• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesRadar: Sorry Redfall, I'm not going back to 30FPS console games

Fredrik

I wholeheartedly disagree. More frames of animation and snappier feedback to movement absolutely makes a world of difference in any game. Adventure games where you’re dealing with combat and platforming benefits immensely.

Red Dead 2 especially, is my biggest example of how a game can go from feeling like shit, to feeling good. I hated it on PS4, but on PC it’s my GoAT.

I can’t even play the Assassin’s Creed games on Switch (regretted that purchase), because of how awful the games feel. Response is like wading in mud.
DF said most of the sluggliness there come from the animation system, it’s faster on PC but definitely not a night and day difference, the game is always prioritizing animation smoothness no matter the framerate, it’s still hilariously sluggish on PC too.
EVDFqbi.png

No idea what higher framerates than 60 would do though. What framerates were you getting?

Last edited:
What was the point of Microsoft buying Bethesda if all their games will be launching at 30 fps? I figured the extra money from Microsoft would allow time and optimizations so we wouldn't run into these issues.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
DF said most of the sluggliness there come from the animation system, it’s faster on PC but definitely not a night and day difference, the game is always prioritizing animation smoothness no matter the framerate, it’s still hilariously sluggish on PC too.
EVDFqbi.png

No idea what higher framerates than 60 would do though. What framerates were you getting?

I’ll have to reinstall it with my current card. I was pushing past 60fps with my 3070ti, and I could feel a difference.
Keep in mind I said PS4/PS4 Pro which was probably worse than the Xbox One X result.

But this extends to any action/adventure game. God of War 2008 and Days Gone feel so much better on my PC, as I’m sure it does for PS5 users with an update.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
EDIT: It seems like Arkane is stuck doing lesser games now. Are they only aproving multiplayer shit for them? Who the fuck is greelighting this?

They were one of the best single player focused studio last gen, and late gen before that one too. Getting multiplayer focused games from them feels like eating vegetarian food on mcdonalds, it can still be good, but fuck this shit.

Lesser games? Redfall’s been in development/conception since 2018 or so, and is Arkane’s biggest title yet.

Redfall can be played multiplayer, but it’s not multiplayer focused. I’m sure they’re tired of clarifying this at this point.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What was the point of Microsoft buying Bethesda if all their games will be launching at 30 fps? I figured the extra money from Microsoft would allow time and optimizations so we wouldn't run into these issues.

All their games launch at 30 ? the games that have launched since the acquisition: Deathloop, Ghostwire, Hi-Fi Rush. All of them have 60 (or 120) FPS modes. Redfall has not launched yet but we already know it will have a 60 FPS mode in a post-launch update, it's not 100% a 30 FPS game like Gotham Knights will remain.

I love the smell of hyperbole in the morning.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

All their games launch at 30 ? the games that have launched since the acquisition: Deathloop, Ghostwire, Hi-Fi Rush. All of them have 60 (or 120) FPS modes. Redfall has not launched yet but we already know it will have a 60 FPS mode in a post-launch update, it's not 100% a 30 FPS game like Gotham Knights will remain.

It's a really weird argument in the first place, because more money invested might lead to innovations that weren't possible last gen (crazy physics, AI, battle scale, etc.) that could cause games to lean the other way. With this logic Sony should just build all of their games for 120hz, look at the money they are spending on those things. Or go back and make PS2 games and see if you can hit 240. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Redfall and Starfield are by far the most important projects coming out of Bethesda

I apologize I misspoke, I meant upcoming games, red fall and starfield.

AmuroChan

This is why I mostly do not play games on day 1. I'm happy to wait and play them later when patches have been released and the experience is better.

Also, I don't care that much about 60fps for certain genres, but for a shooter, I just can't go back to 30fps.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Funny as they will happily gush over Zelda 30 fps.

Last I checked, the Switch is a portable system that is about 6 years old. Heck, 6 years ago, many big games on consoles more powerful than Switch were only 30fps.

If Zelda was releasing on PS5 or Xbox at only 30fps, I'm sure it would be getting the same criticism. People trying to compare games releasing on new hardware to Zelda is kind of hilarious

DaGwaphics

Last I checked, the Switch is a portable system that is about 6 years old. Heck, 6 years ago, many big games on consoles more powerful than Switch were only 30fps.

If Zelda was releasing on PS5 or Xbox at only 30fps, I'm sure it would be getting the same criticism. People trying to compare games releasing on new hardware to Zelda is kind of hilarious

I think the reason people bring that up isn't so much about the game itself, but just calling out the grandstanding over the framerate. By next fall or so this might be one of the most hilarious points of conversation in gaming history.

We'll see what Gamesradar thinks down the road. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

FrankWza

Exactly my point. I know about the earlier retracted marketing. Hence "isn't" as in "not currently".
People bought series x at launch though. Even with the change, should be at 60 if the s is at 30. It's currently labeled most powerful xbox ever...

