• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesRadar: Sorry Redfall, I'm not going back to 30FPS console games

Poltz

XSX isn't marketed as the world's most powerful console either.
This is gaslighting.
NFmaMrx.jpg

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
DF said most of the sluggliness there come from the animation system, it’s faster on PC but definitely not a night and day difference, the game is always prioritizing animation smoothness no matter the framerate, it’s still hilariously sluggish on PC too.
EVDFqbi.png

No idea what higher framerates than 60 would do though. What framerates were you getting?
Don't use vsync even less with triple buffering...

SegaShack

Is this journalist new to the industry? He acts shocked over visuals looking better in pre-release footage. This has happened for decades.

therealmoonface

Neo Member
Is the game fun to play? If yes, play, if no, stop. Frame rates, resolutions, particle effects, ray tracing, bullshit bullshit bullshit, I don’t play buzzwords.

DeaDPo0L84

Console gamers "we want 60fps!!!"

*devs make sacrifice to get game to run @ 60fps*

Console gamers "why does this look worse then the original gameplay footage!!!"

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I understand having a preference for >30fps, but not playing a game because it's 30 FPS is outrageous as far as I'm concerned. When did we stop playing games because they were good games, and only play them as long as the framerate/resolution was above some arbitrary threshold
The problem is that a lot of the time how good a game is can be directly impacted by its framerate. Not always of course. Also for me once I experience 60 fps consistently it’s a bit jarring to go back.

I agree it’s silly to arbitrarily say no to trying games at 30 fps though. Many games are fine at 30 fps.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Can anyone name any open world, untethered 4-player co-op, 1st person shooters that run at 60 fps on consoles? I'd like to see how other games pulled it off. Also does anyone actually care if this game is good or is the framerate the most important thing?
Destiny 2
The Division 2
Far Cry

All are similar to Redfall in one way or another, look great, and run at 60 FPS. Division 2 is the closest.

Inviusx

This has been a generation defined by choice in more ways than one. I dont think 30 fps is inevitable at all. Developers must have stacks of data to show that their performance modes are preferred, even if some players can't express the technical reason why I'm sure they just instinctively know it feels better.

A 30fps cap is outdated and the symptom of a previous generation that was largely unable to provide players with choices due to hardware limitations.

Just because last gen was hamstrung by weak technology doesn't mean it's what players/developers want.

DaGwaphics

They all run at 60 FPS on the newer consoles, not on the hardware they natively came out on.

Let's not forget that.

IKR, that's a weird group of games to put together. We know that Redfall is going to get a patch, so, with this one it will eventually support 60 on base hardware. But even if it didn't, I'm sure it would be 60 on the next round of hardware. It's hard to even put together what the point of that post was supposed to be. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

If a game is 30fps only on current consoles, it better look goddamn amazing. 30fps or poor performance in games that look like they could be cross gen, fuck off with that shit. Seems like it’s always UE4 too.

Destiny 2
The Division 2
Far Cry

All are similar to Redfall in one way or another, look great, and run at 60 FPS. Division 2 is the closest.
And as I said earlier all those games are last generation, not untethered co-op, and Division and Destiny aren't fully open world. Gotham Knights is the closest example. Guess what? 30fps even on PlayStation 5. Gotham Knights will never get an update to 60fps on console ever. I think people are making more of this than it really is. It's hardly something to have histrionics over.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They all run at 60 FPS on the newer consoles, not on the hardware they natively came out on.

Let's not forget that.
And? It's literally the same console. One game runs at 60 FPS on it, while another doesn't.

Anyway, DarkMage619 DarkMage619 was asking if there are other games like Redfall (co-op, open-world, etc.) that run at 60 FPS, and I shared a few.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
And as I said earlier all those games are last generation, not untethered co-op, and Division and Destiny aren't fully open world. Gotham Knights is the closest example. Guess what? 30fps even on PlayStation 5. Gotham Knights will never get an update to 60fps on console ever. I think people are making more of this than it really is. It's hardly something to have histrionics over.
The goalposts have moved. Why does last generation matter when those games I listed look even better than Redfall?

You asked for the list, and I have provided a list.

Also, you added a very weird set of filters: co-op, untethered, open-world. Now you are saying it must also be a current-gen exclusive? Next, you will say that but those games don't have vampires, so they don't count?

