• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming cliffhangers that never had a resolution

MikeM

SPOILERS:

No, the O'brian ending.

SPOILERS

One of the more recent examples is Days Gone since I doubt they'll ever make a sequel or at least doubt Sony will ever give them the all-clear. :( Fucking shame.

The Office Reaction GIF

alexross

Neo Member
XIII
Beyond good & Evil
PSI-Force
Devastation

They are (in my mind) from the same period of time where every game had to finish with a cliffhanger. Most of them never had a sequel

Warablo

Alan Wake
Quantum Break
Not sure about Control because I didn't finish it.

Deus Ex: MD
Singularity (maybe? I can't remember)
Mirrors Edge 1/2 (sorta, maybe?)

Last edited:

Fahdis

- The Order 1886
- Prince of Persia 2008 (don't give me that 3DS game as the successor, fuck that)
- Killzone: Shadow Fall
- InFamous: Second Son

Fuck Sony... they're the ones setting up Sequel Baiting alllll the fucking time.

Last edited:

wvnative

- The Order 1886
- Prince of Persia 2018 (don't give me that 3DS game as the successor, fuck that)
- Killzone: Shadow Fall
- InFamous: Second Son

Fuck Sony... they're the ones setting up Sequel Baiting alllll the fucking time.
i forgot how infamous second son ended...anybody got a recap?

radewagon

Legacy of Kain, after defiance we get nothing.

You Lose Get Out GIF
While I agree that we need a new game in the series, I never really saw Defiance as a cliffhanger. By having Kain an Raziel create the Soul Reaver that lies at the heart of the series, I always saw Defiance's ending as them closing the loop. For me, Blood Omen 1 and Soul Reaver are where the story goes next so that it can happen all over again and come back to the point where we left Kain (at the conclusion of Defiance) as being free from his predestined fate. Kain's story, as far as I'm concerned is concluded quite nicely.

Some I can remember that may not had been mentioned in this thread yet:
1) Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Cliffhanger ending has Sonic come back from his journey to find that Eggman now rules the world or something. Was intended to be a sequel hook but of course, no sequel, so it was forgotten. No new Sonic games ever address this.

2) Team Innocent (PC-FX). Like Axelay referenced in this thread, the promise of a sequel is explicitly put in the end credits. Unfortunately, this game was devved by Hudson Soft, which means it has something else in common with Axelay - Konami sitting on the IP ownership.

3) While not necessarily Mortal Kombat as a whole, there are several character endings from various games which hint at things that are never followed up on again. The most notable example off the top of my head being Kano's ending in Mortal Kombat I and it's referencing of an event called the "War of the Sans". Fighting games in general are known for just ignoring the character endings that may be inconvenient for their sequel plans.

4) A lot of build up went into a lore event called "The Battle of 1999" for Castlevania, seemingly in the hope that it'd be the featured event of the most ambitious of Castlevania games, only for said event to never actually be seen yet.

5) Mega Man ZX Advent. Final cutscene suddenly reveals someone was a villain all along, seemingly to lead into a third game that never happened. Yeah, Mega Man's gonna have a lot of these....

6) Nintendo's constant mucking up over telling the actual story of the 'Imprisoning War", a notable event in Zelda: LttP's backstory that modern Nintendo seems to consider inconvenient and undesirable. First it was gonna ba OoT, then it wasn't. Then it was gonna be FSA, then it wasn't. Then Twilight Princess happens and becomes mutually exclusive with the Imprisoning War story, forcing Nintendo to pull a third timeline out their rear ends which basically says all but "fuck you guys who want the Imprisoning War". Then to rub further salt in the wound, Skyward Sword contradicts elements some tellings of the Imprisoning War's backstory.

7) Several notable events in Fire Emblem's history that would probably make good games, but never will be made games: Anri's trials, The Scouring, the original Crusade, whatever the heck gave Chrom's dad his rep. Also, many plotlines for minor characters are just left hanging, seemingly for the idea that they might or might pop up in another game at some point where their individual plot can continue, except that happens so rarely it's actually kinda notable when it does.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Whatever a MGSV that didn't have it's balls in Konami's vicegrip would have entailed.

Any of the Resident Evil plot lines that got established in a main title only to be resolved hastily in a Gaiden light gun grid based mmo or whatever.

yamaci17

assassin's creed juno storyline... build her story across 6 games (ac1, ac2, acb, acr, ac3, ac black flag) them dump it and finish it on a comic series. so no, it never reached to a resolution for me. i dont give a care about comics.

prophet re emerges with the help of nanosuit, then what?

theclaw135

Banned
Ace Attorney 6 ignores where the previous game left off. AA5 ended with the Phantom left unidentified, having been attacked by an assailant working for a yet-to-be-revealed villianous organization

While I agree that we need a new game in the series, I never really saw Defiance as a cliffhanger. By having Kain an Raziel create the Soul Reaver that lies at the heart of the series, I always saw Defiance's ending as them closing the loop. For me, Blood Omen 1 and Soul Reaver are where the story goes next so that it can happen all over again and come back to the point where we left Kain (at the conclusion of Defiance) as being free from his predestined fate. Kain's story, as far as I'm concerned is concluded quite nicely.
If you look at it from that perspective, I can agree that Kain's story was mostly resolved. From a wider view, the fate of Nosgoth, the hilden, and what happened with Janos? There is a great deal left unanswered that could have made for an interesting next installment of the series. Personally it's frustrating because there are plenty of examples where there was a series of moderately successful games that never fully realized their stories. Then we get he Last of US part II and games like that. The first game ended in a satisfying manor and there didn't need to be a follow up with those characters IMO. Yet, because it did so well, we end up with a sequel no one asked for, a good number of people didn't like and debatably had a negative impact on how people few the series as a whole now. Full disclosure, I played LoUpII and enjoyed it immensely from a gameplay perspective but the story was no where near the caliber of the first game and when it ended I wasn't left wanting more or gratified in what I had just finished.