OuterLimits

I think the reason people bring that up isn't so much about the game itself, but just calling out the grandstanding over the framerate. By next fall or so this might be one of the most hilarious points of conversation in gaming history.

We'll see what Gamesradar thinks down the road. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't disagree overall. However, expectations have always been different for portable systems than home consoles. Granted, most were totally fine with 30fps on home consoles until just recently.

If people truly want the current consoles to be "pushed to their limit" they may have to start accepting 30fps again. Or buy pro consoles if they indeed get released down the road.

People bought series x at launch though. Even with the change, should be at 60 if the s is at 30. It's currently labeled most powerful xbox ever...
Is there a more powerful Xbox that we don't know about Frank? Gotham Knights is at 30fps on all platforms and that wasn't the XSS fault when games like Dying Light 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy had higher frames on the higher end consoles which is the way things have been since video gaming was a hobby. No one can point to a game that's doing the same things as Redfall at 60fps on console anywhere else.

Lysandros

Yes, of course. I just wanted to remind about the change made ~2.5 years ago, not making any excuse for the launch state of Redfall.

FrankWza

Is there a more powerful Xbox that we don't know about Frank? Gotham Knights is at 30fps on all platforms and that wasn't the XSS fault when games like Dying Light 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy had higher frames on the higher end consoles which is the way things have been since video gaming was a hobby. No one can point to a game that's doing the same things as Redfall at 60fps on console anywhere else.
No there's a more powerful Xbox than series s. It's a series x. It says so in their marketing. But they're both going to be 30fps versions of Redfall.

FrankWza

Yes, of course. I just wanted to remind about the change made ~2.5 years ago, not making any excuse for the launch state of Redfall.
Oh I remember. They might have to change their current marketing of most powerful xbox if this continues getting this kind of press and social media attention. If they haven't already...

StereoVsn

What's silly here is the defense of "60fps patch is coming". Nobody knows when and even if it ever hits. Not even Arkane, lol.

This is an always online game. If numbers aren't there, it might get shut down in a year for all we know. There are plenty of these examples. Good luck with that patch then.

Games should be evaluated as they are at release. If it's fixed in 6 months or a year, re-evaluate it.

Or if it's f-d up more like Ghostwire that just got Denuvo a year post release, also re-eval it. But the main point is customers should not be buying title with issues on a hypothetical promise of fixes.

Patrick S.

Banned
What's silly here is the defense of "60fps patch is coming". Nobody knows when and even if it ever hits. Not even Arkane, lol.

This is an always online game. If numbers aren't there, it might get shut down in a year for all we know. There are plenty of these examples. Good luck with that patch then.

Games should be evaluated as they are at release. If it's fixed in 6 months or a year, re-evaluate it.

Or if it's f-d up more like Ghostwire that just got Denuvo a year post release, also re-eval it. But the main point is customers should not be buying title with issues on a hypothetical promise of fixes.
Yeah, "a patch is coming" means jack shit to me after living through the Cyberpunk 2077 launch. Some patches came here and there, but the first "meaningful" patch took more than a year to materialize.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Why would a single player game with a coop mode get shut down in a year because of player counts?

I think you've confused it with a BR game that needs hundreds/thousands of players to fill lobbies in order to keep the matches going. This is a game that you play by yourself or with a few of your friends. 🤷‍♂️

StereoVsn

Why would a single player game with a coop mode get shut down in a year because of player counts?

I think you've confused it with a BR game that needs hundreds/thousands of players to fill lobbies in order to keep the matches going. This is a game that you play by yourself or with a few of your friends. 🤷‍♂️
Because it's an online only game. So you have to pay for the servers, security, updates and more. It's not just fire and forget now days.

Due to that, if user counts fall, it can get shut down in same manner as other always online games. Which is why always online sucks.

Because it's an online only game. So you have to pay for the servers, security, updates and more. It's not just fire and forget now days.

Due to that, if user counts fall, it can get shut down in same manner as other always online games. Which is why always online sucks.

It's not online only. They have removed that requirement.

DaGwaphics

In a world where MS can't afford to keep servers online that are primarily doing check-ins and stat tracking, I guess you'd have a point. Maybe they could open a donations website to keep it going. 🤭

In reality though, I don't think MS will cut bait on first-party games in a year due to server costs. Last I checked Bleeding Edge was still online and fully playable 3yrs later.

AmuroChan

Zelda is also not a shooter. If there's one genre where the framerate is vitally important, it's shooters.

Yeah the article told me .. so now I hate 30 fps... not everyone is a shill who listens to phil "the god" spencer talks and turn into gospel ....some of us can read something and think for ourselfs.. gtfo

All you do is complain about shills, while shilling for your own plastic box.

You need to chill, every post is the same mess.

