next time and not be waiting years for the console to drop $50. Prices have gone up for everything pretty much all over the world, it's called inflation. Pretty sure energy prices alone are much higher than whatever price hike this console will have, especially when this cost is offset for the duration of 5/6 years of utilization. 🥱
Weirdly passive aggressive reply.

It doesn't have to be a 'top first world problem' to be annoying or off-putting for some people, by your logic no one should ever complain about anything gaming related since it's not a top world priority.
It makes no difference to me as I have my console, and would have bought one regardless of the price increase but there are people who save up for some kind of enjoyment that are now finding the price increased, it is annoying and I'm not going to justify it or defend it. People save up for things, they budget, they want their pleasure or escape reality - you can't blame them for being frustrated. There are literally selfless struggling parents that save up to buy Christmas gifts for their children; not every situation is the same. It's not increased by much, but for some people it's a problem. Everyone is different. That's all.

Trying to simplify it as just 'learn to preorder duh' is a bit dishonest, and you know that. People were struggling to preorder, sites were crashing, stock was gone and they were competing just to get one, we both know it's not that simple.
Yes, other things are increasing in price, we're all aware, does it make this less annoying? No. No one wants prices to increase, regardless of reason.

they still never put those pixel remasters out on consoles lol. i thought at least switch would get them.
There were people on Steam bitching about how they weren't complete in terms of content. Turns out the PSP version is still the definitive one in terms of content.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Gaben has to send steam decks to Japan on the double. The best chance for PC gaming to finally become a thing in Japan and leave home consoles behind.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Noooo. Sony have increased the price of the PS5! How will I play FFXVI now? I know! I'll spend even MORE money on a gaming rig and beg Square to port the game to PC! What an amazing idea! That'll show Sony!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Noooo. Sony have increased the price of the PS5! How will I play FFXVI now? I know! I'll spend even MORE money on a gaming rig and beg Square to port the game to PC! What an amazing idea! That'll show Sony!

Already been over this..
you could already have a pc and don’t want to spend more money than you already had to on a ps5.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Oh yes, what an insightful take. It’s the gamers’ faults for not pre-ordering a console as early as possible in order to safeguard against price increases. Next time they ought to wise up and buy the console years before the games they want to play are released.

I’m just glad to see these frugal Japanese gamers get punished for their hubris. Serves them right. God bless Jim Ryan for dispensing some tough love, American style.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
they still never put those pixel remasters out on consoles lol. i thought at least switch would get them.
Chrono Trigger isn’t even out on Switch. A Steam Deck would be a great place to play Trigger and those Pixel Remasters too. I would be down for FFXVI on a Steam Deck. I’m also in that place where I played VIIR at launch and had nothing else to worry about. For those that have the console. It’s hard to have empathy for those who don’t. Just consider the priority people have for video games. Whenever I see a public outcry I’m reminded by how much of the game’s exposure is on streaming platforms and YouTube. Who is saying these people crying for another port will even buy the game once it comes out regardless.

ArtHands

The Ps5 exclusivity deal has been known for like 2 year and apparently it wasn't an issue for Japanese gamers until the Ps5 got more expensive?

So the people complaining are either:

- People with neither a PC nor Ps5 that will now spend $1500 on a PC instead of like $450 on a Ps5 (still cheaper than almost anywhere else in the world) because it got a $50 price increase
- People that could afford to have a modern gaming PC and getting a ps5 to play FFXVI on day 1 but can now suddenly no longer do so because it got $50 more expensive?

Don't get me wrong, I think the price increase sucks and I'm not trying to defend it . I just don't get how it relates to FFXVI. If you are a PC gamer nothing has changed, you'll still have to wait 6 months. If you aren't a PC gamer Ps5 is still the cheapest hardware to play FFXVI on.
You can't acquire a PS5 normally in Japan. Either you win a raffle or you pay a scalpers, so reality speaking they will be paying beyond $450 for a PS5 there.

A PC can be a necessity since people can use it for school or work, but a console is a luxury item. Even for people who could afford both, they will find it hard to justify paying several hundred bucks for a PS5 for just 1 game since they can game on their PC/laptop that they will be buying for other uses. Its even harder to justify when you have to pay more for scalper hike and now price hike.