SJRB

Gold Member
15288.gif

My boy Adam Jensen not getting closure is terrible, and I hate Square Enix for what they did to Eidos Montreal.

GIVE ME A DEUS EX SEQUEL NOW!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Quantum Break.

It ends with Joyce saying hes going to go back in time to save Beth Wilder.
Cancel all the TV show stuff and make a quick 20 hour game of Joyce figuring out how to go back and save her from her time lock.

The game literally ends with a junction which you;d think would lead to an epilogue depneding whether you go left or right......but nope the game just ends and Remedy and Microsoft are unlikely to ever tackle this.
Id think this generation of consoles and MSs commitment to PC would make for a visually stunning game which imo was a really fun experience....the game never even got a New Game+ update.
hqdefault.jpg

CuNi

Such a fantastic piece of DLC, I was totally hyped when I saw that ending. Such a shame they disbanded the studio. I doubt they'll continue the story in the remake, if they even make it to Dead Space 2 and 3 remake. Would be great though.

I have to be honest. DS3 was a okay-ish game but the worst of the 3 dead space games. If they remake the whole series, I hope they will scrap 3 and go a whole different route.

But I really was heartbroken when I heard they disbanded the studio. The EA killing studios meme really is true after all.

I have to be honest. DS3 was a okay-ish game but the worst of the 3 dead space games. If they remake the whole series, I hope they will scrap 3 and go a whole different route.

But I really was heartbroken when I heard they disbanded the studio. The EA killing studios meme really is true after all.

I still really enjoyed it. A whole lot of hate for that game came from the microtransactions, but those were barely noticeable at all, and especially in co op the game is so fun.

I will admit it was the weakest of the three, but I wouldn't want them to skip it. Just change the things that do not work and keep the stuff that does. I love the setting of the ice planet, the space debree with those old ships and the way they expanded the lore.

CuNi

I still really enjoyed it. A whole lot of hate for that game came from the microtransactions, but those were barely noticeable at all, and especially in co op the game is so fun.

I will admit it was the weakest of the three, but I wouldn't want them to skip it. Just change the things that do not work and keep the stuff that does. I love the setting of the ice planet, the space debree with those old ships and the way they expanded the lore.

I have my biggest issue with the direction the lore went. If they drastically change that, then I'm happy. I did like the settings and locations.

I have my biggest issue with the direction the lore went. If they drastically change that, then I'm happy. I did like the settings and locations.
What specifically? I remember really disliking the love triangle, but liking all the new info on the necromorph origins and purpose.

CuNi

What specifically? I remember really disliking the love triangle, but liking all the new info on the necromorph origins and purpose.

The idea of living moons to be specific. I thought that was way over the top and kinda killed the whole horror setting for me.

The idea of living moons to be specific. I thought that was way over the top and kinda killed the whole horror setting for me.
Understandable. I was able to roll with it, but I can see how for some it's a step too far.

There are quite a few that have annoyed me over the years. But the one that stings the most is still Half-Life 2: Episode 2.

Alyx does a good job of giving me hope for the future, but it's still leaves things unresolved.

Aion002

Shen Mue
Half life
Bloodborne ( eh did i get out of the knightmare )
Megaman
MGS V
Returnal…. Give me the next DLC
Both had resolutions:

MGSV: Play the original Metal Gear.... it starts after the events of V.

Bloodborne: Just like every other Souls game, it doesn't end in a cliffhanger. It's up to the player interpretation of how things ended according to the information that the player was able to gather along the way. Also, if you did the first ending you probably didn't get out of the nightmare...

Dark Souls Rip GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

If you missed stuff: https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Endings

Labadal

I still want Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance III. They made two fun games, and in the second game's ending, they tease the true big bad. Then we got nothing.
:(

Kokoloko85

Both had resolutions:

MGSV: Play the original Metal Gear.... it starts after the events of V.

Bloodborne: Just like every other Souls game, it doesn't end in a cliffhanger. It's up to the player interpretation of how things ended according to the information that the player was able to gather along the way. Also, if you did the first ending you probably didn't get out of the nightmare...

Dark Souls Rip GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

If you missed stuff: https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Endings

I kinda wanna see the more detailed version of venom and big boss. Kaz vs Ocelot etc

Bloodborne I want certain questions answered lol. The PaleBlood Hunt was awesome but I want more lore filled and the Moon presence isnt the last of the great ones I dont think

ShadowLag

Prince of Persia 2008 (even after the post-game DLC).

In the very end,

Elika just runs away from you and the world is still invaded by Ahriman and Prince is by himself. Zero resolution.

It still hurts. I loved that game.

MV5BMGI4M2JjYTAtMmZjYS00MGM0LTgzN2ItOTU1ODg4MjhlYjBlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODg1MTc3MTM@._V1_.jpg

Top Bottom