StereoVsn

In a world where MS can't afford to keep servers online that are primarily doing check-ins and stat tracking, I guess you'd have a point. Maybe they could open a donations website to keep it going. 🤭

In reality though, I don't think MS will cut bait on first-party games in a year due to server costs. Last I checked Bleeding Edge was still online and fully playable 3yrs later.
The issue is why bother with his mediocre looking and playing title at all? I guess it's fine for folks with GamePass to take a look and likely immediately delete, but for everyone else, it's going to tank in sales.

So why would a customer trust Bethesda, Arcane or MS here? "Show me the receipts" so to speak.

It's not online only. They have removed that requirement.

No, they said they would look at possibility unless there have been a very recent change.

Salz01

After this Arkane, will most likely be used to help Activision pump out more COD games. At least then they might learn how to make a 60 fps title.

StereoVsn

After this Arkane, will most likely be used to help Activision pump out more COD games. At least then they might learn how to make a 60 fps title.
Thing is with MS why not have them work on what they do best which are single player great games?

DaGwaphics

The issue is why bother with his mediocre looking and playing title at all?

I don't know. Could be that StereoVsn StereoVsn isn't the end all opinion on what makes a fun game in their eyes.

There are a lot of really popular games that aren't to my taste, neither in gameplay, nor in visuals. It happens.

I'll have an opinion on Redfall some time after the the 2nd of May.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Is ghostwire Tokyo 30fps as well? I was watching my son play it yesterday on series x and I thought it looked below average. I’m pretty sure it was 30. Am I wrong?

Ozriel

M$FT
The issue is why bother with his mediocre looking and playing title at all? I guess it's fine for folks with GamePass to take a look and likely immediately delete, but for everyone else, it's going to tank in sales.

You've gone forward in time and read the reviews? Played the game?

Thing is with MS why not have them work on what they do best which are single player great games?

They started work on Redfall YEARS before the acquisition, and are very happy to make this game...it's their most ambitious title thus far. For Arkane, this is what they do best.

You're really on a roll today with a constant stream of misinformed chatter.

CGNoire

christ, this article is everything wrong with modern gaming, journalists, and lack of drive, competition and ambition.

0/10. Would not subscribe.

Lmao I hope he isn't talking about graphics. The game does not look awesome. These journalists are ridiculous.

Both cross gen releases. They are not "powerhouses".

And yet I bet his jaw dropped at all the UE5 tech demos the other day. I bet you want your games to look like that in the future. But screw it, lets just stop graphical progression right here. Hogwarts and Forspoken are good enough.

Just buy a PC and play on low at 500fps.

Some of us have higher ambitions than "nice-looking". We want NEXT GENERATION GAMING.

Destruction.
Insane Fidelity.
Next Gen physics.
Larger scale battles.
Smarter A.I
Advanced Game design.

Where are the articles about that?

How come NONE of these journalists ever write about that? Why is it always framerate? Like, you can't think of anything else that would enhance your gaming experience more than.. 60fps?

Not as snappy as mobile games. Next gen is here.

Ah yes. high framerate. Next gen is here.

Maybe if you dudes wrote articles calling out the complete lack of advancement in spaces like: Destruction, physics, AI, fidelity, larger scale battles, game design being stuck in the PS360 era, we'd have more to look forward to than fucking framerate and quick loading times.

Let devs make the game they want. Sacrificing everything else in the name of framerate is a stupid thing to do. You'll get a 40fps Performance mode and you'll be fine. Otherwise buy a PC.
I like you.....I like you alot.

StereoVsn

You've gone forward in time and read the reviews? Played the game?

They started work on Redfall YEARS before the acquisition, and are very happy to make this game...it's their most ambitious title thus far. For Arkane, this is what they do best.

You're really on a roll today with a constant stream of misinformed chatter.
What misinformed chatter ? The game doesn't look good in previews, in released videos or most of commentary. We shall see in reviews, but expectations should be very low for this one. Developer pulled 60 fps performance mode close to release. This is an online only game.

Arkane's last title wasn't particularly great, nor did it sell well either. So what is my misinformed chatter exactly?

Point being that potentially empty promises for future fixes cannot be utilized to sell games if customers half any sort of relevant common sense left. We have seen issues many times over last couple years with broken or badly performing games on PC being released and sold on promises of future improvement.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
While disappointed that it won't be 60fps, 4k or have Ray tracing....im gonna put on my big boy pants and play the game. Maybe play it again when it get 60fps patched in.

Let's also not pretend Redfall is the lone bastion keeping the 30fps flame alive. This entire gen has been a fucking disappointment for both Sony and XBox as far as technical achievements in console gaming.

StereoVsn

While disappointed that it won't be 60fps, 4k or have Ray tracing....im gonna put on my big boy pants and play the game. Maybe play it again when it get 60fps patched in.

Let's also not pretend Redfall is the lone bastion keeping the 30fps flame alive. This entire gen has been a fucking disappointment for both Sony and XBox as far as technical achievements in console gaming.
Eh, most big games have 60 fps mode now days, or at least 40 fps in case of Sony. Its rare that we don't even get 1080p option with upscaling.

Top Bottom