PCs do a hell of a lot more then play PlayStation games. You’re not just paying for that, which makes sense because PS5 barely has any games of it’s own.

Such a weird argument. If you don’t already have a top of the line pc for a specific purpose odds are you wouldn’t use it for anything other than gaming if you got one.

Either way you slice it pc parts are gonna go up also, theres no escaping inflation.

nocsi

You can't acquire a PS5 normally in Japan. Either you win a raffle or you pay a scalpers, so reality speaking they will be paying beyond $450 for a PS5 there.

A PC can be a necessity since people can use it for school or work, but a console is a luxury item. Even for people who could afford both, they will find it hard to justify paying several hundred bucks for a PS5 for just 1 game since they can game on their PC/laptop that they will be buying for other uses. Its even harder to justify when you have to pay more for scalper hike and now price hike.
lol you think building a PC isn’t a luxury thing. It’s expensive AF. As much as people want to tout pc gaming, pc gaming is actually stupid af if you look deeper. People love missing but they presents security vulnerabilities. For years, people playing souls games could have arbitrary code running on their pcs from hackers. Buy a game on pc? Can’t even resell it. Want to build a pc? Components have only gotten more expensive. Pc gamers are the best hacking target since they install anything and everything privileged

I’m a pc gamer that switched back to console. The only time I boot up my pc is to test through digital only games and refund on steam as needed.

Oh yes, what an insightful take. It’s the gamers’ faults for not pre-ordering a console as early as possible in order to safeguard against price increases. Next time they ought to wise up and buy the console years before the games they want to play are released.

I’m just glad to see these frugal Japanese gamers get punished for their hubris. Serves them right. God bless Jim Ryan for dispensing some tough love, American style.
Jim Ryan isn't American, he's British afaik, and yes, if you want to pay rrp, be the first to get the tech you need and pre order.
People that want to sit and wait are then at the mercy of the market and external factors. It's their gamble, sometimes goes their way, sometimes it doesn't.
The last few years should have tought people something about it. Look at the pc market for example, GPUs released 2 years ago and immediately prices went up 2 to 3 times in some cases. Tech shortages are a thing and these people should be pretty thankful the increase is as marginal as it is. Supply and demand and all that...

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Man this whole caveman-ish "PS5 $550, GAMING PC $8000 me no compute" take I keep seeing in this thread is gamefaqs level of embarrassing

Look at the system requirements of PC/PS5 ports or games in general these days

I could name like 12 other reasons but its depressing.....Has GAF fallen off this much?

ArtHands

Jim Ryan isn't American, he's British afaik, and yes, if you want to pay rrp, be the first to get the tech you need and pre order.
People that want to sit and wait are then at the mercy of the market and external factors. It's their gamble, sometimes goes their way, sometimes it doesn't.
The last few years should have tought people something about it. Look at the pc market for example, GPUs released 2 years ago and immediately prices went up 2 to 3 times in some cases. Tech shortages are a thing and these people should be pretty thankful the increase is as marginal as it is. Supply and demand and all that...

It is next to impossible to acquire a PS5 and a GPU in many places like Japan right since day one, even for pre-orders.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Such a weird argument. If you don’t already have a top of the line pc for a specific purpose odds are you wouldn’t use it for anything other than gaming if you got one.

Either way you slice it pc parts are gonna go up also, theres no escaping inflation.

You don’t need a top of the line PC to play the latest games.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Man this whole caveman-ish "PS5 $550, GAMING PC $8000 me no compute" take I keep seeing in this thread is gamefaqs level of embarrassing

I could name like 12 other reasons but its depressing.....Has GAF fallen off this much?

That's how you tell these guys have 0 knowledge about PC gaming at all. Its just embarrassing

I dont understand your frustration, a ps5 starts at 400 dollars in the US.

Tams

Gold Member
That's how you tell these guys have 0 knowledge about PC gaming at all. Its just embarrassing
Yes, it is ridiculous.

But you can't get a decent gaming PC for $500ish unless you are prepared to go used. For new closest is the Steam Deck (and new AYAs when they come out), but they aren't comparable spec wise and aren't easy to use on an external display.

Top Bottom