Rykan

Have you actually played either of them? Neither are actually open world. Hell, is Redfall even actually open world?

I mean you listed Destiny 2, I guess you don’t really know what an open world game is.
I played the original Division quite a while ago, and I think I remember it being open world? What makes it not open world?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And? It's literally the same console. One game runs at 60 FPS on it, while another doesn't.

Anyway, DarkMage619 DarkMage619 was asking if there are other games like Redfall (co-op, open-world, etc.) that run at 60 FPS, and I shared a few.

Pretty big oversight to not mention that the 60 FPS games you're talking about are not native to this generation lol and are patched last-gen games.

If Redfall is still 30 FPS when Xbox Series Squared comes out then it'll be something, but right now you're comparing cross-gen games to a current-gen only game.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Have you actually played either of them? Neither are actually open world. Hell, is Redfall even actually open world?

I mean you listed Destiny 2, I guess you don’t really know what an open world game is.
I have. It's an open-world game.

I've also posted IGN's, Reddit's, and GR's links that also call The Division 2 an open-world game. Because it's an open-world game.

Have you played The Division 2? What makes it a not open world game?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Pretty big oversight to not mention that the 60 FPS games you're talking about are not native to this generation lol and are patched last-gen games.

If Redfall is still 30 FPS when Xbox Series Squared comes out then it'll be something, but right now you're comparing cross-gen games to a current-gen only game.
Nope.

Darkmage asked if there are other open-world co-op games that run at 60 FPS. And I shared a list of games that match those criteria. He never said that the game must be a current-gen exclusive (or must have vampires, or must have "Red" in the title lol).

Can anyone name any open world, untethered 4-player co-op, 1st person shooters that run at 60 fps on consoles?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Nope.

Darkmage asked if there are other open-world co-op games that run at 60 FPS. And I shared a list of games that match those criteria. He never said that the game must be a current-gen exclusive (or must have vampires, or must have "Red" in the title lol).

Well if you're gonna nitpick what he said like that, he mentioned the last gen thing long before.

That game came out on PS4 and X1 and as you acknowledged it isn't really open world either. Gotham Knights is the only game that really comes close. It's only 2 player co-op and it isn't 60fps on consoles either. I could really understand the demand for 60fps on this particular game if there were clear examples of other games doing the same thing at 60fps. I also happen to think that the game being fun should be the primary concern. If the game is horrible would 60fps really fix that?

So, yes, you did name a couple of games that may or may not be open world and run at 60 FPS on modern consoles.

However, they are all games rooted in last gen hardware.

But I am happy that you've stopped bringing up back 4 blood finally :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Well if you're gonna nitpick what he said like that, he mentioned the last gen thing long before.

So, yes, you did name a couple of games that may or may not be open world and run at 60 FPS on modern consoles.

However, they are all games rooted in last gen hardware.
What does "may or may not be open world and run at 60 FPS on modern consoles" mean?

1) Those games ARE open-world
2) They DO run at 60 FPS on modern consoles.

adamsapple

What does "may or may not be open world and run at 60 FPS on modern consoles" mean?

1) Those games ARE open-world
2) They DO run at 60 FPS on modern consoles.

May as in Destiny's status as an open world game is pretty questionable. It has planets and within them zones connected by wide corridors, not a big open world like Skyrim, Gotham Knights or Redfall. Division 2, I'll give you that, it's like Spider Man, a small but dense 'open world'.

And yes they're cross-gen 60 FPS games. There is no disputing that. But that's not what DarkMage619 DarkMage619 was asking for.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007
Destiny 2 is not an open word.

Its neither an open world game nor a single player game. There are open world patrol zones to explore and where activities and other missions take place in but most game time will come from instanced activities with other players.

Online open world game is like ESO. You need to travel from 1 settings to another and not being confined to a specific zone.

Destin 2 doesn't have that.

Barakov

Gold Member
5m7ga8khuym8F9WooHGLHM-1200-80.jpg.webp

We recently learned that Redfall is going to hit Xbox Series X/S without a Performance Mode, locking the game to a 30FPS Quality Mode until a patch arrives sometime after release. Now, I need to speak to Redfall directly here: You look awesome, and I've spent a lot of years loving console games that ran at 30FPS - or worse. But PS5 and Xbox Series X have given us a glimpse of a glorious future where console games can run at 60FPS, and I'm not willing to give that up now.

