• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesRadar "Japanese players are begging for Final Fantasy 16 on Steam after the PS5 price hike"

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
https://www.gamesradar.com/japanese...fantasy-16-on-steam-after-the-ps5-price-hike/
Japanese players have gotten Final Fantasy 16 trending on Twitter in the wake of newly-announced PS5 price hikes, and many of them are hoping for a PC port so they won't have to shell out for new console hardware.
As a result of the price increase, FF16 is now trending(opens in new tab) in Japan on Twitter, as aitaikimochi notes(opens in new tab). Many of those players are Final Fantasy fans simply lamenting that the price of the console is likely to keep them away from the next entry in the series.
Others are hoping to play FF16 on their gaming PCs. The vagaries of machine translation make it difficult to pin down precise quotes, but Steam and Epic keep coming up(opens in new tab), and it seems calls for a PC port - in the vein of Final Fantasy 7 Remake - are getting louder. Some players are wishing(opens in new tab) FF16 will be released on PS4, too, but calls for that PC port are much more common.

The PS5 price hike leading Japanese gamers to push for more PC games is certainly a welcome move.

I got a feeling that the release of Steam Deck and the PS5 price hike is causing PC gaming to gain momentum in Japan right now.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Any explanation as to why Japan gets the price hike but the US does not? Seems backwards.
Xbox is strong in the US, so they didn't want to fudge the price.

Just to prove currency exchange effect is a BS statement, Japan got bumped up 10% yet Sony does their quarterly earnings in Yen. Local sales dont get affected by currency swings since it's the exact same currency. Also, despite shipping costs going up during covid, PS5 is made in Japan or China. So transportation costs to serve Japan will be a lot lower than shipping half way around the world.

Yet Japan still got a 10% hike like other regions.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FF XVI for PlayStation 5, nor will they purchase any of Sony’s first party titles. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel the PS5 price increase or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FF XVI for PlayStation 5, nor will they purchase any of Sony’s first party titles. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel the PS5 price increase or you can kiss your business goodbye.
giphy.gif

Definitely sounds like you are an expert….

ManaByte

Last edited:

Lasha

Xbox is strong in the US, so they didn't want to fudge the price.

Just to prove currency exchange effect is a BS statement, Japan got bumped up 10% yet Sony does their quarterly earnings in Yen. Local sales dont get affected by currency swings since it's the exact same currency. Also, despite shipping costs going up during covid, PS5 is made in Japan or China. So transportation costs to serve Japan will be a lot lower than shipping half way around the world.

Yet Japan still got a 10% hike like other regions.

Manufacturing and logistics are either dollar denominated or charged at the prevailing exchange rate. Your scenario only works if the PS5 were made entirely in Japan using Japanese resources.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I made my thoughts on the price hike clear in another thread (summary: very bad) but I do find it amusing that somehow these gamers who wanted a PS5 will now say "too rich for my blood! I'd rather spend 3x more ¥¥¥ I seemingly can't afford on a competent PC!"

Anyway, I'm sure it'll come to PC...a year later.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Manufacturing and logistics are either dollar denominated or charged at the prevailing exchange rate. Your scenario only works if the PS5 were made entirely in Japan using Japanese resources.
Pretty sure it costs more to transport PS5s half way around the world to Europe than having them being built and shipped within Japan, or from China to Japan.

ArtHands

Do the Japanese plan on buying a second PS5 when the next Final Fantasy comes out?

How is buying a PC similarly spec to the PS5 cheaper?

The Japanese aren't making much sense.

You can buy a laptop or mid end PC in stores easily, you can't buy a PS5 without winning a raffle or a huge sum to scalpers. Or maybe they already have a PC/laptop that they bought several years ago during the PS4 era.

And the scalpers are going to increase their asking price even further now that Sony is introducing price hike.

Last edited:

Stuart360

lol what a load of garbage. The price hike is unfortunate but we are not talking like $100+ or soemthing. Probably 1 out every 100 gamers that want a PS5 will of been put off by the extra $30 or whatever it is.
Unless this is a principle thing with Japanese gamers.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I made my thoughts on the price hike clear in another thread (summary: very bad) but I do find it amusing that somehow these gamers who wanted a PS5 will now say "too rich for my blood! I'd rather spend 3x more ¥¥¥ I seemingly can't afford on a competent PC!"

Anyway, I'm sure it'll come to PC...a year later.
Or maybe… they already have a PC and don’t want to buy a PS5 for one game?

You think these port beggars are people who just really want to build a new gaming PC and play it there instead?