Obviously, 60FPS performance modes are not yet universal on current-gen consoles. But we've begun to expect modern games - even gorgeous cinematic powerhouses like Sony's Horizon Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok - to offer the option to go beyond 30FPS. These options have been common at least in part because many of these games were also built with the previous generation in mind, and if something can run to a reasonable standard on PS4 and Xbox One, surely it can be that much better on newer hardware.

That's about all the technical analysis you're going to get here, because I'm not qualified to provide much more and it ultimately doesn't matter much. 60FPS games simply feel dramatically better to play, and now that I've spent nearly three years getting used to console games with higher frame rates, I don't think there's any level of graphical fidelity impressive enough to make me willing to go back.

Redfallen​

Redfall is a particularly curious example, given how the vast majority of pre-launch gameplay videos we've seen have been recorded at 60FPS, an experience console players will be unable to enjoy for some (unknown amount of) time.

That makes this sudden Performance Mode announcement feel like a bit of a bait and switch. For as dumb as controversies like Spider-Man's puddlegate are, console Redfall fans are genuinely going to get a launch experience that is demonstrably less smooth than what we've seen in extensive pre-release footage.

Plus this is a cooperative action game, one that'll presumably offer rewards for taking on enemies at escalating difficulty levels over time. I'm sure none of that will be impossible at 30FPS, but when that 60FPS patch hits it's going to feel like the training weights have come off. But I don't think I'm going to have the patience to wait for that moment.

The new-gen crossroads​

6rCYTxmfT7HNE5QRreAdNF-1200-80.jpg.webp

This console generation is finally hitting its stride, and we're starting to see a strong run of current-gen exclusives. Games like the Dead Space remake and Forspoken have continued to offer 60FPS Performance Modes, while games like A Plague Tale: Requiem and Redfall are purely offering 30FPS options. We're at a bit of a crossroads here, and as devs start to really push the capabilities of the new machines, they're going to start asking the question: do we prioritize fancy visuals or smooth performance?

For me, that question is barely worth asking. We've seen loads of nice-looking games this generation already, but the true revelation of PS5 and Xbox Series X has been just how fast and snappy everything is. Quick resume, instant loading times, and, yes, high framerates. These are the features that have defined the new console generation, not better lighting or antialiasing.

Please, developers, I'm begging you. If you have to make me choose between Performance Mode and Quality Mode at launch, give me the one that actually makes the game play better.

Fingers crossed that more than a few of the biggest new games for 2023 will go the 60FPS route.

The Office Reaction GIF

The normies are finally getting with the program.

The goalposts have moved. Why does last generation matter when those games I listed look even better than Redfall?

You asked for the list, and I have provided a list.

Also, you added a very weird set of filters: co-op, untethered, open-world. Now you are saying it must also be a current-gen exclusive? Next, you will say that but those games don't have vampires, so they don't count?
Because the technical requirements for what Redfall is doing isn't happening in Destiny, Division, and Far Cry. My metrics are what Redfall is doing. The closest is Gotham Knights. That was my goal from the beginning and hasn't changed. Pointing to other older games that aren't doing the same thing is meaningless.

Rac3r

Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007
Destiny 2 is not an open word.

Its neither an open world game nor a single player game. There are open world patrol zones to explore and where activities and other missions take place in but most game time will come from instanced activities with other players.

Online open world game is like ESO. You need to travel from 1 settings to another and not being confined to a specific zone.

Destin 2 doesn't have that.

Dude copy and pasted a random steam forum reply LMAO.

Destiny 2 is by definition an open-world game. "In video games, an open world is a virtual world in which the player can approach objectives freely, as opposed to a world with more linear and structured gameplay." Anyone disagreeing is actually retarded.

feynoob

Banned
Dude copy and pasted a random steam forum reply LMAO.

Destiny 2 is by definition an open-world game. "In video games, an open world is a virtual world in which the player can approach objectives freely, as opposed to a world with more linear and structured gameplay." Anyone disagreeing is actually retarded.
It is not. Destiny 2 is false open world. Its not an open world.

I copied that defination, since that term is easy to understand here.

Top Bottom