Last edited:
Pretty sure it costs more to transport PS5s half way around the world to Europe than having them being built and shipped within Japan, or from China to Japan.
It isn't just shipping. Most/all of the parts that actually make the console come from china. You have to pay the suppliers in Chinese yuan to buy the parts. If the yen drops 25% against the Yuan, the consoles now cost 25% more in materials to build. It's even worse when they are built in China, because then they also have to pay them salaries and building rent and everything else in Yuan to build it too.

Last edited:

Neofire

Hold up.....so they can't buy a 550 dollar machine but can afford a 1k plus gaming PC(because ff16 isn't running on a 400 dell) 🤔 sound like an agenda to me lol.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
100% sure the cost to manufacture a ps5 is the same regardless of where you intend to ship it.
It isn't just shipping. Most/all of the parts that actually make the console come from china. You have to pay the suppliers in Chinese yuan to buy the parts. If the yen drops 25% against the Yuan, the consoles now cost 25% more in materials to build. It's even worse when they are built in China, because then they also have to pay them salaries and building rent and everything else in Yuan to build it too.
If that's the case why does the US get zero price increase, while Canada goes up? When both of these places are located in the same general location and both their currency exchange effects against the Yen have been the same the past 5 years.

Neofire

"PS5 price increased by 50 dollars!!?? ill buy a thousand dollars PC then!!!"

some people :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
Same thing I said 🤣🤣

You can buy a laptop or mid end PC in stores easily, you can't buy a PS5 without winning a raffle or a huge sum to scalpers. Or maybe they already have a PC/laptop that they bought several years ago during the PS4 era.

And the scalpers are going to increase their asking price even further now that Sony is introducing price hike.
Dude the price is still astronomical compared to a PS5. Whether you are having trouble finding a ps5 or not. Like people have said the notion of buying a PC that's twice the price and complaining about a 50 dollar increase of the ps5 makes no damn sense lol no matter how you spin it.

ArtHands

lol what a load of garbage. The price hike is unfortunate but we are not talking like $100+ or soemthing. Probably 1 out every 100 gamers that want a PS5 will of been put off by the extra $30 or whatever it is.
Unless this is a principle thing with Japanese gamers.

The stock shortage issue is much more severe in Japan (and various countries) compared to US, so the frustration level of the Japanese is going to be much higher. No regular drops on Amazon, PS Direct, stores etc.

The price hike is just the catalyst. The $50+ price hike is a lot outside US nowadays.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
FF16 was announced as a Console Exclusive so it will release on PC as well. They used the same terminology for Godfall, Deathloop, Ghostwire and Forspoken.

No need to port beg. It will come. Sony might now end up paying to delay the port from being released day one but it will eventually come.

P.S Absolutely hilarious that Jim Ryan saw the PS5 shortage and then started porting exclusives to PC even boasting to investors that they will increase their PC revenue 4x by releasing everything. Inadvertently creating this expectation that PS exclusives will eventually come to PC. What a hilarious unforced error.

If that's the case why does the US get zero price increase, while Canada goes up? When both of these places are located in the same general location and both their currency exchange effects against the Yen have been the same the past 5 years.
America is the opposite actually. Americans pay $500 USD to buy a console today. They paid $500 USD to buy a console on November 12, 2020 when it was released. However, on November 12, 2020 the yen was 104 yen to $1 USD. Right now it is at 137 yen to $1 USD. But just like the USD retail price hasn't changed, the local yen expenses haven't changed (discounting inflation/raises). So if they paid some guy 10 million yen a year salary in Japan in November 12, 2020, they are still paying him 10 million yen a year today. So just do the math of "how many American PS5 consoles does it take to pay this guys salary?"

November 12, 2020 they had to sell 192 PS5 consoles in America to pay for that guys salary (10,000,000 / ($500 x 104)
Today, they only have to sell 146 PS5 consoles in America to pay for that guys salary (10,000,000 / ($500 x 137)

Of course, this ignores inflation entirely. And any currency hedging, or other business uses (for instance, they probably aren't converting those dollars to yen, they are probably using them to pay their US developers salaries meaning the currency benefits are a wash). It actually reveals a weakness for them because they are a Japanese company but have to pay almost all of their developers expensive USD/GBP salaries because they have neglected their Japanese studios.

ArtHands

Same thing I said 🤣🤣

Dude the price is still astronomical compared to a PS5. Whether you are having trouble finding a ps5 or not. Like people have said the notion of buying a PC that's twice the price and complaining about a 50 dollar increase of the ps5 makes no damn sense lol no matter how you spin it.

The PC isn't just a machine for gaming, which justify paying more if they are planning to use it for their work and hobby too (video producers, 3D modellers, photographers, small business owners, digital artists, musicians, streamers, professionals working from home etc). Many people might already have a PCs for these non-gaming purpose, and now they want to do gaming on these existing PCs instead of buying a new consoles to save money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom